2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

There is a difference between saying our defense is going to suck forever and looking at this roster and reasonably expecting us to suck balls again in 2022.

This was our defense last year:

• Points per Play - 93rd
  • Yards per Play - 100th
  • Turnovers per Game - 99th
  • 3rd Down Conversion% - 94th
  • Red Zone Scoring % - 93rd
  • Punts per Play - 85th

That wasn't a young unit being thrown into the fire.  65% of defensive snaps were taken by 4th+ year players.  

This won't be a brand new defense.  Returning players account for 72% of snaps from last season.  We have an incoming freshman class and the only two portal additions are a FCS LB and inexperienced 2nd year CB. 

Is it reasonable to expect marginal improvement due to a 2nd year in PK's system or GP being added to the mix?  Sure, maybe.   Addition by subtraction sending guys like Foster packing?  Maybe.   

I really don't think the lack of talent at LB can be overstated.  Tell me how you see that unit being materially better.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see DTB moving the needle.  Without getting significantly better at LB, I don't see the defense materially improving.   Hope I'm wrong.

Star Trek Bones GIF

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

There is a difference between saying our defense is going to suck forever and looking at this roster and reasonably expecting us to suck balls again in 2022.

• Points per Play - 93rd
  • Yards per Play - 100th
  • Punts per Play - 85th

That wasn't a young unit being thrown into the fire.  65% of defensive snaps were taken by 4th+ year players.  

This won't be a brand new defense.  Returning players account for 72% of snaps from last season.  We have an incoming freshman class and the only two portal additions are a FCS LB and inexperienced 2nd year CB. 

Is it reasonable to expect marginal improvement due to a 2nd year in PK's system or GP being added to the mix?  Sure, maybe.   Addition by subtraction sending guys like Foster packing?  Maybe.   

I really don't think the lack of talent at LB can be overstated.  Tell me how you see that unit being materially better.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see DTB moving the needle.  Without improvement here, I don't see the defense materially improving.   Hope I'm wrong.

Likewise - I don't think getting guys off the field that didn't give a shit can be overstated. I think DMO and Dshawn will play better. I think DTD will be at least a marginal improvement over Luke. Y'all can harp on him playing FCS all day long but that's a lazy qualifier. We didn't go grab him because he sucked at that level - he was a third team AA. 

I don't know what to expect at safety or up front. Here's hoping for the best. 

So call it a wash in terms of who's going to be taking the field (and I'd hope it isn't) I expect the effort and discipline to be better. That can go a loooong way. 

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

Omeire was out, again? Or is he just yet to practice at full speed? SIAP. 

52 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That isn't an abbreviation. It's a word. The parallel would be writing DEFENSIVE instead of  DE (or frequently just E when it's on a "whiteboard"). No one has ever done that.

It should just be E - that's consistent with other 1 letter abbreviations for positions, and there's no possibility of confusion, because the only other position on defense with an E in the abbreviation is defensive end, and that's effectively what edge is replacing anyway.

I would just like to thank you and @Huckleberry for exposing some soft underbelly that could be useful in the future. I will never not capitalize EDGE again, for starters. 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I really don't think the lack of talent at LB can be overstated.  Tell me how you see that unit being materially better.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see DTB moving the needle.  Without getting significantly better at LB, I don't see the defense materially improving.   Hope I'm wrong.

I don't really disagree with you, but the argument would be DTB and Jaylan Ford providing close to average P5 linebacker play would drastically improve the defense. 

We've talked about it ad nauseam on this board, but a lot of the issues with the linebackers stem from the abysmal defensive line. We absolutely do not have the talent in the LB room to cover for that level of play from the defensive line again this year.

12 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I mean this is absolutely absurd. You can’t see how DTD is an improvement over Luke Brockermeyer? He’s way, way better than Brock. You seem to be way too hung up on his HS recruiting ranking. And Ford was showing marked improvement at the end of last year and was our best ILB. It’s pretty easy to see how he will continue to improve this year going into year 3 and taking starter reps When combined with DTD, we’ll be much better at ILB than last year. Not good mind you, but much better than last year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

i will never understand Orlando's thought process with dropping Ossai. I understand Ossai was the best guy on the defensive side of the ball and he was needed everywhere, but at edge (happy huck?), he could instantly make the other 10 guys better and impact every single play in a way that dropping him never ever could. it was the worst positional deployment decision possibly of all time.

