2021 CFP National Title: Georgia vs Bama

Helobious

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Agreed. Bama passed that test and beat the #1 bestest team in America in early December. Bama's reward? Hey, you have to do it again in early January! It was bullshit when it happened to LSU (vs Bama) and it was bullshit when it happened to Florida State (vs Florida). As long as only four teams get in, two shouldn't come from the same conference. The problem is Bama probably steamrolls Cincy, Michigan, Baylor or whoever else you would've put in there. Therefore, the answer is the playoff needs to be expanded yesterday.

Expanded playoff and we probably still get Bama/UGA.  How many rematches would we have in an expanded playoffs?  Do we have to watch UM/tOSU again?  BU/OSU again?  Bama and UGA are in that small group that simply has a much better roster than everyone else.  I'm sure it's just nostalgia, but I was fine with the bowl system and the arguments about who would have won when the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl winners split the NC.  I was fine with the BCS because we still got competitive bowl games and a game between #1 and #2.  Now, while we can still have some good non-playoff bowls (OSU/ND and BU/Miss), those games still don't always have the teams best players and most bowls are opt out filled meaningless games.  You can argue most bowl games were meaningless before the playoff, but all the players played and "wanted to be there".  Times change and I'll stop scowling at the clouds for now, miss what my recollection is of what college football used to be, and simply await for the years to add up until it's socially acceptable for me to yell at the clouds.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

…and still better than Sherod Harris

I covered some of his HS games at Arlington Bowie and that always seemed like an odd take at QB based on what I saw. He probably would've been a good DB.

23 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

Expanded playoff and we probably still get Bama/UGA.  How many rematches would we have in an expanded playoffs?  Do we have to watch UM/tOSU again?  BU/OSU again?  Bama and UGA are in that small group that simply has a much better roster than everyone else.  I'm sure it's just nostalgia, but I was fine with the bowl system and the arguments about who would have won when the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl winners split the NC.  I was fine with the BCS because we still got competitive bowl games and a game between #1 and #2.  Now, while we can still have some good non-playoff bowls (OSU/ND and BU/Miss), those games still don't always have the teams best players and most bowls are opt out filled meaningless games.  You can argue most bowl games were meaningless before the playoff, but all the players played and "wanted to be there".  Times change and I'll stop scowling at the clouds for now, miss what my recollection is of what college football used to be, and simply await for the years to add up until it's socially acceptable for me to yell at the clouds.  

If that's what we wind up for a final with in a 12-team system, then so be it. After all, it's not unheard of in the basketball tournament, though it's been a long time since it happened. My main point is Bama already beat Georgia in a championship setting. So their reward is having to do it again one month later? I fully understand -- and agree -- that Bama probably would've had a walkover everybody in a 4-team playoff without Georgia.

Just so nobody is confused, my main contention is that the four-team aspect of the playoffs needs to change. Immediately.

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i only watched part of the game i said i would not watch because the wife loves football.

i stand by my assertion that we shouldn't see conference members playing for the national championship.

we already saw this game. bama killed them. now bama was down two players. georgia killed them.

yawn. it's a tie as far as i'm concerned.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Agreed. Bama passed that test and beat the #1 bestest team in America in early December. Bama's reward? Hey, you have to do it again in early January! It was bullshit when it happened to LSU (vs Bama) and it was bullshit when it happened to Florida State (vs Florida). As long as only four teams get in, two shouldn't come from the same conference. The problem is Bama probably steamrolls Cincy, Michigan, Baylor or whoever else you would've put in there. Therefore, the answer is the playoff needs to be expanded yesterday.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yup. When I was a little kid I thought that’s what people meant by “split National Campions” obviously later found out it was just AP vs USAToday, there was no Santa Claus and we are all going to die some day 

Georgia won every game they needed to to win the national championship. Alabama didn't. If they were both 14-1 I might agree but they aren't. Alabama lost to aggy. They should have lost to Auburn and may not have made the playoff had they. They needed to win the SEC title game to keep their hopes alive. Georgia didn't. Thus - I think weighing each game equally is pretty dubious. 

