2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't think PK is a dumbass, but if you don't think there were some legitimate WTF moments last year on defense that had zero to do with scheme, personnel or effort... then you were watching a different football team than I did.

Excited Lets Go GIF

I'd probably contend the fuck-ups due to personnel and effort outweighed the play calling, but there was a healthy amount in both directions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no qualms with Sarkisian choosing to build the foundation of both lines with HS players getting a lot of reps and PT. They are the foundation, then you supplement with the portal once the foundation is set. You don't build the foundation from the portal.

I just laugh at the hand-wringing over Mathis. The dude is not an elite talent, and good enough to replace the development and PT that will be given to our freshmen class of DL.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Good that Sweat is playing well. The note that Tapp and Burke look good is probably more a function of our offensive tackles, though.

Burke was already beating Christian Jones like a drum in a couple of the videos from open practice and I heard he gave Kelvin Banks some trouble at times. At this point, any EDGE that can't get by Christian Jones should never be considered for playing time. My hope is that beating Banks is a much bigger deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

You are making it clear you agree with Sark and don't want to sign transfers for our o-line & d-line. A few points:

- The only season we've had worth a shit out of the last 12 we had a transfer at Left Tackle

- Bama signed an o-lineman through the portal & Ohio State signed a d-lineman through the portal, both of whom will start this season. I guess those schools don't know how to build a program or to get to the playoffs.

- Both Baylor and Kansas signed lineman through the portal before last season and beat us. 

- It is possible to recruit freshmen well AND to get portal transfers to keep seasons from being disasters

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The only thing that can save this thread is if the social media team releases the clip of Bijan’s one handed catch that the 9.95ers keep referencing. 

Well, not save it but at least it may distract us for a half of a page or so. 

Not the practice clip, but the new report is no surprise ...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

how are coaches that have been here a season and a half in a position to say that's sweat's effort and consistency have been the best since he's been on campus (for four years)?  fucking august camp vague koolaid reporting never fails.  at least no one called him a "grown ass man."

Hey, completely making up a bunch of vague shit from thin air, attributing it to non-existent imaginary sources, and mixing it in with some coachspeak is hard work.  Sometimes the details get overlooked.  Anyway, fuck off and pay me my $9.95.

This play is pretty good encapsulation of the Texas defense in 2021. Did not love the call in that situation. Amazingly neither LB is touched on the play and neither touch the RB. If Ford makes a reasonable play or if Ojomo and Gbenda arent in the same hole, maybe the call doesnt matter.  If there is better call, maybe the LB play does not matter. 

I’d agree. This is part the issue with the safeties. Situational football. In spite of the call, they can cheat downhill and be more aggressive too.

Another, more frustrating play to me, was the previous drive. We’re up. 2nd and 10 on our 46. PK gets Foster in the backfield, unblocked. The ball is run right at him. 20 yards later he’s tackled. 100% completely on the player.

The defensive calls didn’t always put them in the best positions, but they weren’t good at making the plays that were there or minimizing offensive gains when they should have.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So it sounds like the best pass rusher on the team is a true freshman, described here last week as a "link of sausage". 

Personally I find him to be a magnificent specimen. The body type that every Surly poster strives for. 

10808792.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,o

I don't think PK is a dumbass, but if you don't think there were some legitimate WTF moments last year on defense that had zero to do with scheme, personnel or effort... then you were watching a different football team than I did.

I’m not arguing your point. But remember the TCU drive in 2020 after Ingram fumbled at the 1.

3rd and 7. If TCU gets a first down, game over. Stearns makes a tackle 8 yards downfield. The defensive call may have had him too deep. But he should have it work.

Manny Diaz years ago versus WVU. He had his free safety 15 yards deep with them running the ball trying to run out the clock.

Point being coaches and players alike do dumb shit. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes not.

During the fourth quarter of the Oklahoma State game and the entire Kansas game PK made Greg Davis look like Bill Walsh. He had great defenses before but he is certainly not above criticism. I will stick with my prediction that he is fired halfway through the season. I think we still go 8-4 but it will be bumpy. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Damn y'all really piling on EB. Kid's going to be an animal in a couple years. Just needs to fill that huge frame out. 

For comparison - Breckyn Hager was 6'2" on a good day. I'd imagine Burke is an honest 6'5"+ being listed at 6'7". 

I love Burke, he is just in his awkward phase. I just hope he has a JJ Watt transformation.

EuDxZPKWQAkeCPa.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn y'all really piling on EB. Kid's going to be an animal in a couple years. Just needs to fill that huge frame out. 
For comparison - Breckyn Hager was 6'2" on a good day. I'd imagine Burke is an honest 6'5"+ being listed at 6'7". 

