Texas @ Baylor - 11:00am ESPN2

BigOrange1

Just now, Porterhouse said:

Well we look putrid on O. Shooting less than 33% and getting dusted on the glass. And somehow we are winning turnover battle. Losing to Baylor on the road is fine. This game isn’t acceptable no matter how many times SL Express wants to argue otherwise. 

We look putrid on offense because this is an elite level defense. We are getting dusted on the glass because this is a team of elite level athletes. This isn’t that hard

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is below 30% from 2-point range bad?  Asking for a friend.

37.5% isn’t. 32.8% from the field is atrocious. Not sure what game everyone was watching today, and everyone seems content to get blown out by Baylor. 

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

They’re not that good - not by a long shot. They had been playing average at best, getting worked by KU - WORKED. There’s no excuse to lose a game by no less than 20 and Beard’s personnel choices are questionable today to say the least. 

this is just dumb. plain old wrong and dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Porterhouse said:

37.5% isn’t. 32.8% from the field is atrocious. Not sure what game everyone was watching today, and everyone seems content to get blown out by Baylor. 

It’s not about being content. It’s understanding that losing to Baylor at Baylor, even in blowout fashion, isn’t surprising and isn’t embarrassing. We need to be better but this game doesn’t tell us much if anything about this team other than that we aren’t a title contender. 

Some of the stats from that game are shocking to me.

Texas had 9 more shots on goal than Baylor, 61 to 52.

Texas made the same amount of 3 point shots, for a higher percentage. 6-16 versus 6-18.

Texas had more offensive rebounds than Baylor - 15 to 13.

Texas had more assists than Baylor - 14 -10

Texas had fewer turnovers than Baylor, 10 to 12.

Baylor was called for more fouls than Texas, 21 to 20. 

The entire difference in the game came from Baylor making 6 more shots because they shot 50% from the field versus UT's 33%, and they made 5 more free throws, 22-27 over 17-23.

Honestly, Texas looked totally overmatched on both sides of the court. I hope for a better outcome in Austin, but if Baylor plays as dialed in as they did on defense, I feel like that will be a tough win to come by.

• Like 1

Yeah, Baylor is still just really good and we're just now finally getting back to non-suckiness.  The blowout score hurts, but losing in Waco is no fucking surprise.  I certainly hope we're more competitive when they come to Austin in a couple weeks.  As for the administration and the SEC (post #410)...they're doing all they can.  This is really just a cash pro-forma spreadsheet at this point between us, OU, the SEC, and ESPN/Disney.  It'll get worked out for the 2023-24 Athletics season as it was always intended to.  

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

...everyone seems content to get blown out by Baylor. 

Or we can have unrealistic expectations about this team and throw a tantrum when they expectedly get their shit packed in by a demonstrably better team playing better basketball that day.

I like watching this team play. I liked watching them play today. It was an unfortunate result, but not a surprising one. I expect the result to be better at OU on Tuesday. I think they might even be able to win that game, although it will be a challenge. Then you have Tech coming in on Saturday, which has all kinds of drama around it. 

Lots of losable games left. TCU at home is the one must win game. I'd like to see them eke out 2 more. That would put them at 10-8 for conference, which for me would be an outstanding result. 9-9 would be really good. Even 8-10 gets them in the NCAA tournament. This is year one. Lots of things to be excited about in year one. Or you can get pissy about a Baylor program that has it going on flexing all over this Texas team. I don't blame you for the sentiment, but I feel like you're getting worked up for no good reason, really. Things are heading in the right direction finally after 6 years of wandering in the desert. I'm excited about that, even if you aren't.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Texas made the same amount of 3 point shots, for a higher percentage. 6-16 versus 6-18.

The entire difference in the game came from Baylor making 6 more shots because they shot 50% from the field versus UT's 33%, and they made 5 more free throws, 22-27 over 17-23.

Honestly, Texas looked totally overmatched on both sides of the court. I hope for a better outcome in Austin, but if Baylor plays as dialed in as they did on defense, I feel like that will be a tough win to come by.

Baylor outrebounded Texas 42 to 32.

Beard upset that his team can't handle success -- play really well, then follow it up with a lethargic effort...

Said Texas was beaten at every level today.

