Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I get it, but how does frozen money affect cyberoperations?  Can't pay the neckbeards?

Well ol' Pootin has a far more pressing need for lies and propaganda on the home front right now than continuing to brainwash Joe and Karen Blow stupid ass racist republican American. 

If this doesn't prove to the idiots (it won't) that they have been brainwashed by Russia and Russia sympathizing republican politicians then nothing will. 

This read is not for the faint of heart but so good. 
https://eand.co/is-this-world-war-iii-eed6d0e2dec1

I think the article is filtering for what supports its thesis. Two major issues I have with it:

1. If you’re counting propaganda/destabilization as WW3, then the Cold War should count. The tools are different in the 21st century, but efforts are not.

2. It is ridiculous to blame the rise of global right wing nationalism wholly on Putin. The article doesn’t mention 911. Consider what followed: the normalization of Islamophobia, the invasion of two countries with brown people, the (added) destabilization of the middle east leading to mass immigration (major effects in Europe), 20 years of war and its glorification of the military. I think people underestimate that last one.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I think the article is filtering for what supports its thesis. Two major issues I have with it:

1. If you’re counting propaganda/destabilization as WW3, then the Cold War should count. The tools are different in the 21st century, but efforts are not.

2. It is ridiculous to blame the rise of global right wing nationalism wholly on Putin. The article doesn’t mention 911. Consider what followed: the normalization of Islamophobia, the invasion of two countries with brown people, the (added) destabilization of the middle east leading to mass immigration (major effects in Europe), 20 years of war and its glorification of the military. I think people underestimate that last one.

I don’t disagree with your points, but the overt and aggressive actions ramped up via Putin. He saw an opportunity, and exploited it. And we happily let him. Shit, a huge percentage of our country is still dancing lockstep to music he wrote.

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm wrong? Would be challenging to catastrophic to try to enforce a NFZ if your planes are vulnerable. But please enlighten me. Or are you in agreement?

We enforced a no fly zone in Iraq after the first Gulf War with no forces on the ground. Ukraine has forces on the ground. To enforce a no fly zone you need planes in the sky to shoot down other planes in the sky. You need forces on the ground to help your planes target other forces on the ground. Maybe you don’t technically “need” them, but it helps. And that’s been a big part of our military strategy in the last 20+ years. 

Russian army has been trash since at least the mid-70s.

My cousin was a tank commander in the first gulf war. He said the two biggest surprises of the war was how well our stuff worked and how poorly the Russian stuff did. Granted, that was 30 years ago, and the Iraqis didn’t have the latest and greatest, but the Russian tanks were garbage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1. Putin is ex-KGB and still believes in the leftist ideologies he was raised with. For lack of better evidence it appears he may really believe what he espouses about "former Russian lands". 

2. There are strategic and tactical advantages to controlling Ukraine.

3. NATO while a bit of a screwed up entity, has been a very effective wall against Russian/Soviet expansion. The idea that NATO would expand is likely viewed by Putin as being like a boa constrictor. Once a nation goes over to NATO it gains those protections and is unlikely to be cowed by Russian threats or intimidation. They seriously don't like you laughing at their threats.

4. As others have mentioned, with our announcement a few weeks back that we would not directly intervene, he calculated (poorly) that it would take about 3 days to 1 week to control all of Ukraine and execute the Ukrainian government officials.  Perhaps thinking that it would be over so quickly that sanctions would seem futile and silly.

5. He has amassed an incredible personal fortune (some estimate many billions of dollars) mostly by defrauding the government and the people of Russia. If he is ever removed from power he is likely a dead man, so he has a lot of motivation to stay on top.

These are the main things framing my outlook on the war. My impression is, he thought Ukraine to NATO was intolerable and that he would achieve many goals at once at minimal cost.

No plan survives first contact with the enemy, so from this point forward anything can happen.

As for the article, as soon as a writer picks up the broad brush and starts blaming it all on the Left or all on the Right, I'm out.

I was flying over Siberia two weeks ago, anybody that tells you the Texas panhandle is "more of nothing than anyplace on earth" hasn't seen Siberia.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s why we have to bleed Russia dry here, now.

Awesome segment a few minutes ago on cnn wish i had written down the guy's name.....

says if we shut off the oil payments and lock the fuck down every loophole not just pootie and garchs but the entire fucking country will be bankrupt in "months"

but we can't do that, not because of us political blah-blah.....

italy and austria are 100% dependent on russian oil.

one

hundred

percent

we shut off russian oil and italy and austria go dark

no go

so petro experts, how long to implement a marshall plan to convert italian refineries to consume arab barrels?