Would you not recognize the March Madness champion because the team they beat in the final they had lost to earlier in the season? Of course not. 

You can not think that the national champion was actually the best team but not recognizing them as champs when they won under the given format is silly. Especially when outside of the SECCG Georgia was the better team all season. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

If rematches trigger people so much then maybe they should cancel the CG if two teams that already played each other advance to the finals.  That better?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

His win is like Manziel’s, there really wasn’t anyone else to give it to.  Maybe in years like this they should vacate the award.

You could watch Manziel play and see that he was a freak on the field. He literally ran circles around defenders. He was the best player on the field every week, even though I hated his team and thought he was a reckless tool of a person.

Nothing about Bryce Young's play is special. He is a good player surrounded by tons of talent that other teams do not have.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i only watched part of the game i said i would not watch because the wife loves football.

i stand by my assertion that we shouldn't see conference members playing for the national championship.

Agreed. If only 4 teams make the playoff, conference mates should have to match up in the first game in order to prevent their championship matchup.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Georgia won every game they needed to to win the national championship. Alabama didn't. If they were both 14-1 I might agree but they aren't. Alabama lost to aggy. They should have lost to Auburn and may not have made the playoff had they. They needed to win the SEC title game to keep their hopes alive. Georgia didn't. Thus - I think weighing each game equally is pretty dubious. 

Would you not recognize the March Madness champion because the team they beat in the final they had lost to earlier in the season? Of course not. 

You can not think that the national champion was actually the best team but not recognizing them as champs when they won under the given format is silly. Especially when outside of the SECCG Georgia was the better team all season. 

Get back to me when the college football playoffs have 68 teams in the field. Let's just take Duke and North Carolina. They could meet in the NCAA tournament in a regional final, the Final Four or the title game and it's very possible it's their fourth meeting of the season (home-and-home in conference, a meeting in conference tournament and one in NCAA tournament). The bottom line for me is that the two teams met, at a neutral field (well, sort of because it was in Georgia) no less, and Bama absolutely donkey-punched them. Why does Georgia get a mulligan? I remember this board -- well, two or three boards ago -- being up in arms the year OU got destroyed by K-State in the Big 12 title game and yet still got to go play in the national championship game. 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If rematches trigger people so much then maybe they should cancel the CG if two teams that already played each other advance to the finals.  That better?

I hate rematches but if it involves two distinct divisions the schedules aren't exactly equal. And they'd never leave a conference championship game up to chance. Yeah, we might have it. We might not. Don't get me started on the stupidity of a round-robin format and then a Big 12 Championship Game.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Agreed. If only 4 teams make the playoff, conference mates should have to match up in the first game in order to prevent their championship matchup.

If it must be, I guess this would be one way to handle it. I still think it would be dumb to run that Bama-Georgia game back-to-back in the SEC title game and national semifinal.

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Mixed emotions about this one.  A good idea actually but Georgia and Alabama were the two best teams this year.  They both won their semis.  I think both Georgia and Bama would have beaten either Cincy or UM.  Why not have the best two teams play in the championship game even if they are from the same conference? They both earned it.  If they had played each other in the semis, the winner of that game most likely crushes either Cincy or UM in the championship.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The only authorized rematch was the 2007 Giants beating the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl after losing to them in the regular season and finishing 2nd place in their own division.

1 hour ago, smwhorn said:

Mixed emotions about this one.  A good idea actually but Georgia and Alabama were the two best teams this year.  They both won their semis.  I think both Georgia and Bama would have beaten either Cincy or UM.  Why not have the best two teams play in the championship game even if they are from the same conference? They both earned it.  If they had played each other in the semis, the winner of that game most likely crushes either Cincy or UM in the championship.  

