2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

I was beginning to have issues with CTJ and his Sark dislike, but his last post makes me like him again.  I haz confuse, but regardless we are going to fuck8ng win and shock the Haters! 🤘

We are so close, but so far.  Days feel like years and the only waterholes in this desert are either filled with Koolaid or tears.

i prefer the koolaid.  My mix is Heradura Reposado, 50/50 with burnt orange JUICE!

• Hook 'Em 1

For those who think Sark is a trash coach…

I’m not exactly sure where ctj stands: Immediately post Meyer, he seemed to think Sark was a pretty decent hire. Now it seems more like 6 loss Steve. Personally, I think if the coaches can recruit, the results will follow. And recruiting now is primarily NIL which requires alumni support.

You know, I wasn’t a huge fan of Mack. I thought he was a below average coach and an excellent manager. In the beginning of his tenure, I thought a CEO coach could be successful. A decent number of ex players disagreed and we all know how things turned out.

So back to Sark. He can recruit as long as he gets support. His offense is good. The question is whether he can make the correct hire on D. I think he will be successful here if given the chance. We will be pretty good this year as long as injuries remain in check. And that will be enough to keep the current recruiting class and improve on it. Then, with all the young talent, the rest should take care of itself. The one caveat is that we are joining the SEC so the competition will improve as we improve.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I’m not exactly sure where ctj stands: Immediately post Meyer, he seemed to think Sark was a pretty decent hire. Now it seems more like 6 loss Steve. Personally, I think if the coaches can recruit, the results will follow. And recruiting now is primarily NIL which requires alumni support.

Maybe because since then he went 5-7, lost 6 in a row, and to KU at home.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I had the chance to talk to a buddy who has been to multiple practices and every person on this thread except the clown that thinks NFL scouts make a bunch of money would trust this buddy's unvarnished takes. And he's not prone, ever, to positive hyperbole with UT football.

-This is a 9-3/10-2 regular season team. If Sarkisian lets these guys fall apart to anything under 8-4, they should fire him before Thanksgiving. This team has more talent than anyone in the Big 12 this year. Give me TCU's WRs and someone else's kicker, and I'm not sure what other group is outpacing what Texas has. TCU vs Texas at WR might be a wash anyway.

-Bijan gets all of the hype, but he's better this year than anything we saw last year. It's hard to believe. He could be starting in the NFL this season. 

-The backfield overall is just terrific.

-You're going to be better at TE and it isn't even close. 1-4 at that spot are better than anything they've had out there since I can remember.

-Thompson is going to drop some passes, but he's also going to catch a few that are behind the defense. He could wind up with 6tds this year averaging 50 yards/td and also average 2 drops/game. 

-Cain is not going to be a star but he is going to give you consistent catches. Milton has great hands but the injuries have killed his athleticism. He's an asset though and Sarkisian will use him right.

-Ewers is going to be awesome. He's going to throw a bunch of what-the-fuck picks trying to figure out where he can whip it and where he can't, and he'll remember those for about as long as it takes for him to get to the sideline. In one side of the mullet and out the other in no time. 

-They didn't miss on one guy on the OL and they know it. There will be 3 freshmen OL starters super soon and another is probable this year. Robertson is physical and will be a good center if his shoulders hold up. Agbo and Neto are more physical than they feared. Williams needs a little work in pass pro but is the starter at RT soon. Banks is not a freshmen and Hutson is the guy they're really surprised by, because he's better than they assumed and is a starter already.

-Kicker is a major fucking problem.

-The concerns about the DTs are overblown. They're swearing they're going to let them play upfield and if that is the case, the DTs are above average. Broughton can't stop the run and positivity around him feels like bullshit to press the other guys to up their game for snaps. 

-EDGE is the biggest problem on defense. There should be less concern about it. This was not explained in detail to me as to why I should be less concerned about the position.

-LB is much improved. No studs, but they'll be a hell of a lot better than the mess last year. The transfer is tiny dynamite.

-Secondary looks really good but could be zero sum with the fact that they know a lot of the plays coming at them and Ewers does not give a fuck in practice about trying to thread the needle.

