2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

22 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Called "Seven Win Steve" like it's all he could possibly be.  Zero room for nuance.  The UW program he inherited averaged 2.4 wins in the 5 seasons prior to him taking over and winning 5, 7, 7, 7 and 8 games.  He inherited a USC program that was down to 44 scholarship players in the bowl game before he took over.  Believe the scholarship count was at like 65 in his first season in which he won 9 games.  What it would've ended up like if not for his personal failures, who knows.

Until Washington plays the game like Oregon, it is going to have trouble recruiting in Cali to get the talent level needed to win.

Really? Tell me about our safeties. And our corners were only serviceable. Our EDs and LBs were the worst that I have seen on the Forty. Our QB was shitty. Our offensive line was mediocre for a middling Big 12 team. Worthy had absolutely no help. And our team as a whole lost any semblance of trying after OU. That doesn’t sound like a team with high potential. That sounds like a team that makes you want to perform Seppuku. 

You are responding to a post about “talent” and how the record didn’t necessarily correspond to our crappy record.

Our safeties are probably a good reference here. They left many plays on the table. It wasn’t due to a lack of physical talent though. Foster. You remember him knocking the piss out of people as a frosh? I mean biggest hitter as a frosh since…………..Accomplished as a high school RB. Schooler’s Pro Day was stellar. Played both sides of the ball at two major division 1 schools. Thompson was the least talented but struggled to finish certain plays. Now as to what was the issue, who the hell knows. I suspect all the volatility in their careers was a big reason.

It is very unlikely that any other Big 12 team had safeties with more physical gifts than ours. They did not play to the best of their abilities for whatever reasons.

Our edge guys were physically gifted enough to earn scholarships at Alabama, LSU, and Notre Dame. That does say something. Even being backups at those places probably means your physical traits are top 5-10% of dudes out there.

And when you have 4th quarter leads against 3 teams that won over 30 games between them, it isn’t a talent issue.

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I can’t find any shorts that I like. Grammatica had some but they changed material and fit. I have some golf style shorts which are okay when I’m thin but not when I put on weight. Scrubs are kind of the same way. They went from cotton to some quick dry stuff that doesn’t hold its color and doesn’t look as nice.

I went through that quick-dry phase, but I'm back to cotton and linen clothes. So much more comfortable... I have some quick dry shirts for golf, that's about it.

27 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I'll be labeled a sunshine pumping Sark apologist but I still think it's way too early to tell what we have in Sark.  

Called "Seven Win Steve" like it's all he could possibly be.  Zero room for nuance.  The UW program he inherited averaged 2.4 wins in the 5 seasons prior to him taking over and winning 5, 7, 7, 7 and 8 games.  He inherited a USC program that was down to 44 scholarship players in the bowl game before he took over.  Believe the scholarship count was at like 65 in his first season in which he won 9 games.  What it would've ended up like if not for his personal failures, who knows.

Saban went on a 4 game death spiral and lost to UL-Monroe at home in his first season.  Is it also a statement of fact that a good coach couldn't possibly do that?

Lets just be patient and see.  Sark has the endorsement of several elite football minds.  He knows as well as anybody what a elite program looks like.  And whether you want to give him credit or not for recent recruiting / NIL / portal windfalls, it is also a statement of fact that he is accumulating elite talent.  

Damn it. We will have none of that optimism here, buddy. Get on board with being a little bitch like everyone else, or get out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Our edge guys were physically gifted enough to earn scholarships at Alabama, LSU, and Notre Dame. That does say something. Even being backups at those places probably means your physical traits are top 5-10% of dudes out there.

We started an edge who is actually a LB that didn't get a scholarship anywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I'll be labeled a sunshine pumping Sark apologist but I still think it's way too early to tell what we have in Sark.  

Saban went on a 4 game death spiral and lost to UL-Monroe at home in his first season.  Is it also a statement of fact that a good coach couldn't possibly do that?

