Rowlett Helicopter Crash Footage 3/25/22

CHEF DIESEL

1 hour ago, ATexanAbroad said:

username doesnt check out

Grew up here, moved to Austin for college, moved to Knoxville out of boredom, moved back here with my family 4 years ago.

I did drive by the wreckage on the way home.  Not much left.  Tarp covers most, but there was a propellar sticking out.

He looked like a pretty big kid. Played football. I’m guessing the ove-the-shoulder rider restraint was not quite fully closed. I’m 6’5” and not skinny. I’ve had more than one of those restraints seem like it was clicked into place only to have it open mid-ride.

Edit: Just read the kid was 6’5” 340 lbs.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

17 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That's why you'll never find me on a helicopter. 

I love small planes, but all of that fucking vibration against itself that helicopters have?  Why would anybody want to be a part of that?

05AB8CBB-CB40-49B7-945C-CB4134852B86.gif.55353570e05dc5e9ff776ac0b8e88532.gif

You clearly haven’t seen the cinematic masterpiece “Firebirds”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Hairy Biped said:

Maybe he's talking about the 14 year old kid falling out of the ride in Orlando.  It's horrible.https://www.reddit.com/r/ActualPublicFreakouts/comments/tnr44k/nsfl_14_year_old_boy_falls_to_his_death_on_free/

Yep that's the one. Don't these rides have straps that go between your legs? It looks like he just falls through.

^ Sounds like he knew. 

“He was panicking when he was going up,” Yarnell Sampson, the dad of Tyre Sampson, told WOFL. “He was explaining to his friend next to him, ‘I don’t know man. If I don’t make it down, please tell my Mom and Daddy I love them.’ For him to say something like that, he must have felt something.”

Sampson’s description of his son’s fear matches what a woman told a 911 operator just after the tragic fall. In a 911 call obtained by the Daily Mail, a woman claimed Tyre had not been secured in his seat prior to the slip.

“They didn’t secure the seatbelt on him,” she said. He was also breathing just after the fall, she said, but because he had fallen on his stomach, no one could perform CPR. His arms and legs appeared to be broken, she said.

https://news.yahoo.com/dad-says-14-old-son-135748405.html

On 3/26/2022 at 12:11 AM, CoTex said:

Where is the rollercoaster splat thread?

it’s one of two things - either this ride had a size weight limit and this “rider” was unsuitable for the ride; or

the ride restraints were improperly used.

Right?

Or (congruent to your point)

like me, do everything in your power to leave a little space for fun.

Ah...it was a Robinson.
Every single test pilot I worked with at my last job said they'd never get in one of those.  And these are people that fly experimental helicopters for a living.

A cousin had a great career at Bell Helicopter. One of his first gigs after getting his MSE was being the flight test engineer. Meaning he flew next to the test pilot collecting data. He warned all of us never to get into a helicopter, that airworthiness was dependent on total perfection. I’ve only ridden in one twice and hated every second of it, once from Seoul to an LG factory on the coast, and a Hawaii tour.

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

A cousin had a great career at Bell Helicopter. One of his first gigs after getting his MSE was being the flight test engineer. Meaning he flew next to the test pilot collecting data. He warned all of us never to get into a helicopter, that airworthiness was dependent on total perfection. I’ve only ridden in one twice and hated every second of it, once from Seoul to an LG factory on the coast, and a Hawaii tour.

I've got 150 hrs as an FTE in a 412.  It was an experimental helicopter used by Canada's NRC (their version of NASA).  We flew some experimental control laws so basically the aircraft was being controlled by a laptop in front of me while I monitored a bunch of Simulink strip charts.  Fun times.

helicopter_national_research_council_can

I was actually in the simulation modeling group so being able to get in a real helicopter was pretty cool for me.  I've got well over a 1000 hrs flying the various simulators...

PM me your cousin's name.  It's possible I know him.

