2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Houston went 8-5 the year prior to Herman showing up. They started out 2-3, Ward took over at QB, and they went 6-2 the rest of they way. I think Herman is a disaster of a coach. He has never won anything with his own players. He left Texas with less talent, than he inherited. That is arguably the worst thing a coach can do to a program. 

The worst thing a coach can do to a program is to devolve it into scandal and that isn't arguable. Hugh Freeze, Jackie Sherrill, Barry Switzer, Joe Paterno, Art Briles, and Ron Meyer are all examples of guys who did the worst kind of shit to a program. Of course the aggies, penn state fans, and sooners still celebrate Sherrill, Paterno, and Switzer as heroes, but that's a sociological issue. 

The second worst thing a coach can do to a program is to lose more games than he wins at the program. 

So, no, your concern is tertiary at best on an objective basis. We don't even get to know, usually, if a coach left a program worse off than when he found it unless he's first done the actual worst thing or actual second worst thing. 

And btw, we could argue that Sarkisian has done the worst thing with what happened at USC. If he keeps losing here, he'll also have done the second worst thing.

It's a bizarre thing to witness, and it's been mystifying to me for 25 years on the boards, when people will craft narratives to protect coaches they don't know because they like what they see of them on tv or something. I'd like for Herman to have been a worse coach than Strong or Sarkisian. So far, however, he hasn't been. Here's hoping Steve Sarklossian can fix that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

And hell I forgot Jonathan Scott.   4 future NFL starters on that Offensive Line.  That's insane and absolutely elite at the college level.   You need to just take the L on that comment and move on.

Fair enough on taking the L- didn't realize those guys all had starting careers in the league.  They weren't like Davis or Williams going really high in the draft I guess is why it stuck in my mind as not NFL type hyped guys, and my following the horns in the pros is basically just watching the box scores which they don't appear in, for obvious reasons.  It feels like we have some dudes that look like they could be day 1 guys on the OL, but that's a ways away and might not happen.  When's the last 1st rounder we had on the OL?  Feels like this class will break that streak. 

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The worst thing a coach can do to a program is to devolve it into scandal and that isn't arguable. Hugh Freeze, Jackie Sherrill, Barry Switzer, Joe Paterno, Art Briles, and Ron Meyer are all examples of guys who did the worst kind of shit to a program. Of course the aggies, penn state fans, and sooners still celebrate Sherrill, Paterno, and Switzer as heroes, but that's a sociological issue. 

The second worst thing a coach can do to a program is to lose more games than he wins at the program. 

So, no, your concern is tertiary at best on an objective basis. We don't even get to know, usually, if a coach left a program worse off than when he found it unless he's first done the actual worst thing or actual second worst thing. 

And btw, we could argue that Sarkisian has done the worst thing with what happened at USC. If he keeps losing here, he'll also have done the second worst thing.

It's a bizarre thing to witness, and it's been mystifying to me for 25 years on the boards, when people will craft narratives to protect coaches they don't know because they like what they see of them on tv or something. I'd like for Herman to have been a worse coach than Strong or Sarkisian. So far, however, he hasn't been. Here's hoping Steve Sarklossian can fix that.

This is short-sighted. I dont care if a coach goes 5-8 and leaves a ton of talent for the next coach. That helps the program going forward.  I dont want to see coaches win 7 games with upperclassmen led teams, weak underclassmen talent, and get fired. That hurts the program for the future. There is a reason the career opportunist, Urban Meyer, wanted the Florida job after Ron Zook. Following coaches that can recruit, but struggle after kickoff is a good career move. Urban understood that. This is not a narrative to protect Sark. He could turn out to be just as harmful to Texas as Herman was. Just my opinion, but Herman left the program in worse shape than Charlie Strong did. 

Edited by Codaxx

I'm willing to craft narratives that predict Sark will succeed here because his offense is the first we've seen in 4 head coaches that isn't, on balance, boring, stupid, or both.  We've had to watch OU year after year with an offense that makes you go wow, and see them win the conference with it despite a shitty defense.  We got a faint whiff of that last year and it felt really good.  I badly want more of that, so I want him to work and I look for reasons he might do so, as opposed to a miserable mindset where I'm waiting for an inevitable pressing of the reset button, which comes with a gamble that we again wont get the proven elite guy.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sarkisian has had 2 losing seasons, is 2-2 in bowls, neither win being over a top 10 ranked team in a major bowl, finished ranked (20th) once, has never played for a conference title, and was fired from a top 5 coaching position for being drunk on the sidelines during a game, something only Howard Schnellenberger has accomplished in major college football in the last 42 seasons. 

I have met both dudes and have spoken more than in passing to both of them. Sarkisian is an easy guy to root for and I like him. Herman is a despicable piece of shit and I can't stand the guy. Nonetheless, there is zero evidence currently that Sarkisian is a better coach than Tom Herman. Zero as in, you cannot make a credible argument using facts that will support your position, no matter how much you or anyone else wishes to blame prior coaches on their performances. 

