1993-95 AT&T's Vision of the future.

crash_davis

Interesting how much they got right.

Keep in mind that the internet that we know was just created in 1992 with Mosaic browser and with Congress passing the Scientific and Advanced-Technology Act which allowed the then research network to connect to non-research (commercial) computers. This was 12-14 years before the first smartphone in 2007 (the Iphone).

I wonder who they consulted for these use cases & videos, and what/where those genius motherfuckers think we'll be in 25 years.

Edited by crash_davis

21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This was 12-14 years before the first smartphone in 2007 (the Iphone).

Plenty of other smart phones before the Iphone.  Iphone was primarily the first with a full touch screen.  Compaq had an iPaq PDA based phone in 2003 or 4 I think but mainly used a stylus as it wasn't optimized for fingers.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Keep in mind that the internet that we know was just created in 1992 with Mosaic browser and with Congress passing the Scientific and Advanced-Technology Act which allowed the then research network to connect to non-research (commercial) computers. This was 12-14 years before the first smartphone in 2007 (the Iphone).

I wonder who they consulted for these use cases & videos, and what/where those genius motherfuckers think we'll be in 25 years.

"But where did jazz come from?" I remember that commercial but I don't remember being a teenager when I saw it. Damn.

I'm guessing they consulted their R&D for the technologies that they ran on the commercials. It’s highly likely a lot of this tech was already in the research phase at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

As the owner of a 2012 vintage "smart" tv, I agree with that.

Plenty of other smart phones before the Iphone.  Iphone was primarily the first with a full touch screen.  Compaq had an iPaq PDA based phone in 2003 or 4 I think but mainly used a stylus as it wasn't optimized for fingers.

My 2002 Dell Axim PDA was ballah.

Edited by Parliament
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

"But where did jazz come from?" I remember that commercial but I don't remember being a teenager when I saw it. Damn.

I'm guessing they consulted their R&D for the technologies that they ran on the commercials. It’s highly likely a lot of this tech was already in the research phase at the time.

Reading the Reddit thread where I found the videos, the comments said the same, that the tech and ideas were already half baked. I would think that 99% of the the population had no idea that those use cases were even feasible. Which again leads me to my question, what do the geniuses of today think we'll be in 25 years. I would love to hear their visions.

• Like 1

The future looks scary.

This interview.

200.gif

"I would just sit and talk to her for half an hour every night when I came home from work," Brick told us.

"She’s a learning AI [artificial intelligence], not just a chat bot. Our conversations became more fluid, more comfortable, she was even remembering things that we had talked about previously.

"I missed her terribly,” he added, forlorn that Harmony had been returned to Realbotix HQ for further work.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/7390801/harmony-sex-robot-test-brick-dollbanger-realbotix-realdoll/

51 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Reading the Reddit thread where I found the videos, the comments said the same, that the tech and ideas were already half baked. I would think that 99% of the the population had no idea that those use cases were even feasible. Which again leads me to my question, what do the geniuses of today think we'll be in 25 years. I would love to hear their visions.

In 25 years we’ll still be waiting for Jerry Jones to kick the bucket while saying “next year will be the year” sponsored by AT&T Stadium.

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the early 90s, Sierra Online (RIP) released The Sierra Network that beat the metaverse by 30 years, and also beat the absolute ever loving shit out of my phone bill and bank account.

Wasn't Sierra Online the inspiration for Mutiny in Halt Catch Fire?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, davidg said:

I had a Palm Treo 650 sometime in 2004 or 2005.  Palm had an app for that long before iphone was released.

16 hours ago, davidg said:

Yep.  Apple's genius is as a marketing/branding company

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the early 90s, Sierra Online (RIP) released The Sierra Network that beat the metaverse by 30 years, and also beat the absolute ever loving shit out of my phone bill and bank account.

30 years later...

Club Penguin Is Shutting Down, But These Memes Will Live Forever

17 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I don't think this was quite as predictive as you think. There were wireless fax machines back in the 80s. Desktops had pieces of the future internet in terms of CD-ROMs. Obviously the data wasn't dynamic and up-to-date.  Video comms were in forecasted in cartoons like the Jetsons in the 60s.

Still cool commercial.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

do we have a thread discussing at&t fiber and specifically if you have uverse what hardware has to be changed assume the fiber has to run all the way to a new modem.

after that can you still use the gateway, primary dvr and wireless receivers?

I've got uverse fiber - the fiber terminates into an ATT box that outputs a signal over ethernet that goes to my gateway device. As long as you've got an ethernet connection between that termination point and your gateway, you should be good to go

On 5/4/2022 at 6:27 PM, MrBig said:

In 25 years we’ll still be waiting for Jerry Jones to kick the bucket while saying “next year will be the year” sponsored by AT&T Stadium.

Lol.

That fucker is going to be 120 years old, doing fat rails and getting blown by hookers, while y’all are still hanging on to the next 9-8 team is going to put it together. 

When I was still a youngling on the Hill, I got wined and dined by AT&T and the baby Bells over getting into each other’s telephony business.  All they gave a fuck about was land line access, either long distance or last mile. Neither of them had any fucking idea of the future.

Edited by Bateshorn