2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

7 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Disappointing to hear about Milton. That was the big worry about him transferring. At the time he did, it was a bonus with Neyor and Hall and not a need. But hopefully he can still contribute in someway.  

Milton is a great pickup as your 4th or 5th receiver. He’s better than any 3rd receiver we trotted out last year but pretty meh overall as a #3 target. Neyor going down hurt and makes it a must for this team that Whit stays healthy. I am well aware of counting on that as an outcome, yet I still bet $100 on 10 or more participations games in the full season against CTJ’s 7 or less. Most likely outcome on that bet is a push at 8 or 9 out of 13/14 games we play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Skipper said:

From what I hear punting situation is just as bad so may as well amend this to just go for it unless 4th and 15+ if outside of their red zone.

Hasn't our new Aussie punter been in the program a year? You would think the coaches should at least have somewhat of an idea of what to expect. I thought I remember him punting in the spring game and looking fine but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Easier said than done, but we just need the FG kicking game to be fairly reliable inside of 40. Dicker was almost automatic inside that range in his career (88%). Outside of that is when it became an adventure (61%). Our last few shaky field goal kickers (Rowland in 2017, Domingue in 2016) had major issues getting air on their kicks. Seemed like every one was a low line drive. I guess that might be something to look for early in the year/during warmups.

Edited by Hookem2147

Not having kicker is worth a loss by itself.  Our two safeties have a combined 10 starts.  One got run the fuck over by Caleb Williams and the other is 188 lbs.  One of the starting corners was bullied all year on the edge because he's 5'9 185.  At least our starting mike from FCS, who's apparently better than anything behind him, has a whole 30 lbs on that guy at the same height.  We have nobody who has ever legit set an edge but maybe the doughy looking true freshman can do it.  All DT's not named Murphy don't understand leverage and pad level and routinely get washed out by competent OL blocking schemes.  Two true freshman starters on the offensive line and a Soph who's never started a game.   A center who was routinely caved in by any nose tackle on an NFL radar.  A QB who has never thrown a pass in a game.  Get. the. fuck. out of here with that shit.

The horse is too small, the jockey too big, the trainer too old, and I'm too dumb to know the difference.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I had the chance to talk to a buddy who has been to multiple practices and every person on this thread except the clown that thinks NFL scouts make a bunch of money would trust this buddy's unvarnished takes. And he's not prone, ever, to positive hyperbole with UT football.

-This is a 9-3/10-2 regular season team. If Sarkisian lets these guys fall apart to anything under 8-4, they should fire him before Thanksgiving. This team has more talent than anyone in the Big 12 this year. Give me TCU's WRs and someone else's kicker, and I'm not sure what other group is outpacing what Texas has. TCU vs Texas at WR might be a wash anyway.

-Bijan gets all of the hype, but he's better this year than anything we saw last year. It's hard to believe. He could be starting in the NFL this season. 

-The backfield overall is just terrific.

-You're going to be better at TE and it isn't even close. 1-4 at that spot are better than anything they've had out there since I can remember.

-Thompson is going to drop some passes, but he's also going to catch a few that are behind the defense. He could wind up with 6tds this year averaging 50 yards/td and also average 2 drops/game. 

-Cain is not going to be a star but he is going to give you consistent catches. Milton has great hands but the injuries have killed his athleticism. He's an asset though and Sarkisian will use him right.

-Ewers is going to be awesome. He's going to throw a bunch of what-the-fuck picks trying to figure out where he can whip it and where he can't, and he'll remember those for about as long as it takes for him to get to the sideline. In one side of the mullet and out the other in no time. 

-They didn't miss on one guy on the OL and they know it. There will be 3 freshmen OL starters super soon and another is probable this year. Robertson is physical and will be a good center if his shoulders hold up. Agbo and Neto are more physical than they feared. Williams needs a little work in pass pro but is the starter at RT soon. Banks is not a freshmen and Hutson is the guy they're really surprised by, because he's better than they assumed and is a starter already.

-Kicker is a major fucking problem.

-The concerns about the DTs are overblown. They're swearing they're going to let them play upfield and if that is the case, the DTs are above average. Broughton can't stop the run and positivity around him feels like bullshit to press the other guys to up their game for snaps. 

-EDGE is the biggest problem on defense. There should be less concern about it. This was not explained in detail to me as to why I should be less concerned about the position.

-LB is much improved. No studs, but they'll be a hell of a lot better than the mess last year. The transfer is tiny dynamite.

-Secondary looks really good but could be zero sum with the fact that they know a lot of the plays coming at them and Ewers does not give a fuck in practice about trying to thread the needle.

