Greenville Super Regional: Texas @ East Carolina

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

I think Stevens was overrated coming into this season.  Just doesn't have that impressive of stuff.

I mean he was probably the best pitcher on a staff with Madden and Hansen last season. His stuff hasn’t been the problem, his command has

2021 | 2022 Ranking (Out of 293 D1 Teams):

ERA:  1  |  17

WHIP:  4  |  14

BB/9:  24  |   39

We lost 51% of Innings Pitched in 2021 (I'm including Witt).  That includes a 1st Round Friday night starter and your your two biggest inning eating pen arms in Quintanilla and Kukichek.  And Witt who was going to be our Sunday guy despite probably being the most talented arm on the staff.

Did you not expect regression?  Is this really that bad when considering how big of a jump offense has taken as a whole across college baseball this season?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

He's not walking many hitters though.  He gives up a lot of contact and this season hitters have made more productive use of that contact.

That’s because he isn’t locating his fastball or slider. He needs to be able to dance at the edges. Similar to Nixon he isn’t close on his misses so no one is chasing. Then he has to throw 90 mph fastballs in the zone

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

We lost 51% of Innings Pitched in 2021 (I'm including Witt).  That includes a 1st Round Friday night starter and your your two biggest inning eating pen arms in Quintanilla and Kukichek.  And Witt who was going to be our Sunday guy despite probably being the most talented arm on the staff.

Did you not expect regression?  Is this really that bad when considering how big of a jump offense has taken as a whole across college baseball this season?

It’s not about the overall regression. Obviously losing the arms we did was going to hurt. It’s about individual players imploding. And this isn’t the first time. It happened to Kubicheck last year too. I’m not saying it’s all on Allen but it’s happening too often on his watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Don't bring facts to a pissfight... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Does anyone know why Pierce doesn't have a video/analytics director on staff?  Almost all of the big programs have one of these guys now (Will Fox at A&M, Sean McCann at Tenn being a couple of examples) but looking at the UT site I don't see a similar position at Texas.  The closest analog I can find on our staff is Caleb Longley but it's not clear he's responsible for scouting/development using video/analytics as primary tools.

<csb> I was wearing a Texas baseball hat on Rainey and a kid came up who worked for the team in some analytics capacity and was going to work for the Tigers org after school.  It was earlier in year when Tristan was imploding and he said he thought Tristan was tipping his pitches <csb>

Based off that conversation and what I've heard about the tech they have in the new facility, I'm pretty sure we have a lot of this but I agree it's surprising that it's not more obvious who those people are.  

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm not going to wade through the whole history again, but in 2021...

Teams who won the 1st game of the Supers went to Omaha 75% of the time.

Teams who won the 2nd game of the Supers went to Omaha 75% of the time.

When you have a best-of-3 series, the team that wins *ANY* game has a very good chance to win the series. 

Yes, I know.  I was just remarking that the dudes calling the game mentioned it almost every inning.

30 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I mean he was probably the best pitcher on a staff with Madden and Hansen last season. His stuff hasn’t been the problem, his command has

I was about to say. Dude was as money as they come last year especially in the post season. Shut down Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I thought he was at 76 but if it's 88 you might have a few pitches in him.  we'll see.

I thought they had him at 88 when he left. Could have been a little less, but I still see him as being done for the weekend.

Shame if that is his last start, last time pitching for UT. He's definitely been a bright spot while here. 

20 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

<csb> I was wearing a Texas baseball hat on Rainey and a kid came up who worked for the team in some analytics capacity and was going to work for the Tigers org after school.  It was earlier in year when Tristan was imploding and he said he thought Tristan was tipping his pitches <csb>

Based off that conversation and what I've heard about the tech they have in the new facility, I'm pretty sure we have a lot of this but I agree it's surprising that it's not more obvious who those people are.  

I'm sure the equipment is there.  They've had Trackman installed for years and now have that new pitching lab.  Need the people though and a coach willing to utilize them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Starfleet Command said:

I'm sure the equipment is there.  They've had Trackman installed for years and now have that new pitching lab.  Need the people though and a coach willing to utilize them.  

Do we have any reason beyond not knowing who their analytics guy is to assume we aren't utilizing them?

Texas hitters early in the game today  acted like little league players in their 1st post season game...  9 strikeouts in 5 innings for Texas hitters.  Against that Ecu pitcher that was BULLSHIT hitting performance.

For whatever reason Texas wasn't ready to play today.  Our pitching sucked at times, fielding sucked at times, and the Texas hitting approach in the 1st 5 innings really SUCKED.

Total team loss -- flush it and win the next two games !!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

He's not walking many hitters though.  He gives up a lot of contact and this season hitters have made more productive use of that contact.

Yeah and pitching to contact is a great idea with our defense.

But he was going against pretty elite dudes and getting outs last year so I can't imagine the hitters are just that much better. Surely it has to be him somehow.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

IMO he pulled Pete early to save him some pitches for game 3 if we get there.  there aren't any solid options in the pen really and this bandbox park isn't really good for Stevens.  I don't necessarily disagree with what he did.

Yeah, my sense was not that it was complete capitulation, but rather acknowledgement that a game 3 was highly likely and a need to conserve arms by throwing short stints.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Fixed that for Surly. What was once one of the best features of this community became its worst with a bunch of one liner dipshits trying to one-up each other on hyperbole and stupid takes. No relevant analysis, insight, or even a basic, coherent opinion on any game.

Hi

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

agreed. and yes that would be nice.  get up 10 runs in game 3 and plunk about 3 guys in the ribs in a row.

We've got a bunch of guys that can do that unintentionally.  I fear if we had our pitchers bean the batter, they'd throw a strike.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas hitters early in the game today  acted like little league players in their 1st post season game...  9 strikeouts in 5 innings for Texas hitters.  Against that Ecu pitcher that was BULLSHIT hitting performance.

For whatever reason Texas wasn't ready to play today.  Our pitching sucked at times, fielding sucked at times, and the Texas hitting approach in the 1st 5 innings really SUCKED.

Total team loss -- flush it and win the next two games !!!

But can they? They were rattled by the crowd and were intimidated. And we were HoDo’ed

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Thought we’d be in trouble the moment I realized most of the ECU fanbase drove their houses to the game. Reminded me of LSU in ‘09.

LSU fans bombard Omaha every year whether their team is in it or not. they're obviously going to be in the building when they're in the championship series. regardless, their fans had nothing to do with us losing in 2009. 

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

LSU fans bombard Omaha every year whether their team is in it or not. they're obviously going to be in the building when they're in the championship series. regardless, their fans had nothing to do with us losing in 2009. 

The '96 Yankees would have fucked ECU up on Friday. And LSU in '09. Not sure what is wrong with this Horns team. 

Certainly, disappointed in yesterdays outcome.  I did not think we'd stomp a mudhole in 'em however, I did expect a W.  I feel like we performed as we have all year.  Not bad, not great but kinda so-so.  To ECU's benefit, they are really hungry for one last road trip in 2022.  Game strategy is certainly simplified now just win 'em the next two.

TEXAS!

18 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s not about the overall regression. Obviously losing the arms we did was going to hurt. It’s about individual players imploding. And this isn’t the first time. It happened to Kubicheck last year too. I’m not saying it’s all on Allen but it’s happening too often on his watch.

Yeah our pitching under Pierce/Allen has not been a model of consistency.

12 hours ago, texastroubadour said:

But can they? They were rattled by the crowd and were intimidated. And we were HoDo’ed

There was some mumbling about Mayhue typically relying on a changeup, but instead relying on fastballs.  The hitters weren't ready for that, apparently.  Something of a scouting failure, it seems.