superbowl pregame

Hagbard Celine

I don’t know how much I buy a full blown ref conspiracy, but after the Bucs and the Cowboys lost, it was pretty obvious the league would prefer a “LA wins in LA” narrative.  

As to the Rams long term future, there’s a reason football teams keep leaving Southern California:  those stadiums go half empty during the regular season because the fans are fickle and the traffic is terrible. Why sit on the 110 for hours when you can go to the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer.  

The NFL is in denial about its fan problem:  it needs to be right sizing it’s stadiums for a premium fan experience instead of building these giant space ships that go half empty every other week. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

No, it doesn’t. Only reason Bengals were in the game is because of a horseshit no call on Tee Higgins that gave them 7 points. I can’t believe y’all are bitching about penalties. 

Higgins should have had a TD in the first quarter, but was held in the endzone by Ramsey. I thought the refs did alright. Let them mostly play, both teams benefitted at times, and they tightened it up late. It is what it is, but neither team was glaringly favored. 

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

You should check your history. St Louis is a shithole that was able to entice the then owner of the Rams out of Anaheim. They needed to go back when STL couldn’t help with a new stadium. They belong in LA. The Raiduhs should be sharing that stadium and the league should have stripped the Spanos family of the Chargers and kept them in San Diego. The league wanted the Rams back in LA and facilitated it.

As for your opinions regarding Stafford’s wife and kids, you’re a bit in the weeds.

Absolutely on the Chargers and the Spanos family. Compared to other major US cities, San Diego is a weenie city full of transplants, but there was a lot of love and support for the Bolts. Never going to have a dominating home field advantage with all the transplants, but the Bolts belong in San Diego. 

This also cracks me up

LA: we don't really need an NFL franchise, but if we get one, we want our Raiders back. 

NFL: you'll get the Rams and the Chargers and you'll like it! 

I'd like to see the numbers on Raiders' support from Southern California. How many season ticket holders are from Socal and how many butts in seats each game made the trip from Socal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Higgins should have had a TD in the first quarter, but was held in the endzone by Ramsey. I thought the refs did alright. Let them mostly play, both teams benefitted at times, and they tightened it up late. It is what it is, but neither team was glaringly favored. 

Absolutely on the Chargers and the Spanos family. Compared to other major US cities, San Diego is a weenie city full of transplants, but there was a lot of love and support for the Bolts. Never going to have a dominating home field advantage with all the transplants, but the Bolts belong in San Diego. 

This also cracks me up

LA: we don't really need an NFL franchise, but if we get one, we want our Raiders back. 

NFL: you'll get the Rams and the Chargers and you'll like it! 

I'd like to see the numbers on Raiders' support from Southern California. How many season ticket holders are from Socal and how many butts in seats each game made the trip from Socal. 

This is spot on.  Nobody in LA really wanted the Rams back.  

The level of disrespect the leading owners treat the Spanos family is both hilarious and pathetic.  If they had stood up for themselves and been willing to work a little harder (and spend some of their own money) with the San Diego authorities, they could have continued to have a cherry small franchise experience.  

Instead they are now the jets to the Rams Giants, but minus the devoted fan base. 

The level of disrespect the leading owners treat the Spanos family is both hilarious and pathetic.  If they had stood up for themselves and been willing to work a little harder (and spend some of their own money) with the San Diego authorities, they could have continued to have a cherry small franchise experience.  

Instead they are now the jets to the Rams Giants, but minus the devoted fan base. 

Ive always liked the Chargers as a kid because of Lance Alworth. My company is based in San Diego. It’s a great city, and my colleagues were huge Chargers fans. They despise the Spanos family.

The Spanos family has never done a fucking thing for San Diego, and expected the city taxpayers to 100% fund them a new stadium. The league should have taken the team and found an owner who would have built a new stadium on their own.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Ive always liked the Chargers as a kid because of Lance Alworth. My company is based in San Diego. It’s a great city, and my colleagues were huge Chargers fans. They despise the Spanos family.

The Spanos family has never done a fucking thing for San Diego, and expected the city taxpayers to 100% fund them a new stadium. The league should have taken the team and found an owner who would have built a new stadium on their own.

100% agree.  And the sad thing is the Chargers are basically paying Kroenke’s finance cost on SoFi as tenets.  They lost their loyal fan base and the other owners made them a bitch. 