-If they play Bama tough and show sparks on offense, they could go on to be a team that gets substantially better as the season goes on. Traylor will have UTSA playing violently and that comes off of Bama, so Tech is the biggest game of the year. Win the first conference game to go 3-1, then beat a lost WVU team at home and figure out what OU is made of in Dallas. 

-This staff is using outlets to send signals to players on a daily basis.

0A7881B3-F548-4F04-AAAE-70B67BF36A3A.gif.2f4ec0a4db02bcb4b22d233b27d43adc.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

For those who think Sark is a trash coach…

I’m not exactly sure where ctj stands: Immediately post Meyer, he seemed to think Sark was a pretty decent hire. Now it seems more like 6 loss Steve. Personally, I think if the coaches can recruit, the results will follow. And recruiting now is primarily NIL which requires alumni support.

You know, I wasn’t a huge fan of Mack. I thought he was a below average coach and an excellent manager. In the beginning of his tenure, I thought a CEO coach could be successful. A decent number of ex players disagreed and we all know how things turned out.

So back to Sark. He can recruit as long as he gets support. His offense is good. The question is whether he can make the correct hire on D. I think he will be successful here if given the chance. We will be pretty good this year as long as injuries remain in check. And that will be enough to keep the current recruiting class and improve on it. Then, with all the young talent, the rest should take care of itself. The one caveat is that we are joining the SEC so the competition will improve as we improve.

I don’t remember that but I’m a drunk.  I think ctj hated the hire 

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That record prediction is what I'm passing on. Not my own view. In any event, what bet did I make around the season total? I don't think I made one formally when Wulaw was pushing for it. I don't normally bet others on season totals.

3C2CD9F5-3A12-4B81-9785-758E1AB5B97D.thumb.png.7217581f3f5f3eef26e45c116fe6bf0c.png

Well you certainly missed out on this free money back in March. I’ll give my winnings to the HwH collective.

Also saw a post back then from you that emphatically stated banks would be a day 1 starter (not that big a reach IMO), and that we would have 3 true freshman starters by October.  Everything checks out so far.

46 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

End of the day here my only bitch with the naysayers on here:  if you want to predict 5-7 or 6-6 cool, you do you- you might well be right. But don’t tell me that this teams ceiling is 7-5. They have a very real and very defensible argument for winning 10 or 12 games this year (counting big 12 title game and bowl game). 2-1 should be guaranteed in non conference. 7-2 isn’t some insurmountable hurdle in this conference. Do that and you have 2 more games to get to 10 or 11 wins. Gabe everything break right and you go 10-2 in the regular season and could get to 12 as an outside stretch goal. 

I really don’t see an argument for 10-12 games. I think 9 would be a hell of an achievement this year. There are still plenty of issues across the board. 2 freshmen OL, that might be the minimum. Freshmen QB that will likely have 1-2 WTF games. Offense has real upside, but that might not be seen until late October. That assumes JWhitt plays all season, which is not a smart bet. The defense will be better, but anything beyond average P5 defense seems a bit Polyanna-ish to me.   I loved the Kool-aid from @closetojumping, but honestly I thought it was a bit overboard. I think 8-4 with a chance at a bowl win would be a good outcome. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

3C2CD9F5-3A12-4B81-9785-758E1AB5B97D.thumb.png.7217581f3f5f3eef26e45c116fe6bf0c.png

Well you certainly missed out on this free money back in March. I’ll give my winnings to the HwH collective.

Also saw a post back then from you that emphatically stated banks would be a day 1 starter (not that big a reach IMO), and that we would have 3 true freshman starters by October.  Everything checks out so far.

Its okay...I'll take under 10. I always lose so its great for the team!

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I really don’t see an argument for 10-12 games. I think 9 would be a hell of an achievement this year. There are still plenty of issues across the board. 2 freshmen OL, that might be the minimum. Freshmen QB that will likely have 1-2 WTF games. Offense has real upside, but that might not be seen until late October. That assumes JWhitt plays all season, which is not a smart bet. The defense will be better, but anything beyond average P5 defense seems a bit Polyanna-ish to me.   I loved the Kool-aid from @closetojumping, but honestly I thought it was a bit overboard. I think 8-4 with a chance at a bowl win would be a good outcome. 

I’ve stated a ton of different times that I’m talking about big 12 title game and bowl game when saying 9,10,11 wins. If you have us at 8-4 you are already there. The point is there is no way the ceiling on this team is dreadful. 

25 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just to be clear, I was passing on info, not showing up with my own new sunny disposition. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just to be clear, I was passing on info, not showing up with my own new sunny disposition. 