Not with a 4 team playoff. Either only one team per conference or they should have to play before the final. One conference should not have the table set for them. The over-promotion of the SEC by ESPN has led to this problem. (See ESPN's predictions for 2022 with 3 of the top 4 form the SEC)

I don't even care that we are going to the SEC.

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Not with a 4 team playoff. Either only one team per conference or they should have to play before the final. One conference should not have the table set for them. The over-promotion of the SEC by ESPN has led to this problem. (See ESPN's predictions for 2022 with 3 of the top 4 form the SEC)

I don't even care that we are going to the SEC.

Some real head scratchers from Schlabach. Link : https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32999406/the-2022-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

- Aggy at No. 4, gold medal level mental gymnastics here : 

Outlook: The Aggies took a step back in 2021, which wasn't much of a surprise after they lost four starting offensive linemen and quarterback Haynes King broke his leg in the second game. Now, Texas A&M's defense, its strength this past season, will have to be rebuilt. Defensive coordinator Mike Elko left to become Duke's new coach; Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher hired Mississippi's D.J. Durkin to replace Elko. The entire front four on defense -- tackles Leal and Peevy and top pass-rushers Johnson and Clemons -- are expected to leave. Leading tackler Hansford will have to be replaced, as well. If King is healthy, he'll battle LSU transfer Max Johnson and incoming freshman Weigman, the No. 1 pocket passer in the ESPN 300, for the starting job next season.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Because they went undefeated. Alabama already got their mulligan after losing to aggy. 

They weren't undefeated after the SEC title game. Plus they didn't play anywhere near the same conference schedule as Bama. The West was more difficult than the East, especially with Florida dropping off a cliff. The West had four teams at 10+ in SRS on College Football Reference (Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas and aggy); the East had one (Georgia). The bottom four of the 14 in SRS were all in the East.

And by conference rules, Bama won the West, the tougher side this season (and historically since they went to 14 teams).

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Some real head scratchers from Schlabach. Link : https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32999406/the-2022-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

- Aggy at No. 4, gold medal level mental gymnastics here : 

Outlook: The Aggies took a step back in 2021, which wasn't much of a surprise after they lost four starting offensive linemen and quarterback Haynes King broke his leg in the second game. Now, Texas A&M's defense, its strength this past season, will have to be rebuilt. Defensive coordinator Mike Elko left to become Duke's new coach; Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher hired Mississippi's D.J. Durkin to replace Elko. The entire front four on defense -- tackles Leal and Peevy and top pass-rushers Johnson and Clemons -- are expected to leave. Leading tackler Hansford will have to be replaced, as well. If King is healthy, he'll battle LSU transfer Max Johnson and incoming freshman Weigman, the No. 1 pocket passer in the ESPN 300, for the starting job next season.

Haynes King will never start another game for Texas A&M.

7 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I have to admit. I predicted, privately, that Bama was going to win. I didn't think Georgia's schedule this year really proved the hype that they were the best team in the country with an all-time defense.  I also didn't think Stetson Bennett could lead a team to a championship.  I thought Georgia was exposed for who they really were in the SEC championship game.  I still think, position-by-position, on paper, Bama is a better team than Georgia.  If they play at full strength, I think Bama wins the game 8/10 times.  Losing both of their top receivers really hurt them.  Young threw like 57 times; Bennett had 26 attempts, I think.  Tells you a lot about their respective game plans.  Bill O'Brien was a liability for Bama.

All in all, an entertaining season and an entertaining championship game.  I'm happy for Georgia.  Long time coming for them.  We know the feeling.

Georgia was vastly better than Bama on average this year.  Bama played their best game of the season in the SEC ccg and Georgia played their worst.

Bama looked like us too much this season, dropped passes, missed tackles, poor offensive execution.  They just had better athletes and 2nd string athletes, so they could usually get away with it.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Bama got a gift and Okie St. got the shaft in 2011.  Bama got a gift in 2017 and stole the championship from UGA in OT after a late comeback.