Lets just be patient and see.  Sark has the endorsement of several elite football minds.  He knows as well as anybody what a elite program looks like.  And whether you want to give him credit or not for recent recruiting / NIL / portal windfalls, it is also a statement of fact that he is accumulating elite talent.  

Damn it enough with this reasoning, logic and common sense bullshit. I keep telling you fuckers this is Surly where that shit will not be tolerated.

go away gtfo GIF

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. Lots of people on here. Loudly and stupidly.  

6 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

I think it’s relevant now to point out that saban went 6-6 in his first season at Bama.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

And then 12-2 in his second. Sarks very very good off-season should give him a mulligan for the failures of year 1.  Got to deliver this year. 

One of the things I've seen "loudly and stupidly" thrown out there since Seven Loss Steve's faceplant in 2021 is the tired trope that every fanbase tosses out there when their new coach buttfucks the first season, and that trope is "NICK SABAN LOST TO LA MONROE AND SUCKED IN HIS FIRST YEAR AT BAMA!!!". 

Get.The.Fuck.Out.Of.Here. with that lazy shit and thread-clogging nonsense. Come up with something new. Hell the Aranda Baylor comparisons are at least a little more creative. Sarkisian isn't going to be the greatest of all time. He's shown nothing to merit a Nick fucking Saban comparison, whatsoever, as a HC with 7+ seasons as a HC under his belt.

Nick Saban had won a national title already when took over the Bama dumpster fire. Christ. This off the rails nonsense about winning 12 games after what we witnessed last season is worse than the thoughtless negativity about lack of OL and DL portaling. It's just fantasy, not grounded in anyone's reality, isn't a bookend possibility, and it just fucking muddies the water on the thread.

Go start a "Jacking Off To My Steve Sarkisian Performance Fantasies" thread if your fucking hard-on about this shit needs a safe place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of the things I've seen "loudly and stupidly" thrown out there since Seven Loss Steve's faceplant in 2021 is the tired trope that every fanbase tosses out there when their new coach buttfucks the first season, and that trope is "NICK SABAN LOST TO LA MONROE AND SUCKED IN HIS FIRST YEAR AT BAMA!!!". 

Get.The.Fuck.Out.Of.Here. with that lazy shit and thread-clogging nonsense. Come up with something new. Hell the Aranda Baylor comparisons are at least a little more creative. Sarkisian isn't going to be the greatest of all time. He's shown nothing to merit a Nick fucking Saban comparison, whatsoever, as a HC with 7+ seasons as a HC under his belt.

Nick Saban had won a national title already when took over the Bama dumpster fire. Christ. This off the rails nonsense about winning 12 games after what we witnessed last season is worse than the thoughtless negativity about lack of OL and DL portaling. It's just fantasy, not grounded in anyone's reality, isn't a bookend possibility, and it just fucking muddies the water on the thread.

Go start a "Jacking Off To My Steve Sarkisian Performance Fantasies" thread if your fucking hard-on about this shit needs a safe place.

Hahahahahaha

Plus, we all know that loss to UL-Monroe was Major Applewhite's fault. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Damn it. We will have none of that optimism here, buddy. Get on board with being a little bitch like everyone else, or get out. 

2 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Damn it enough with this reasoning, logic and common sense bullshit. I keep telling you fuckers this is Surly where that shit will not be tolerated.

go away gtfo GIF

Lumping these in with the rest of the Saban comparison nonsense. Y'all should start the Sarkisian Fantasies thread with Wulaw.

There's no "reasoning, logic and common sense" attached to some notion that Sarkisian is the next Saban and we're about to be pointed straight up. It's fine to want that to happen, but admonishing others for seeing the actual fact set and simply saying "It doesn't look good" is bullshit.

This guy has a resume. He has a history. He shit himself repeatedly last year. Getting mad about people tempering their expectations and calling them whiny bitches and so forth is bullshit.

Trying to gaslight other posters with some dipshitted notion that we lack data to draw conclusions is bullshit.

I say all that gladly hoping that the team kills it this year, but hope is not a strategy and sunshine-pumping nauseating.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The ceiling on the team last year was playing for a conference championship and possibly winning it. 

