Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’m pretty disappointed in our coaches and admin if this is true.  Siap

image.thumb.png.e31a54ebba8b43a1402a45e8f49f7898.png

Mr. Bowlsby,

Please provide one example, just one, of these lies that our leaders and top coaches told you.  You don't have to identify the source of this lie.  Since you spoke to so many people over such an extended period of time, you won't be outing anybody, and you should have numerous examples to share.  Just one specific example of a lie would suffice.  Otherwise, shut the fuck up, and go fuck yourself, you worthless sack of shit.  Thank you.  Respectfully, Surly.

• Hook 'Em 8

Yeah, I'm real disappointed our administration didn't fess up to Bowlsby and let him know they were leaving. Because Bowlsby would have completely been good with that, the story wouldn't have gotten out, and leeches wouldn't have tried everything in their power to permanently tie us to them forever. 

Or maybe Bowlsby is referencing all the times he asked the administration and coaches if he was a good commissioner, which they all said yes to him. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 83Horn said:

Mr. Bowlsby,

Please provide one example, just one, of these lies that our leaders and top coaches told you.  You don't have to identify the source of this lie.  Since you spoke to so many people over such an extended period of time, you won't be outing anybody, and you should have numerous examples to share.  Just one specific example of a lie would suffice.  Otherwise, shut the fuck up, and go fuck yourself, you worthless sack of shit.  Thank you.  Respectfully, Surly.

Bowlsby "Hey Sark, I bet you're glad to be out of the SEC."

Sark "yeah, I am."

Bowlsby "The SEC I said."

Sark "........."

No lies told.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Well my co-worker who's nephew is being strongly recruited by OU says that their coaches are telling recruits that it'll be a year or two at most in the Big XII. I don't think anyone seriously believes this will go on til 2025.

It won’t go past this year. We have the money for a full buyout. We can drop that and walk away with both middle fingers in the air. 

Before it gets to that, we will of course try to pay less. If nobody bites, so be it. Fuck em all. Burn it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

It won’t go past this year. We have the money for a full buyout. We can drop that and walk away with both middle fingers in the air. 

Before it gets to that, we will of course try to pay less. If nobody bites, so be it. Fuck em all. Burn it down. 

Yep.  It's like paying 100 bucks for a 10,000 lottery ticket.  And to be rid of your ex-wife.

Bowlsby was always an incompetent clown. The difference after he took over from interim commissioner chuck neinas was striking, even more striking than when neinas had to step in after the incompetence of Dan beebe. In other words, bowlsby was a step down from beebe. The dude should just retire. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

The Big 10 being part of that makes no sense. They are the direct competitor with the SEC. they don’t need it to roll in that much money. I can see maybe with the PAC based on the rose bowl history and relationship, but not to bolster the money or prestige.

I agree with you, it makes the B1G look weak IMHO

https://theathletic.com/2772414/2021/08/16/staples-why-would-the-big-ten-form-an-alliance-with-the-acc-and-pac-12-its-all-about-tvs-four-million-club/

Spoiler

The ACC, the Big Ten and the Pac-12 are planning something. The Athletic broke that news on Friday, but since even the principals of the deal haven’t quite agreed on exactly what they’re going to do together, it’s difficult to project how impactful an alliance could be. If it’s purely a voting bloc to administratively demonstrate how mad everyone is at SEC commissioner Greg Sankey for taking Oklahoma and Texas from the Big 12 while on a working group to expand the College Football Playoff, then it likely won’t accomplish much because the three leagues’ needs don’t always align.

But if the plan includes a scheduling alliance to create more games in the Four Million Club for each league, then it could be a valuable partnership for all of them. It also could benefit the viewers by giving us more interesting games to watch.

What’s the Four Million Club? It’s the group of football games that draw more than four million viewers.

These are the games networks are willing to pay premium prices for, and they’re also the type of games the SEC’s addition of Oklahoma and Texas will add to that league’s inventory. In conversations with television executives and consultants, conference officials and athletic directors, it has become clear that the hunt for premium television product will drive this round of realignment (or, in the case of the alliance, rearranging). So I asked a trusted source who has been involved with many television contracts what audience qualified as meter-moving in this ever-splintering environment, and that source drew the cutline at four million.

Examining which games cracked the Four Million Club explains a lot about the Oklahoma/Texas move, and it also offers a potential explanation why those three leagues would want to work together. It also helps explain why the schools Oklahoma and Texas left behind are seemingly being left in the cold.

