2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, pacman said:

Kind of explains how she can land a quad salchow in competition and other women can't or don't even attempt.  "but it's ok since she's only 15 and doesn't know better..."

7 hours ago, Victorious1 said:

Kind of explains how she can land a quad salchow in competition and other women can't or don't even attempt.  "but it's ok since she's only 15 and doesn't know better..."

I'm not sure how at 15 she could have consented to taking these drugs.  It's just sad. The adults in her life are horrible. She could be doing permanent damage to her body, and could have been the goat, but now at 15 will forever be looked on as a cheater.  Because her team were greedy assholes.

26 minutes ago, pops said:

Apparently I couldn't judge skiing. Gu had at best the 4th place run. But whatever. 

You're not judging in a dictatorship with 1.4+ billion people and having to endure what would come your way if you don't fluff their chosen one.

I'm not watching, but I'm thinking that if Gu is even close to doing very well, she's winning the gold without question... and I think that all of the competitors know that too.

EDIT: Just saw that she got silver in something. (Slopestyle?) I guess that the winner was far and away the best in that event. Kind of like beating the Lakers in LA in the playoffs with the refs being directed to give the home team absolutely every benefit of the doubt. (Or Kansas hoops at home or...)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Not great by Mikaela again. 

She's an odd bird. 

For as long as she's been on the circuit and a top skier, the interviews that I've seen her give on the mountain this year sound like the reporter is interviewing a 15 year-old kid who has just entered her first local race. I don't follow skiing, so I don't know whether this is the way she talks/thinks, or if she's really not well.

Of course I'm pulling for her, and not just because she's pretty hot. As long as a person is a pretty good person, you've got to pull for them... even if you don't follow them. The pressure that she's putting on herself must just be immense.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

She's an odd bird. 

the interviews that I've seen her give on the mountain this year sound like the reporter is interviewing a 15 year-old kid who has just entered her first local race.

They are giving her the kid gloves treatment because its the first Olympics she's been to since her dad died from a fall about 2 years ago.   Her dad (as all dad's are) was her biggest fan... fill in the standard appropriate human interest story blanks.

plus, yeah, she, like Simone Biles, was the female face of the USOC this Olympics, so the pressure on her was huge.

she's one of the best skiers in history. she is having an off olympics. i guess in golf terms, she's got the shanks. it happens. this olympics doesn't define her. she was ready to quit skiing after her dad died. i wouldn't blame her if she decided to quit after this. she's got nothing left to prove.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

she's one of the best skiers in history. she is having an off olympics. i guess in golf terms, she's got the shanks. it happens. this olympics doesn't define her. she was ready to quit skiing after her dad died. i wouldn't blame her if she decided to quit after this. she's got nothing left to prove.

All of this. I was cringing when people were trying to compare her to Dan Jansen after her GS and slalom runs. She's already won 2 golds and 1 silver in the olympics. 

She's the defending world champion in the Combined so if she can have a strong downhill run in that she could get on the podium.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2022 at 10:30 AM, tokamak said:

They're really going to drop the hammer on Russia after this. Next Olympics all their athletes are going to have to compete under the flag of Definitely Not Russia Wink Wink.

they should go full on NCAA and just tell Slovenia they will be barred from the next Olympics to show their real power.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Russians with the awesome "dog ate my homework" excuse for positive skater drug test.

I was ALWAYS accidentally taking my grandfather’s medication when I was almost 15 and my grandfather moved into our house until he passed away when I was 17. I can’t even remember how often that happened. 

🙄

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

She's an insanely talented skier. Probably the best American skier ever and in the pantheon (Mt Rushmore) of the sport. Whether she medals this Olympics or not, she has a hall of fame resume and will be a personality in coverage of the sport for as long as she wants to.

That said, she is really strange and my perception that she is not fully developed (or possibly even capable of full development) socially/emotionally was bolstered by this article I read about her last night. It's from early December of 2021 and it was written for a Vail publication. You can tell by what the writer chose to include that they wanted to drive home that Mikaela is an extremely unstable person who needs her cocoon in place in order to function... and this isn't something that just started after her father passed away.

I'll include snippets and then the link to the entire article. She seems like she's on the spectrum, but can be highly functioning.

Mikaela Shiffrin Faces the Competition with Mom by Her Side

The two-time Olympic champion and her mother, Eileen, press on toward Beijing 2022 despite the untimely death of Eileen’s husband and Mikaela’s dad, Jeff. 

By Devon O’Neil Photography by Brent Bingham December 3, 2021 Published in the Winter/Spring 2022 issue of Vail-Beaver Creek Magazine

Job_1834_ornglr.jpg

[skipped down to middle of the article]

“Mikaela needs Mom more than anyone,” adds Taylor, 29, who lives in Denver and works as a data scientist and entrepreneur. “Why that is the case, Dad and I had a lot of theories. We never talked a ton about it, we just knew: of course Mom has to be there.”

Despite Team Shiffrin’s success, Eileen always yearned to return to nursing. So in 2015, soon after Mikaela turned 20, they decided to try a new system. Mikaela would “spread her wings and take off,” as Eileen puts it, while Eileen would retire from coaching and resume her chosen profession. An early December race in Åre, Sweden, was to be the first in Mikaela’s World Cup career where neither of her parents would be present. Eileen settled in to watch from her mother’s house in Massachusetts at 4 a.m., when the text barrage began. Mikaela, her eyes watering and blurry from an allergic reaction to cheap makeup, had crashed while warming up in windblown snow, tearing her MCL. “I almost threw up when I found out,” Eileen says, recoiling at the memory. Mikaela missed much of the season. She still believes she wouldn’t have crashed if her mother had been there to remind her to be careful on the uneven surface.