No one is talking about the ceiling not being high here. They are talking about a coaching staff that can't turn that ceiling into a reality. 

This is the difference between a Saban and a Sark. Saban teams floor and ceiling are at most 2 wins apart. 

Sark can apparently go on 6 game slides and poof goes his floor. Good coaches don't go into death spirals and lose bowl eligibility to Kansas at home. That is a statement of fact. Sark was a bad coach last year. Does that mean he will be a bad coach this year? Everyone here is sure as fuck hoping not. 

I fervently hope he learned from last year’s glaring mistakes - like he did after sobering up from the USC debacle.

Getting mad about people tempering their expectations and calling them whiny bitches and so forth is bullshit.

Maybe just wait until we see some results on the field this season before we all go off on the doom and gloom. Like it would kill everyone to just fucking wait and see. Yeah, last year sucked. Yeah, this year might suck again. But would it kill everyone to wait a few weeks before we are clamoring to shut it down and start looking for yet another coach? I think quite a few people here just want to get their licks in so they can come back if and when we have to fire yet another coach, just so they can point back and say, "See? I called it!"

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

I feel like the last year and a half since Sark was hired has been a constant murmur of "Dude sucks. I hope I'm wrong" and similar variants. You don't hope you're wrong. You hope you're right so you can continue to cling to your binary view of the world. If Texas wins a lot this year, it's going to be thanks to Bijan and the team. If Texas loses a lot, it's because Sark is bad and he should feel bad. 

It's all getting old. Older than Armybrat.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Something notable about us vs Kansas… ever since Strong got here they’ve always played us tough. In fact in the past 7 years the largest margin of victory was when strong beat them by 39 points in 2015. Of course he lost the next year, Herman won by 15 in 2017, by one TD in 2018, and by the last second FG in 2019. No game in 2020 & we all know what happened in 2021. 

Moral of the story: bet on KU to cover this year.

Edited by Helobious

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t need a safe space for anything man.

It’s like you’ve glossed over the fact that I called his first year a failure and said I was mentally  starting the fire Sark thread in my mind. I have no illusions or excuses for him shitting the bed repeatedly. I said as much. 
my question to you is this- did he, or did he not mail the off-season in your mind?  To me, everything that happened from Kansas State on has been really really positive. And thanks for your help in that by the way!  
we shall see.  Every media outlet in the world is saying any thing could happen for this Texas team. And that’s reasonable. It’s dumb for our fan base to have anything set in concrete for the year. Hell- your guy was calling this a 10-2 team waiting to happen that Sark is sandbagging people on. Unless you made it all up and it’s an elaborate troll. If that’s true it’s an amazing troll. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Sark made a mistake by not continuing the Tom Herman tradition of handing his players poker chips and making them drop the chips in a bucket before the team ran onto the field to signify they were "all in."

I think a good deal of the lazy, uninspired play was simply the players confusion over whether they were supposed to go all in or fold.

Pretty easy fix imo 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I feel like the last year and a half since Sark was hired has been a constant murmur of "Dude sucks. I hope I'm wrong" and similar variants. You don't hope you're wrong. You hope you're right so you can continue to cling to your binary view of the world. If Texas wins a lot this year, it's going to be thanks to Bijan and the team. If Texas loses a lot, it's because Sark is bad and he should feel bad. 

I do think he sucks and I hope I am wrong and will relish eating crow.  Usually when I have a feeling like this about a Texas coach it is proven true.

We had dipshits defending Charlie Strong his last year.  Same with Shaka.  When it was glaringly obvious both were absolute failures.  He is not quite to that level yet, admittedly.  But his track record overall and at Texas means any prediction of success is basically a blind leap of faith.

He is one hell of a coordinator.  Elite.  And PK has a track record of being elite as a DC.  So success is not impossible like it was glaringly obvious to anyone with an IQ over room temperature a couple seasons in under Strong and Shaka.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

I do think he sucks and I hope I am wrong and will relish eating crow.  Usually when I have a feeling like this about a Texas coach it is proven true.