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Awesome segment a few minutes ago on cnn wish i had written down the guy's name.....

says if we shut off the oil payments and lock the fuck down every loophole not just pootie and garchs but the entire fucking country will be bankrupt in "months"

but we can't do that, not because of us political blah-blah.....

italy and austria are 100% dependent on russian oil.

one

hundred

percent

we shut off russian oil and italy and austria go dark

no go

so petro experts, how long to implement a marshall plan to convert italian refineries to consume arab barrels?

Just knowing this is a possibility has to figure into Putin’s plans - assuming he’s acting rationally, which is a giant if.  

I don’t disagree with your points, but the overt and aggressive actions ramped up via Putin. He saw an opportunity, and exploited it. And we happily let him. Shit, a huge percentage of our country is still dancing lockstep to music he wrote.

Certainly. No disagreement there. But the oversimplification as the war drums beat concerns me. It’s the basic structure as other pro war propaganda: “our problems are because of them” and “they’ve already attacked us.”
When you see that, it’s good to pause.

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You are not wrong and it’s very clear Ukraine is going to have to pull this off without a NFZ.  Hindsight 20/20, should have established NFZ before invasion and border buildup 

Exactly. The time to draw the line in the sand was when Putin was building up but hadn't committed anything yet. But NATO and America were concerned that would be too aggressive and I doubt any of them thought Putin would actually invade. 

Some of them might have also thought if Putin is stupid enough to invade it will be his downfall so why stop him. 

29 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm wrong? Would be challenging to catastrophic to try to enforce a NFZ if your planes are vulnerable. But please enlighten me. Or are you in agreement?

I always thought a NFZ is what a dominant force does when it has control of an area already. Could be wrong though. 

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I always thought a NFZ is what a dominant force does when it has control of an area already. Could be wrong though. 

Yeah, when there's significant anti-artillery on the ground trying to establish a NFZ would be a costly mistake for both the personnel and aircraft you put in the air.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You are not wrong and it’s very clear Ukraine is going to have to pull this off without a NFZ.  Hindsight 20/20, should have established NFZ before invasion and border buildup 

Do you think ukraine would've been cool with that? 

Was Brittney Griner stupid enough to try to carry a hash pipe out of RU or was she set up? Why the fuck would she not have left the country before yesterday? I'm guessing she was set up by the kgb but her decision to stay there until yesterday was dumb af.

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Was Brittney Griner stupid enough to try to carry a hash pipe out of RU or was she set up? Why the fuck would she not have left the country before yesterday? I'm guessing she was set up by the kgb but her decision to stay there until yesterday was dumb af.

yeah, don't do drugs in a foreign country where they are illegal. 

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

she was detained because she can dunk. They want to study her, take a blood sample, and eventually clone her. The drug charges are a sideshow. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You are welcome.

When you think of post boosting, the closest thing I can think of is a payola scheme from Facebook.  Sure, Facebook will allow you to stick up a post, but to blast it out to more people than actually follow you, you have to pay up.  And this is where dark money comes in; if I get $10,000 in ad money from someplace, I can start boosting all the posts for our business to people who don't even care about our business...which might draw in more "customers".

Ben Shapiro might want to say he has an active following, but without that dark money, how many people would actually follow/share/spread his shit?

How many follow Ben Shapiro to make fun of his self-owns?

3 hours ago, brakeman said:

Get Some!!

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

To enforce a no fly zone, you not only need control of the skies, you also need to control the ground so that your fighters don't get shot down. Am I wrong?

Only if your opponent has competent ground forces

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Ukrainian babies / toddlers are immensely cute, best I've ever seen, which makes the tragedy even worse. 

The young women are naturally beautiful, wholesome (unlike here), and not full of themselves.  

We must help Ukraine as much as possible. 

-Honduran babies, ugly as hell.  Never seen uglier.  The young women are short and fat (much like here).  Never seen as less hot on campus - would not bang.  
-We must declare war on Honduras.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

-Honduran babies, ugly as hell.  Never seen uglier.  The young women are short and fat (much like here).  Never seen as less hot on campus - would not bang.  
-We must declare war on Honduras.  

Russia has decided to keep all the leased airlines they don't own. They're just going to not allow them to fly international routes. What could go wrong?

Russia is exiting the international economy. Except for their grain exports, almost zero economic impact to the ROTW.

Ukraine is asking specificially for old Russian warplanes because their pilots are able to fly those - they don't know how to fly US planes.

P&G, Unilever, Coca-Cola, Danone, Nestle - still doing business with Russia. Ukraine is asking people to boycott those companies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2