Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

ACC has the right for Notre Dame to a conference first as part of their media deal. ACC would have to dissolve and that isn't happening. 

Also, Notre Dame gives up their ability to pick their schedule if they go to a conference. With an expanded playoff, they really don't have to join a conference. The TV partners aren't going to let Notre Dame be left out in some form. They get a special exemption. 

You got your edit in, good.  The exemption that ND was going to get was under the old, not approved 12-team playoff proposal.  All bets are off now.

The suggestion that TV partners won't allow a playoff without ND makes zero sense.  One of two things will happen:

1. ND stays independent and leaves their rights with NBC who has zero juice to tell the B1G and SEC anything about how to design the playoff, or,
  2. ND joins a conference and this is a non-issue, they make more money, and the TV partners make more as well because they'll get ND into better matchups as well as the playoff.

8 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

What choice will they have?  They're going to have to pay the piper eventually.  ND is currently making $20M per year, they'll make $80M-$100M per year in the B1G within two years - they'll have plenty of cash to negotiate a settlement.

There is no way forward for independence at this point, they will either have to join the B1G or the SEC.  Do they fit better with USC/UCLA/Michigan/Northwestern or Alabama/Florida/Georgia/Auburn?  That's the only question that matters at this point.

It all depends on who wins the Big 10 rights. If it's just Fox then ESPN is going to hold firmly to all the existing deals they have. If Fox and ESPN both split it then maybe ESPN decides to let the ACC fall apart. But for all we know Amazon or Apple could come in and say to Notre Dame that they will give them 50 million a year. That's the thing, we're all popping off like we know something. We don't know shit. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Really needs to be a major restructure.  Where teams like Maryland, Vanderbilt, Miss State, and Rutgers aren't in the top two conferences.

Best way would be to have superconferences for football and men's basketball.  And all other sports in regional conferences.

I kinda disagree. Having the non-traditional schools in the conferences is part of the fun of college sports. College football is pretty much just becoming a minor league sport with nothing special/unique about it.

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It was found months ago, when ESPN acquired the rights to handle all of Oklahoma's Tier 3 content.

The holdup has been the new B12 commissioner getting into place so buyout negotiations can take place. Now that JayZs Money Launderer is onboard, I am sure we can have mutually beneficial conversations including booking out DKR for a concert. 

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

So then, once again the B12 either made a mistake by back filling now that other Pac12 schools will be available or the B12 is now screwed because the Texas schools are all about to bail

While you can make the case of that with the AAC schools, BYU was

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Seems like Stanford would be a better pick for the Big 10 than USC

While you can say that academically, USC Football makes them a better athletic brand altogether then Stanford.  

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

B12 should've been patient

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. Big 12 should have waited. Another data point on why the pants pisser conference sucks. 

They did good by adding BYU, the others you could make an argument about.  

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, it may still happen but there would have been much better Pac 12 options than the teams they added. 

BYU was as good an add as many of those Pac 12 schools would have been.  

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I would hope UCF, WVU, and Cincy are left out, geography would be fucked. Leave BU out too because rape is bad, and BYU because fuck them too.

Why because they are a bigger brand then OSU and bring more value as an Athletic Dept?

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Poor leadership drove off the Big 12's revenue producers and now their desire to backfill to the extent they did may be what finally kills them.

See my post above.  I think the Big 12 will be just fine as the #3 Conference assuming that the SEC and B1G don't just break off.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Easier for the remaining P12 teams to kill off the B12 imo

Big 12 has the leverage at the moment and given that their TV deal will likely trump a USC/UCLA-less Pac 12 TV deal, I think the Big 12 will be the one with the leverage over poaching the Pac 12 teams and not the other way around.  

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

The 6 schools I listed going to the P12 makes more money than adding a few schools from the P12 to the bastardized B12.

If I'm a bigger name brand in the B12 I'd much rather be associated with the schools in the west than who the B12 added.

BYU is one of the biggest brands out west.  

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Who are the "bigger name brands" worth poaching in the Big 12?

KU, OSU, and Tech?

KU, BYU, Tech or OSU?  Maybe Baylor given their recent success?  

37 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

he Big 12 made a huge mistake by panicking and adding the teams they did. Because no matter what was coming out of the B10, they were going to counter the SEC/UT+OU by poaching the PAC, so if the BIG 12 had held off a bit, I had a feeling they would've been in the perfect position to pick up some quality teams to replace their losses.

BYU IS a quality program.  

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And do what with it?

Half of the programs in the new Big 10 and SEC will be sub .500 and patting themselves on the back for being in that club.

The tens of millions of fans of the 40ish current P5 programs that aren’t part of this club aren’t going to suddenly give a shit and become fans of schools in the Big 10 and SEC.

They'll lose interest in the sport altogether.   Them breaking away and forming an NFL-Lite would be very short-sighted in the long run.  

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That is already happening I believe. This is good for the elite schools but is a big blow to the popularity of the sport nationwide.

This.  You'll see a massive drop in interest in CFB if it becomes NFL-Lite.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You have to like the fact USC basically just ruined any chance at the playoff, in it's current form.  There's no way in hell they're taking that travel schedule on and not losing more than 1 game every regular season.  If we get to 8 teams great, OU will get in enough times and have their shot at those pussies.  