We had dipshits defending Charlie Strong his last year.  Same with Shaka.  When it was glaringly obvious both were absolute failures.  He is not quite to that level yet, admittedly.  But his track record overall and at Texas means any prediction of success is basically a blind leap of faith.

He is one hell of a coordinator.  Elite.  And PK has a track record of being elite as a DC.  So success is not impossible like it was glaringly obvious to anyone with an IQ over room temperature a couple seasons in under Strong and Shaka.

Well now that I know you have a feeling, I'm convinced. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Maybe just wait until we see some results on the field this season before we all go off on the doom and gloom. Like it would kill everyone to just fucking wait and see. Yeah, last year sucked. Yeah, this year might suck again. But would it kill everyone to wait a few weeks before we are clamoring to shut it down and start looking for yet another coach? I think quite a few people here just want to get their licks in so they can come back if and when we have to fire yet another coach, just so they can point back and say, "See? I called it!"

I don't have an issue with being optimistic. Have at it. Folks who are grounding their view based on what they've witnessed have the same right to their position. 

As to the "people just want to go back and claim they called it" premise, it's absurd. There isn't a sane person on this thread that wouldn't trade a national title run for something trivial like thinking Sarkisian was a bad hire. Not one. You guys type stuff like that to rationalize why your outlook doesn't mesh with others who are applying history to their outlook.

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Actually, no, again, incorrect. No actual Texas fan wants to see Sarkisian fail so they can claim foresight. That's logically idiotic and you can't support the premise without incorporating emotion in place of reason to uphold your position. Sarkisian was a terrible hire on paper. Indefensible. That's reality. Expecting people grounded in that to instead say "wow, what a hire huh? here we go!" is your problem with expectations. Nonetheless, one can still bluntly view the hire as terrible, and 2021 as further support for that view, and hope like hell that the future gets better with Seven Loss Steve at the helm.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Something notable about us vs Kansas… ever since Strong got here they’ve always played us tough. In fact in the past 7 years the largest margin of victory was when strong beat them by 39 points in 2015. Of course he lost the next year, Herman won by 15 in 2017, by one TD in 2018, and by the last second FG in 2019. No game in 2020 & we all know what happened in 2021. 

Moral of the story: bet on KU to cover this year.

I'm about to go mortgage my house and put it all on Texas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We started an edge who is actually a LB that didn't get a scholarship anywhere.

Started gives the implication that it was more than a one time deal. That same guy didn’t even play every game (and not due to injury), was 5th on the team of edge guys with snaps played and only received that many due to injury. Two of three referenced played approaching 3x as many plays as the non-scholarship guy. And one might wonder why the 3rd guy didn’t play more.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lumping these in with the rest of the Saban comparison nonsense. Y'all should start the Sarkisian Fantasies thread with Wulaw.

There's no "reasoning, logic and common sense" attached to some notion that Sarkisian is the next Saban and we're about to be pointed straight up. It's fine to want that to happen, but admonishing others for seeing the actual fact set and simply saying "It doesn't look good" is bullshit.

This guy has a resume. He has a history. He shit himself repeatedly last year. Getting mad about people tempering their expectations and calling them whiny bitches and so forth is bullshit.

Trying to gaslight other posters with some dipshitted notion that we lack data to draw conclusions is bullshit.

I say all that gladly hoping that the team kills it this year, but hope is not a strategy and sunshine-pumping nauseating.

Talent trumps all. If you put together NIL deals we will be fine. I wasn’t thrilled with the Sark hire but I think he put together a very strong staff and he addressed a plethora of our issues as a team. He has things moving in the right direction. 

We sucked last year, but I don’t think Sark is a potato. He can at least run an offense. Let’s look at it another way. What makes Sarkisian average? Is he disorganized or lazy? Does he not know how to bring in a good staff on defense? Is he a worse Xs and Os guy than Mack Brown? Where does he need to get better?

