2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Charlie Strong was the single dumbest game day coach I have ever witnessed at the University of Texas and perhaps ever. 

Nobody comes close.

Now, now, now.  Let's be fair.  His roster management was almost as dumb.  Like not going after a QB transfer and rolling with a starting QB whose name he did not even know.  Just how dumb was that son of a bitch?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Meyer is done.  Bullies aren’t going to do well in the portal era IMO.

No shit? You'd have said the same about Saban. Sociopath's are better at changing their strategies and tactics than the rest of us, given that they're not hemmed in by emotional attachments. That said, yeah man, I don't need a fucking update that the ship has sailed on him at Texas. I also would prefer to not have to bear further witness to all of the nonsensical "we dodged a bullet there" bullshit from imbeciles on this board while Steve Sarklostagain is coaching the program in Meyer's stead.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is not the year to be expecting 10 wins.  With like 3 exceptions, all of the talent on this years team is underclassmen and like half of it has never started a game. We should realistically be looking for a winning record and a bowl.  It sounds pathetic but that’s where we are.  End the year looking like a team to be reckoned with going forward.  That retains the recruiting class.   The X factor here is whether PK is in fact a potato or just needed an adjustment year.  That to me is everything.  Don’t do stupid shut on defense that a 6A high school coach could see is stupid. 

Funny, this is the exact same stuff that Sarkisian is telling anyone who will listen. It being said here is fine. Our HC saying it to donors and media is not a good look going into his second season.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Charlie Strong was the single dumbest game day coach I have ever witnessed at the University of Texas and perhaps ever. 

Nobody comes close.

The worst was when he would get that 1000 yard stare on the sidelines.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No shit? You'd have said the same about Saban. Sociopath's are better at changing their strategies and tactics than the rest of us, given that they're not hemmed in by emotional attachments. That said, yeah man, I don't need a fucking update that the ship has sailed on him at Texas. I also would prefer to not have to bear further witness to all of the nonsensical "we dodged a bullet there" bullshit from imbeciles on this board while Steve Sarklostagain is coaching the program in Meyer's stead.

Funny, this is the exact same stuff that Sarkisian is telling anyone who will listen. It being said here is fine. Our HC saying it to donors and media is not a good look going into his second season.

You need to "trust the coaches", sir!

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What the fuck are you talking about.  Herman's roster management was absolute dogshit and pretty much everyone around the program (players, support staff, boosters, you name it) absolutely despised him.  Herman was a joke.  The flaws on our current team are 100% a result of Herman's shit roster management and talent evaluation.  We'll see if Sark can turn it around but his ability to actually recruit fucking OL is in and of itself a massive step up from Herman.

6qvpb3.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

The worst was when he would get that 1000 yard stare on the sidelines.

My favorite was against at the end of the half one year against Okie State.  Less than 30 seconds left.  We have two timeouts.  It is third down and we are in field goal range.  Dumb fuck takes a delay of game penalty and knocks our kicker out of his comfortable range.  We miss it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The flaws on our current team are 100% a result of Herman's shit roster management and talent evaluation.

100%? No.

50%? Probably not.

MANY teams, teams that are ranked in the AP poll to start the season, teams that would beat the piss out of us, signed o-linemen & d-linemen through the portal over the last 2 off-seasons that will be starters this year. Starters that are likely better (at this moment) than anyone on our roster. Sark chose this path. Many of us know where it leads. 

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

100%? No.

50%? Probably not.

MANY teams, teams that are ranked in the AP poll to start the season, teams that would beat the piss out of us, signed o-linemen & d-linemen through the portal over the last 2 off-seasons that will be starters this year. Starters that are likely better (at this moment) than anyone on our roster. Sark chose this path. Many of us know where it leads. 

eh, i prefer the approach we have taken on the OL.  that is the correct long term play.  with where we are offensively, i'd rather just let the young guys take their lumps and get their reps.

the DL, yeah, it sure would have been nice to grab a couple of difference makers in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How stupid would it be of him to talk up this team as a potential Big12 champ and CFP contender? Or even as a 10 win team?  Because they aren't.  We have a total of 2 guys who stand to get drafted.  Bijan and Whittington.  We could make it a whopping 3 if Sweat manages not to eat his coach and has a good year, or if Overshown has somehow learned how to shed a block.   Herman left complete dog shit and we haven't done enough in the portal to fix it.  That last part is on Sarkisian, but the point stands about how dumb it would be to think this team is going to contend for anything of substance

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How stupid would it be of him to talk up this team as a potential Big12 champ and CFP contender? Or even as a 10 win team?  Because they aren't.  We have a total of 2 guys who stand to get drafted.  Bijan and Whittington.  We could make it a whopping 3 if Sweat manages not to eat his coach and has a good year, or if Overshown has somehow learned how to shed a block.   Herman left complete dog shit and we haven't done enough in the portal to fix it.  That last part is on Sarkisian, but the point stands about how dumb it would be to think this team is going to contend for anything of substance

It’s always the previous guys fault.  I don’t think there are many teams in the big 12 that wouldn’t trade rosters with us.   Maybe Oklahoma?