NOBODY should complain because UGA got to do the same thing to Bama.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Either only one team per conference or they should have to play before the final.

So the best game should be in the semis? Last night was much more competitive and entertaining than either semis game. I guess Michigan/Cincy could have been a good game but it would have likely made for a lackluster final.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

They weren't undefeated after the SEC title game. Plus they didn't play anywhere near the same conference schedule as Bama. The West was more difficult than the East, especially with Florida dropping off a cliff. The West had four teams at 10+ in SRS on College Football Reference (Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas and aggy); the East had one (Georgia). The bottom four of the 14 in SRS were all in the East.

And by conference rules, Bama won the West, the tougher side this season (and historically since they went to 14 teams).

And Bama played their schedule tight and UGA blew everyone out outside of the weird Clemson game. 

If you think Bama was the better team that's fine. Arguing UGA shouldn't have been in the playoff is ridiculous. They kicked the absolute shit out of the B10 champ and then handled business against Bama when it mattered most. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

So the best game should be in the semis? Last night was much more competitive and entertaining than either semis game. I guess Michigan/Cincy could have been a good game but it would have likely made for a lackluster final.

And Bama played their schedule tight and UGA blew everyone out outside of the weird Clemson game. 

If you think Bama was the better team that's fine. Arguing UGA shouldn't have been in the playoff is ridiculous. They kicked the absolute shit out of the B10 champ and then handled business against Bama when it mattered most. 

Let me say it differently: fuck the SEC and all the rules contortions they receive. It’s terrible for college football. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Expand it to 12 and the same two teams play for the championship.  Those two are way better than anyone else so I’m not seeing where anything would change by giving out more participation trophies.  The rest of the teams just need to get better. 

I’ve been saying this for a while: establish a system where winning your conference actually means something. The current conferences should be realigned into 8 FBS conferences. The conference championship game should be made to be the first round of the playoff. Win, and you’re in. Lose, then better luck next time. Remaining eight play a real playoff. This would eliminate the need for a subjective ranking committee. Conference standings would be all you need. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Expand it to 12 and the same two teams play for the championship.  Those two are way better than anyone else so I’m not seeing where anything would change by giving out more participation trophies.  The rest of the teams just need to get better. 
Maybe not. If the dumb Auburn RB doesn't out of bounds, Bama may not have even made the playoffs.

The more games you play, the more chances you have to lose.

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

I’ve been saying this for a while: establish a system where winning your conference actually means something. The current conferences should be realigned into 8 FBS conferences. The conference championship game should be made to be the first round of the playoff. Win, and you’re in. Lose, then better luck next time. Remaining eight play a real playoff. This would eliminate the need for a subjective ranking committee. Conference standings would be all you need. 

Exactly

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

That’s fine. Expand it to 12. With four, two teams from the same conference should not be able to get to the final. 

12 hours ago, stork642 said:

Agree with your point, but having the championship be a four team invitational totally flips recruiting. Alabama was always going to be good under Saban, but them getting good exactly at the time that the four team format started gave them an even bigger recruiting advantage. Cincinnati's going to get a big recruiting bump from being in the playoffs. 

Expanding the playoffs won't result in the SEC falling off a cliff, or Bama suddenly becoming losers, but it will help level the recruiting field, and will make a difference over the long haul. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/12/2022 at 12:39 AM, dcar00 said:

or maybe expand it to 32 teams with 2 16 team leagues and 8 four team pods.  7 from each league make the playoffs with the winner of each league playing for the NCAA championship.

Let's expand to 32 so SEC teams can annihilate more non-SEC teams on the way to the final. Oh yeah, and Clempson. Though I think they are done. Dabo jumped the shark.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:17 PM, Homercles said:

I posted this in the Sugar thread back when this happened, but when I saw this live on tv I *almost* got in my car to drive to NO and offer to suit up…and I’m a class of ‘02 Poke who had no skin in the game.  What an awesome game that was, as I recall the Georgia trolls posting here ahead of time. 

