Texas at Texas Tech Tuesday Feb 1st, 2022 ESPN2 8pm CT

LTtxfan

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Beard ditched UNLV after 19 days bc of one phone call from Tech. That’s the business, get off your high horse. 

Same exact situation.  but it wasn't.  As for any high horse...I've been about as even handed with Beard's situation as anyone.

But agreed, when a cheater cheats on you, with regard to infidelity; don't be surprised.  Doesn't mean you have to like it though either.  That dynamic is about as old as life itself.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yep. You can do almost any deceitful, underhanded unethical thing in the world so long as you blame it on the cost of doing business. There are few dirtier businesses anywhere outside of college sports.

Hollywood. Politics. Apparently blood testing. Evangelism. Stock brokerage. Any brokerage, really. Real estate. Cryotocurrency. Oil. Frankly any resource extraction. Chemical manufacturers. Arms dealers. Pharamaceuticals. Black markets of any type. Sex industry. Waste management. Construction. 

There’s a lot of industries dirtier than college sports. There’s a lot more than I listed, of course. 

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Beard ditched UNLV after 19 days bc of one phone call from Tech. That’s the business, get off your high horse. 

And its that history that means he could ditch Texas one day. I can promise you'll see a level of butthurt from our fansbase if that happens that will surpass Tech's fans. For all his positives as a coach, I suspect he may be one of those guys that will always have a wandering eye. Consider his quote after ditching UNLV

At his introductory news conference in Lubbock three years ago, Beard called leaving UNLV a “difficult situation” but something he felt he had to do.

"It's like when Bear Bryant left Texas A&M for Alabama," Beard said. "He said, 'When momma calls, you've gotta go home.' Texas Tech is my momma and I'm home. I'm so glad to be here."

We're his home for now, but who knows if some other shiny job wont catch his eye in 5 years. Yeah yeah, he's at his true alma mater. Its not clear to me that means that much to Beard. The Texas Job was a better job than the Tech, so he made his decision. His history shows he's intent on climbing the ladder and Texas aint the top rung.  Its not about being in a position to win a National Championship, he proved that was possible at Tech up 68-65 with 20 seconds to go against UVA.

But thats the nature of hiring these kinds of guys. Hopefully we get the same reward that Tech got so close to. We can certainly match any money, but prestige is a different matter. Lot of winning that needs to happen between now and then for that to be a concern. 

33 minutes ago, slorch said:

Fine.  It doesn't mean that dynamic is reasonable or classy, given the investment and, at least publicly, the great relationship shared between Beard and Tech.

Ghosting is shitty character, and that's the root of the animosity towards Beard.  He doesn't just get a free pass.

“Ghosting” lol. He just did what every other coach who leaves for another job does. 

23 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I’m glad this has worked out for both sides

This is where I'm at.

A few things Beard did on the way out felt less than savory at the time, but really it's just part of the business. I was initially angry about him gaslighting and pressuring Adams the way he did, but I also quickly came to realize the reason he did it was because he very much wanted Adams with him in Austin. Can't really blame the guy for that, they were a great duo.

Tubby Smith picked up the pieces of a broken program, but Beard came in and took it to the next level, making us nationally relevant along the way. Then, he left to coach his alma mater. That's fine, and I'm always going to be grateful for what he did for us. We're legitimately the best we've been on the court since we were the national runners up and I'm grateful that we ended up with half of the Beard/Adams duo that built that culture.

The aftermath of Beard's departure was hard, but it could hardly have worked out better for us. The season's not over, but there was a lot riding on how this season went, if nothing else to maintain continuity in the culture they built here. Adams has so far shown his coaching chops were up to the task and we hit home runs on basically all of our transfers (excluding Sardaar Calhoun). The brand new basketball center built on campus that Beard pushed hard for and had a hand in designing certainly helps with that.

The bottom line is, Beard spent a lot of time in Lubbock and we're better off for it, and I wish him the best.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And its that history that means he could ditch Texas one day. I can promise you'll see a level of butthurt from our fansbase if that happens that will surpass Tech's fans. For all his positives as a coach, I suspect he may be one of those guys that will always have a wandering eye. Consider his quote after ditching UNLV

We're his home for now, but who knows if some other shiny job wont catch his eye in 5 years. Yeah yeah, he's at his true alma mater. Its not clear to me that means that much to Beard. The Texas Job was a better job than the Tech, so he made his decision. His history shows he's intent on climbing the ladder and Texas aint the top rung.  Its not about being in a position to win a National Championship, he proved that was possible at Tech up 68-65 with 20 seconds to go against UVA.

But thats the nature of hiring these kinds of guys. Hopefully we get the same reward that Tech got so close to. We can certainly match any money, but prestige is a different matter. Lot of winning that needs to happen between now and then for that to be a concern. 