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We look putrid on offense because this is an elite level defense. We are getting dusted on the glass because this is a team of elite level athletes. This isn’t that hard

Baylor is a good team.  There is no doubt. But let's not make it sound like they are a G league contender.  Truth is Baylor got run by Kansas and were pissed.  We beat Kansas and were feeling good about ourselves.  Baylor brought the intensity and we didn't match it.  Beard basically just echoed this in his post game presser.  We have to be mentally stronger than this if we want to win games in the tourney.  That wasn't about how good Baylor is.  It was about the poor effort we brought.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

When he was out everyone posted how he’s our best big man and when we get him to watch out. Maybe I’m not seeing something.. 

No one ever thought he was our best big man but he is our only rim protector. Problem is he’s an absolute zero on the other end and can’t switch like our other bigs.

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

This is the most frustrating part. That and just totally turtling on the road again

Beard also said Texas had to much one-on-one ball on offense today -- lack of ball movement, flow and rhythm hurt...

If Timmy or Carr aren't scoring, Texas is not a good basketball team...  

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one ever thought he was our best big man but he is our only rim protector. Problem is he’s an absolute zero on the other end and can’t switch like our other bigs.

No we had a few posters saying he was our best big man before he came back from injury. But either way. He’s been a huge disappointment. If he’s still injured why is he playing?

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Beard also said Texas had to much one-on-one ball on offense today -- lack of ball movement, flow and rhythm hurt...

If Timmy or Carr aren't scoring, Texas is not a good basketball team...  

The team doesn’t have a guy that can beat his man and make the defense react. 
so, they need to win on offense with off-ball movement and passing. 
it would also be nice to hit a fair number of decent shots you get, which they did not do today but Baylor did. 

7 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Baylor is a good team.  There is no doubt. But let's not make it sound like they are a G league contender.  Truth is Baylor got run by Kansas and were pissed.  We beat Kansas and were feeling good about ourselves.  Baylor brought the intensity and we didn't match it.  Beard basically just echoed this in his post game presser.  We have to be mentally stronger than this if we want to win games in the tourney.  That wasn't about how good Baylor is.  It was about the poor effort we brought.  

I feel like when Baylor was playing at their best earlier in the year they looked like the best, most complete team in the country. They had some of the best guard play. They had length and athleticism in the front court. They had excellent perimeter shooting. They had one of the most suffocating switching man to man half court defenses. Then the injury bug hit them and they seemed to have lost their identity. 

Sure, the Baylor team that wasn’t playing well is a long ways away from world beaters. But that’s not the version we got today. We got the world beater version. 

And of course that’s what Beard echoes. Who wants a fucking head coach who talks about a loss like it was inevitable because they were better? I don’t. I want a coach exhorting his guys to play better, trying to get every ounce out of them that he can. I loved that timeout in the first half - which he almost never calls, btw - where he’s red in the face screaming at Mitchell, Cunningham and Bishop trying to get them to up their intensity on defense. That’s the coach I want all the way. And we got him.  

But I’m not a coach. I’m a fan on a message board. And for me I’m going to watch games trying to develop and keep realistic expectations. Because it’s not my responsibility to get these guys to play at their best every game. And if it were up to us on a message board to constantly be trying to develop teams into the best version of themselves based on the posts we make, we’re all in trouble. 

Beard is not going to be satisfied this year with anything less than a national championship. Is that extreme? Probably. But who would want something different in their head coach? That’s EXACTLY what I want. But fuck me if I’m going along for that same ride. My team didn’t make the Elite Eight a few years ago and followed that up with an appearance in a national championship game. My team has been squandering opportunities for 14 years now. Don’t we have like the third most NBA players in college basketball? And what do we have to show for it? 

All I really want this season is to make the tournament and win a game. Baby steps. If they can get to the Sweet Sixteen, for me that’s like other programs getting to the Final Four. I want to see the fan support continue to grow, and for the environment to be a revelation next year for people who haven’t been paying attention, and don’t understand how badly the fan base has been institutionalized to be horrible. 

ALL of that is possible. The loss to Baylor in Waco, regardless of the final score, takes NONE of that away. Heck, I posted that on the first page of this thread, so it’s not like an excuse I’m making because the team unexpectedly lost. This felt like a likely scenario to me. This team is decent, but it has severe limitations, especially in terms of its overall athleticism and length. Baylor is simply the better team. Railing about effort, or system, or anything else doesn’t change that. Let’s see what the comparison looks like next year with the incoming recruiting class and another year with the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s not about being content. It’s understanding that losing to Baylor at Baylor, even in blowout fashion, isn’t surprising and isn’t embarrassing. We need to be better but this game doesn’t tell us much if anything about this team other than that we aren’t a title contender. 