Would you prefer dropping him into coverage or not playing?

Cause as a frosh he did quite a bit of not playing.
  • Rage+1 1

If the defense somehow figures out a way to get a couple three and outs this year, or not give up first downs on third and long,  it could keep the defense a lot more fresh and confident. If that happened, we could possibly be looking at parlaying that into a top-75, maybe even top-60 defense.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean this is absolutely absurd. You can’t see how DTD is an improvement over Luke Brockermeyer? He’s way, way better than Brock. You seem to be way too hung up on his HS recruiting ranking. And Ford was showing marked improvement at the end of last year and was our best ILB. It’s pretty easy to see how he will continue to improve this year going into year 3 and taking starter reps When combined with DTD, we’ll be much better at ILB than last year. Not good mind you, but much better than last year. 

I'm not writing Ford off and would expect improvement there.  And I think Overshown bounces back.  But that's two guys.  You need 4-5 guys over the course of a season.

DTD didn't produce until his 4th season at an FCS program (I acknowledge JMU is a solid program).  His big season last year was in his 5th year on campus.  He is a guy who had to wait his turn on a roster of FCS talent.  To his credit, he seized the opportunity and produced.  But I'm sorry, I don't think it is absurd to question how that guys productivity translates when put in a brand new system, trading out FCS competition for Alabama, OU and other P5 rosters.  

7 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Klatt on Texas, references OSU game

spoilered for douche face

Reveal hidden contents

Play he references.

Nothing we didn't see all year, stupid calls led to bad positioning caused hilariously bad angles. 

LOL at Gbenda on this play (LB on the right). Runs the wrong direction, chases a TE across the formation when there is zero threat of a pass and the RB ran right through his gap.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Yes. We have Patterson. He will sweat the defense to excellence.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I'm not writing Ford off and would expect improvement there.  And I think Overshown bounces back.  But that's two guys.  You need 4-5 guys over the course of a season.

DTD didn't produce until his 4th season at an FCS program (I acknowledge JMU is a solid program).  His big season last year was in his 5th year on campus.  He is a guy who had to wait his turn on a roster of FCS talent.  To his credit, he seized the opportunity and produced.  But I'm sorry, I don't think it is absurd to question how that guys productivity translates when put in a brand new system, trading out FCS competition for Alabama, OU and other P5 rosters.  

What was absurd was saying you can’t see how we improve from last year.  Just playing Ford over Brock all year would immediately be an improvement. 

Jabril Cox went from FCS All-American to starter at LSU and was good enough to get drafted in Round 3. Guys can immediately produce, especially a guy who’s on his sixth year in college and has produced at a high level for two straight years. On top of that, DTD had a good amount of P5 offers, so it’s clear other coaches also felt he’d be ready to make an impact right away. Based on that alone, it would be pretty ridiculous to not expect him to be an improvement over one of the worst LBs in all of Division 1. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Everyone talking about star ratings and the talent level of the defense is completely overlooking what's probably the biggest issue and that's the multiple (at least 3) different agendas among the defensive coaching staff

*Coach K and Choate vs the Muschamp guys

*Patterson

*Bo Davis doing what he wants with the d linemen

You could be 01 Miami in terms of defensive talent but if the coaches arent pulling in the same direction you arent gonna stop anybody. This is the biggest challenge for Sarkisian imo to pull everything together. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Everyone talking about star ratings and the talent level of the defense is completely overlooking what's probably the biggest issue and that's the multiple (at least 3) different agendas among the defensive coaching staff

*Patterson

You could be 01 Miami in terms of defensive talent but if the coaches arent pulling in the same direction you arent gonna stop anybody. This is the biggest challenge for Sarkisian imo to pull everything together. 