Edited by Bateshorn

38 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

100% agree.  And the sad thing is the Chargers are basically paying Kroenke’s finance cost on SoFi as tenets.  They lost their loyal fan base and the other owners made them a bitch. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/18/chargers-wont-be-leaving-l-a-for-at-least-two-decades/

TL,DR: the Chargers couldn't leave Inglewood even if they felt so inclined (or got a better offer elsewhere) until 2039 at the earliest. 

2 hours ago, WBT said:

I agree that all his sports promotions are great marketing and he gets publicity from the offers and then gets publicity from making these giant bets.  The only thing I've wondered is when some politician is going to try to score points by coming down on him for running an illegal sports book.

If somebody fucked with mattress Mack, they would be incurring the wrath of the people who like him.  The semantics of his methods could be debated for sure, but dude does a shit ton for the city of Houston and the metro in general.  He is a good dude… which means somebody probably will pick a fight with him, because politicians in general suck as human beings, or they would’ve pursued more noble endeavors in life.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

This is ridiculously false.  Everyone wanted the Rams back.  They just didn’t want to fund a stadium for billionaires.  And every team that flirted with LA wanted the city to pay or participate at a significant level in the stadium costs.  We are already taxed to the gills here, and weren’t going to get saddled with that shit too when owners should be falling over themselves to get into a 14 mil metro market.  Kroenke got it, and it was done.  To suggest the city didn’t want the Rams back is comical. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This is ridiculously false.  Everyone wanted the Rams back.  They just didn’t want to fund a stadium for billionaires.  And every team that flirted with LA wanted the city to pay or participate at a significant level in the stadium costs.  We are already taxed to the gills here, and weren’t going to get saddled with that shit too when owners should be falling over themselves to get into a 14 mil metro market.  Kroenke got it, and it was done.  To suggest the city didn’t want the Rams back is comical. 

While there was still a sizable Raider fan base there, this is largely correct.  Rams still had a fan base from back in the day.

Either way, the Rams were the team they were going to get for the reasons you mentioned.  Neither the state or the cities were paying for a stadium and Kroenke was the only owner that had the money to build the entire thing himself.  He's richer than all other owners and 10x to 20x richer than some of them.  That stadium costs more than some entire teams.

There are a lot of great QBs who threw a lot of interceptions. Tom Brady has thrown over 200. Brett Favre threw 336. Johnny Unitas threw 253, Marino 252. Peyton Manning 251, Brees 243, Fouts 242.

It happens. The great QBs take chances, and the older QBs I think took even more than today. 

I don't think Matt Stafford will be listed among many people's all-time top-10 list but, he has had a really nice career, stuck in Detroit for 12 seasons, and is only 33-years old.

Stafford has thrown 161 INTs in his 13-year career.

39 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I stand corrected.  I didn’t think there was that much passion for the Rams, but the stadium thing makes sense. 

53 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Brady went to Serra in San Mateo in NorCal.

Believe Taco was just identifying the gaps in those years that Texas HS QBs won the SB by listing the years Brady won.  

SoFi is probably the first fan friendly stadium the Rams have played in, so it should help with any attendance doldrums they may have had in the past. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

While there was still a sizable Raider fan base there, this is largely correct.  Rams still had a fan base from back in the day.

Either way, the Rams were the team they were going to get for the reasons you mentioned.  Neither the state or the cities were paying for a stadium and Kroenke was the only owner that had the money to build the entire thing himself.  He's richer than all other owners and 10x to 20x richer than some of them.  That stadium costs more than some entire teams.

Arsenal fans:

lonely arrested development GIF

54 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I stand corrected.  I didn’t think there was that much passion for the Rams, but the stadium thing makes sense. 

Almost all of the legacy NFL owners are poor in comparison to the others.  Their father/grandfather bought or founded the team way back when and the current team is their only real asset.  The Rams move to LA was a big dick swinging contest between the new owners (Jerry, Kroenke, etc.) and the old guard who viewed it as some sort of club.  Stan Kroenke can buy and sell the Brown family, the Spanos family, and that idiot Mark Davis combined.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Believe Taco was just identifying the gaps in those years that Texas HS QBs won the SB by listing the years Brady won.  

SoFi is probably the first fan friendly stadium the Rams have played in, so it should help with any attendance doldrums they may have had in the past. 