What if we got a Collin Oliver type year out of him? Or Tapp?

I don’t think that will happen, but it does reflect possibilities of what a true frosh can do. I’m not certain on Oliver’s role at OSU but thought he was most a situational pass rusher.

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That's actor DJ Qualls who is actually gay in real life. I liked his performance as Shelby in Hustle N Flow. As Anthony Anderson's character stated, "Not bad for a light skinned."

He also starred in “The New Guy” which was all filmed in the Austin area. It’s a corny flick, but had some entertaining moments from what I recall

Edited by perfectchaos007

8 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I just thought it was funny resemblance. Nothing meant to be bad about it.

Filmed at old Del Valle High School.

"High school is a lot like prison: Bad food, high fences; the sex you want, you ain't gettin', the sex you gettin', you don't want."

image.png.60fe6bcb28f3491e73de5f8bf7aa67db.png

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

What if we got a Collin Oliver type year out of him? Or Tapp?

I don’t think that will happen, but it does reflect possibilities of what a true frosh can do. I’m not certain on Oliver’s role at OSU but thought he was most a situational pass rusher.

I'm not expecting him to make any meaningful contributions but I'm assuming he'll get mop up duty and could shine there assuming we blow 2-3 teams out. 

I'm still Missouri about Sark.  Wasn't crazy about the hire,  but after we struck out with SubUrban,  anybody was going to be a disappointment.  

I think just getting the Tom Herman stank out of the locker room will be a pretty big team improvement. 

Got some recruiters on the staff,  it's time for the coaches to step up.  

1 hour ago, Shaggyhorn said:

That’s debatable, but yes, an indication of how silly the last few pages have been. At this rate, there will be a premeditated attack on another Surly poster by the time the season rolls around.

Nah. No one would ever show up to race CTJ in a 40. Ain’t nobody going to attack anyone. 

16 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I'm still Missouri about Sark.  Wasn't crazy about the hire,  but after we struck out with SubUrban,  anybody was going to be a disappointment.  

I think just getting the Tom Herman stank out of the locker room will be a pretty big team improvement. 

Got some recruiters on the staff,  it's time for the coaches to step up.  

Same. I could see his best case scenario being something like Mack’s tenure (in this scenario, his offenses kick ass and the defenses are good enough, kind of like OU in the Riley era, he keeps hiring good coaches, brings in tons of talent, etc), and I could see his worst case scenario being something like Strong’s tenure (in this scenario, he actually completely sucks as a coach, can’t keep talent in the program, etc). Either would surprise me to an extent.

My expectation is that neither extreme scenario happens and he’ll be somewhere in between, 8-4-ish most years, with a breakthrough top-10 year here and there (if he’s around long enough). That sounds ok right now, but we all know it won’t be ok for very long.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I just laugh at the hand-wringing over Mathis. The dude is not an elite talent, and good enough to replace the development and PT that will be given to our freshmen class of DL.

This take is dog shit. Mathis is a two-time All-Big 12 DE and expected to be third-team All-Big Ten by PFF this season. Last season’s defense was one of the two or three worst in school history, and a substantial part of that was having the worst edge play I’ve ever seen. I bet you’re one of those Westlake honks who thinks some white bread JAG is going to be more impactful in his freshman season.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

My expectation is that neither extreme scenario happens and he’ll be somewhere in between, 8-4-ish most years, with a breakthrough top-10 year here and there (if he’s around long enough). That sounds ok right now, but we all know it won’t be ok for very long.

So, somewhere between Lane Kiffin and Jimbo Fisher?  The list of proven college coaches that deliver better than what you describe is incredibly short.  Nick Saban (unobtainable), Urban Meyer (eliminated), Kirby Smart (dream on), Dabo Swinney (nearly unobtainable), Brian Kelly (new contract), and Lincoln Riley (new contract).  A coach that can routinely pull 8-4 in the SEC is a great QB away from a title.    

Edited by bejezuz

10 minutes ago, Sal said:

This take is dog shit. Mathis is a two-time All-Big 12 DE and expected to be third-team All-Big Ten by PFF this season. Last season’s defense was one of the two or three worst in school history, and a substantial part of that was having the worst edge play I’ve ever seen. I bet you’re one of those Westlake honks who thinks some white bread JAG is going to be more impactful in his freshman season.

His handle is HTownHorn. Last time I checked, there is no Westlake in the Greater Houston area. 

Edited by UDontKnow