2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It's okay to be upset about the last 12 years; hell I am, I'm fucking sick of it.

But, JFC, to just give the fuck up on the season and figuratively go into the fetal position before the first game even kicks off is just being a flat out pussy.  And that's what half this thread is doing. 

But, carry on w/ your collective masochism.  

This.

I'm not going into the fetal position at least until the second quarter against Alabama.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

What a strange punchline. While Sark's failure in the portal to supplement the front 7 on D is likely more egregious, not getting quality portal transfers for the o-line the past 2 offseason pisses me off more. Why? Bijan. This guy should leave Texas at the same level as Ricky and Earl. Imagine if, in Sark's first offseason, we got the 2 o-linemen who started for Baylor last season and who are starters again for them this season on an o-line that is considered to be a top 10 unit in college football. We would have had a winning season and Bijan would have been in NY at the end of 2021. Maybe you just don't like Bijan. Maybe all you care about is ad hominem attacks on message boards. I think you like scoring points with the idiots here who are convinced everything is fine and we will win 10 games. 

Don’t be dense. The punchline is delivered at you bc that’s literally all you talk about. I don’t even think you are wrong- they should have picked up a lineman or 3 before 2021. 

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Matt Campbell’s agent and the money had already agreed to high level terms the prior year and Del Conte balked, wanting to give Herman another year to “prove himself”, which worked out well. Campbell turned down the Lions job about a month or so later for like $8million/year and decided to focus on pursuing a conference title and legacy at Iowa State. He then proceeded to shit himself under the pressure of expectations and ISU fans proceeded to call me a liar and motherfucker and claim to this day that Sweet Matt Campbell will never leave there. Now that we can see that he’s great as an underdog and can’t handle pressure, I think Ames is a perfect spot for him too.

200.gif

at the time, that was a huge mistake.

in hindsight, that was a huge mistake.

Edited by NoName

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Oklahoma State was 0 for 0 on 4th down in their 2021 matchup against Texas.

It was 2nd and 7 with about 2:30 left.  They got a first on an 8 yard run.  Joel Klatt highlighted the 2 high look on the replay and was saying how stupid it was.

Edited by ClubWhatever

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

PK was terrible for a whole year. I have no delusions he’s suddenly going to coordinate a shut down defense bc GP is helping in film review

Damn - PK plays all 11 positions?

He also wasn't terrible for "a whole year". We had terrible stretches but we also put together some competent stretches on D. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Imagine if, in Sark's first offseason, we got the 2 o-linemen who started for Baylor last season and who are starters again for them this season on an o-line that is considered to be a top 10 unit in college football. We would have had a winning season and Bijan would have been in NY at the end of 2021.

I’m closing my eyes really hard trying to imagine, then I remember that one of the dudes is a Baylor legacy who committed before Sarkisian had even set foot on campus.

Now I’m having a tough imagining it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Damn - PK plays all 11 positions?

He also wasn't terrible for "a whole year". We had terrible stretches but we also put together some competent stretches on D. 

Didn’t we have the worst defense in school history last season? I don’t hate myself to look it up but I’m pretty sure points per game and yards allowed were terrible. “Good stretches” doesn’t mean anything when you give up a touch down on 3rd and 30+ in your biggest rivalry game or let Kansas (with a 3rd string qb and walk ons) score 50+  - let’s not pretend that we were even mediocre on defense in our 5-7 season 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Don’t be dense. The punchline is delivered at you bc that’s literally all you talk about. I don’t even think you are wrong- they should have picked up a lineman or 3 before 2021. 

Why does it keep coming back up? Have you missed the dozens of posts putting 100% of the blame on Herman for this year's personnel problems? Herman and Sark both share blame in this. Herman was a disaster and needed to be fired. It is a tragedy that CDC made a bad situation worse. 

I get the lack of confidence in Sark based off of last year and we have to see it on the field this fall, but dude either self assessed or actually listened to all you fucks. 

Some perspective. Brought in Ewers, changed up strength and conditioning, asked that the CB’s play tight coverage, DL’s play up field, developed a tight end, shut down any QB controversy, isn’t a douche. Oh and somehow recruited a Manning to Texas over bama/georgia. We might win 8. 