Is this a thing or are you just making shit up?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

LOL at Gbenda on this play (LB on the right). Runs the wrong direction, chases a TE across the formation when there is zero threat of a pass and the RB ran right through his gap.

TE is pulling/wham on Split zone. Usually the big play is on the backside of the formation. Pretty amazing that both LBS are untouched and the RB is untouched through the hole. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I literally hate every one of you people who capitalize every letter in edge and hope you are afflicted with the world's worst ever foot cramp the next time you're sleeping. 

literally-park-and-rec.gif

Why didn't you capitalize SAFETIES?

Haha!  The jokes on you.  I wake up every night with the world’s worst foot crap.  It’s kinda my thing.  

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well the job was made a lot easier when Gbenda ran himself out of the play.

Even easier when Ford completely takes himself out of the play. DE/Gbenda end up in the same gap. Guessing that is on Ojomo the way he keeps hitting himself in the head as  he chases the ball carrier. 

Edited by Codaxx

A few defensive thoughts:

1) We have a better pure coverage secondary.  Notably an actual corner at nickel.  We seem to be focusing more on quarters/split field as well.  Both of these changes open up the safeties to be more aggressive against the run, which was sorely missing last year.

2) Collins, Ojomo, and Broughton slimmed down over the offseason.  This hopefully brings some sorely needed athleticism to the DL.

3) I'm not sold on DMO, but it is a valid point that injury and Covid have prevented him from getting meaningful practice at the position.  Ford started to come on last year, and I expect improved play from him.  DTD isn't worse than the alternatives.

4) I think we'll see some sub-package fronts that are better suited to our personnel (lack of edge players) this year.  I.E. the fabled Stack.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

That isn't an abbreviation. It's a word. The parallel would be writing DEFENSIVE instead of  DE (or frequently just E when it's on a "whiteboard"). No one has ever done that.

It should just be E - that's consistent with other 1 letter abbreviations for positions, and there's no possibility of confusion, because the only other position on defense with an E in the abbreviation is defensive end, and that's effectively what edge is replacing anyway.

Here We Go Again GIF

Where was this marked improvement from Ford when he played 50% more snaps than any other LBer in the WVU and KU games? You know our two shiftiest efforts all season. And two of the last 3 games. Our 3rd down defense was actually decent save those two games. Those two converted 62% of 3rd downs. Obviously that was a team effort, but he was on the field a lot. I guess he was a badass when KState averaged 6.5 yards per rush. If you take away those 2 3rd and 4th plays that we stopped, in which he had no impact on, they averaged 7.6 yards per rush.

Take away those two games and we allowed a 37% 3rd down conversion rate. And other than those two, we allowed a 27% conversion rate via the pass.

Thus far, he’s shown no ability to make big plays. His “biggest” plays were some easy 3rd down stops far short of the sticks and the gimme two pointer versus OSU when manned up on a swing pass. He did do a good job of not getting picked on that one. Obviously we lack big plays across the board, but he’s a big contributor to the lack thereof.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Where was this marked improvement from Ford when he played 50% more snaps than any other LBer in the WVU and KU games? You know our two shiftiest efforts all season. And two of the last 3 games. Our 3rd down defense was actually decent save those two games. Those two converted 62% of 3rd downs. Obviously that was a team effort, but he was on the field a lot. I guess he was a badass when KState averaged 6.5 yards per rush. If you take away those 2 3rd and 4th plays that we stopped, in which he had no impact on, they averaged 7.6 yards per rush.

Take away those two games and we allowed a 37% 3rd down conversion rate. And other than those two, we allowed a 27% conversion rate via the pass.

Thus far, he’s shown no ability to make big plays. His “biggest” plays were some easy 3rd down stops far short of the sticks and the gimme two pointer versus OSU when manned up on a swing pass. He did do a good job of not getting picked on that one. Obviously we lack big plays across the board, but he’s a big contributor to the lack thereof.

This is the biggest problem for the Texas defense. There is just nobody to scare an offense. Just no star power on defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What was absurd was saying you can’t see how we improve from last year.  Just playing Ford over Brock all year would immediately be an improvement. 