I don’t disagree with the fact that we aren’t a contender or Baylor has better players. I love what Beard is doing. If you think Baylor is head and shoulders above us (they aren’t) and that our play wasn’t embarrassing in this game (it was) I don’t know what to tell you. I sure as shit know Beard will be telling the team that. Am I down on the team?  No. This is one tough road game. But y’all have either become apathetic through the end Barnes years / Shaka years, or way too forgiving of Beard, to the point where you can’t analyze a game. This, in a vacuum, was an embarrassing performance. 

50 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

To me, the huge disparity in quickness made the game seem much more lopsided than those stats suggest. When their guards are blowing past you and your interior offense is timid, you're not going to look good.

Does that mean we can't beat them? Of course not. But we'll clearly have to get more guys going on offense and hope the Bears shoot poorly. Winning the next one starts with smothering their guards to whatever extent we're able. I trust we can find a way to do a better job of that, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Or we can have unrealistic expectations about this team and throw a tantrum when they expectedly get their shit packed in by a demonstrably better team playing better basketball that day.

I like watching this team play. I liked watching them play today. It was an unfortunate result, but not a surprising one. I expect the result to be better at OU on Tuesday. I think they might even be able to win that game, although it will be a challenge. Then you have Tech coming in on Saturday, which has all kinds of drama around it. 

Lots of losable games left. TCU at home is the one must win game. I'd like to see them eke out 2 more. That would put them at 10-8 for conference, which for me would be an outstanding result. 9-9 would be really good. Even 8-10 gets them in the NCAA tournament. This is year one. Lots of things to be excited about in year one. Or you can get pissy about a Baylor program that has it going on flexing all over this Texas team. I don't blame you for the sentiment, but I feel like you're getting worked up for no good reason, really. Things are heading in the right direction finally after 6 years of wandering in the desert. I'm excited about that, even if you aren't.

There’s a lot of overreaction at my purported overreaction. I’m not throwing a tantrum. We got beat thoroughly and I thought the MOV was closer than the game actually was. It is wholly acceptable and I expected us to lose in Waco. I have very realistic expectations for this team, and think they’re a sweet 16 max team. I wouldn’t be surprised in we get best by a lower seed in R32. My expectations are to finish slightly over .500 in conference play, and get 1 of 2 against Bears or Raiders at home. 

I wasn’t even surprised we played poorly today. But we did. I can admit it, not throw a tantrum, and realize it’s Big 12 hoops and it’s going to happen, and it’s not an indictment of the team of Beard. But y’all can’t handle that so I’ll just move on. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t disagree with the fact that we aren’t a contender or Baylor has better players. I love what Beard is doing. If you think Baylor is head and shoulders above us (they aren’t) and that our play wasn’t embarrassing in this game (it was) I don’t know what to tell you. I sure as shit know Beard will be telling the team that. Am I down on the team?  No. This is one tough road game. But y’all have either become apathetic through the end Barnes years / Shaka years, or way too forgiving of Beard, to the point where you can’t analyze a game. This, in a vacuum, was an embarrassing performance. 

I guess I feel like you haven’t watched enough of Baylor this year playing at their best. 

It’s not like the Barnes/Shaka years are the distant past. Those years have made up our past 14 seasons, including the prior year. It’s what we are as a program. Saying something different doesn’t make it so. We don’t get to automatically take on Beard’s resume in one year simply because he’s now the head coach. 

And hell yeah I’m forgiving of Beard. He took an absolute debacle of a roster and has made it into something. He was great on the recruiting trail in the portal and for the 2022 class. He’s been better than we deserve in terms of fan engagement, and he’s pulled the administration into supporting the students over donors in ways we’ve NEVER seen at Texas. 

He has a vision for the team and program. There’s been improvement in the team over the course of the year. What is there not to forgive? We’ve been putting up with Shaka Smart for 6 long fucking years. I’ve fucking HATED our program and team with that guy in charge. Always knew we were getting fools gold with that guy (after his second year), to his very last game. No pride in being right every step of the way. Just so ever fucking grateful he’s now gone, and we didn’t have to hear how racist we are as an institution on his way out the way I had to with Charlie Strong. 