Eileen rejoined her daughter on tour once Mikaela returned to competition, and they decided to scrap the retirement plan. The system produced prolific results for the next four years, including a breakthrough 2017 season when Mikaela clinched her first overall title at World Cup Finals in Aspen. Then, in October 2019, Eileen’s mom—Mikaela’s “Nana” and biggest fan—died. Eileen and Jeff decided maybe it was time to try retirement again. Eileen leaned on Jeff as she grieved her loss at home. Across the Atlantic, Mikaela’s skiing deteriorated. She finished 17th in a race in Courchevel, France, that December, an alarming result for the three-time defending overall World Cup champion. Eileen returned to Europe once more, and Mikaela podiumed at seven of the next 10 races, winning four. 

[snip]

“The last couple years have solidified even more that I can’t imagine finishing my career without my mom being there,” Mikaela says. “I have physios, I have coaches, plenty of people who literally bend over backward to help, but they cannot fill the shoes of what she’s doing when she’s there. It’s impossible to describe everything she does.”

Eileen, sitting a foot away, interjects: “Let’s just say, theoretically—I’m not pushing toward this at all—but let’s say in a couple years, my eyesight gets worse, and my memory gets worse, and my joints get worse, but you’re still kicking butt. You could talk to the other girls about stuff.”

“I know,” Mikaela says. “There’s a way that it could work, but I don’t see any reason for us to explore that. Because what’s the point? We know what does work, and there’s no reason not to keep going.”

[end]

https://www.vailmag.com/news-and-profiles/2021/12/mikaela-eileen-shiffrin-beijing-winter-olympics

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

So assuming she has the highest score (and that’s not a stretch) what sucks is the ladies that win silver and bronze are denied their moment on the platform bc the results would be pending. This whole thing sucks. I loved Johnny Weir yesterday before and after her performance. before her program he said she should not be competing. And afterwards he basically said, “all I feel comfortable saying is that Kamila Valieva just completed her short program.”  no comments on the jumps or anything she did in her short program. Boom. That was awesome. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So assuming she has the highest score (and that’s not a stretch) what sucks is the ladies that win silver and bronze are denied their moment on the platform bc the results would be pending. This whole thing sucks. I loved Johnny Weir yesterday before and after her performance. before her program he said she should not be competing. And afterwards he basically said, “all I feel comfortable saying is that Kamila Valieva just completed her short program.”  no comments on the jumps or anything she did in her short program. Boom. That was awesome. 

Agree, it punishes the skaters that would also finish on the podium.  Just complete horseshit.

Someone above in the thread suggested that all the other women skaters should have simply not taken the ice.  That would have been a statement.  But I suppose that kinda stuff really only happens in the movies.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/beijing-winter-olympics-02-16-22-spt/h_d65d9e45e8171fb272b3c7d39b7d73b8

"The picture it paints is, you've got a 15-year-old. Does she have the wherewithal and the knowledge and the financial resources to find two drugs ... to use to increase endurance reduce fatigue? It's clear there was an effort to use substances and drugs to increase performance," Tygart added. 
"I don't think for a second this young athlete had the financial resources or knowledge to take these three substances to increase performance, or where to even get these three substances."  

That's an insult to 15 year olds everywhere.  A short (not really) while back, when I was that age, 15 year olds seeking a various assortment of performance enhancing drugs (mostly booze and sometimes pot) had absolutely no problem procuring said items.  They had the knowledge and the financial resources.

The attorney who said that shit above is a moron.  A simple google search yields the following:

• Hypoxen - 30 ct: $34.15 (coincidence or irony that the box has russian labeling?) https://pillbuys.com/shop/hypoxen
  • L-carnitine - same site ~$30 for 10 pack
  • trimetazidine - again, same site as above: 60 ct. for $22

Perhaps the entire "pillbuys" site was set up as a joke.  OR - the shit is easy to find if you want it.

Perhaps Valieva really is the victim here.  Or, perhaps she started taking these drugs and her performance skyrocketed and she said, "sign me up."  15 year olds find booze fascinating and say, "sign me up!"

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Agree, it punishes the skaters that would also finish on the podium.  Just complete horseshit.

Someone above in the thread suggested that all the other women skaters should have simply not taken the ice.  That would have been a statement.  But I suppose that kinda stuff really only happens in the movies.

why not just give the medals to the other 2 on the podium and play some song they agree to?  stick it to the rooskie.  here's your medal now F off.

17 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Total fucking bullshit that they're letting the Russian doper skate.  Completely unfair to the rest of the skaters.  

And then her teammate falls on her ass and still gets awarded second place (for now).  

Done watching this corrupt bullshit.

ha. so obvious that they are setting up for the other rooskie to win so the anthem can be played. this is why figure skating is so stupid. I wouldn't at all be shocked if the 2nd place rooskie does well enough to take first after the long program that the cheater is ordered to take a fall.

to be honest they should have kept the "figures" portion, a bunch of skaters who can jump(with or without PED's)wouldn't even make the podium because they couldn't do the figures.