My guess would be that he would gun for an NBA job if he ends up killing it at Texas. I've heard for years that he has hinted at/told people behind the scenes that is his ultimate goal. If that ends up being the case, though, that would mean that the program probably soared under him.

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

My guess would be that he would gun for an NBA job if he ends up killing it at Texas. I've heard for years that he has hinted at/told people behind the scenes that is his ultimate goal. If that ends up being the case, though, that would mean that the program probably soared under him.

Yup I easily see him going to the NBA. Which certainly wouldn’t upset me, bc it means he crushed it and that’s a huge promotion. 

4 minutes ago, Blotto said:

It would need to be the NBA, and I don’t think he’s a good fit at all, there. The blue bloods in basketball are UCLA, KU, UK, Duke, UNC, and Indiana. The only one of those that might hire him away is Kentucky. The Louisville job is now open. It’s a top ten job in the country. Are they a legitimate threat? Because I don’t see it. Is he going to Syracuse when Boheim retires? Seriously doubt it. There just aren’t any good options, frankly. 

So basically Kentucky. 

I do find it somewhat amusing that Texas fans love to tell other fans about how to deal with the loss of their coach we hired away. Like Texas fans ever have to deal with that. Let Tech fans get butt hurt. Remember Tuberville leaving during the recruiting banquet? I have this image of him slinking out the window of the bathroom in the restaurant they were in. Even if that’s not the case, I like to think it. Oh, and that’s SENATOR Tuberville, now. 

Anyway, I do agree with the concept. He’s never put down roots before. He’s full of shit in many ways (not actually a criticism - I don’t mind it the way I did with Mack Brown). He loves taking on new challenges. If there were more legitimate options for him to go to I’d agree wholeheartedly. 

If we're being honest, it's way more likely that he gets run out of town in a few years rather than he quits to go to Kentucky or the NBA.  History is history.  Like most successful coaches, he's egotistical to a level most of us could never understand.  That might cause him to leave of his own volition to a program with better fan support, but if he's winning he'll be money whipped into staying. If he's not winning he'll be shown the door.  It's definitely got to chap his ass that he can go out to eat in this town and not a single person will have clue who he is, though.  Not what he's been used to.

Beard burned bridges with napalm in West Texas on his way out the door, including with big donors, and actively worked to undermine Tech's program after he left.  Tech fans are right to be pissed at him.  If he had left graciously there would still be some anger, but nothing like we're seeing.  His latest media massaging with Rick Barnes' return to Austin has been comical, but it seems to be working with the idiots in the press.  Barnes was run out of town, just like Shaka, and probably like Beard will be in a few years.  Texas fans have zero reason for ill will towards Barnes, and a lot of time has passed.  Trying to equate his return to what's happening tomorrow is ridiculous on its face.  Beard will get booed and he will deserve it.  That's likely all that will happen.  His leaving was not a typical "just doing business" move.  He made the right call in leaving, of course, but he didn't handle it well at all. The team he had in Lubbock were all about to bail if he stayed and his star was fading with the fans there with each passing year after that NC final run.  This season would have been disastrous for him had he stayed.  HIs leash would have been longer in Lubbock than the one he has now, however.

That Lubbock arena is a tough place to play no matter who walks in.  It was loud as fuck on Saturday night for Miss. State.  It might be louder tomorrow, but not by much.  Tech has their program rolling.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

If we're being honest, it's way more likely that he gets run out of town in a few years rather than he quits to go to Kentucky or the NBA. 

This is true. Maybe after longer than a few years. There aren’t many Eddie Reese’s that get to pick their exit date without external pressure, even after a lot of career success. Even Darrell Royal was feeling it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And its that history that means he could ditch Texas one day.

Of course Beard will leave Texas, you can bank on it. We all should (or better). And when that time comes we will be bitching and moaning and throwing shit and beating house cats and all else but, you know what, it's likely that we will have plenty of reason to thank him for the years (hopefully) that he brought to the school.  

Tech? Beard fucking took them to within a cunt's hair of winning the entire thing in 2019.  Everything. The NCAA title. Sans Deandre Hunter's coconut-sized testicles, Buddy Holly's statue would be sit alone in a shadow of the one they'd have put up for Beard.  That close to winning it all -  something that no Tech fan could ever begin to have a wet dream about, or dry one, or whatever the case in Lubbock.

Beard will have layers of security tomorrow night and probably should have a hazmat suit on. TBD on what he chooses. But those fuckers in the stands should do nothing but applaud and mouth "Thank You, Coach".  That's not going to happen but it's on their dumbfuck selves for not being pragmatic and being thankful for someone who gave them a shitload to be cheer about.  Should have stopped at "pragmatic".

