Wordle [spoilers inevitable but discouraged]

Prepuce of Doom

32 minutes ago, nnm said:

It’s not like hula hoops or frisbees have 26 page threads on surly. I mean, come on. 

Message boards and social media didn’t exist in those days. But I’ll bet if you go looking you can find online communities with extensive discussions on both. And both hoops and flying discs have been around for decades. Wordle is kind of like a 2x2x2 Rubik’s cube. It’s a little challenging but not too challenging. And it has the benefit of existing in a social media environment where it’s easy to compare your results with others. Maybe I’m wrong but I still think it’s a fad that won’t live for much longer. 

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Message boards and social media didn’t exist in those days. But I’ll bet if you go looking you can find online communities with extensive discussions on both. And both hoops and flying discs have been around for decades. Wordle is kind of like a 2x2x2 Rubik’s cube. It’s a little challenging but not too challenging. And it has the benefit of existing in a social media environment where it’s easy to compare your results with others. Maybe I’m wrong but I still think it’s a fad that won’t live for much longer. 

I agree. It’s a cute little passing fad. Just busting your chops. 

The genius of wordle is not the game itself. The game is just a word version of Mastermind, the two player code breaking game.

The genius of wordle was creating the ability to share your result easily with your friends in a way that let's friends compete and brag but without spoiling the answer.

That's the reason it blew up, not the actual game mechanics.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Aren’t there a bunch of versions out there? Is NYT gonna claim IP and shut them all down to include ads? I hope not, but I don’t see how it’s worth 7 figures. It’s a fad that’ll die down in a few months. We’ve all participated in them and then move on. Remember the quiz show thing that blew up then disappeared?

This is what I’ve got on feedback returned depending on how many guesses it takes you to solve the puzzle:

1. Genius
2. Magnificent 
3. Splendid/Impressive
4. Splendid/Impressive 
5. Great
6. Phew

Is “Hard Mode” really a thing? I had a brain cramp last night and entered a second guess that repeated 2 yellow letters in the same incorrect positions and it accepted that entry. Shouldn’t that have been disallowed? I haven’t tried testing a word that doesn’t include any established green letters. Has anyone tried that? If not then I’ll try that next and report back.

After I stupidly entered a bad second guess late last night, I just deleted my cookies and restarted the puzzle. I entered my same incorrect first guess and went from there. 

3 hours ago, WBT said:

I think it only forces you to use green letters in the correct place and use yellow letters somewhere.  I know it allowed me to reuse a completely wrong letter last week.

Well, it can't rightly force you to use yellow letters in the correct location without thereby giving you the answer. 

2bcc5c3d-6053-4dfd-b150-b1b1ae180f57_text.gif

• Like 1