Texas @ Baylor - 11:00am ESPN2

BigOrange1

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Aside from them being bigger, quicker,  deeper, more skilled and at home, this is an even matchup. 

Yeah, it's rough. Drew at Baylor just really has it going on. I hate the guy, but it's impressive. Baylor at their best this year has looked like the best team in the country. And even with the injuries, they keep pushing on. 

Right now they just look like they're on a different level. Texas has to play their best game just to keep within sight. They're not playing their best today.

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, they do.  They're shooting 52% from the field, 12-13 from the line, and they're winning turnovers and rebounds.  It's an ass kicking master class.

… and yet there continues to be murmurs that the officiating is uneven.  Why should it, there’s nothing even about the teams?

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… and yet there continues to be murmurs that the officiating is uneven.  Why should it, there’s nothing even about the teams?

The officiating has been fine.  We have 12 free throws and they have 15.  10 fouls on each team.  That ain't the problem today, or most other days.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am so fucking tired of our offense looking the exact same for the past 10 fucking years.  Doesnt matter who the coach is.  We stand around, dont do shit, and throw up an embarrassing 3 at the last second of the shot clock.  Meanwhile, Baylor is getting easy wide open shots and alley oops.  

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The officiating has been fine.  We have 12 free throws and they have 15.  10 fouls on each team.  That ain't the problem today, or most other days.

The non over the back on Mitchell was shit. Other than that I don't have many gripes. Baylor has gotten whistled for some ticky tack shit against us. 

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

That Thamba abuse of Mitchell on the offensive rebound is a microcosm of the interior softness of this team. No nastiness, no strength, nothing that scares you. 

True. But we aren’t the same type of athlete either. What happens to coaches when they come to Texas that they go after the same type of softer, less athletic recruit/transfer. Baylor gets athletes and molds them.

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Nope .. blaming the officiating is a staple on this board.

Yeah, and probably on every other board, too.  Most fans see the bad calls on their team and not the bad calls on the other team.  Human nature.

I'm of the opinion that it really does even out over time and therefore reffing should only very rarely be bitched about (like when Brock was slammed earlier and they took a look at the replay and still got it wrong). 

Even when it's a last second bad call that costs your team a chance at a W, there were like 25 other things your team could've done better before that moment to win that game.

Etc...

• Hook 'Em 1

Not mad about the score as it seemed inevitable that BU would find its groove and our 'Horns would have a bit of a letdown after KU.

But what does infuriate me is that double tech on Sochan and Brock. Brock did nothing wrong there. He was merely hustling for a loose ball. Bitch-ass Sochan saw he was gonna lose that battle, so he hooked Brock and took him down. Replay clearly demonstrates this, yet the derpy refs go to the monitor and decide double techs are warranted.

@Pancho, as our resident officiating expert, could you take a moment to explain their rationale? I recognize they wanna keep the peace, but fair is fair, and Brock was just hustling as usual.

And disclaimer: I personally don't gaf if Baylor plays great and blows Texas out by 20 or more--a call here or there won't be the reason that happened. This is about principle. What lesson does Sochan learn from the double tech other than he can get away with it again?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

True. But we aren’t the same type of athlete either. What happens to coaches when they come to Texas that they go after the same type of softer, less athletic recruit/transfer. Baylor gets athletes and molds them.

Yep, indeed, no doubt. Baylor plays above the rim with multiple players. We don't have a single guy that can do that. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The non over the back on Mitchell was shit. Other than that I don't have many gripes. Baylor has gotten whistled for some ticky tack shit against us. 

Bishop got hacked down low on a reach as did Allen(twice on shots), then there is the Brock call and every time baylor drives its a soft foul.  Baylor had one ticky tack on Carr late that bailed him out.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, and probably on every other board, too.  Most fans see the bad calls on their team and not the bad calls on the other team.  Human nature.

I'm of the opinion that it really does even out over time and therefore reffing should only very rarely be bitched about (like when Brock was slammed earlier and they took a look at the replay and still got it wrong). 

Even when it's a last second bad call that costs your team a chance at a W, there were like 25 other things your team could've done better before that moment to win that game.

Etc...

A big reason why I love reading other boards. It's bad in all sports, but no sport even remotely comes close to creating the amount of complaints basketball does. 

Heck, the KU boards act like that Texas game is the worst officiated game ever. I mean that. It's been comical. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

I am so fucking tired of our offense looking the exact same for the past 10 fucking years.  Doesnt matter who the coach is.  We stand around, dont do shit, and throw up an embarrassing 3 at the last second of the shot clock.  Meanwhile, Baylor is getting easy wide open shots and alley oops.  

In this case it’s because 1) our guards are not good enough athletes to create open looks and theirs are.  2) they are doing a good job denying the passing lanes. They are a long,  athletic team. We’re not. 

Edited by ClubWhatever