2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This is a nothing-burger, I think it's Dusty not wanting the media to think LMJ is our #4 starter or some such shit. I think it's the Astros braintrust looking at the matchups and knowing that Javier is the guy to give the ball to in a game NY MUST WIN, then turning to the veteran executioner LMJ to complete the sweep in NY.

Yeah, Granato was saying a few days ago that guys in the organization had told him Javier will go game 3. This was planned.

I mean, Ok I guess on Dusty. It would be nice to just construct the roster in such a way that he can't do stupid shit all year long to aggravate me (I'm not opposed to resting guys to keep their load down for the playoffs, I mean dumbass shit like hitting Dubon 3rd if he happens to play for Yordan type dumb) but it's pretty clear that he either makes non dipshit decisions in the playoffs and plays it straight or someone is leaning on him to keep him between the rails.  
I think it probably makes it a really bad idea if you want to go youth movement to keep any veterans at all on the roster (hint- if Yuli comes back to be a backup and they want to give that job to Y Diaz Dusty gonna play Yuli 147 games b/c Dusty) but maybe they make their peace with that.  Dusty isn't going to maximize the teams wins during the regular season but you have such a deep roster that it's probably not necessary.  This team could win 100+ games with any non pyscopath that doesn't actively work to antagonize the roster.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

yeah and you assholes on this board. I typically watch on my desktop pc and it takes a lot more discipline than I have to watch games a minute-plus behind the Surly Astros thread. I can't quit y'all.

It’s kind of cool when the video gets to a crucial part of the game then this site has a notification pop up that there are 57 new replies to the thread.

I wouldn't sweat it if you didn't get/buy any WS tickets. History shows that many of the tickets are bought solely to sell on Stubhub. Most likely 10-15% of the tickets are for sale the day or 2 before a game. You can even find deals where the seller is taking a loss to move them.

You can even wait right up to the game and look for a deal while you're sitting at a bar downtown. Worse case, you have more money in your pocket.

• Hook 'Em 2

Only box wine and bud heavies for celebrations from here on out:

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wouldn't sweat it if you didn't get/buy any WS tickets. History shows that many of the tickets are bought solely to sell on Stubhub. Most likely 10-15% of the tickets are for sale the day or 2 before a game. You can even find deals where the seller is taking a loss to move them.

You can even wait right up to the game and look for a deal while you're sitting at a bar downtown. Worse case, you have more money in your pocket.

This is what I did for WS Game 1 last year. Probably saved 10% over presale prices. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Rain all you want.  Helps us with the deeper staff.

i would argue the opposite.  thinner staff would get more rest if games are pushed back.

that said, if there's a game 4 with delays, nobody is better equipped to handle that shit.  if lance goes 3 then there's a 2 hour delay and we still have brown, urquidy, and garcia ready to go the next 3-4, that definitely favors us.

• Hook 'Em 4

Can we name Espada the manager-in-waiting? I mean it’s worked so well in college football lol

I was really hoping we would win Dusty his WS this year and he would ride off into the sunset. Not because he is a bad manager but just for the long term success and continuity of the team. We still have a young core and obviously Dusty can’t go on forever. But anyone who saw his interview yesterday knew he wasn’t leaving and it would take some big stones by the Astros to ask him to leave. He said if he wins one then he wants to win two and TBS called him a MLB legend and a hero and role model for black and Latino players. Don’t disagree with any of that but the PR blow back would be huge if Astros asked him to leave even to hire Espada who is Latino. See you with a ring in ‘23, Dusty. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i would argue the opposite.  thinner staff would get more rest if games are pushed back.

that said, if there's a game 4 with delays, nobody is better equipped to handle that shit.  if lance goes 3 then there's a 2 hour delay and we still have brown, urquidy, and garcia ready to go the next 3-4, that definitely favors us.

I was think delays, not postponements.  

When we finish them off this weekend, Crane needs to go ahead and rent a box for every regular season series in Yankee stadium from now on and have our own Astros old-timers day in the stadium we own.

Roy/Pete/Kirk/Brad/Octavio/Billy/Dallas/Christian/Hector/Ryan all have a lifetime invitation from the pitching side.