I didn’t include viewing data from the 2020 season because everything about 2020 was weird and I didn’t want to skew the data, so I charted every rated regular-season game involving at least one FBS team from 2015-19. I didn’t include conference championships or bowls, which fetch different prices. Those five seasons featured 1,593 rated telecasts* and dozens more on the ACC Network, Big Ten Network, Pac-12 Network and SEC Network, which weren’t measured for audience size.

Of those, 198 telecasts made it into the Four Million Club. The audience size ranges from massive (16,841,000 for the 2016 Michigan-Ohio State game) to just above the cutline (4,010,000 for the 2015 Louisville-Auburn game). And the conference distribution of the games is quite telling.

* All of this data is publicly available at the indispensable Sports Media Watch, where Jon Lewis combs through industry publications and compiles ratings on a weekly basis for a variety of sports.

Setting aside the five split “reverse mirror” telecasts where two games were simultaneously sent to different portions of the country on ABC and the other game was available to each section on ESPN2, here is how the 193 single-game telecasts broke down…

58 games between either independents or teams from different conferences (including all five Army-Navy games played during that period)

55 SEC-only games

49 Big Ten-only games

13 ACC-only games

12 Big 12-only games

Five Pac-12-only games

One American Athletic Conference-only game (2017 South Florida at UCF)

The conference difference is stark. But before we show you how it’s about to get even more dramatic, let’s examine how individual teams fared. These 13 schools made at least 10 appearances in Four Million Club games from 2015-19.

Most games in the Four Million Club

TEAM APPEARANCES
team-logo-192-50x50.pngMichigan
team-logo-267-50x50.pngLSU

That list is heavy on the SEC and Big Ten and light on everyone else. So why would the Big Ten want to help the ACC and the Pac-12 when the Big Ten’s ability to generate those audiences gives it a competitive advantage?

Because the SEC is about to generate a lot more of those games. And by creating a few more with the help of some friends, the Big Ten could stay relatively even and continue to distribute as much or more to each school as the SEC will once Oklahoma and Texas join and a new ESPN deal replaces the below-market deal CBS enjoys for the best SEC game each week.

By adding Oklahoma and Texas and doing nothing else, the SEC would create more Four Million Club games. Three of the five editions of the Red River Rivalry between 2015-19 cracked the club, and conference games between Oklahoma and Texas and Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M would be likely candidates to make the club**.

This also could help Texas, which has not been the kind of draw it was during the Mack Brown era. Texas was only involved in eight Four Million Club games from 2015-19. That’s fewer than Oklahoma and five current SEC members (including rival Texas A&M) during the same span. Texas could use the boost, which is probably a big reason why the Longhorns sought new conference membership.

But in addition to adding the new members, the SEC also is likely to add a ninth conference game when Oklahoma and Texas join. That will create more frequent matchups between Auburn and Florida, Alabama and Florida, Georgia and LSU and Georgia and Texas A&M. Those matchups also are strong contenders to draw four million or more viewers.

**As Stewart Mandel has pointed out, one natural byproduct of conference-only schedules in 2020 is that viewers and season-ticket buyers don’t want to go back to the days of fluffy nonconference schedules. After they got a season of all-killer, no filler — however weird it might have been because of the pandemic — they want more of that.

Former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany knew that creating an environment that put his league’s premium brands together more frequently would create more games that would allow his league to charge networks more for. In late 2012, the Big Ten and Pac-12 canceled a previously agreed-upon scheduling alliance after several Pac-12 schools had issues scheduling games. Instead, the Big Ten opted to move the league to a nine-conference game schedule starting in 2017. Not coincidentally, this is when the Big Ten’s most recent contracts with Fox and ESPN kicked in.

The biggest stroke of genius from Delany was making those deals last only six years. They end after next football season, meaning the Big Ten gets another bite at the apple before the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC. With suddenly SEC-less CBS and a curious NBC also sniffing around, the Big Ten’s rights could fetch a huge premium, especially if the league can guarantee even more Four Million Club games.

Rather than increase the number of conference games again (which could lead to some staleness), the Big Ten could work to ensure interesting games get scheduled with an alliance. If that alliance is with the ACC and Pac-12, it’s not difficult to imagine home-and-home series such as Clemson-Michigan, USC-Wisconsin, Oregon-Penn State, UCLA-Ohio State and Virginia Tech-Nebraska. These could replace one bodybag game a year, helping to juice season-ticket sales and create more valuable television inventory.