• Hook 'Em 8

20 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It was 2nd and 7 with about 2:30 left.  They got a first on an 8 yard run.  Joel Klatt highlighted the 2 high look on the replay and was saying how stupid it was.

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Got it.

2nd and 7 is a wee bit different than 4th and short.

The context is the same. You're choosing to be pedantic because the reality doesn't suit your outlook. We were talking about the stupidity of the playcalling on the defensive side of the ball from the fucking stands during that game. We repeatedly acted like there was a passing threat on 2nd and 3rd and long late in the game and there wasn't. It was obvious to everyone with a pulse not named Pete Kwiatkowski. I used to be able to call the plays in the stands based on down and distance when Greg Davis was the OC and when Fuckhead Herman was the HC. Watching Kwiatkowski flail last year was a similar experience. 

Football coaches and meathead fans tend to lean towards overcomplicating the constructs of the game. It's actually not an overly complex thing. 11 variables to a side on each snap, one side trying to move an object forward, one side trying to move it backward. You don't need safeties back and CBs playing off when you are chasing a lead late in a game and need to make a stop while the other team is terrified of allowing their turnover machine QB to throw a forward pass and they want to drain the clock. It's not fucking science. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Bobby 

Spoiler

Yesterday, I wrote about a pleasant surprise along the offensive line. Today, I’m going to dig into the DL a little.

I’ve mentioned it casually elsewhere, but I continue to be told that T’Vondre Sweat is putting himself into position for a big senior season.

For someone so talented, it’s his contract year.

And, at least up to this point, the practice habits, the effort, and the consistency have all been amped up from previous seasons.

There is some concern about the zero-sum game aspect of fall camp. Perhaps Sweat and Byron Murphy are looking good because the interior OL opposite them is so young given the absence of Junior Angilau on the offensive side.

But I am told the consistency and effort from Sweat is the best it’s been since he’s been on campus. Fingers crossed it actually pays off in 2022 because Sweat could easily be a key part of Texas being a more disruptive defense up the middle of the field.

IT has also been told that Texas coaches continue to be impressed with freshman J’Mond Tapp.

While fellow freshman Ethan Burke has justly received more notoriety from onlookers because Burke seems to be pushing for early playing time, Tapp appears to be taking to college football the right way behind the scenes.

Some times it’s the mental aspect or physical aspect of college football that holds a player back from eventually reaching his potential. IT is told that not only is Burke headed in the right direction, but staffers believe Tapp is, too.

One more note as it relates to the DL to file away:

When it comes to recruiting, do not be surprised if Texas starts to go after bigger-bodied DLs on the trail as the Horns get closer to the move to the SEC.

The Texas DL, as currently constructed, is not necessarily under-sized compared to their future SEC counterparts. It’s just that the volume of “big humans” on the defensive side needs to be increased just as it has been for the O.

I heard Bijan Robinson made a one-handed catch in practice yesterday that astonished just about everyone.

If Texas has a good season, Robinson is too exciting of a player not to get some serious Heisman consideration.

• Hook 'Em 7

18 hours ago, immamac said:

You can hate Tom Herman all you want he never had a losing season, went and won every bowl and won a sugar bowl. 

Sark hadn't done shit except go 5-7 with the best RB in the country. 

At least Sark has the guts to utilize the best RB in the country. Herman kept him on the sideline too often.

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It was still indefensible.  They had been running all quarter and were clearly not going to put the game on Sanders' arm with a lead.

This play is pretty good encapsulation of the Texas defense in 2021. Did not love the call in that situation. Amazingly neither LB is touched on the play and neither touch the RB. If Ford makes a reasonable play or if Ojomo and Gbenda arent in the same hole, maybe the call doesnt matter.  If there is better call, maybe the LB play does not matter. 

Edited by Codaxx

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby 

Hide contents

Yesterday, I wrote about a pleasant surprise along the offensive line. Today, I’m going to dig into the DL a little.

I’ve mentioned it casually elsewhere, but I continue to be told that T’Vondre Sweat is putting himself into position for a big senior season.

And, at least up to this point, the practice habits, the effort, and the consistency have all been amped up from previous seasons.

There is some concern about the zero-sum game aspect of fall camp. Perhaps Sweat and Byron Murphy are looking good because the interior OL opposite them is so young given the absence of Junior Angilau on the offensive side.