So no. I don’t agree that it was an embarrassing performance. I feel like we still have a chance to grab 3 more wins in conference play, as challenging as that will be, to go 10-8. Which to me will be a terrific first year in a rolling ball of steak knives of a conference. 9-9 would be really good. And 8-10, while disappointing would still get us in the tournament with a shot at a first round win. 

My thoughts on this team didn’t change after the win over the Jayhawks, and it hasn’t changed after this loss. Bring on OU in Norman. I’m excited to see what happens. Haven’t been able to say that at this stage of the season for over a decade. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Had to DVR this curbstomping and just finished. 

1) Beard makes a LOT of horrible strategic decisions in games. Was he this poor at Tech with strategy too? It’s almost inexcusable. 
2) this team needs someone my on staff to teach offense. Beard can’t. This offense continues to be brutal/horrifying. It really is amazing they were able to outscore Kansas. 

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

1) Beard makes a LOT of horrible strategic decisions in games.

Like what? Maybe outline some of them. He played a weird 5 guard lineup in the 2nd half but we were down by like 18 and everyone in the front court was in foul trouble. 

Even when his substitutions seem weird I can almost always guess why he's doing what he's doing. He also has like 2 or 3 guys at most that are consistent game to game. 

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Had to DVR this curbstomping and just finished. 

1) Beard makes a LOT of horrible strategic decisions in games. Was he this poor at Tech with strategy too? It’s almost inexcusable. 
2) this team needs someone my on staff to teach offense. Beard can’t. This offense continues to be brutal/horrifying. It really is amazing they were able to outscore Kansas. 

Baylor shut down Allen.  If Allen doesn't lead us, we are usually in trouble.

It’s astounding how unathletic our roster is overall. We went from one extreme under Shaka where several guys were athletic freaks who could jump out of the gym, to the other extreme with this roster. While I do like that we’re a more fundamentally sound team than any roster under Shaka, I’m really hoping these high profile freshman coming in next season give us a few more options for playing above the rim. 

I think when Beard built this roster in the offseason he was anticipating much more production from Carr. In my option he’s been the biggest disappointment by far. Timmy and Mitchell have been great additions to the roster, but neither have the game to be a top offensive option in the Big 12. I didn’t watch much from Carr during his Minnesota days other than the highlight packages circulated around during his recruitment, so I don’t know if he’s just having a bad season or if he just sucks. Unfortunately, based on what I’ve seen from him so far I think it’s the latter. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Like what? Maybe outline some of them. He played a weird 5 guard lineup in the 2nd half but we were down by like 18 and everyone in the front court was in foul trouble. 

Even when his substitutions seem weird I can almost always guess why he's doing what he's doing. He also has like 2 or 3 guys at most that are consistent game to game. 

Going back weeks ago, he’s made a lot of mystifying lineup decisions or sub decisions. Todays was the guard lineup, at Tech playing whatshisface while we were getting beat down just to spry to show up Tech. The KSU debacle had several really weird playcall and sub decisions. 

This roster should be better offensively than it is imo. It is like they’re playing with an arm tied behind their back sometimes. 

Baylor shutting down Allen was predictable and we had no real plan it seemed to work around it. 

53 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess I feel like you haven’t watched enough of Baylor this year playing at their best. 

It’s not like the Barnes/Shaka years are the distant past. Those years have made up our past 14 seasons, including the prior year. It’s what we are as a program. Saying something different doesn’t make it so. We don’t get to automatically take on Beard’s resume in one year simply because he’s now the head coach. 

And hell yeah I’m forgiving of Beard. He took an absolute debacle of a roster and has made it into something. He was great on the recruiting trail in the portal and for the 2022 class. He’s been better than we deserve in terms of fan engagement, and he’s pulled the administration into supporting the students over donors in ways we’ve NEVER seen at Texas. 

He has a vision for the team and program. There’s been improvement in the team over the course of the year. What is there not to forgive? We’ve been putting up with Shaka Smart for 6 long fucking years. I’ve fucking HATED our program and team with that guy in charge. Always knew we were getting fools gold with that guy (after his second year), to his very last game. No pride in being right every step of the way. Just so ever fucking grateful he’s now gone, and we didn’t have to hear how racist we are as an institution on his way out the way I had to with Charlie Strong. 

So no. I don’t agree that it was an embarrassing performance. I feel like we still have a chance to grab 3 more wins in conference play, as challenging as that will be, to go 10-8. Which to me will be a terrific first year in a rolling ball of steak knives of a conference. 9-9 would be really good. And 8-10, while disappointing would still get us in the tournament with a shot at a first round win. 