Such matchups provide more Four Million Club members for the Big Ten when they’re played at Big Ten sites and more for the ACC and Pac-12 — which need them even more — when played on those schools’ campuses. Week 2 of this season should be an excellent test for this theory. Washington visits Michigan and Oregon visits Ohio State in what were supposed to be home-and-home return games, but the meetings in the Pacific Northwest were wiped out by the pandemic. Those games should do excellent numbers.

The Pac-12 needs these matchups the most, because it struggles to generate that kind of buzz on its own. Despite having deals with Fox and ESPN/ABC, the kind of blowtorches that allow for these audience sizes, there were almost as many Four Million Club games involving Notre Dame playing Pac-12 schools (four) as there were league games that drew that kind of interest.

But all of those Notre Dame games (two against USC and two against Stanford) drew larger audiences than the five conference games that made the club. The biggest audience for a Pac-12 conference game from 2015-19 was 4,301,000 on Fox for USC’s win at Washington on Nov. 12, 2016. That was the only loss Playoff-bound Washington suffered during the regular season, so it generated buzz. But that game didn’t even win its own time slot that night. That honor went to Iowa’s 14-13 upset of Michigan, which drew 6,442,000 viewers on ABC.

Most watched games (2015-19)
REGULAR-SEASON MATCHUP NETWORK VIEWERS
2016 Michigan-Ohio State
ABC
16.841M
2019 LSU-Alabama
CBS
16.64M
2017 Alabama-Auburn
CBS
13.657M
2018 Michigan-Ohio State
Fox
13.345M
2017 Alabama-Florida State
ABC
12.557M
2019 Ohio State-Michigan
Fox
12.42M
2018 Alabama-LSU
CBS
11.543M
2019 Alabama-Auburn
CBS
11.43M
2015 LSU-Alabama
CBS
11.063M
2015 Michigan State-Ohio State
ABC
11.052M
2016 Notre Dame-Texas
ABC
10.945M
2015 Ohio State-Michigan
ABC
10.830M
2015 Ohio State-Virginia Tech
ESPN
10.585M
2017 Ohio State-Michigan
Fox
10.507M
2016 Alabama-LSU
CBS
10.385M

The ACC could use the boost as well. The league’s deal with Notre Dame — five Notre Dame vs. ACC football games a season plus full Fighting Irish-ACC membership for other sports — certainly paid dividends. That deal created an average of one Four Million Club game a year on an ACC campus thanks to a contractually mandated visit from Notre Dame. Still, the gap between the ACC and the Big Ten and SEC remains huge, and the ACC’s contract with ESPN runs through 2036. Anything that could create better inventory and potentially allow for a boost to that deal would be welcome.

The league we haven’t yet discussed is the Big 12, which could wind up on the outside looking in if the other three decide to align together. Taking away Oklahoma and Texas reduces the number of Four Million Club games involving only remaining Big 12 members to two (2015 Baylor-Oklahoma State and 2015 Baylor-TCU). A collection of teams that can’t generate premium audiences will not fetch a premium television rights deal. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby has met with Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff to discuss potential options, but as you’ve read above, the Pac-12 needs plenty of help itself and might not be in a position to help a league in even more dire straits.

The SEC has made its move, and now everyone else is trying to formulate a response. The best kind? The one that lands as much of each league’s TV inventory in the Four Million Club as possible.

5 hours ago, 83Horn said:

Mr. Bowlsby,

He would be lying if he asked either Texas or ou if they were leaving or listening to offers, he doesn't have the foresight for those types of questions.  I believe the quote to be real and what Bowlsby is referring to is Texas and ou being on conference calls, going along with things. In his world, which oddly enough is college athletics,  a world of lies and backstabbing,  he thinks Texas should have fessed up and bowed out of any big xii discussions. I bet he had other universities in conference asking him to keep an eye on Texas and ou and he shrugged them off. Now he's playing the victim card

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I’m pretty disappointed in our coaches and admin if this is true.  Siap

image.thumb.png.e31a54ebba8b43a1402a45e8f49f7898.png

If I am a UT lawyer, I am looking at the B12 bylaws with a microscope for clauses regarding B12 officials disparaging or soiling the reputation of a conference member as grounds for termination.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

If I am a UT lawyer, I am looking at the B12 bylaws with a microscope for clauses regarding B12 officials disparaging or soiling the reputation of a conference member as grounds for termination.  