But I am told the consistency and effort from Sweat is the best it’s been since he’s been on campus. Fingers crossed it actually pays off in 2022 because Sweat could easily be a key part of Texas being a more disruptive defense up the middle of the field.

IT has also been told that Texas coaches continue to be impressed with freshman J’Mond Tapp.

While fellow freshman Ethan Burke has justly received more notoriety from onlookers because Burke seems to be pushing for early playing time, Tapp appears to be taking to college football the right way behind the scenes.

Some times it’s the mental aspect or physical aspect of college football that holds a player back from eventually reaching his potential. IT is told that not only is Burke headed in the right direction, but staffers believe Tapp is, too.

When it comes to recruiting, do not be surprised if Texas starts to go after bigger-bodied DLs on the trail as the Horns get closer to the move to the SEC.

The Texas DL, as currently constructed, is not necessarily under-sized compared to their future SEC counterparts. It’s just that the volume of “big humans” on the defensive side needs to be increased just as it has been for the O.

I heard Bijan Robinson made a one-handed catch in practice yesterday that astonished just about everyone.

If Texas has a good season, Robinson is too exciting of a player not to get some serious Heisman consideration.

please-sir-i-want-some-more.gif

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Didn’t we have the worst defense in school history last season? I don’t hate myself to look it up but I’m pretty sure points per game and yards allowed were terrible. “Good stretches” doesn’t mean anything when you give up a touch down on 3rd and 30+ in your biggest rivalry game or let Kansas (with a 3rd string qb and walk ons) score 50+  - let’s not pretend that we were even mediocre on defense in our 5-7 season 

I don't think PK called a great defense last year - but he was trying to implement his system and doing it with a bunch of JAGs and guys that were straight up quitting at halftime. I can recognize that we were bad last year while at the same time giving him a bit of a pass. 

Obviously if it's still undisciplined, missed assignment, bad effort defense in year 2 then there should be some concerns. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Rhule had a rebuild job at Baylor, and tore the program down to the foundations. I think he started something like 13 freshmen during his first season. Not all in the same game, but over the course of the season. They had injuries out the ass, also, cause freshmen O-line going against upper classmen D-line. First season 1-11. Second season, 7-6. Third season, 11-2. 

Texas needs a rebuild, although for different reasons than Baylor did. There could be the same growing pains. I'm neutral to slightly negative on Sark, but he has to get a chance. Rhule didn't need a season to evaluate the guys who had to go. He did that by looking at off field conduct. Sark needed a season, because he had to evaluate on field effort, whether or not they were a locker room cancer, and stuff like that. 

For the Longhorns to move forward, they have to eliminate the old entitlement culture, and that may mean getting rid of some guys with talent and replacing them with people who aren't ready. I've never been thrilled about starting freshmen on the O-line. They need a year in a college strength and conditioning program. HOWEVER, starting a freshman who's not ready beats having him sit for a year behind an upper classman that's giving a half assed effort, cause they'll be learning the same half assed effort. 

This may make for some growing pains this season. 

Throwing NIL in here, it could be a blessing or a curse. Can the coach sit a QB that's already a millionaire before taking a college snap if the QB doesn't stick with the game plan? Six years ago, before NIL and easy transfer, Rhule brought Denzel Mims (who went to the NFL) in and told him to get on the bus or get off the bus, but you're not keeping your current attitude and staying here. The term was "inviting them to be successful somewhere else." Not sure a coach can do that today. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Stewart Mandel predicts 4-8, so it's settled.  We can hit the coach reset button in 4 months and then all be one happy family again.

Holy shit.  We’re going to win big this year guys. If Stewy predicts we suck there is no greater predictor of success.  He’s a total rube.   

6 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Rhule had a rebuild job at Baylor, and tore the program down to the foundations. I think he started something like 13 freshmen during his first season. Not all in the same game, but over the course of the season. They had injuries out the ass, also, cause freshmen O-line going against upper classmen D-line. First season 1-11. Second season, 7-6. Third season, 11-2. 

Texas needs a rebuild, although for different reasons than Baylor did. There could be the same growing pains. I'm neutral to slightly negative on Sark, but he has to get a chance. Rhule didn't need a season to evaluate the guys who had to go. He did that by looking at off field conduct. Sark needed a season, because he had to evaluate on field effort, whether or not they were a locker room cancer, and stuff like that. 

