2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Last year sucked. Kansas sucked. 

Still I think a case can be made our offense and offensive recruiting is on a much better trajectory than under Herman. 

Herman did not prioritize OL like this staff.

So the big question is can he get the defense to improve?

if that happens cigars all around, if not bring on the next guy I guess. 

On 8/21/2022 at 8:36 PM, Goodman said:

Such a lazy comment for an industry guy. How many more games and season do you suggest it'll take Card? QE & that OL is what we have, that's what you go with. No one is expecting a title run. 

I wasn't saying Card would be better. Even Gundy says it takes 15 games for a QB to settle in. Also I don't know if you've seen Longhorn internet, but people always say "conference championship is possible." I'm saying with the youth on this team 9 wins would be amazing. I'm expecting 7 regular season wins. Sorry to shit in the Kool-Aid. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Next year, though, we're beating Bama in Tuscaloosa.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The reality is that Texas whiffed on Meyer, ironically in part because we had no infrastructure in place to funnel money to players and Meyer told us we would never compete for future national titles without gearing up to compete on that front, and then Brian Kelly told Texas he wasn't interested but for a contract like we'd allegedly offered Meyer. So Texas reacted brashly, tired of the whole thing and ready to show Herman the door, and they hired the likeable Seven Loss Steve. If everyone could go back in time, but have NIL and the 5-7 season knowledge in their heads, Meyer takes the job and Kelly gets the big offer if he doesn't. But, here we are.

This isn't English. I've tried to make sense of it, but no, you're going to have to try harder to help us read your gibberish.

This post presumes that "the football community" has some sort of value as an intellectual collective, yet, they don't. Therefore, what I will say about "Dark" is that he's yet to validate that idiot's gaggle for having that much confidence in him.

What about kubiak and Matt campbell?   

we didn’t have the infrastructure for urban and allegedly he didn’t want to deal with that 

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't English. I've tried to make sense of it, but no, you're going to have to try harder to help us read your gibberish.

Steve Sarkisian has a winning record in 6+ seasons as a head coach. I get that he might not be DKR. but all I said was that he is competent.

However:

1. My was stripped out of context of my post plus the response. My bad, I probably should have attached my original post there.

2. The post was not even directed towards you, so why be such an asshole?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I don't like comments like this. No one around here expects us to go undefeated. I would like to see us beat Iowa State and Kansas in the same season. It is highly unlikely Sark can pull that off this year.

Fair enough. I just didn't think it was an insane comment to make that Sark is a competent Head Coach, mediocre at worst. I thought he had at least proven that.

If your basic run-of-the-mill head coach cannot win here, that's a problem. It shouldn't require unusual excellence to do that.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Fair enough. I just didn't think it was an insane comment to make that Sark is a competent Head Coach, mediocre at worst. I thought he had at least proven that.

If your basic run-of-the-mill head coach cannot win here, that's a problem. It shouldn't require unusual excellence to do that.

I think the honest evaluation on Sark is he is a very good, maybe great OC. He has not shown the ability to run a program, which is a different skill set. I have no issue with people believing he can be a good HC or those that think it is impossible. I hope he has learned from his mistakes and he becomes a great HC, but at this juncture it is merely hope. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, NoName said:

how so?

one dude got a job less than 30 days later. he left with issues but didn't light up his entire career on fire when let go by Texas.

one dude is now with CBS Sports Network, 8 months after losing his last job as an off field analyst for a shitty NFL team.

Sark was hired by Nick Saban.  

Strong was hired by Urban Meyer. 

Herman? 

And yes, Sark's career was certainly impacted by his relationship with alcohol.  He's taken every step to mitigate that.  We all know that his performance at UW and USC was all done under-the-influence.

We also all know sure as fuck that Herman has had his own alcohol issues, and he's a giant cunt too. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

What about kubiak and Matt campbell?   

we didn’t have the infrastructure for urban and allegedly he didn’t want to deal with that 

They talked to Kubiak. I have forgotten the story, but I want to say Cal McNair rec’d him to Eltife or some shit. I don’t remember. If it is important for entertainment purposes, I can ask to hear it again. At the time, it was infuriating to hear about and there was legitimacy to the mutual interest. 

Matt Campbell’s agent and the money had already agreed to high level terms the prior year and Del Conte balked, wanting to give Herman another year to “prove himself”, which worked out well. Campbell turned down the Lions job about a month or so later for like $8million/year and decided to focus on pursuing a conference title and legacy at Iowa State. He then proceeded to shit himself under the pressure of expectations and ISU fans proceeded to call me a liar and motherfucker and claim to this day that Sweet Matt Campbell will never leave there. Now that we can see that he’s great as an underdog and can’t handle pressure, I think Ames is a perfect spot for him too. 

34 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Steve Sarkisian has a winning record in 6+ seasons as a head coach. I get that he might not be DKR. but all I said was that he is competent.

However:

1. My was stripped out of context of my post plus the response. My bad, I probably should have attached my original post there.

Why does a post have to be directed at a poster in order for them to respond to it? I was just hoping to understand as much of what’s posted in the thread as possible, and you posted in Esperanto or something.  