• Hook 'Em 1

Pointing out relevant facts isn’t wrong. Plus, regarding Sark, we should probably wait a couple years before losing our collective minds one direction or another.

He’s modeling a bunch of what he does now off Saban, worked for Saban, and is recruiting very well.
Of course he’s not the GOAT, and may never amount to anything, but maybe, just maybe, he can be more successful than any coach we’ve had since the ‘00 decade Mack Brown.

He has the two best QBs this decade (according to recruitniks) at or coming to Texas. His Oline recruiting looks on point. His Dline recruiting is adequate. He’s focused on the right things with recruiting in mind.

He won’t go 12-2 this year, but he doesn’t need to, he just needs to show

3 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Of course he’s not the GOAT, and may never amount to anything, but maybe, just maybe, he can be more successful than any coach we’ve had since the ‘00 decade Mack Brown.

And if we don't leave the Big12 until after next year, Sark has the opportunity to win as many Big12 titles as Mack Brown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

16 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Poor, over-reduction of the sentiment. Literally said what the fuck when I read the headline. It was a surprising and high risk hire.

I put hope in the redemption story and was met with last season. Unprepared and out-coached for Arkansas. It was evident half way through the 2nd half of OU the team wasn’t going to sustain the lead. Then total team meltdown. One of the most embarrassing losses in our school history against Kansas. Historically bad defense. A ton of quit.

We can twist our brains as much as we want for hope, but at the end of the day, I have experience leading people and quit/unit dysfunction is a symptom of poor leadership. Glossing over it in setting expectations has no value - face the fucking tiger.

Sark is good in aspects of the job, but he has not yet shown he’s good enough in all aspects. It’s possible to hope he’s introspective enough to learn and grow, but still anchor expectations to what is know.

@Wulaw Horn post on offseason objectives met is solid. Much of the hopes and dreams mentioned here are not.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t need a safe space for anything man.

It’s like you’ve glossed over the fact that I called his first year a failure and said I was mentally  starting the fire Sark thread in my mind. I have no illusions or excuses for him shitting the bed repeatedly. I said as much. 
my question to you is this- did he, or did he not mail the off-season in your mind?  To me, everything that happened from Kansas State on has been really really positive. And thanks for your help in that by the way!  
we shall see.  Every media outlet in the world is saying any thing could happen for this Texas team. And that’s reasonable. It’s dumb for our fan base to have anything set in concrete for the year. Hell- your guy was calling this a 10-2 team waiting to happen that Sark is sandbagging people on. Unless you made it all up and it’s an elaborate troll. If that’s true it’s an amazing troll. 

This isn't a freewriting forum for stream of consciousness posts, Wulaw. These posts are hard to follow and somewhat tedious. Glad to see you started your own thread for the Sarkisian masturbatory sessions though.

• Haha 1

I feel like the last decade or so has left us all so beaten down that we are incapable of knowing when we are on an upward trajectory.  Maybe we are.  Maybe we are being ear fucked.  Who knows.

Kind of like the dorky guy said on the last episode of The Office.  We need a way to know it is the good old days of getting better before they are gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't a freewriting forum for stream of consciousness posts, Wulaw. These posts are hard to follow and somewhat tedious. Glad to see you started your own thread for the Sarkisian masturbatory sessions though.

I'm making the case.  Coherently.  I'm either going to take the worlds biggest victory lap afterwards or take a massive loss bringing on major mockery.  Shrugs emoji. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Talent trumps all. If you put together NIL deals we will be fine. I wasn’t thrilled with the Sark hire but I think he put together a very strong staff and he addressed a plethora of our issues as a team. He has things moving in the right direction. 

We sucked last year, but I don’t think Sark is a potato. He can at least run an offense. Let’s look at it another way. What makes Sarkisian average? Is he disorganized or lazy? Does he not know how to bring in a good staff on defense? Is he a worse Xs and Os guy than Mack Brown? Where does he need to get better?

Does he know how to foster a culture of toughness in his players?

Can he make adjustments in the 2nd half?