For the Longhorns to move forward, they have to eliminate the old entitlement culture, and that may mean getting rid of some guys with talent and replacing them with people who aren't ready. I've never been thrilled about starting freshmen on the O-line. They need a year in a college strength and conditioning program. HOWEVER, starting a freshman who's not ready beats having him sit for a year behind an upper classman that's giving a half assed effort, cause they'll be learning the same half assed effort. 

Throwing NIL in here, it could be a blessing or a curse. Can the coach sit a QB that's already a millionaire before taking a college snap if the QB doesn't stick with the game plan? Six years ago, before NIL and easy transfer, Rhule brought Denzel Mims (who went to the NFL) in and told him to get on the bus or get off the bus, but you're not keeping your current attitude and staying here. The term was "inviting them to be successful somewhere else." Not sure a coach can do that today. 

You sure as fuck can. It's your god damned team. This is what is wrong with everyone's view of NIL. You aren't getting paid to play. I don't think NIL factors into coaching much except to save guys that are being poached. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Shaggyhorn said:

That’s debatable, but yes, an indication of how silly the last few pages have been. At this rate, there will be a premeditated attack on another Surly poster by the time the season rolls around.

100%.  By the end of the weekend, I bet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

I guess you missed the part about us having 30+ new arrivals with fuck heads like BJ Foster and Joshua Moore leaving? 

This is practically a new team with some of the better parts (Bijan, Worthy) remaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The context is the same. You're choosing to be pedantic because the reality doesn't suit your outlook. We were talking about the stupidity of the playcalling on the defensive side of the ball from the fucking stands during that game. We repeatedly acted like there was a passing threat on 2nd and 3rd and long late in the game and there wasn't. It was obvious to everyone with a pulse not named Pete Kwiatkowski. I used to be able to call the plays in the stands based on down and distance when Greg Davis was the OC and when Fuckhead Herman was the HC. Watching Kwiatkowski flail last year was a similar experience. 

Football coaches and meathead fans tend to lean towards overcomplicating the constructs of the game. It's actually not an overly complex thing. 11 variables to a side on each snap, one side trying to move an object forward, one side trying to move it backward. You don't need safeties back and CBs playing off when you are chasing a lead late in a game and need to make a stop while the other team is terrified of allowing their turnover machine QB to throw a forward pass and they want to drain the clock. It's not fucking science. 

I hate to point out the obvious, but Cook is in the box on that play.

25 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

PK consistently coached top defenses at UW and Boise State. But whatever, I guess I’ll take the word of *checks notes* “Mitch Cumsteen” that PK’s a dumbass.

My apologies.... I obviously fucked up the details (it was early and the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet), but the larger point still stands that they did some very basic things that defied common sense that even in the best light could be considered "head scratching" but could be more accurately labeled as "fucking brain dead."

I don't think PK is a dumbass, but if you don't think there were some legitimate WTF moments last year on defense that had zero to do with scheme, personnel or effort... then you were watching a different football team than I did.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

I guess you missed the part about us having 30+ new arrivals with fuck heads like BJ Foster and Joshua Moore leaving? 

This is practically a new team with some of the better parts (Bijan, Worthy) remaining. 

No, I didn't. Teams get 23-25 new arrivals every year, anyway, so 30+ is high, but not off the charts. 

Possibly I wasn't clear. I think Sark is trying to turn over the culture, and that is why there are new arrivals. Some of them will have to start earlier than the coaching staff would like, and that may make for growing pains this year. 

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby 

Hide contents

Good that Sweat is playing well. The note that Tapp and Burke look good is probably more a function of our offensive tackles, though.

18 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

You think Herman puts together a winning record last season? 

No Sam.  Roster ranked 115th in returning production.  Same glaring fucking holes on defense he was responsible for.  

"Ohhmergurd but Sark lost to Kansas."  Fuckface almost and probably should've put up an L at home to Kansas in his third year on campus.  

But he didn’t.

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby 

Hide contents

how are coaches that have been here a season and a half in a position to say that's sweat's effort and consistency have been the best since he's been on campus (for four years)?  fucking august camp vague koolaid reporting never fails.  at least no one called him a "grown ass man."

• Like 1