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

How stupid would it be of him to talk up this team as a potential Big12 champ and CFP contender? Or even as a 10 win team?  Because they aren't.  We have a total of 2 guys who stand to get drafted.  Bijan and Whittington.  We could make it a whopping 3 if Sweat manages not to eat his coach and has a good year, or if Overshown has somehow learned how to shed a block.   Herman left completely dog shit and we haven't done enough in the portal to fix it.  That last part is on Sarkisian, but the point stands about how dumb it would be to think this team is going to contend for anything of substance

So, those are the two options, is it? 1) We're going to win big time! or 2) We're fucked and will be lucky to make a bowl game.

No. That's a false choice. The right answer is something on the spectrum between those statements to the tune of "look, we're really young and inexperienced. i think we can surprise folks and have a great season, but i would not tell anyone to bet money on that. we are building for the future, and it looks bright. we're doing everything we can to maximize the opportunity this year, but is that 12 wins? 6 wins? i think those are the bookend possibilities."

And if that isn't his style, frame similar logic in his style. No one needs to hear that we are about to play for the CFP and no one wants to hear "I don't know how we get to .500." Shut the fuck up, you are at Texas, figure out a winning season, dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

And if that isn't his style, frame similar logic in his style. No one needs to hear that we are about to play for the CFP and no one wants to hear "I don't know how we get to .500." Shut the fuck up, you are at Texas, figure out a winning season, dipshit.

TomJerryJerk.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

What the fuck are you talking about.  Herman's roster management was absolute dogshit and pretty much everyone around the program (players, support staff, boosters, you name it) absolutely despised him.  Herman was a joke.  The flaws on our current team are 100% a result of Herman's shit roster management and talent evaluation.  We'll see if Sark can turn it around but his ability to actually recruit fucking OL is in and of itself a massive step up from Herman.

Beyond that, Herman never proved to be the offensive genius and QB whisperer he was sold as.  Sark has plenty of issues, most notably his DC, but I found it refreshing to watch a coach who was engaged on the sideline and creatively dictating the offensive flow.  Gone are the days I can predict the next play simply by down and distance.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It’s always the previous guys fault.  I don’t think there are many teams in the big 12 that wouldn’t trade rosters with us.   Maybe Oklahoma?

I not sure that is true, if this was a one year swap I would not agree. Texas has more talent, than probably any school. The vast majority of that are 1st and 2nd year players. I think there are few rosters that have more ready-to-play talent than Texas. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

What kicked off all this discussion was a guy saying he's apathetic.  I don't see how you could see the class we brought in (including offensive portals), what we have booked for next year, and how the offense looked when it was clicking last year, and be apathetic.  That's nuts to me.  Fix the defense and we are off.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Beyond that, Herman never proved to be the offensive genius and QB whisperer he was sold as.  Sark has plenty of issues, most notably his DC, but I found it refreshing to watch a coach who was engaged on the sideline and creatively dictating the offensive flow.  Gone are the days I can predict the next play simply by down and distance.

You just weren't mensa enough to understand the genius of splitting out Cade Brewer for 70% of snaps.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

All I'm hoping for is a '98 type season with obvious improvement over the course of the season and nobody wanting to draw us in a bowl game.  Of course that implies actually making a bowl.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

All I'm hoping for is a '98 type season with obvious improvement over the course of the season and nobody wanting to draw us in a bowl game.  Of course that implies actually making a bowl.

I would murder everyone on this board and their next of kin, while smiling, in trade for a 1998-esque season this year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If we truly have a head coach talking about just a winning season, while a school 90 miles up the road turned it around in one season, I am suddenly way less optimistic than 8-4. That’s a coach that doesn’t understand how to lead or communicate. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHornedLurker said:

im curious, where does Gary Patterson fit into this clubhouse ? 

100/100 times i would pick Jeff Traylor over GP. that isn't even close. it's hard to fire a guy when he has a statue, but it happened with him.

honestly, i would rather have another wide open coaching search than GP.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If we truly have a head coach talking about just a winning season, while a school 90 miles up the road turned it around in one season, I am suddenly way less optimistic than 8-4. That’s a coach that doesn’t understand how to lead or communicate. 

Or that doesn't realize he's no longer at UW.

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Always odd to see this. Aranda took over a 11 win team, won 2 in year 1, and won 12 again with a ton of super seniors on defense. I guess you can crash a car and be impressed in how good it looks when you restore it. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I've seen one like Ricky since. Peterson maybe in some ways was as dominant when healthy. I'll take 75% of RW's production from Bijan this year and that probably gets him to NY and Texas with 8+ wins, I imagine.

There is a strong argument that Ricky is the greatest college running back of all time.

Bijan is really, really good.  I would love to be wrong about this year and we pull out 9 or more wins.  I just cannot believe in a coach who lost six fucking games in a row.  Or who blew the lead we had against OU.

I would be thrilled to be wrong about Sark.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Skipper said:

literally all that needs to be said about this is that Charlie Strong was fired 11/26/16 and found a new job as a head coach 12/11/26 at USF.

Tom Herman was fired 1/2/21 and still does not have a head coaching job, was an offensive analyst for the Bears and was let go when they brought on a new coach in January 2022. THIS MONTH, EIGHT MONTHS LATER, he just got a job at CBS Sports Network (not regular CBS) as part of a team with Robert Turbin/Christian Fauria (UConn Games) and Meghan McPeak.

He was like 46 when he was fired at Texas, not exactly old. Young enough to get back into the game if you wanted to. But...he hasn't.

• Hook 'Em 2