I am well aware. If I had to make a line on TExas regular season wins, I would probably say 7.5. I am guessing you are much closer to that line, than the statements you passed on 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't really know what specific examples exist for this, but I certainly got the impression that the Broughton updates have been geared more towards who is taking reps behind him than about the premise that he's suddenly come on. He's a good guy for the program, but the touting of him by the staff to the outlets has seemed really weird. This guy saying "Broughton is a liability in the run defense, I don't see him getting a ton of reps." makes me feel like the head scratching over Broughton is more about Coburn, Sweat, whomever. 

Yeah, Sark has talked up Broughton in media sessions multiple times this summer -- seems like Sark's way of trying to light a fire under Sweat and Coburn.  

In the past, Scipio has been overly critical of Broughton from "pads too high" to "lack of strength".

(Old Scipio Quote"Vernon Broughton played snaps at both DE(!) and DT. I don’t know why. Carrying bad weight, stands straight up, too weak. " )

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I had the chance to talk to a buddy who has been to multiple practices and every person on this thread except the clown that thinks NFL scouts make a bunch of money would trust this buddy's unvarnished takes. And he's not prone, ever, to positive hyperbole with UT football.

-This is a 9-3/10-2 regular season team. If Sarkisian lets these guys fall apart to anything under 8-4, they should fire him before Thanksgiving. This team has more talent than anyone in the Big 12 this year. Give me TCU's WRs and someone else's kicker, and I'm not sure what other group is outpacing what Texas has. TCU vs Texas at WR might be a wash anyway.

-Bijan gets all of the hype, but he's better this year than anything we saw last year. It's hard to believe. He could be starting in the NFL this season. 

-You're going to be better at TE and it isn't even close. 1-4 at that spot are better than anything they've had out there since I can remember.

-Thompson is going to drop some passes, but he's also going to catch a few that are behind the defense. He could wind up with 6tds this year averaging 50 yards/td and also average 2 drops/game. 

-Cain is not going to be a star but he is going to give you consistent catches. Milton has great hands but the injuries have killed his athleticism. He's an asset though and Sarkisian will use him right.

-Ewers is going to be awesome. He's going to throw a bunch of what-the-fuck picks trying to figure out where he can whip it and where he can't, and he'll remember those for about as long as it takes for him to get to the sideline. In one side of the mullet and out the other in no time. 

-They didn't miss on one guy on the OL and they know it. There will be 3 freshmen OL starters super soon and another is probable this year. Robertson is physical and will be a good center if his shoulders hold up. Agbo and Neto are more physical than they feared. Williams needs a little work in pass pro but is the starter at RT soon. Banks is not a freshmen and Hutson is the guy they're really surprised by, because he's better than they assumed and is a starter already.

-The concerns about the DTs are overblown. They're swearing they're going to let them play upfield and if that is the case, the DTs are above average. Broughton can't stop the run and positivity around him feels like bullshit to press the other guys to up their game for snaps. 

-EDGE is the biggest problem on defense. There should be less concern about it. This was not explained in detail to me as to why I should be less concerned about the position.

-LB is much improved. No studs, but they'll be a hell of a lot better than the mess last year. The transfer is tiny dynamite.

-Secondary looks really good but could be zero sum with the fact that they know a lot of the plays coming at them and Ewers does not give a fuck in practice about trying to thread the needle.

-If they play Bama tough and show sparks on offense, they could go on to be a team that gets substantially better as the season goes on. Traylor will have UTSA playing violently and that comes off of Bama, so Tech is the biggest game of the year. Win the first conference game to go 3-1, then beat a lost WVU team at home and figure out what OU is made of in Dallas. 

Geez. I don't care how much talent we have. Talent is only part of this complete breakfast. Guys gotta learn the playbook and work on technique. Coaches have to coordinate all the pieces, teach, scout out the opposition, self-scout, come up with a great gameplan and call good plays.

We're known to be weak on experience at the two positions that need it the most. We've already seen some really shit gameday coaching and shit staff communication.

And as the 2010 Chargers discovered, special teams matter.

So yeah. 10 wins is smokin' crack.

With all the talk of how much Sark sucks, I was curious about whether it's better to have an elite offense or defense and be mediocre on the other site. At least over the last few years, lopsided teams with elite defenses seem to have a higher floor than teams with elite offense/bad defense. A top 10 defense and bad offense probably means you are going to finish with 9+ wins and ranked pretty high. Aggy was the worst team with an elite defense last year at 7-4 followed by Clemson and Wisconsin with 9 wins each. It's not as clear with elite offenses. Oklahoma and Ohio State were led by cocksuckers the only elite offense/non-elite defense teams to finish in the top 10. Tennessee was top 5 on offense, 55th on offense, and finished 6-6. On the flip side, there are teams like BYU and Wake Forest that were really good on offense, sucked on defense, and finished with pretty good records.