If I am a UT lawyer, I am also looking to make Bob Bowlsby soil himself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Dewey said:

He would be lying if he asked either Texas or ou if they were leaving or listening to offers, he doesn't have the foresight for those types of questions.  I believe the quote to be real and what Bowlsby is referring to is Texas and ou being on conference calls, going along with things. In his world, which oddly enough is college athletics,  a world of lies and backstabbing,  he thinks Texas should have fessed up and bowed out of any big xii discussions. I bet he had other universities in conference asking him to keep an eye on Texas and ou and he shrugged them off. Now he's playing the victim card

ESPN and FOX declining to extend the Big 12's media rights during their most recent "exclusive negotiating window" should've been his first clue. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So don’t feel Like searching so who knows the answer to this.

Texas and ou have been formally invited to the sec so what’s the hold up on paying the buyout or making this our official last year in the big 12? Are they waiting to avoid a year of shit from other fanbases or what’s the deal.

Probably negotiating a settlement amount.  But the irate8 is irate. 

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Texas and ou have been formally invited to the sec so what’s the hold up on paying the buyout or making this our official last year in the big 12? Are they waiting to avoid a year of shit from other fanbases or what’s the deal.

Do you honestly believe if Texas and OU drop $170 mil today on the Big 12 media buyout that other fanbases will quit talking shit?

Fuck them.

TCU, Tech, Okie Lite, Baylor and K State all have nearly identical media value. At best, there are four spots in other major conferences for those five schools.

Go watch "Death of a Salesman." Willie Loman is who is bitching about Charley and Bernard responding to the changing economics of college athletics. Well, Willie, and Biff, and Happy.

This is nothing more than a tale of those who got left behind in the shifting sands of time. Let them bitch. It's the dying gasps of their college athletics dreams.

Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't figure out how to post directly to the story...OLDS!...story number 3 in the link. It's all about sports and CFB is a strong number 2 with no quadrennial events.

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sports-538a592f-d641-40e7-9cab-0b2245d70f3b.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiossports&stream=top

3. Chart du jour: America loves football

Data: Sports Business Journal; Chart: Axios Visuals
22 of the 25 most-watched TV broadcasts this year have been sporting events — and 18 were football games.

The big picture: Last year was the first time no scripted TV shows made the top 100 most-watched list, and awards shows could be next to fall off.d7108d6b2186d2bb49d2bc17305e8e94.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Do you honestly believe if Texas and OU drop $170 mil today on the Big 12 media buyout that other fanbases will quit talking shit?

Fuck them.

TCU, Tech, Okie Lite, Baylor and K State all have nearly identical media value. At best, there are four spots in other major conferences for those five schools.

Go watch "Death of a Salesman." Willie Loman is who is bitching about Charley and Bernard responding to the changing economics of college athletics. Well, Willie, and Biff, and Happy.

This is nothing more than a tale of those who got left behind in the shifting sands of time. Let them bitch. It's the dying gasps of their college athletics dreams.

Fuck them.

Well, you're way wrong about the left behind being "equal" in value. We double the ratings of most of those other programs and are the clearly above the rest. Also, didn't you swear for years and years and years that Texas would never ever ever join the SEC because it was too "aggy" for the great University of Texas? Looks like you're ready to brand yourself with the SEC logo all of a sudden. Go back to aggy bashing, it's what you're good at, especially now that you're conference mates in the sec sec sec.

664761_Big12RatingsChart.png.02472c59216bb17c31f35625227f92c0.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well, you're way wrong about the left behind being "equal" in value. We double the ratings of most of those other programs and are the clearly above the rest. Also, didn't you swear for years and years and years that Texas would never ever ever join the SEC because it was too "aggy" for the great University of Texas? Looks like you're ready to brand yourself with the SEC logo all of a sudden. Go back to aggy bashing, it's what you're good at, especially now that you're conference mates in the sec sec sec.