It also only seats like 68-70K, unlike the Coliseum, which when they played there seated like 100K and there were seats a mile away.  I haven't been to a Rams game there, but went to the LA Bowl in our company's luxury suite and it was unreal.

But I will say adding the Chargers to the market was regarded on every level.  There will never be major buy-in from the fans on the Chargers.  They will have a following, just from people looking for a cheaper alternative to be contrarian.  But they never, ever, should have left SD.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It also only seats like 68-70K, unlike the Coliseum, which when they played there seated like 100K and there were seats a mile away.  I haven't been to a Rams game there, but went to the LA Bowl in our company's luxury suite and it was unreal.

But I will say adding the Chargers to the market was regarded on every level.  There will never be major buy-in from the fans on the Chargers.  They will have a following, just from people looking for a cheaper alternative to be contrarian.  But they never, ever, should have left SD.

Everyone on the planet agrees with that chargers take outside of city of san Diego and Spanos

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Everyone on the planet agrees with that chargers take outside of city of san Diego and Spanos

Well, my understanding was a the City of San Diego was willing to work with the Spanos family to keep the Chargers, but the Spanos were totally unreasonable. Like they wanted a park down town next/near Petco, fully paid for, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

I don't think there was any conspiracy, but that defensive hold wouldn't have even happened if the refs called the blatant false start before it:

FLiDwvfXIAAufNz?format=jpg&name=medium

Something I noticed watching college/pro football in recent years. Refs rarely call tackles for this if it’s a split second thing. It has to be egregious. 

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, my understanding was a the City of San Diego was willing to work with the Spanos family to keep the Chargers, but the Spanos were totally unreasonable. Like they wanted a park down town next/near Petco, fully paid for, etc. 

That's accurate.  He also had no money because he's an NFL poor.

Here's what I don't understand about these legacy owners.  By a gift of the birth lottery, they own an NFL team.  Why hold on to it at this point?  Yeah, I know there's some civic pride and it's a trophy but you could get $2B-$4B for a garden variety NFL team at this point.  Take the money like the Broncos ownership is doing.  

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's accurate.  He also had no money because he's an NFL poor.

Here's what I don't understand about these legacy owners.  By a gift of the birth lottery, they own an NFL team.  Why hold on to it at this point?  Yeah, I know there's some civic pride and it's a trophy but you could get $2B-$4B for a garden variety NFL team at this point.  Take the money like the Broncos ownership is doing.  

Wonder if there's a correlation between legacy owners and lack of success.  Know the McCaskeys have been a pox on the city of Chicago for decades.  That '85 team partially covered up their five decade long ineptitude.  Now, there threatening to move to suburbs.

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Wonder if there's a correlation between legacy owners and lack of success.  Know the McCaskeys have been a pox on the city of Chicago for decades.  That '85 team partially covered up their five decade long ineptitude.  Now, there threatening to move to suburbs.

Are. Are moving to the suburbs.  I think it’s a done deal. Didn’t one of the McCaskey’s take away the team from another McCaskey?

Fuck it, I’m starting a Non Cowboys/Texans ownership thread. I love talking this shit. 

17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Aaron Donald is the baddest man in football and it’s not even close.

If Quinton Spain wasn't complete and total dog shit and had held up 1 second longer Burrow would've hit a wide open Chase for a walk in TD. What did Spain do in the immediate aftermath of the Super Bowl? Hop onto twitter and start shit talking Jeff Simmons once again.

42 minutes ago, Chad said:

If Quinton Spain wasn't complete and total dog shit and had held up 1 second longer Burrow would've hit a wide open Chase for a walk in TD. What did Spain do in the immediate aftermath of the Super Bowl? Hop onto twitter and start shit talking Jeff Simmons once again.

That's a pretty big leap where one second is the difference between a sack and a walk in TD.  

41 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That's a pretty big leap where one second is the difference between a sack and a walk in TD.  

Not sure if you've seen it but there is a pic out there of Ramsey on the ground again, and the WR free as a bird, just as Barrow was desperately dumping the ball.

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No, I hadn't.  Good thing AD bulled Spain then,

spacer.png

Nice find.  What makes that extra painful for Bengals fans is Burrow didn't even need to fire an accurate pass.  There is no one within twenty yards of this dude.  A duck would have done the trick.