Jabril Cox went from FCS All-American to starter at LSU and was good enough to get drafted in Round 3. Guys can immediately produce, especially a guy who’s on his sixth year in college and has produced at a high level for two straight years. On top of that, DTD had a good amount of P5 offers, so it’s clear other coaches also felt he’d be ready to make an impact right away. Based on that alone, it would be pretty ridiculous to not expect him to be an improvement over one of the worst LBs in all of Division 1. 

Thank you for case study on Cox.  I don't think it's exactly apples-to-apples (his recruitment out of HS was derailed by an ACL injury, had to redshirt as he had been a QB in high school, but then produced immediately at his FCS school), but nonetheless it is a good example of an FCS guy stepping in and producing.  

"Without getting significantly better at LB, I don't see the defense materially improving"  is what I said and I stand by that.  I don't know if I see a "significantly improved" unit but I'm not an X's and O's genius so will come as no surprise if I'm wrong.  What I see:

• Ford was just okay last season.  I can see him improving but I do not see him as an all-conference talent. 
  • Overshown took a big step back last season-  a rebound is more likely than not.  
  • DTD - nobody knows.  I understand your expectation for material improvement over Brock but we will need to see it.  If he balls out, he will be my favorite player on defense.
  • You are going to have to get snaps out of guys who aren't your starters.  Who do we have after those 3?  Richardson, Brock, Gbenda, Bush.  And two freshmen who I wouldn't expect to contribute right away.  I do not feel great about that group providing relief or stepping in for meaningful playing time if one of the starters goes down.  While the top 3 names may seem like an improvement over last season, I still think our depth is suspect.

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Idk why you focus so much on 3rd down conversion rate and team performance when talking about a single player’s performance. 

And we’re not looking for big plays from our Mike linebacker, we’re asking for dependable and he was better at that than anyone else on the roster. I’m not saying he was good, just better than our other options and improving. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

Thank you for case study on Cox.  I don't think it's exactly apples-to-apples (his recruitment out of HS was derailed by an ACL injury, had to redshirt as he had been a QB in high school, but then produced immediately at his FCS school), but nonetheless it is a good example of an FCS guy stepping in and producing.  

"Without getting significantly better at LB, I don't see the defense materially improving"  is what I said and I stand by that.  I don't know if I see a "significantly improved" unit but I'm not an X's and O's genius so will come as no surprise if I'm wrong.  What I see:

• Ford was just okay last season.  I can see him improving but I do not see him as an all-conference talent. 
  • Overshown took a big step back last season-  a rebound is more likely than not.  
  • DTD - nobody knows.  I understand your expectation for material improvement over Brock but we will need to see it.  If he balls out, he will be my favorite player on defense.
  • You are going to have to get snaps out of guys who aren't your starters.  Who do we have after those 3?  Richardson, Brock, Gbenda, Bush.  And two freshmen who I wouldn't expect to contribute right away.  I do not feel great about that group providing relief or stepping in for meaningful playing time if one of the starters goes down.  While the top 3 names may seem like an improvement over last season, I still think our depth is suspect.

There is a chance the LBs are better. Just getting the defense on the same page will make people look better. If the edges improve (it will be hard not to improve)  the LBs will be better. Lots of big ass holes last year. When you have all 3 units playing poorly, they tend to have a shit multiplying effect. The sum of the parts was worse than the individual players. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

"Without getting significantly better at LB, I don't see the defense materially improving"  is what I said and I stand by that.  I don't know if I see a "significantly improved" unit but I'm not an X's and O's genius so will come as no surprise if I'm wrong. 

Don’t really agree with the first part. We can materially improve as a defense if we get marginally better at all 3 levels. It’s not all on the LBs and the DL being so bad last year contributed to poor LB play. But overall, I agree with you that I’m certainly not expecting a whole lot from the defense. 

That’s also not the part of your first post I was responding to:

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

I really don't think the lack of talent at LB can be overstated.  Tell me how you see that unit being materially better.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see DTB moving the needle. 