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

However:

This isn’t the NFL. Every game isn’t the same.

Strip away the cupcakes and he’s one game over .500 in conference, with 2.5 seasons of having a talent advantage over most of the schedule at Texas and USC. And probably more in the later Washington years, because yes, he did recruit some good talent.

Sark has a chance to change the narrative this year and next; but nine seasons in as a HC, his body of work at Texas and elsewhere does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

And for the record, I would absolutely love to be proven wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Herman? 

And yes, Sark's career was certainly impacted by his relationship with alcohol.  He's taken every step to mitigate that.  We all know that his performance at UW and USC was all done under-the-influence.

We also all know sure as fuck that Herman has had his own alcohol issues, and he's a giant cunt too. 

Uhhh, about the question mark on Herman and who hired him….

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Herman? 

I mean Herman’s career was influenced by alcohol as well

4 hours ago, Rhinotx said:

What's last year's record if Sark kept Ash instead of getting PK?

people thinking Ash was some kind of a savior are absolutely delusional. He had Ossai, Graham, Chris Brown, Sterns, and a healthy Jacoby Jones. He finished about 13 spots higher than PK in DFEI. And Ash’s scheme relies heavily on the DL to win 1 on 1s. You can easily argue Ash would’ve been just as bad in 2021. 

The real question is what if Sark could’ve reeled in one of his top picks for DC, like Muschamp or Odom? Probably about 2-3 more wins last year and would better addressed DL/edge in the offseason and we’d be talking about a different program trajectory right now. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Is it begrudgingly if you’ve been spouting the same depressing sentiment (however justified it may be) for months?

Yes, because I want sark and this team to be good. I want them to play for a bit xii title. I want them to not get absolutely shit lasted by Alabama. 

I just have nothing indicating any of those things are actually the most likely outcome other than hope and sunshine pumping. 

Yes, because I want sark and this team to be good. I want them to play for a bit xii title. I want them to not get absolutely shit lasted by Alabama. 
I just have nothing indicating any of those things are actually the most likely outcome other than hope and sunshine pumping. 

Once the team starts playing football there will be new things to indicate things. Until then we can only look at what we know. Sark has turned the roster over for the better, and finger blasted the 9.95ers. The team seems to be managed well and a youth movement is the right direction here.

I can believe people are criticizing sark, I’m surprised people are claiming Mensa and strong were better coaches. While I fully grant that mensas resume is better than sarks, Mensa did not run a good program and he did not recruit well, he also wasted ehlinger who was a good player for us. His power spread was stupid and he was full of himself.

The cheap thing about the sark is a shitty coach take is a few wins and it all disappears. No skin in the game.

Fuck Mensa at least strong ran 5 miles and lifted weights with the bros.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Sports without hope defeats the purpose. Fill an enema with some aggy level delusional koolaide and flush that negativity right out of your system. You’ll need room for it after week 2.

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

Well of course not. You don't know anything about how the team has progressed since the end of last season. None of us do. No one outside the coaching staff has any idea. All we've seen is an end of spring exhibition where everyone is just trying to get it over with healthy to start their summer and a bunch of fan fiction bullshit spouted by charlatans whose entire financial stake is in getting people to pay for their bullshit about this team. 

Other than that we've added the top ranked QB in the (original) 2021 class, a ton of legit offensive linemen and several legit transfers. Sure it's still a rebuilding year but the roster looks a hell of a lot better today than it did 365 days ago. And now that they can actually buy teams outright there's no reason to believe the talent level won't shoot to the moon soon.  

Edited by Hermanator

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Well of course not. You don't know anything about how the team has progressed since the end of last season. None of us do. No one outside the coaching staff has any idea. All we've seen is an end of spring exhibition where everyone is just trying to get it over with healthy to start their summer and a bunch of fan fiction bullshit spouted by charlatans whose entire financial stake is in getting people to pay for their bullshit about this team. 

Other than that we've added the top ranked QB in the (original) 2021 class, a ton of legit offensive linemen and several legit transfers. Sure it's still a rebuilding year but the roster looks a hell of a lot better today than it did 365 days ago. And now that they can actually buy teams outright there's no reason to believe the talent level won't shoot to the moon soon.  

Herm was 10-5 his second year.  Let’s see if sark matches that

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Reading all the 9.95 bullshit fiction warped your fucking brains. You're football Q at this point.

This makes no sense. The 9.95 guys are saying 8 or 9 wins. I would be thrilled with that. The pay site guys gloss over our real issues.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

You can hate Tom Herman all you want he never had a losing season, went and won every bowl and won a sugar bowl. 

Sark hadn't done shit except go 5-7 with the best RB in the country. 

I think you are slightly biased because you do a podcast with Tom Herman 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BERT said:

The only person you have pos repping your schtick is Satya. Just think about that for a minute.

What you call shtick, most sane people call reality.

Hilarious to see those who are so bewildered as to why people are down on Sark. In case y'all need a refresher, this was the reaction here when Sark was hired. Spoiler: It wasn't rosy.