-If they play Bama tough and show sparks on offense, they could go on to be a team that gets substantially better as the season goes on. Traylor will have UTSA playing violently and that comes off of Bama, so Tech is the biggest game of the year. Win the first conference game to go 3-1, then beat a lost WVU team at home and figure out what OU is made of in Dallas. 

-This staff is using outlets to send signals to players on a daily basis.

Hmmm.  Basically exactly what I’ve been saying for the last week. Down to edge being the only truly hopeless position and kicking game gonna suck but all the pieces are there everywhere else to be better than more or less everyone on the schedule down to saying 10 wins is much more likely than the clowns predicting 5-7. 
absent injuries buttfucking us or brutal OSU style officiating if we don’t win 9 games Sark is just awful as a head coach. 

LOL that people think CTJ was putting his opinion in that post and are confused. 

I trust this eval a little more because the TE tidbit we basically know to be true ahem, somehow, ahem. I had a feeling that Bijan had transformed into something beyond especially with the consistency of reporting how often he just isn't played in scrimmage/game scenario in 11 on 11 and the change in his interview demeanor as of late. This is the most exciting thing, I can't wait to see him run the ball this year. 

Everything else is honestly why I'm concerned with the team not winning games. I think if sark finds a way to lose games instead of turning them into blowouts we can get into a pickle with the players actually putting in maximum effort which turns into big negative slides. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Need the combination of deep threat and improved line play to help so that bijan can get to the LOS clean more often, to give him a chance in space. Instead of having to work magic beginning 3 yards in the backfield.  

On the other side, average linebacking and some semblance of a pass rush. Please. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 4

I had the chance to talk to a buddy who has been to multiple practices and every person on this thread except the clown that thinks NFL scouts make a bunch of money would trust this buddy's unvarnished takes. And he's not prone, ever, to positive hyperbole with UT football.

-This is a 9-3/10-2 regular season team. If Sarkisian lets these guys fall apart to anything under 8-4, they should fire him before Thanksgiving. This team has more talent than anyone in the Big 12 this year. Give me TCU's WRs and someone else's kicker, and I'm not sure what other group is outpacing what Texas has. TCU vs Texas at WR might be a wash anyway.

-Bijan gets all of the hype, but he's better this year than anything we saw last year. It's hard to believe. He could be starting in the NFL this season. 

-You're going to be better at TE and it isn't even close. 1-4 at that spot are better than anything they've had out there since I can remember.

-Thompson is going to drop some passes, but he's also going to catch a few that are behind the defense. He could wind up with 6tds this year averaging 50 yards/td and also average 2 drops/game. 

-Cain is not going to be a star but he is going to give you consistent catches. Milton has great hands but the injuries have killed his athleticism. He's an asset though and Sarkisian will use him right.

-Ewers is going to be awesome. He's going to throw a bunch of what-the-fuck picks trying to figure out where he can whip it and where he can't, and he'll remember those for about as long as it takes for him to get to the sideline. In one side of the mullet and out the other in no time. 

-They didn't miss on one guy on the OL and they know it. There will be 3 freshmen OL starters super soon and another is probable this year. Robertson is physical and will be a good center if his shoulders hold up. Agbo and Neto are more physical than they feared. Williams needs a little work in pass pro but is the starter at RT soon. Banks is not a freshmen and Hutson is the guy they're really surprised by, because he's better than they assumed and is a starter already.

-The concerns about the DTs are overblown. They're swearing they're going to let them play upfield and if that is the case, the DTs are above average. Broughton can't stop the run and positivity around him feels like bullshit to press the other guys to up their game for snaps. 

-EDGE is the biggest problem on defense. There should be less concern about it. This was not explained in detail to me as to why I should be less concerned about the position.

-LB is much improved. No studs, but they'll be a hell of a lot better than the mess last year. The transfer is tiny dynamite.

-Secondary looks really good but could be zero sum with the fact that they know a lot of the plays coming at them and Ewers does not give a fuck in practice about trying to thread the needle.

-If they play Bama tough and show sparks on offense, they could go on to be a team that gets substantially better as the season goes on. Traylor will have UTSA playing violently and that comes off of Bama, so Tech is the biggest game of the year. Win the first conference game to go 3-1, then beat a lost WVU team at home and figure out what OU is made of in Dallas. 