I am not sure you have been paying attention to what has been happening in Norman. I foresee a long painful slide into a better than average program in your future like we just went through. 

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

the Big 12 made a huge mistake by panicking and adding the teams they did.

Yeah I think there are some people in the Big XII office with their heads in their hands right now. And you've got to be wondering if Tech and OSU might now be looking west yet again....

3 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Oregon will bail with UW in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Maybe the B1G's in a hurry to get to 20?

Can B1G kick out members? Sorry Rutgers you are not fully vested. Then take Oregon and to me UW and Maryland are a push but could they kick out Maryland too.

4 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Yeah I think there are some people in the Big XII office with their heads in their hands right now. And you've got to be wondering if Tech and OSU might now be looking west yet again....

Yeah, they should have totally anticipated this move that literally no one across the country expected.

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am not sure you have been paying attention to what has been happening in Norman. I foresee a long painful slide into a better than average program in your future like we just went through. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34157131/big-12-college-football-preview-part-2-burning-questions-projections-conference-top-teams

‘Almost no team in college football has been as consistently awesome as the Oklahoma Sooners. Over the past 85 seasons, they have finished in the AP top 10 45 times with shares of 47 conference titles and just six losing records. They've made basically two bad hires (Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake) since World War II.’

You’ll have to excuse OU fans for not worrying.  Could it happen?  Sure.  The odds?  Yeah, I like OU’s chances.  

7 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Tech and OSU geographically would be a great addition to the B1G, but they dont have the academic profile to truly be in consideration there as neither are AAU schools. The P12 had the same issues with those schools in expansion in the first wave. If the B1G drops that requirement, they should be sawing each others balls off to be the first in the room at the B1G offices. 

Edited by Vertigo

10 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Viewership numbers suggest differently.

In what way? Last January's title game had pretty low viewership. The title game in 2015 had ten million more viewers and the 2006 Rose Bowl also had significantly more. And Georgia and Bama are two of the biggest brands around and are SECSECSEC so hardly a dud matchup. Explain how the viewership numbers are showing an increase in popularity on a nationwide basis, because what I see is the clear opposite trajectory.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, ouflak said:

I think the BXII can poach Utah and at least one of the AZ schools and start looking at the soon to be ACC scrap heap as well.  Or get both AZ schools, Utah, and CO or another (maybe San Diego St).    That would be a really solid football/basketball/baseball conference.   

Four 24 team conferences, each has three divisions of 8 who play their 7 division opponents.. Everyone gets 2 games to schedule as they wish but playing the little sisters of the poor counts against you when it comes to the 4th team making it to make the playoff. Three division winners and the wild card go to a 16 team playoff for all the marbles. 

Final two teams only play 13 games.

But I've been drinking, so...

Edited by Deej

Question for Texas fans - knowing that the B1G can probably now take their pick of the remaining PAC schools, would you prefer a B1G with USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington or the SEC?  Not saying this is in the cards or anything, but reset the board and assume you hadn't announced your intent to join the SEC - would you prefer the SEC or 20 School B1G + USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington (and OU/UT)?

3 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

Question for Texas fans - knowing that the B1G can probably now take their pick of the remaining PAC schools, would you prefer a B1G with USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington or the SEC?  Not saying this is in the cards or anything, but reset the board and assume you hadn't announced your intent to join the SEC - would you prefer the SEC or 20 School B1G + USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington (and OU/UT)?

Big 20 no doubt for me. 

23 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Pretty soon, it'll be a two team conference with Baylor and KSU collecting buyouts.

4 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

I sort of wanted some geographical continuity but don't matter at this point.

5 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

SEC. It's geographically contiguous and home to our second and third traditional rivals.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

I think the fans wouldn't mind that Big 10. But recruits prefer the SEC and those big night games over 11a kicks with Beth Mowins

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

SEC

I was never interested in joining the Rust Belt or Left Coast leagues. Easier travel, big & passionate fan bases. Better BBQ

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

So if both conferences are at 16 now and eventually go to 20, Big Ten could add Washington, Oregon, UVA, Notre Dame and the SEC could add FSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke...

Really! That source it so insightful! I have news for you posters here are already talking about two super conferences with 24 a piece.

56 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You have to like the fact USC basically just ruined any chance at the playoff, in it's current form.  There's no way in hell they're taking that travel schedule on and not losing more than 1 game every regular season.  If we get to 8 teams great, OU will get in enough times and have their shot at those pussies.  

I guarantee you this isn’t what Lincoln signed up for

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

Culturally we (UT) are probably a better fit in the B1G, but all things considered I think the SEC is still the best place for UT/OU. Our affiliation with ESPN, the geography, all of our historical rivals are in the SEC now, and I think the fans want to be in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Vertigo said:

Culturally we (UT) are probably a better fit in the B1G, but all things considered I think the SEC is still the best place for UT/OU. Our affiliation with ESPN, the geography, all of our historical rivals are in the SEC now, and I think the fans want to be in the SEC. 

Pretty much. I would’ve been ok in anywhere but the big 12.  Pac would’ve been fine with us and Oklahoma imo