Michigan State signed Mel Tucker to a 10 year, 95 million dollar contract extension.  His head coaching record is 18-14.  David Shaw makes 9 million a year at Stanford and hasn't won the Pac-12 since 2015.  Every coach in the top 10 in salaries is making at least 8 million per year and is signed for 10 years.  If Sark is a sure thing, we'd be paying him sure thing money.  But I'd rather see how this plays out than pay the next Cristobol 100 million dollars hoping that they can turn the program around and be stuck with them for 6 to 7 years.  

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You have hypotheticals on your side of the position, and those may help tuck you in soundly at night, but they have nothing to do with the reality of the resumes of the two coaches. Nothing. I could argue that Herman would have gotten Texas to the playoffs last year. You could go apoplectic over that, and it would mean fuck-all to reality. Trying to change the facts to suit your narrative is aggie and lawyer-level bullshit, and it's never going to go well for posters that do that here. 

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Trying to change the facts?

Ok fine, toss out my question of how Tom would have fared in 2021.  Nevermind that this is Surly and all we do is hypothesize.  It felt relevant to the discussion at hand (comparing the two coaches) when we are judging Sark's 2021 results which are inextricably linked to the roster he inherited from Tom.  And roster management is... you know, a fairly important component of being a HC.

And I pointed out that Tom needed a last second FG to escape a home loss to KU.  In his 3rd year in the program.  I pointed this out in response to seeing Sark critics using a Kansas loss as indisputable proof that a guy doesn't meet the Texas standard.  How is pointing that out trying to change facts?

1 minute ago, bejezuz said:

Michigan State signed Mel Tucker to a 10 year, 95 million dollar contract extension.  His head coaching record is 18-14.  David Shaw makes 9 million a year at Stanford and hasn't won the Pac-12 since 2015.  Every coach in the top 10 in salaries is making at least 8 million per year and is signed for 10 years.  If Sark is a sure thing, we'd be paying him sure thing money.  But I'd rather see how this plays out than pay the next Cristobol 100 million dollars hoping that they can turn the program around and be stuck with them for 6 to 7 years.  

I mean, what? I don't even understand what you're attempting to say here.

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I'm willing to craft narratives that predict Sark will succeed here because his offense is the first we've seen in 4 head coaches that isn't, on balance, boring, stupid, or both.  We've had to watch OU year after year with an offense that makes you go wow, and see them win the conference with it despite a shitty defense.  We got a faint whiff of that last year and it felt really good.  I badly want more of that, so I want him to work and I look for reasons he might do so, as opposed to a miserable mindset where I'm waiting for an inevitable pressing of the reset button, which comes with a gamble that we again wont get the proven elite guy.

I'm all for having this guy around and winning with a badass offense for the next 20 years. I don't think he has it in him, but I'll gladly take it, you bet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Ok fine, toss out my question of how Tom would have fared in 2021.  Nevermind that this is Surly and all we do is hypothesize.  It felt relevant to the discussion at hand (comparing the two coaches) when we are judging Sark's 2021 results which are inextricably linked to the roster he inherited from Tom.  And roster management is... you know, a fairly important component of being a HC.

And I pointed out that Tom needed a last second FG to escape a home loss to KU.  In his 3rd year in the program.  I pointed this out in response to seeing Sark critics using a Kansas loss as indisputable proof that a guy doesn't meet the Texas standard.  How is pointing that out trying to change facts?

You can compare the two coaches by, you know, comparing the two coaches. Introducing this fucking silly premise of "well, but Herman would have even been worse last year! you gots to admit it!!" and expecting buy-in is your problem, and yours alone.

5 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Idiot a: Sark lost to Kansas!

Idiot b: so what!?!  Herman almost did!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  The world doesn't exist where I'd be singing the praises of Tom Herman.

I am not praising him.  I think he needed to go.  Sark is worse.  I am not hopeful given his track record here and last year's disaster that he will ever even come close to what Tom Herman did (which was below par).

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Jesus Christ. Tom Herman is objectively, inarguably a better head coach than Sark. Their resumes honestly don’t even compare.

That doesn’t mean it was not time for Herman to go, because it was, that isn’t a defense of him. But to sit here and say Texas upgraded is some next level kool aid.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Somewhat of a bizarro world TexAgs we've got here.

There, current coach can do no wrong and any suggestion to the contrary is grounds for banning. 

Here, our coach is the worst and his predecessor who we fired is actually better.

I mean, Herman is a better coach.  Both have a sufficient track record to make a fair comparison.  I still wanted him gone.

I just never in my wildest dreams imagine we would hire Sarkisian.  It was galactically fucking stupid.  I would have kept Herman another year before hiring that spare if that was the best I could do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, what? I don't even understand what you're attempting to say here.

