Things not going well in Kazakhstan

Immaculate Vibes

This is a kick ass time to be in my 20s. All of you that enjoyed that period without global pandemics, supply chain crises, inflationary concerns and climate change disruptions really missed out. 

Oh yeah and all the SJW and cancel culture bullshit resulting in complete political divisiveness. Yeah - it's aweome.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a kick ass time to be in my 20s. All of you that enjoyed that period without global pandemics, supply chain crises, inflationary concerns and climate change disruptions really missed out. 

Oh yeah and all the SJW and cancel culture bullshit resulting in complete political divisiveness. Yeah - it's aweome.

And it's fucking up sports

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cam4mav said:

the government resigned.......? what

In the parliamentary system, like England's, and many other countries, when a party or coalition wins a national election (majority of the parliamentary seats), they install "a government" in the form of all the ministers and prime minister.  Sometimes, when that government fucks up real bad, it resigns entirely, to be replaced by other appointees of the party or by another party or coalition entirely by election.

Also, it appears that they use almost exclusively LP gas for automotive fuel, probably heating and cooking, too.  As much oil is produced there, I guess they have few refineries because LP gas doesn't make much sense, otherwise.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Deployed there a few times during the 2010s and it looks like you would picture the old USSR. People survive on next to nothing, infrastructure none existent. What a complete shit hole but talk about resilient people.

I was gonna say, when were things going right in Kazakhstan? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

So has Putin moved in to "help gain control" yet?
He aleady flexed his muscle when the US had to up their payments for using Manas Airbase. The US was playing like $15 million a year in rent then Russia told the Kyrg govt your not asking enough. So the US ended up paying $60 million a year. Then year's later same rhetoric and influence from Russia and the base shut down in 2014(ish).

My numbers/timeframe may be off but it was a huge deal as that place was a hub for fuel and people in/out of Iraq & Afghanistan. Bright side it had a awesome chow hall.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, gsoda3 said:

what sort of influence does china have in krgyztan?  if the gvt falls how hard will beijing pursue their own interests?  xinjiang is mighty close to the border.

What does Kyrgyzstan have to do with this Kazakhstan thread? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Listen up kid, let me tell you about the satanic panics and political correctness wars of the 80s and 90s.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

One wonders if this will impair Russia's ability to invade Ukraine, as they may need the troops to keep the peace in Kazakhstan.

It absolutely will. German news radio reporting within the past 2 minutes that Kazakhstan has requested Russian assistance under the auspices of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shady Ray said:

It absolutely will. German news radio reporting within the past 2 minutes that Kazakhstan has requested Russian assistance under the auspices of the Collective Security Treaty Organization.

Yep, about to invoke CTSO. Question is what support could the Russians send without pulling off the pressure on the Ukraine. 

The Russian launch station is in Kazakhstan. They could shut down any NASA access for sure. 

One of the things that was really weird last week at the CIS Summit in St. Petersburg was that Putin met separately (publicly and privately) with current KZ President Tokayev, as well as former KZ pres Nazarbayev (who was the autocrat from the post-Soviet days through 2019 and still controls the security services). 

There was speculation at the time that there could be some internal tensions going on that Putin was trying to mediate, as Nazarbayev and Putin go way, way back.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, about to invoke CTSO. Question is what support could the Russians send without pulling off the pressure on the Ukraine. 

The Russian launch station is in Kazakhstan. They could shut down any NASA access for sure. 

I honestly don't know that they could do that without pulling pressure off Ukraine, so Russia is going to be much more inclined to support an immediate crackdown now with hopes that it will essentially fizzle out and be like Belarus II, Central Asian Boogaloo.

It is also worth noting that KZ is an area where China and Russia have legitmate tensions, but at the same time, many of the cities currently up in flames are closer to China...specifically Xinjiang province, where the Chinese are worried about the Uyghur population. One of the big reasons KZ moved its capital from Almaty to Astana (Nur-Sultan) was based on its proximity to China, and therefore, and concerns at the time regarding a demographic shift that was occurring towards a Chinese population.

This has all kinds of possible implications geopolitically. 2022 gonna be absolutely wild.

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

One of the things that was really weird last week at the CIS Summit in St. Petersburg was that Putin met separately (publicly and privately) with current KZ President Tokayev, as well as former KZ pres Nazarbayev (who was the autocrat from the post-Soviet days through 2019 and still controls the security services). 

There was speculation at the time that there could be some internal tensions going on that Putin was trying to mediate, as Nazarbayev and Putin go way, way back.

were they both KGB?  how much influence does china have here?

14 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

were they both KGB?  how much influence does china have here?

I don't think Nazarbayev was. He is ten years older or so, but they would not have been contemporaries during Putin's KGB years. Nazarbayev took over KZ when he was really, really young. Like late thirties or early 40s if I recall correctly. Putin at that time was nothing at all.

I think their relationship was basically just built on Nazarbayev running KZ for the first 20 years of Putin’s time at the top.

Edited to clarify, when I said way, way back, I meant that more in a comparative sense...both had been at the top of their respective countries for decades now (Nazarbayev for 10 years under the soviets, and 30 years post-USSR; and Putin for approx 20 now), which are critical to one another, and from what I understand, that relationship is actually very good and very deep, unlike Putin and Lukashenko, who actually don't get on that well, at all.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

what sort of influence does china have in krgyztan?  if the gvt falls how hard will beijing pursue their own interests?  xinjiang is mighty close to the border.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

What does Kyrgyzstan have to do with this Kazakhstan thread? 

Next, somebody is going to ask about what happened over Macho Grande.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

I honestly don't know that they could do that without pulling pressure off Ukraine, so Russia is going to be much more inclined to support an immediate crackdown now with hopes that it will essentially fizzle out and be like Belarus II, Central Asian Boogaloo.

It is also worth noting that KZ is an area where China and Russia have legitmate tensions, but at the same time, many of the cities currently up in flames are closer to China...specifically Xinjiang province, where the Chinese are worried about the Uyghur population. One of the big reasons KZ moved its capital from Almaty to Astana (Nur-Sultan) was based on its proximity to China, and therefore, and concerns at the time regarding a demographic shift that was occurring towards a Chinese population.

This has all kinds of possible implications geopolitically. 2022 gonna be absolutely wild.

I don't think there would be the same West support if they moved into KZ. This then makes it more of a mopping operations (CT/COIN) leading to a slow burn insurgency more like the Caucus.