My thoughts on this team didn’t change after the win over the Jayhawks, and it hasn’t changed after this loss. Bring on OU in Norman. I’m excited to see what happens. Haven’t been able to say that at this stage of the season for over a decade. 

Ok

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel like when Baylor was playing at their best earlier in the year they looked like the best, most complete team in the country. They had some of the best guard play. They had length and athleticism in the front court. They had excellent perimeter shooting. They had one of the most suffocating switching man to man half court defenses. Then the injury bug hit them and they seemed to have lost their identity. 

Sure, the Baylor team that wasn’t playing well is a long ways away from world beaters. But that’s not the version we got today. We got the world beater version. 

And of course that’s what Beard echoes. Who wants a fucking head coach who talks about a loss like it was inevitable because they were better? I don’t. I want a coach exhorting his guys to play better, trying to get every ounce out of them that he can. I loved that timeout in the first half - which he almost never calls, btw - where he’s red in the face screaming at Mitchell, Cunningham and Bishop trying to get them to up their intensity on defense. That’s the coach I want all the way. And we got him.  

But I’m not a coach. I’m a fan on a message board. And for me I’m going to watch games trying to develop and keep realistic expectations. Because it’s not my responsibility to get these guys to play at their best every game. And if it were up to us on a message board to constantly be trying to develop teams into the best version of themselves based on the posts we make, we’re all in trouble. 

Beard is not going to be satisfied this year with anything less than a national championship. Is that extreme? Probably. But who would want something different in their head coach? That’s EXACTLY what I want. But fuck me if I’m going along for that same ride. My team didn’t make the Elite Eight a few years ago and followed that up with an appearance in a national championship game. My team has been squandering opportunities for 14 years now. Don’t we have like the third most NBA players in college basketball? And what do we have to show for it? 

All I really want this season is to make the tournament and win a game. Baby steps. If they can get to the Sweet Sixteen, for me that’s like other programs getting to the Final Four. I want to see the fan support continue to grow, and for the environment to be a revelation next year for people who haven’t been paying attention, and don’t understand how badly the fan base has been institutionalized to be horrible. 

ALL of that is possible. The loss to Baylor in Waco, regardless of the final score, takes NONE of that away. Heck, I posted that on the first page of this thread, so it’s not like an excuse I’m making because the team unexpectedly lost. This felt like a likely scenario to me. This team is decent, but it has severe limitations, especially in terms of its overall athleticism and length. Baylor is simply the better team. Railing about effort, or system, or anything else doesn’t change that. Let’s see what the comparison looks like next year with the incoming recruiting class and another year with the portal. 

So then, you feel like we played the best we could today?  Just Baylor was that much better than us?  I think today was a loss no matter what, but I don't think we played well at all.  It's not like we left it all on the court and they were just better.  I don't think Beard was blowing smoke when he said his team doesn't know how to handle success.  We did not play our best today.  Baylor's D didn't cause us to fumble passes right into their hands.  That was inattention to detail and just not showing up.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

There’s a lot of overreaction at my purported overreaction. I’m not throwing a tantrum. We got beat thoroughly and I thought the MOV was closer than the game actually was. It is wholly acceptable and I expected us to lose in Waco. I have very realistic expectations for this team, and think they’re a sweet 16 max team. I wouldn’t be surprised in we get best by a lower seed in R32. My expectations are to finish slightly over .500 in conference play, and get 1 of 2 against Bears or Raiders at home. 

I wasn’t even surprised we played poorly today. But we did. I can admit it, not throw a tantrum, and realize it’s Big 12 hoops and it’s going to happen, and it’s not an indictment of the team of Beard. But y’all can’t handle that so I’ll just move on. 

It was a horrible effort.  Baylor does have players who can make shots, we don't.  

I agree on your other point, you felt the MOV was closer than the game was because AJ made a couple of 3's when the game was already over.

16 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Going back weeks ago, he’s made a lot of mystifying lineup decisions or sub decisions.

It's almost as if you don't see what he's trying to do -- he's sending messages.  Whether he's fully adept at knowing when to send the message and when to just play for the win is up for debate, but most of those substitutions occur when the game is effectively out of reach.

I really don't have a problem with this guy, seeing what the upside can look like (KU).  

Edited by jimmyjazz