Oh well, watch yourself Chris. If you're concerned, put Gia on your shoulder - she's been laying low and would probably welcome some action. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't see Beard leaving for another college program unless he gets fired or wins a title. I suppose he could go to the NBA. He doesn't strike me as an NBA type HC and it's extremely rare if not virtually unprecedented in the post-merger NBA for coaches to have success that have zero experience in the league at any level. Off the top of my head I can't think of any HC that went to the NBA and did really well at their first stop without any experience in the league. Billy Donovan comes to mind but he was handed a ready made contender in OKC and he actually did play in the NBA for a season. 

I guess Brad Stevens was pretty good. Like I said - extremely rare. And he was an absolute prodigy at Butler in a way that Beard really isn't. 

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i sincerly doubt the nba is tripping over itself to hire a guy who loves to play games in the 50's or low 60's offensively.

If he did really well at Texas for 5-6 years and expressed interest some bottom dweller would take a flyer. 

I mean... dudes with less qualifications than Beard get hired all the time. Fuck me if I know who coaches the Magic and Pistons and Kings right now. (Oh right - Casey's been in Detroit for a few years)

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

#classy

An occasional extension of a mid finger and some horns down there. That's a pretty disappointing display.  Hell, there were random Niners fans doing the horns down yesterday in SoFi and they had no idea why there were doing so.  Pretty common thing now. 

Tech fans need to up their game tomorrow evening. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Hollywood. Politics. Apparently blood testing. Evangelism. Stock brokerage. Any brokerage, really. Real estate. Cryotocurrency. Oil. Frankly any resource extraction. Chemical manufacturers. Arms dealers. Pharamaceuticals. Black markets of any type. Sex industry. Waste management. Construction. 

There’s a lot of industries dirtier than college sports. There’s a lot more than I listed, of course. 

Don’t be fooled. Politics and big time college sports are the same dirty. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That aligns with kenpom. I bet it comes down a point or so though. 

Yeah, maybe so. Weirdly reminds me of Texas / Nebraska in '10. Lincoln. Pelini had aligned the entire state against Texas after the Big 12 championship game the previous year. There wasn't any fucking vitriol to be purchased because it had been sold out months in advance. NU got caught up in it all and went down. 

Maybe Tech plays / reacts differently tomorrow. Will be good theatre, regardless.

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, maybe so. Weirdly reminds me of Texas / Nebraska in '10. Lincoln. Pelini had aligned the entire state against Texas after the Big 12 championship game the previous year. There wasn't any fucking vitriol to be purchased because it had been sold out months in advance. NU got caught up in it all and went down. 

Maybe Tech plays / reacts differently tomorrow. Will be good theatre, regardless.

Yup, though of that game too 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

He didn’t give Tech a chance to counter because he had no interest in staying. 

I’m glad this has worked out for both sides. I would guess Texas will drop the game tomorrow night and that Tech fans will show their typical class. I hope it’s not all that bad, Tech is doing great in basketball so that should be celebrated.

If something bad happens, I can see Texas ending this relationship for good once the SEC move happens. That would be a shame.

My guess is he took the job knowing full well Texas was heading to the Sec. When he leaves, it will be because of the Larry Brown in him.

Tech fans are making jackasses out of themselves at this point....I mean more than they normally do.  

Also it won't equate to a win on Tuesday but the history of the WAY OVERHYPED fanbase looking to stick it to Texas (even more than they normally do) for some perceived wrong/history/whatever isn't good for the opponent.  

In a decade+ of football shit one of the shittiest of the shitty Texas teams went to Lincoln in 2010 and stuck it to a fanbase who would have given their left nut and their first born daughter's virginity for a win.

aggy 2011....lolz, suck cock aggy

All that hate gonna burn you up kid.  

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s time to embrace being the bad guy I think.  From last week to this week now nationally for games the chant will be fuck UT instead of just horns down, especially once we join the sec and those trash fans.  I just hope we are better at football and basketball then. 

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s time to embrace being the bad guy I think.  From last week to this week now nationally for games the chant will be fuck UT instead of just horns down, especially once we join the sec and those trash fans.  I just hope we are better at football and basketball then. 

It’s time? Where the fuck have you been? I mean, sure, it’s more pervasive now because of television and social media, but we’ve always been hated. 

Frankly, we’re better in basketball right now compared to the past 6 years. It’s just that the casual fan won’t have a metric to go by until the tournament. Football I got nothin’. Hopefully the next staff is better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It remind me when I became leader and took everybody farm land. People line street for miles to yell at me, waving, yelling duck dewey.  I tell my wife I don't understand duck, but all these people come to see me, they must love me. 

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It’s time? Where the fuck have you been? I mean, sure, it’s more pervasive now because of television and social media, but we’ve always been hated. 

Frankly, we’re better in basketball right now compared to the past 6 years. It’s just that the casual fan won’t have a metric to go by until the tournament. Football I got nothin’. Hopefully the next staff is better. 

I hear you, but the horns down trend didn’t go all across the country until recently.  It’s a much more vocal and random hate than before now.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1