6 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

DTD is a known quantity this isn't his first time playing football lol. He's good, a lot better than Brock could ever possibly hope to be, but will never be more than great on any given Saturday and has no possibility of being incredible/awesome. He will always grade out on PFF at 80+. Brock was a shitty walk-on who had no business playing let alone starting on a major P5 roster. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

There is a chance the LBs are better. Just getting the defense on the same page will make people look better. If the edges improve (it will be hard not to improve)  the LBs will be better. Lots of big ass holes last year. When you have all 3 units playing poorly, they tend to have a shit multiplying effect. The sum of the parts was worse than the individual players. 

the LB corps this year is 100% better, as in twice as good. Now last year they were absolute dogshit, so they probably got upgraded to mediocre.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

• Points per Play - 93rd
  • Yards per Play - 100th
  • Sack % - 103rd
  • Punts per Play - 85th

fuck, i did this whole thing thinking those were offensive stats. so just keeping it below but not deleting it. i am an idiot.

here is the only defensive stats i pulled. the defense was beyond bad last year.

defense was #98 in yards per play given up at 6.18 yards, #91 in 4+ yards (56%), #95 in 7+ yards (32%) and #96 in 10+ yards (17%) out of 130 teams.

that said, next time please use efficiency stats that drop off non garbage time stats like FEI: https://www.bcftoys.com/2021-fei/

you have points per drive and yards per play that are going to be better. same for things like HAVOC stats (better than just sacks) and such that KSU_fan pulls on twitter

not that it matters - the defense was horrible..

Spoiler

i am going to replace this with opponent adjusted, efficiency data (FEI) - not like it's going to make the team look amazing but just using unadjusted stats is a bad way to look at anything.

here are the measures:

Offense ratings (OFEI) represent the per-possession scoring advantage each offense would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average opponent. Offensive drive efficiency (ODE) is scoring value gained or lost per offensive drive. Offensive points per drive (OPD) is total net points scored per offensive drive. Offensive available yards percentage (OAY) is drive yards gained divided by drive yards available based on starting field position. Offensive yards per play (OPP) is drive yards gained per offensive play. Touchdown rate (OTD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown. Value drive rate (OVD) is the percentage of offensive drives that conclude with a drive end value greater than the drive start value based on field position. First down rate (OFD) is the percentage of offensive drives that earn at least one first down. Busted drive rate (OBD) is the percentage of offensive drives that gain zero or negative yards. Turnover rate (OTO) is the percentage of offensive drives that end with an interception or fumble.

• #35 in OFEI
  • #40 in ODE
  • #25 in OPD
  • #66 in OAY
  • #44 in OPP
  • #26 in OTD
  • #43 in OVD
  • #105 in OFD
  • #124 in OBD
  • #65 in OTO

the offense was super funky. #125 in % of drives that include at least 1 first down, #124 in busted drive rate (OBD) but at the same time #40 in drive efficiency (ODE), #25 in net point scored per offensive drive (OPD) and #26 in OTD (tochdown rate)

lets look at points per drive info:

Texas was #25 in offensive points per drive, #45in long drives (inside own 20), #24 in medium drives (own 20 to own 40), #51 in short drives (less than 60 yards from end zone) - how are you in the top 50 in long drive (inside your own 20) while being #105 of 130 in drives without a first down!

lets look at yards per play:

Net yards per play (NPP) are the difference between drive yards per offensive play (OPP) and drive yards allowed per opponent offensive play (DPP). Drive yards are calculated as the difference between starting field position and ending field position on offensive drives. The percentages of offensive drives that average at least four yards per play gained (O4+) and allowed (D4+), at least seven yards per play gained (O7+) and allowed (D7+), and at least ten yards per play gained (O10+) and allowed (D10+) are also provided.

#44 in yards per play. #69 in yards per play over 4 yards (53%), #48 in 7+ yards (31%) and #58 in 10+ yards (#58)

so it isn't like the drives that were long were typically due to super long plays or they consistently had long plays

going to spoiler the defense data because it is literally gore.