I'm saying that we signed Sark to a prove-it deal because of the flaws you have identified.  It's priced into the contract. If he hits, he hits.  If he doesn't and we want to upgrade to a more sure thing, we're looking at a ten year contract. 

Whether hiring him was a mistake will play out, but everyone can agree that his contract was a hedge.  Texas didn't sign the next Jimbo by choice because Texas didn't like the candidates available at the time.  If we miss on Sark, we're not going to have that choice again.  If Sark can't get it done,  Texas is going to have to roll the dice on nine figure deal on the best coach we can find and live with the consequences for a long time.  And if he does start winning, we're going to have to extend him in to 2033 to keep him.  So where we are right now isn't so bad, really.  It's the next step after this plays out that is a doozy.          

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

On the roster management / recruiting issue, while Herman had definitely run his course here, there’s also the inconvenient fact that Sark’s recruiting was thoroughly underwhelming in his first cycle until the booster money (and coaching changes leading to decommits at other schools) elevated that again.

Sark’s recruiting success is in an era where Texas has the largest (or close to the largest) payroll for players and recruits.  Herman and Strong, useless jackasses they may be, were recruiting in an era where Texas was at a decided disadvantage in payroll compared to the elite recruiting schools.  It’s only fair to acknowledge that before we celebrate Sark The Program Builder Extraordinaire or act like recruiting might drop off a cliff with the next guy. 

Satk didn’t take over until after NSD1 his first cycle.  Not sure how you can hold that against him.

• Hook 'Em 8

Do you 'member when there was a horde of surly posters adamant about the fact that Charlie was guaranteed another year after the 2016 season? Do you 'member some of them sticking to that position even after his loss to Kansas? I 'member.

Just saying, you get AT MOST a one-Kansas mulligan as HFB at Texas (it's still discouraged), and in general do not underestimate this program's willingness to cut bait on a coach if there is a bed shitting of epic proportion. There is no truly "guarantee" term, unsigned 5-stars and narratives be damned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

On the roster management / recruiting issue, while Herman had definitely run his course here, there’s also the inconvenient fact that Sark’s recruiting was thoroughly underwhelming in his first cycle until the booster money (and coaching changes leading to decommits at other schools) elevated that again.

Sark’s recruiting success is in an era where Texas has the largest (or close to the largest) payroll for players and recruits.  Herman and Strong, useless jackasses they may be, were recruiting in an era where Texas was at a decided disadvantage in payroll compared to the elite recruiting schools.  It’s only fair to acknowledge that before we celebrate Sark The Program Builder Extraordinaire or act like recruiting might drop off a cliff with the next guy. 

Sark was going up against record-shattering bags at A&M if you wanna talk payroll disadvantage...

Criticizing his head coaching abilities is fair game. Claiming he's a bad recruiter is like saying he's a bad OC, aka laughable.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Jesus Christ. Tom Herman is objectively, inarguably a better head coach than Sark. Their resumes honestly don’t even compare.

That doesn’t mean it was not time for Herman to go, because it was, that isn’t a defense of him. But to sit here and say Texas upgraded is some next level kool aid.

Well then pour me another glass, motherfucker.

Satk didn’t take over until after NSD1 his first cycle.  Not sure how you can hold that against him.

He’s referring to 2022. The class Texas just brought in fell into Sark’s lap with coaching changes across the CFB landscape, to say nothing of how NIL has dramatically changed the position from which Texas is recruiting.

I’d mostly say that I’m not sure you can compare the two when it comes to recruiting, because NIL is that groundbreaking.
  • Hook 'Em 2

What is apparent to me is that recruiting is king and Herman fucking sucked at it.  Sarkisian benefited from some things last cycle, but appears to be doing very well this cycle with the power of NIL behind him.  If we can get to 9-3 this year which is certainly possible, then he ought to be able to hold onto this class.  I will take 8-4 with no other shellackings aside from Bama though.  No excuses for not bludgeoning the opposition in 2023.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Have you never had a boss that was terrible communicating upward but was great with his team? Or Vice versa? I have. Many times.

My experience, which should of course be immediately discarded, is that if they are very good in one direction they almost assuredly suck in the other.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Except here I guess where everybody who doesn't go undefeated in an incompetent idiot.

I don't like comments like this. No one around here expects us to go undefeated. I would like to see us beat Iowa State and Kansas in the same season. It is highly unlikely Sark can pull that off this year.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Houston went 8-5 the year prior to Herman showing up. They started out 2-3, Ward took over at QB, and they went 6-2 the rest of they way. I think Herman is a disaster of a coach. He has never won anything with his own players. He left Texas with less talent, than he inherited. That is arguably the worst thing a coach can do to a program. 

And he had the benefit of building his record and early reputation in the AAC instead of the pac-12.