7EA6BB77-F0F2-4DAE-A175-F69CCB8ED4C4.gif

• Haha 4

I wouldn’t take the 9-10 win total prediction as gospel, but it’s cool that he sees potential with the team. 
We know we have talent, but they are young in many key spots. We are also lacking at edge and will struggle to get pressure unless DMo  plays himself into a second day pick. Ethan Burke provides hope, but can’t rely on him yet. Would be nice to get something out of Ovie this year.

It also fails to take other teams into account. Is he watching those guys too? Our guys need to learn how to win, then be able to sustain that level of play when they are expected to win. They will also need to not have a massive emotional drop off between Bama and UTSA. 

I was at 9 wins with Neyor/Angilau, I believe we should be fine with 8 unless it’s really really ugly. (Lose to KU/UTSA, OU blowout, multiple blown big leads, etc.)

Edited by Atticus

erection GIF

Son of a bitch...I already smoked my cigarette you bastard. 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Hmmm.  Basically exactly what I’ve been saying for the last week. Down to edge being the only truly hopeless position and kicking game gonna suck but all the pieces are there everywhere else to be better than more or less everyone on the schedule down to saying 10 wins is much more likely than the clowns predicting 5-7. 
absent injuries buttfucking us or brutal OSU style officiating if we don’t win 9 games Sark is just awful as a head coach. 

Not having kicker is worth a loss by itself.  Our two safeties have a combined 10 starts.  One got run the fuck over by Caleb Williams and the other is 188 lbs.  One of the starting corners was bullied all year on the edge because he's 5'9 185.  At least our starting mike from FCS, who's apparently better than anything behind him, has a whole 30 lbs on that guy at the same height.  We have nobody who has ever legit set an edge but maybe the doughy looking true freshman can do it.  All DT's not named Murphy don't understand leverage and pad level and routinely get washed out by competent OL blocking schemes.  Two true freshman starters on the offensive line and a Soph who's never started a game.   A center who was routinely caved in by any nose tackle on an NFL radar.  A QB who has never thrown a pass in a game.  Get. the. fuck. out of here with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not having kicker is worth a loss by itself.  Our two safeties have a combined 10 starts.  One got run the fuck over by Caleb Williams and the other is 188 lbs.  One of the starting corners was bullied all year on the edge because he's 5'9 185.  At least our starting mike from FCS, who's apparently better than anything behind him, has a whole 30 lbs on that guy at the same height.  We have nobody who has ever legit set an edge but maybe the doughy looking true freshman can do it.  All DT's not named Murphy don't understand leverage and pad level and routinely get washed out by competent OL blocking schemes.  Two true freshman starters on the offensive line and a Soph who's never started a game.   A center who was routinely caved in by any nose tackle on an NFL radar.  A QB who has never thrown a pass in a game.  Get. the. fuck. out of here with that shit.

We won’t playing the 85 bears 14 times this year dude. We are going to be better than everyone other than Bama talent wise. 

13 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thank you for the kindly words, Nicole44.  It's a crazy thing.

I try to promote your fabulous and historically recognized (by both Texas House and Senate) Twitter account because it is awesome!!! It’s one of the main reasons I joined the Twitter so I could follow your Traces of Texas tweets. So cool!!! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everything else is why I'm concerned with the team not winning games. If sark finds a way to lose games instead of turning them into blowouts we can get into a pickle with the players actually putting in maximum effort which turns into big negative slides. 

Really like Immamac's comment here about blowouts.  Winning big and getting more playing time and reps for backups is how depth is built.  It also reduces the chances of injuries to starters.  Hopefully this is something we get to enjoy more this season.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We just need a kicker who makes >95% of his PATs. 4th down in opponents territory we should go for it every time unless it’s 4th and 15+. I’m sure some new age analytics out there would agree somewhat 

From what I hear punting situation is just as bad so may as well amend this to just go for it unless 4th and 15+ if outside of their red zone.

Edited by Skipper

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It's all boner fuel, but I'd like to hear more about this. 