Since then, he's coached 12 games and gone 5-7, losing to Kansas in the process. The only thing people have to cling to is A) he hired a very good staff on paper, and B) he brought in a strong recruiting class + transfers. We've seen enough talented classes thrown onto the field early, turn out to be not so talented, bust due to poor coaching/development and transfer out under Strong and Herman to not automatically take point B for granted. And we all saw enough of the Kansas game, where PK+Choate went up against another brand-new offensive staff fielding the worst, least-talented offense in all of FBS and publicly shit themselves in horrific fashion, to question point A.

We have gone through over a decade of seeing awfulness with our own eyes in the fall, then being fed rosy recruiting outlooks + training camp sunshine in the spring and fall, only to repeat the same awfulness the next fall. So yes, no one is buying this evidence-less take that Sark is already better than Herman+Strong based on a 5-7 season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Oh gee, really? You would? You like Texas winning football games better than Texas losing football games? 

Glad some of y'all are clearing this up for us. I mean to be honest - sometimes it's hard to tell.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Damn! I already posted this morning about the shit posting upthread. 

Football IQ? medium double digits maybe? this shit looks like TexAgs! Yeah, I said it.

Sark lost to Kansas.  Herman's entitled, me first, right now, players quit on him. The players he should have kept from that team would have fit on the short school bus.

If Vince doesn't run for 22 yards on 4th & 18, Vince, Mack & Texas loose to Kansas in 2004.  Should we have left them all in Kansas?

I watched DKR go 5-5-1 with Earl Campbell, Russell Erxleben, Brad Shearer, Johnny "Lam" Jones, Steve McMichael, Johnnie Johnson & Raymond Clayborn.  All-Americans.  Do you Nancy's want to take his name off the stadium?

I watched "all defense, no offense" Fred Akers, a coach that a lot of people didn't want, ditch the Wishbone and run from the "I" (one the biggest offensive adjustments in Texas history), and go 11-0 on Earl's Heisman season. That was story book, romance novel, kinda stuff, up until the last page.  Run Fred out of town too?

So, we gave a new coach a rare second chance, who happens to be an offensive mastermind btw, a chance to blend a superstar RB, w/ a top rated QB from a Texas football factory, who can "throw a football over that mountain", w/ a couple of cat quick receivers, and damn near a ton of prime beef on the OL.

Think of the possibilities.

ef061f6f-32f8-41e5-9a91-bb584b87e9b6_tex

image.png

1) Nobody “looses” anything unless they’re sailing and working with knots. 

2) DKR retired after that season because he decided to spit the bit. That’s not a good example of where we want to see the program headed. 

3) They went 11-1 in Aker’s first year and shit the bed to Notre Dame, I thought?

Anyway, have all the hope and optimism you want. Just want to make sure we’re in the same dimension with some of you cats. 

As to football IQ, the poster you’re buddying up to spent a better part of his Sunday trying to educate the board that $9.95ers don’t make any money, and if they were awesome, they’d be working in the high-paying industry of personnel scouting for NFL teams. You’ve partnered up with someone special, for sure. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This isn’t the NFL. Every game isn’t the same.

Strip away the cupcakes and he’s one game over .500 in conference, with 2.5 seasons of having a talent advantage over most of the schedule at Texas and USC. And probably more in the later Washington years, because yes, he did recruit some good talent.

Sark has a chance to change the narrative this year and next; but nine seasons in as a HC, his body of work at Texas and elsewhere does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Well he will have plenty of cupcakes here as well. Beating them is a pretty key part of being successful here. He didn't exactly get that part done last year, if he did the conversation here would be a lot different.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Well he will have plenty of cupcakes here as well. Beating them is a pretty key part of being successful here. He didn't exactly get that part done last year, if he did the conversation here would be a lot different.

By cupcakes I am referring to nonconference, which is bound to juice any P5 HC's record. His career conference record is 34-32 with the relative advantages afforded to him at Washington, USC, and Texas.

As for the bolded, well, that's kind of the point, isn't it?

4 hours ago, pacman said:

And he had the benefit of building his record and early reputation in the AAC instead of the pac-12.

Say what you will about Dark, but the football community has decided he was good enough for Washington, USC, and now Texas.

Texas has done a stellar job hiring football coaches in the last 50 years.  That’s a feather in his cap for sure.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Last years team under Herman is worse. Those quarterbacks couldn't be used as battering rams and there is no way they would have been more productive offensively. All Hermans' teams were bad at running the football without the Sam doing much of the work.

Not to mention, last year’s team wouldn’t have had Xavier Worthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hook’em.  

Count me in the camp that all facets improve this year except maybe kicking and punting.  Odds are good this happens as how can it get worse?

Agree with Vegas 8-9 wins.

Choose to be positive all you miserable surly posters.  If you’re on this message board we all know you still watch each play even Kansas losses.  I’ve raged so much over the years about the outcome of the game.  

It’s much better tuning in but with family and friends over some grilled meats and drinks and that experience is what matters.

Now let’s go stunt on some hoes.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1