Don't engage with that mentally degenerative piece of shit. The number of things he's been wrong about regarding everything from UT to general shit like "what clouds are" is astounding. He's Milton from Office Space with a microfiche instead of a stapler.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

First of all, my comments on Texas moving to the SEC were heavily focused on the reaction of the faculty. Telling the UT faculty that the Land Grant farm schools are their peers and that UT faculty will collaborate with those other schools on academic issues is laughable. There is a reason the Land Grant farm schools of the SEC have failed to deliver the intellectual capital necessary for the SEC states to create any semblance of economic growth in that region. There is also a reason the area surrounding Austin has long had the intellectual capital necessary to drive the Texas economy through the technological revolution of the past 40 years.

As for the media rights of the five schools I mentioned, none of them are significantly higher than any other the others. None of them are national brands of any value. I mentioned nothing about the value of UT's media rights relative to any of those five schools. I'm not following your comment of Texas' media rights doubling the value of those other schools. Had I said anything about UT's rights values, I probably would have said they are about four times that of the "abandoned five."

And no, I am not ready to embrace the SEC. I am not a fan of it, but I wasn't asked to make the call. Hartzell, Eltife and CDC are running the show, and I defer to their judgement. That doesn't mean I am in any way looking forward to having a bunch of inbred smoothbores from that hotbed of generational poverty known as the SEC running around Austin during home football games. Nor will I be heading to the shitholes of that part of the world to watch UT play.

It's a business decision. That's all it is. I don't see them as friends, peers or equals. And Hell will freeze before I "brand myself with the SEC logo."

Thanks for playing. Try to pay more attention next time.

Have a nice day.

• Fuck You 2

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't engage with that mentally degenerative piece of shit. The number of things he's been wrong about regarding everything from UT to general shit like "what clouds are" is astounding. He's Milton from Office Space with a microfiche instead of a stapler.  

When people fabricate "comments," farcically attribute them to me, then use them as examples of how I am somehow "wrong" I laugh.

HA! HA! HA! HA!

(see what I just did there?)

Yes dumbshit, we all see what you did there.

brad-pitt-12monkeys.gif

But since humor is an alien concept to you, we can stick to the things you have said:

1.) The location and opening of the Hall of Fame in the North Endzone.
2.) Texas joining the SEC
3.) Your belief that the salaries of coaches are paid for by the Athletic Department. 

Just a few, for starters 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

There's always a chance the B12 disintegrates before a buyout is needed.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes dumbshit, we all see what you did there.

brad-pitt-12monkeys.gif

But since humor is an alien concept to you, we can stick to the things you have said:

1.) The location and opening of the Hall of Fame in the North Endzone.
2.) Texas joining the SEC
3.) Your belief that the salaries of coaches are paid for by the Athletic Department. 

Just a few, for starters 

Who are you talking to?

1 minute ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

The Deep South has issues, but the lack of PhD’s ain’t one of them. 

Well, I'm pretty sure dissertations on the eradication of the boll weavil have only limited impact on the poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, excessive tobacco consumption, opioid addictions, and antisocial attitudes that run rampant there.

39 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

First of all, my comments on Texas moving to the SEC were heavily focused on the reaction of the faculty. Telling the UT faculty that the Land Grant farm schools are their peers and that UT faculty will collaborate with those other schools on academic issues is laughable. There is a reason the Land Grant farm schools of the SEC have failed to deliver the intellectual capital necessary for the SEC states to create any semblance of economic growth in that region. There is also a reason the area surrounding Austin has long had the intellectual capital necessary to drive the Texas economy through the technological revolution of the past 40 years.

As for the media rights of the five schools I mentioned, none of them are significantly higher than any other the others. None of them are national brands of any value. I mentioned nothing about the value of UT's media rights relative to any of those five schools. I'm not following your comment of Texas' media rights doubling the value of those other schools. Had I said anything about UT's rights values, I probably would have said they are about four times that of the "abandoned five."

And no, I am not ready to embrace the SEC. I am not a fan of it, but I wasn't asked to make the call. Hartzell, Eltife and CDC are running the show, and I defer to their judgement. That doesn't mean I am in any way looking forward to having a bunch of inbred smoothbores from that hotbed of generational poverty known as the SEC running around Austin during home football games. Nor will I be heading to the shitholes of that part of the world to watch UT play.

It's a business decision. That's all it is. I don't see them as friends, peers or equals. And Hell will freeze before I "brand myself with the SEC logo."

Thanks for playing. Try to pay more attention next time.

Have a nice day.

I'm gonna regret this, but how does the UT faculty feel about being associated with Tech and osu? Florida and Vandy would be two of the  top 3 academic schools in the Big 12.