They know the players read the updates, they use the outlets to push buttons. Other programs are famous for it, particularly Saban's.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Do you wanna just pay up now?

That record prediction is what I'm passing on. Not my own view. In any event, what bet did I make around the season total? I don't think I made one formally when Wulaw was pushing for it. I don't normally bet others on season totals.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

For those who think Sark is a trash coach…

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Maybe because since then he went 5-7, lost 6 in a row, and to KU at home.

Immediately post Meyer, I said Sarkisian was a terrible hire. It's on this board in one of the threads celebrating the move the day it happened. I said something like "It's a shit hire, so here's hoping he can bring in an excellent hire with the staff and maybe give us a prayer at winning for a while. " Something like that. Nothing's changed for me. I think it was a weak hire, there's no reason lately to see it any differently, and the early returns are overall pretty grim.

Do I want to see the program excel? Yes. Do I care if it is Sarkisian or not? No, although he's here now, so I'd prefer he figure it out more anything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

They know the players read the updates, they use the outlets to push buttons. Other programs are famous for it, particularly Saban's.

That record prediction is what I'm passing on. Not my own view. In any event, what bet did I make around the season total? I don't think I made one formally when Wulaw was pushing for it. I don't normally bet others on season totals.

Immediately post Meyer, I said Sarkisian was a terrible hire. It's on this board in one of the threads celebrating the move the day it happened. I said something like "It's a shit hire, so here's hoping he can bring in an excellent hire with the staff and maybe give us a prayer at winning for a while. " Something like that. Nothing's changed for me. I think it was a weak hire, there's no reason lately to see it any differently, and the early returns are overall pretty grim.

Do I want to see the program excel? Yes. Do I care if it is Sarkisian or not? No, although he's here now, so I'd prefer he figure it out more anything.

You were emphatic about not making a bet with anyone on season totals. As a gentleman I will settle for a Wulaw was right and I was wrong after we shatter the 7 win Steve barrier. 
mom a serious note thanks for the update. What you said is happening as relayed to you fits what I think should happen with the off-season talent acquisition in many key places as well as having a really special RB room. Injuries or consistent fuckery from the stripes could hurt. I also never underestimate our ability to step on every rake in the yard. 
I think Sark is plus as a coordinator and plus plus as a play caller. Against this schedule and with this talent I think it gets us over the 7/8 win hump but  I’m very open to the idea I’m wrong and willing to be mocked if that’s the way it ends up. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So stories about Burke being good actually nean that Sorrell and Finkley are bad?   Makes more sense now.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

No shit.  I'm sure the staff told our bona fide pessimistic scout "hey we're trying to motivate this guy by telling Bobby Burton his backup is coming on."  Right.

They're not a scout, folks missed that joke. They could be if they wanted to be and have certainly been offered over the years. 

18 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I try to promote your fabulous and historically recognized (by both Texas House and Senate) Twitter account because it is awesome!!! It’s one of the main reasons I joined the Twitter so I could follow your Traces of Texas tweets. So cool!!! 

Here, here.  Traces is one of my favorite follows.

It’s requirement for any Native, and even those of you who “got here as fast as you could”, as they say…🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

So stories about Burke being good actually nean that Sorrell and Finkley are bad?   Makes more sense now.

I don't really know what specific examples exist for this, but I certainly got the impression that the Broughton updates have been geared more towards who is taking reps behind him than about the premise that he's suddenly come on. He's a good guy for the program, but the touting of him by the staff to the outlets has seemed really weird. This guy saying "Broughton is a liability in the run defense, I don't see him getting a ton of reps." makes me feel like the head scratching over Broughton is more about Coburn, Sweat, whomever. 

End of the day here my only bitch with the naysayers on here:  if you want to predict 5-7 or 6-6 cool, you do you- you might well be right. But don’t tell me that this teams ceiling is 7-5. They have a very real and very defensible argument for winning 10 or 12 games this year (counting big 12 title game and bowl game). 2-1 should be guaranteed in non conference. 7-2 isn’t some insurmountable hurdle in this conference. Do that and you have 2 more games to get to 10 or 11 wins. Gabe everything break right and you go 10-2 in the regular season and could get to 12 as an outside stretch goal. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3