superbowl pregame

Hagbard Celine

watching the afc replay on nflnet

chefs really fuckked up end of the 1st half

easy chip shot, 24-10, all the mo....  noop

i'm trying to think of QBs that won their won their first superbowl having never lost in the playoffs which today means winning 3 or 4 games in a row, and in 1965 meant winning 2 games in a row, the nfl or afl title game then the superbowl.

for certainty, bart starr lost his first playoff game, the 1960 nfl title game (last iggle title before their win 3 years ago), and then started looking at subsequent nfl title games

billy wade played 3 snaps in the 1955 nfl final (browns 38 - 14 rams) but pro-football-reference gives him a "no decision" 0-0 w-l for this game as norm van brocklin was obviously the starter going 11-25-166 for 1 TD and SIX (6) picks...  wade went on to win his only other playoff game, the 1963 title with the bears 14 - 10 ginas; but a 1.000 playoff record doesn't register given the whole story

i found the first example of what burrow is trying to do.... joe namath won his firt 2 playoff starts, the 2nd being superbowl III

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That evidence says the opposite of what he's thinking. Only half of the super bowl starters were 4+ stars? It's a small sample size but if you extrapolate that data out it says they're missing on about 50 percent of their evaluations. No better than coin flipping

3 hours ago, Hammerin Hank said:

So about half were 3 star or lower? I’m not sure if the evidence backs up the assertion in the tweet 

Seriously. There are about 700 starters across every team on O and D. I'm guessing the average starter has like 8ish years experience? So every year you'd expect like 100 guys to come out of college that will wind up starting. Make it 200 for the 2 deep and you're almost at 53 man rosters. (That's really rough math but I think I'm thinking in the right direction there). And obviously the guys in the Super Bowl are going to be on the upper end of that. 

247 has almost 400 4 and 5 stars for 2022. Enough to fill rosters to the 2 deep twice over every year. Yet half the guys starting in the super bowl ranked below that. 

I'd say it kind of signifies how hard making the NFL is and how many 4 and 5 stars flame out. 

Sentimental for the Bengals, all the way....college girlfriend was a Vanderbilt coed from Cincy....I've had lots of great head but she was second best behind a honky tonk special I ran into one night in a Nashville dive but could not bring around polite company....And just a great girlfriend all around. She didn't give a shit about the Bengals, but here's to you, D, I hope life has treated you better than I did and the Bengals win. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Across the draft each year, half will not be significant contributors. Top 3 round picks have benefit of draft bias so they stick longer. counting supplemental picks there are only about 240-250 picks each year. Plus about the same number of UDFA’s signed. And average career is about three years. Stars only count for recruiting, the draft only looks at tape.

Why is it a coin toss? Will they work hard enough? Can they adjust to a game with every position every game is best of the best. In college a few player can dominate a game and most weeks stars are playing against shit at most positions. In high school one player can dominate a game. Most cannot step up to the next level. Can the game slow down enough for them? Can they deal with the power?

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Sentimental for the Bengals, all the way....college girlfriend was a Vanderbilt coed from Cincy....I've had lots of great head but she was second best behind a honky tonk special I ran into one night in a Nashville dive but could not bring around polite company....And just a great girlfriend all around. She didn't give a shit about the Bengals, but here's to you, D, I hope life has treated you better than I did and the Bengals win. 

MarriedShortGalapagossealion-size_restri

man-hand-writing-nashville-with-black-ma

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

How would this be legendary. It’s LA people walk around smoking weed in public here like it’s a bottle of water. 

Possibly due to the League’s stance on weed and the suspension of players who toke it up.  Snoop firing one up during halftime on the game’s biggest stage would be fun to see. 

5 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Is it just me, or would anyone else rather watch some Olympics rather than a 5 hour pregame? 

We're watching the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet right now. Team Ruff is taking a 4 point lead into halftime, but I think Team Fluff is going to start the 3rd quarter off strong and take back the lead. If anyone wants to wager on it, I got a guy that'll take your action.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Early 90s to mid aughts Snoop would take that weed challenge

Mid aughts to present Snoop shills for Tostitos, Corona, Just Eat, General Insurance etc etc etc.

He will definitely have a blunt at some point on tv I think, no one cares about weed these days. 

back to the burrow history talk....

SBIII Namath: first instance

SBIV Dawson: won his first 2 playoff games which were both AFL title games, but was then crushed by the packers in SB1, rendering his win in SB4 moot

SBV Unitas: won his first 2 playoff games, NFL title game wins for colts over ginas in 58 and 59, but lost the NFL title game in 64 (browns d. colts, last browns "full title" before SB era)

SBVI Staubach*: possibly the 2nd instance.... he played in the divisional loss to the browns in 69, going 4-5 for 44 yards and a TD....  but Morton started and took the loss with an 11.1 rating and was clearly the losing qb; Staubach was not on the roster in the 1970 playoff (i don't know why) and then won his first 3 plaoyff starts up to and including SBVI