Spoiler

defense was #98 in yards per play given up at 6.18 yards, #91 in 4+ yards (56%), #95 in 7+ yards (32%) and #96 in 10+ yards (17%) out of 130 teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

DTD is a known quantity this isn't his first time playing football lol. He's good, a lot better than Brock could ever possibly hope to be, but will never be more than great on any given Saturday and has no possibility of being incredible/awesome. He will always grade out on PFF at 80+. Brock was a shitty walk-on who had no business playing let alone starting on a major P5 roster. 

the LB corps this year is 100% better, as in twice as good. Now last year they were absolute dogshit, so they probably got upgraded to mediocre.

I meant to say there is a chance the LBs look better without any individual improvement, but with just getting the 3 units to work together and/or improvements in the DL or Secondary

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I meant to say there is a chance the LBs look better without any individual improvement, but with just getting the 3 units to work together and/or improvements in the DL or Secondary

I see what you mean - I think generally speaking the LBs will actually be the reason the other 2 units look better. LB corps is like the glue of a defense, it was so so so bad last year it was painful. 

The defense should be better because 1) it’s better at just about every position 2) it’s year two of a scheme, and 3) there is some assistance from Patterson. The argument is over how much better.

Last year the defense was terrible. It won’t be great because the talent upgrade hasn’t been good enough yet and what’s new is mostly young. So that leaves mediocre or good. Probably going to be mediocre.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

BJ Foster (on the touchdown play - the play subsequent to the play in question), literally stops running to block the blocker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

BJ Foster (on the touchdown play - the play subsequent to the play in question), literally stops running to block the blocker.

I swear that dude was point shaving. 

And actually, watch Foster on both of those plays and tell me he wasn't point shaving. 

Edited by Red Five
more
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

*Patterson

Lol. It’s well known that 2001 Miami coached itself. Coker was along for the ride. Do a little research before posting. 

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

*Patterson

if this is true it has so much potential to be a complete disaster (not that last year was great). I have seen this rumor a few times, I really hope it is straight BS. That is a great way to have a dysfunctional staff. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is a great way to have a dysfunctional staff. 

It sure seems like that was a problem last year, which fits with its dysfunctional construction. We can only hope the Davis rumor (if true) and GP somehow unfucks that staff, because no way it survives a repeat of last year. Or my liver but this isn't about me.

Idk why you focus so much on 3rd down conversion rate and team performance when talking about a single player’s performance. 

And we’re not looking for big plays from our Mike linebacker, we’re asking for dependable and he was better at that than anyone else on the roster. I’m not saying he was good, just better than our other options and improving. 

It is difficult to gauge a single players impact over the course of one game particularly when you don’t specifically know their responsibility. We can all make educated guesses, but there are limits.

I do expect my MLB to make 3rd and short stops (that is a big play). Or to cause a fumble (one of Derrick Johnson’s best attributes) every now and then. Maybe recover one occasionally. Or get a sack or break up a pass. A big play is not a TFL for one yard on 3rd and 10+ when the other team is running out the clock (yeah that’s one of his TFLs vs Baylor).

I gave you yards per rush vs KSU, who had no QB. I gave the generic reference of terrible defensive performances against KU and WVU but also added the 3rd down defense as a metric to reflect how crappy they were. Unacceptable defense throughout the year but it was really crappy in two games. Points, yards whatever was up there to say those were amongst their best performances of the year for KU and WVU.

When evaluating Ford you cannot discount the pass game when he’s actually in there. You also can’t fully evaluate based on one game when the opponent can’t throw (KState). And they still exceeded our season rush per carry average? It is a rough estimate but he played about one-third of his plays (120 out of 369) in that two game window.. How can you say he brought consistency under those circumstances? It is certainly possible that one dude can play well when the rest are terrible. But the fact is that he made minimal impact and the entire unit had their two worst games of the year.

If he improved and his impact improved the defense, I’d like to see some support for that. In my opinion his best game was OSU, which is counter to improving as the season progressed.

We all agree the defense was a failure. Maybe there is hope if next year we don’t all agree on that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I swear that dude was point shaving. 

And actually, watch Foster on both of those plays and tell me he wasn't point shaving. 

I know it’s hard to tell because so many times last year our defense gave poor effort, but the coaches told the defense to let them score there because of the score/time situation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1