They weren't UGA fans. We have rivals like tech, Aub and Fla that send guys like that out to ruin our rep and piss off opponents. But you are doing something when your rivals hate you that much and are that insecure.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, C-Man said:

That's what happens when you lose to A&M. 

At least UGA won its division and went 12-0 in the regular season. UAT has two natties won in season in which they didn't win their own division. 

That said, we definitely need an 8- or 12-team playoff. 

28 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Proud Of You Reaction GIFwell done

27 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Take it to West Midtown, Jackette. 

25 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Let's expand to 32 so SEC teams can annihilate more non-SEC teams on the way to the final. Oh yeah, and Clempson. Though I think they are done. Dabo jumped the shark.

15 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

They weren't UGA fans. We have rivals like tech, Aub and Fla that send guys like that out to ruin our rep and piss off opponents. But you are doing something when your rivals hate you that much and are that insecure.

10 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

At least UGA won its division and went 12-0 in the regular season. UAT has two natties won in season in which they didn't win their own division. 

2 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

They did extremely well this season after losing so many off last year's team. Many are saying this was Saban's best coaching job at UAT. 

That little + next to the quote button makes it easy to quote multiple posts in one response instead of posting 6 responses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, Ojo Rojo said:

I have to admit. I predicted, privately, that Bama was going to win. I didn't think Georgia's schedule this year really proved the hype that they were the best team in the country with an all-time defense.  I also didn't think Stetson Bennett could lead a team to a championship.  I thought Georgia was exposed for who they really were in the SEC championship game.  I still think, position-by-position, on paper, Bama is a better team than Georgia.  If they play at full strength, I think Bama wins the game 8/10 times.  Losing both of their top receivers really hurt them.  Young threw like 57 times; Bennett had 26 attempts, I think.  Tells you a lot about their respective game plans.  Bill O'Brien was a liability for Bama.

All in all, an entertaining season and an entertaining championship game.  I'm happy for Georgia.  Long time coming for them.  We know the feeling.

Thank you for the kind words. It has been an enjoyable week. 

A lot of guys have said similar things about our schedule and belonging in the playoff after the SECCG loss, but that is how the system works now. I will also say we played Clempson (#3), Ark (#8), Aub (#18), UK (#10), Mich (#2) and UAT (#1). Ark and Aub each played UAT extremely tough. It is however, our fault that each of the ranked teams we beat dropped after we beat them ...

As far as the playoff bid after losing the SECCG, the purpose of the formula is to find the four best teams. Period. This is how UAT keeps getting in without winning it's own division. UGA was unequivocally one of the four best. We knew that going into the SECCG, and the coaching staff planned ahead to the NCG knowing we'd wipe the floor with either Cincy or Mich. The rematch is the one that would count, so we used the first game to play vanilla and see how UAT attacked. 

You saw Monday we brought a lot more pressure on BY who, for the most part, couldn't handle it. 

As far as injures, we had several guys who started the season opener out of the game and guys like Pickens just coming back from off season ACL surgery. We were far from healthy. The fumble return for a TD and the fumble call on Bennett's incompletion is a 14-point swing. 

11 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

UGA was unequivocally one of the four best. We knew that going into the SECCG, and the coaching staff planned ahead to the NCG knowing we'd wipe the floor with either Cincy or Mich. The rematch is the one that would count, so we used the first game to play vanilla and see how UAT attacked. 

You saw Monday we brought a lot more pressure on BY who, for the most part, couldn't handle it. 

Wow, that’s really a brilliant job by Kirby and the coaching staff. Of course, maybe someone with a lick of sense should have told them to go ahead and beat Bama the first time and you wouldn’t have had to worry about them even being in the playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

Correct. And that was bullshit too FWIW.