I've dealt with some helicopter experts and they all stated a variation of:  Helicopters don't want to fly. They just stay in the air with a million parts working in opposition to each other and any disruption to this delicate balance and it will fall down to the earth immediately. Planes want to fly and they glide if something goes wrong. Helicopters don't do either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gernblansten said:

I've dealt with some helicopter experts and they all stated a variation of:  Helicopters don't want to fly. They just stay in the air with a million parts working in opposition to each other and any disruption to this delicate balance and it will fall down to the earth immediately. Planes want to fly and they glide if something goes wrong. Helicopters don't do either. 

we took a helicopter ride in Hawaii a couple years ago, flew over/around two different islands. absolutely breathtaking and a once in a lifetime experience.

20171205_121504.thumb.jpg.590b82789871045adc862b0d856a5df4.jpg20171205_122403.thumb.jpg.2e35fbb5c809787a865420bfadd7b132.jpg

i am so glad i was unaware of this at the time lol 😐

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

we took a helicopter ride in Hawaii a couple years ago, flew over/around two different islands. absolutely breathtaking and a once in a lifetime experience.

20171205_121504.thumb.jpg.590b82789871045adc862b0d856a5df4.jpg20171205_122403.thumb.jpg.2e35fbb5c809787a865420bfadd7b132.jpg

i am so glad i was unaware of this at the time lol 😐

Only time I've ever been in a helicopter and I have to say it was pretty fucking cool. But the whole idea that they can't glide if something goes wrong is completely unsettling. But they fly the damn POTUS/VPOTUS around in the damn things all the time with seemingly no worries. When I was working for KMOL in SA right out of college, I had the opportunity to be the intern who went on the helo to several Friday Night football games but turned it down every damn week.

My uncle (technically my first cousin) flew Marine One detail back in the 1980's. Flew Reagan (or maybe it was Bush 1) a couple of times but usually flew the backup helo, I think. Another uncle flew helicopters in the Army and late died while flying offshore drillers back and forth for a O&G company. Luckily he was on his way back when he had mechanical problems and had to ditch into the sea. My cousins got a healthy payout from Rolls Royce on that deal.

Oh, and a HS friend of mine who played baseball at Tech was in a helicopter accident quite a few years back that killed his wife and the pilot. He survived. They were flying around looking at potential ranchland to buy and I think got caught up in some power lines or something.

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Only time I've ever been in a helicopter and I have to say it was pretty fucking cool. But the whole idea that they can't glide if something goes wrong is completely unsettling. But they fly the damn POTUS/VPOTUS around in the damn things all the time with seemingly no worries. When I was working for KMOL in SA right out of college, I had the opportunity to be the intern who went on the helo to several Friday Night football games but turned it down every damn week.

My uncle (technically my first cousin) flew Marine One detail back in the 1980's. Flew Reagan (or maybe it was Bush 1) a couple of times but usually flew the backup helo, I think. Another uncle flew helicopters in the Army and late died while flying offshore drillers back and forth for a O&G company. Luckily he was on his way back when he had mechanical problems and had to ditch into the sea. My cousins got a healthy payout from Rolls Royce on that deal.

Most...but not all...helicopters can autorotate if they lose engines.  It's not a complicated process, but it IS one that has to be recognized very quickly so that the collective can be dropped in time.  Then, it is kind of like gliding.

However, Robinsons have low inertia rotors which make an autorotation more difficult.  Pretty much all Bell products are designed to be easy to autorotate because they have high inertia rotors which slow down a lot slower when power is removed.

You also have to watch out for being in the "Dead Man's Curve".  In this area, you either don't have enough potential+kinetic energy or altitude to recover from many problems.

Bell206-HV-diagram-pg.21-markup.png?resi

That being said, losing the tail boom is pretty much a death sentence.  Two of my pilot friends died in 2016 doing flight test when the tail boom separated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

But they fly the damn POTUS/VPOTUS around in the damn things all the time with seemingly no worries.

Ima say HMX-1 birds probably get excessive love and attention over an beyond anything found in the regular service or flying out to oil rigs/ accident scenes. They’re not trying to turn a profit.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1

There’s always been the opportunity to get an air tour of the grounds (at least pre-Covid) when I was at the ROT rally…but it was a dangerous-looking prototype and I don’t trust the weekend warriors to not constantly be tipping the pilot with shitty, hot Miller Lights.   Even at my drunkest I had no desire to try that out.  

And, oblig from Zero Dark

image.gif.f205ad90b9c0cb857bba9ce75d2fdf37.gif