That's a long way of saying maybe we win, maybe we don't, maybe OU can go fuck itself.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, Sark has talked up Broughton in media sessions multiple times this summer -- seems like Sark's way of trying to light a fire under Sweat and Coburn.  

What does that say about the two senior DL, especially if Sark must resort to that type of tatic? This is their contract year and you would expect them to be self-motivated. 

I guess since the y know the depth under them is light and unproven, they're coasting thru camp.

17 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

With all the talk of how much Sark sucks, I was curious about whether it's better to have an elite offense or defense and be mediocre on the other site. At least over the last few years, lopsided teams with elite defenses seem to have a higher floor than teams with elite offense/bad defense. A top 10 defense and bad offense probably means you are going to finish with 9+ wins and ranked pretty high. Aggy was the worst team with an elite defense last year at 7-4 followed by Clemson and Wisconsin with 9 wins each. It's not as clear with elite offenses. Oklahoma and Ohio State were led by cocksuckers the only elite offense/non-elite defense teams to finish in the top 10. Tennessee was top 5 on offense, 55th on offense, and finished 6-6. On the flip side, there are teams like BYU and Wake Forest that were really good on offense, sucked on defense, and finished with pretty good records.

That's a long way of saying maybe we win, maybe we don't, maybe OU can go fuck itself.

I am not seeing that.

Georgia #4 in pts per drive

Ohio state #1

Bama #6

Coastal Carolina #2 

Utah  #9 

WKU #3 (9 wins)

Wake #5

UCLA #7 (8 wins)

OU #8

BYU #10

apologize for being out of order, but just looked at it. 8 of the top 10 had 10 or more wins. 

On the flip side #10 Minnesota (9), #4 A&M (8), #5 Wisconsin (9), and #8 PSU (7) didn’t win 10 and were top 10 in pts allowed per drive 

One year certainly isn’t enough evidence to make a definitive claim, but last year certainly doesn’t back up your claim 

Edited by Codaxx

13 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

whether it's better to have an elite offense or defense and be mediocre on the other side.

This brings Bama vs LSU 2011 to mind. Elite defenses with a mediocre offense (in my opinion).

There's something about smothering an opponent and wearing them down by running over them.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t remember that but I’m a drunk.  I think ctj hated the hire 

Yeah that is what he said above. So I’m wrong but I’m willing to double down. I’m thinking he must have been more optimistic after the staff was announced. My memory is usually pretty good but maybe I missed a JK at the end of his positivity.

2 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

What does that say about the two senior DL, especially if Sark must resort to that type of tatic? This is their contract year and you would expect them to be self-motivated. 

I guess since the y know the depth under them is light and unproven, they're coasting thru camp.

As a manager of many years, it's shocking the shit that needs to be done to motivate grown ass adults 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

image.gif.508c1b6b0c11f6091a03ff878d065e42.gif

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This brings Bama vs LSU 2011 to mind. Elite defenses with a mediocre offense (in my opinion).

There's something about smothering an opponent and wearing them down by running over them.

Bama was 19th in pts per drive and #1 pts allowed per drive. LSU was 22nd and #2. I wouldn’t call either mediocre based on that 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

As my six-year-old says, "LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOO!!!!!".

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not having kicker is worth a loss by itself.  Our two safeties have a combined 10 starts.  One got run the fuck over by Caleb Williams and the other is 188 lbs.  One of the starting corners was bullied all year on the edge because he's 5'9 185.  At least our starting mike from FCS, who's apparently better than anything behind him, has a whole 30 lbs on that guy at the same height.  We have nobody who has ever legit set an edge but maybe the doughy looking true freshman can do it.  All DT's not named Murphy don't understand leverage and pad level and routinely get washed out by competent OL blocking schemes.  Two true freshman starters on the offensive line and a Soph who's never started a game.   A center who was routinely caved in by any nose tackle on an NFL radar.  A QB who has never thrown a pass in a game.  Get. the. fuck. out of here with that shit.

image.gif.4567a7ad98db326ba1795c90da7e7b2a.gif

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Gonna be chucking threes from downtown and dunking on fools this year.

Don’t forget hanging on the rim and then when we let go of the rim, we land squarely on top of them, knocking them to the ground….. but we don’t fall down ourselves.  No we don’t.