Say what you will about Dark, but the football community has decided he was good enough for Washington, USC, and now Texas.

Edited by pacman

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Can't wait to argue about the mock game and how shitty everyone played from 9.95er notes that are completely fabricated next week. 

At least after the ULM game we will be able to argue about film. I think I'm going to "gifify" every snap or figure out how to do it after that game, then those gifs will be available for treefiddy subscribers to use in posts. 

At least there will be fewer comments about coaches who are no longer here.  I’ve posted about coaches as well so I’m not innocent, but I am ready for new topics that aren’t just regurgitation from 20 pages ago….  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

And he had the benefit of building his record and early reputation in the AAC instead of the pac-12.

Say what you will about Dark, but the football community has decided he was good enough for Washington, USC, and now Texas.

Seems to be a great offensive mind and very likable.  I don’t really hold the AAC thing against Tom though.  Yes at an aac school

23 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

What is apparent to me is that recruiting is king and Herman fucking sucked at it.  Sarkisian benefited from some things last cycle, but appears to be doing very well this cycle with the power of NIL behind him.  If we can get to 9-3 this year which is certainly possible, then he ought to be able to hold onto this class.  I will take 8-4 with no other shellackings aside from Bama though.  No excuses for not bludgeoning the opposition in 2023.

If we go 9-3 this year, we will not only hold on to this class, but we'll sign even more studs.  

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

I'm saying that we signed Sark to a prove-it deal because of the flaws you have identified.  It's priced into the contract. If he hits, he hits.  If he doesn't and we want to upgrade to a more sure thing, we're looking at a ten year contract. 

Whether hiring him was a mistake will play out, but everyone can agree that his contract was a hedge.  Texas didn't sign the next Jimbo by choice because Texas didn't like the candidates available at the time.  If we miss on Sark, we're not going to have that choice again.  If Sark can't get it done,  Texas is going to have to roll the dice on nine figure deal on the best coach we can find and live with the consequences for a long time.  And if he does start winning, we're going to have to extend him in to 2033 to keep him.  So where we are right now isn't so bad, really.  It's the next step after this plays out that is a doozy.          

The reality is that Texas whiffed on Meyer, ironically in part because we had no infrastructure in place to funnel money to players and Meyer told us we would never compete for future national titles without gearing up to compete on that front, and then Brian Kelly told Texas he wasn't interested but for a contract like we'd allegedly offered Meyer. So Texas reacted brashly, tired of the whole thing and ready to show Herman the door, and they hired the likeable Seven Loss Steve. If everyone could go back in time, but have NIL and the 5-7 season knowledge in their heads, Meyer takes the job and Kelly gets the big offer if he doesn't. But, here we are.

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Winning record through seven plus seasons. I get his is not DKR but competence is not exactly a high bar to clear.

Except here I guess where everybody who doesn't go undefeated in an incompetent idiot.

This isn't English. I've tried to make sense of it, but no, you're going to have to try harder to help us read your gibberish.

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

This post presumes that "the football community" has some sort of value as an intellectual collective, yet, they don't. Therefore, what I will say about "Dark" is that he's yet to validate that idiot's gaggle for having that much confidence in him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

We were not close to the defense being mediocre last year and we won't be this year. Sark was reckless in his disregard for getting immediate help for this defense. Why? Based on what I've read the last few pages it is because of Tom Herman, PK, Tom Herman and Tom Herman.

The only person you have pos repping your schtick is Satya. Just think about that for a minute.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Fucking hell of a story if Sark overcomes his addiction, grows as a man and coach and resurrects the program.

Maybe it's the opiates but I'm feeling hopeful.

You may be onto something. Whole board could use a bit of fentanyl in their morning coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Somewhat of a bizarro world TexAgs we've got here.

There, current coach can do no wrong and any suggestion to the contrary is grounds for banning. 

Here, our coach is the worst and his predecessor who we fired is actually better.

They're eternal sheep/sunshine pumpers and we're not satisfied unless we're going Mach 2 with our hair on fire

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, but we knew Herman was never going to win bigly at Texas. Sark might not -- but we don't know that for sure yet. We should have a much better feel in four months.

43 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He’s referring to 2022. The class Texas just brought in fell into Sark’s lap with coaching changes across the CFB landscape, to say nothing of how NIL has dramatically changed the position from which Texas is recruiting.

I’d mostly say that I’m not sure you can compare the two when it comes to recruiting, because NIL is that groundbreaking.

Herman filled his staff with terrible recruiters and then was so unlikeable himself, he cost his program the #1 overall recruit in the country. Meanwhile, Sark has hired a bunch of pipe-hitters who are getting it done (with a nice assist from NIL) on the trail.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

But Herman might be the worst talent evaluator in Texas history. And Strong was a shit recruiter. That’s the worst back to back combo you can get. 

• Hook 'Em 1