2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is correct. I understood the premise as well and in universe is the defense coming within striking distance of those defensive “best case scenarios”. 

I assume you agree with the overall premise that the edge group is by far the group with the least amount of talent and the least hope for any semblance of adequacy? 

I’m not going to get twisted over the idea that somebody says the LBers have top 50 upside instead of top 30. The main point is there is at least some slender reed to grasp onto in all the other units on the team but there’s just no chance at all of anything remotely resembling mediocrity in that edge room, even under very optimistic scenarios.  
I got flayed last year saying there was nobody on campus on the defensive side of the. All that projected to be a stud past 2022, when Collins graduated. I feel slightly better about the talent level and future prospects on defense this year than I did last year. I expect the offense to be really good and the defense to be the suck, but if we can be average on defense (and that’s not a bar I’m willing to say we can clear) then 10 wins (counting potential big 12 title game and a bowl) are a possibility. 
But, a lot will have to go right for the defense to be average. 

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

Such a lazy comment for an industry guy. How many more games and season do you suggest it'll take Card? QE & that OL is what we have, that's what you go with. No one is expecting a title run. 

I think the general consensus has been, we’re fucked, no matter who we have at QB. I’m not sure why you’re calling him out for a fairly common sense comment.

1 hour ago, Rimbo said:

spacer.png

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

I understood the truth wouldn't be received well by the marks who are conned by these 9.95 liars but it needed to be said anyway. Just amazing seeing anyone defend them just a day after they were exposed as frauds once again on the QB thing.

No use expecting people to be better. Y'all don't have it in you.

Edited by Hermanator
  • Fuck You 9

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think I’ve put 5 people in adjustable rate mortgages in my entire career, all this year, while rates can no longer be considered whether doggedly lowest means in your mind. 

I do know this- if you think you can’t succeed you are bound to be correct. I’d like to think the staff is planning up ways for the defense to be adequate and hope they figure that out. 

the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rubbing of pussy on here is overblown. We played 7 games last year that could have gone either way and we went 1-6. Just better luck could have led us to 7-5. Since then we’ve upgraded at QB, WR, RB & TE. Probably on the offensive line as well. 
We shod have some addition by subtraction as well as addition by addition in the back 7. The idea that we have to cross our fingers and hope to go 6-6 this year will have to be pounded into my thick skull by reality. Might it happen?  Sure. But if the talent is better which seems reasonably likely and any strides have been made in the culture this is going to be a lot better year than most on here think. 
If not then the entire Sark era is doomed. Which could certainly be the case. 

This is sex tent attitude right here. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I took the post around the LB position group to be that the best LB on Texas was the 30th best in Big 12.

Was that wrong?? 

In all seriousness I’m looking forward to seeing what GP has done to help shore up the porous defense going into this season. 

Agree, but my gut tells me the defense will be a little better in ability but significantly better in consistency and assignments.

17 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Like we needed more proof that Herman sucked ass. We're going to have a young and exciting team, but there will be some growing pains. Obviously Sark is willing to do what needs to be done to change the culture the right way, but he might need more time than any of us want to wait. I will try to remind myself of this when we inevitably struggle and I'm pissed. 

I remember when Strong playing 10 or 11 freshmen on defense vs Baylor meant the promised land was in sight 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You continue to present hot take after hot take, and you have the certitude of someone who has been rewarded for it elsewhere historically. I’m getting a distinctly CR behavior pattern here. Is that where you typically hang out? Because just posting over and over an incorrect take as declaratively and condescendingly as you can will not make you right, it won’t wear anyone out, and you’re about to start getting negged for the bandwidth drain. 

Gerry walked from his job working as as personality at ESPN and paid work helping run programs for Under Armour to take a stake in On3 and build another network. If you really don’t understand how any of this works, what you’re really telling us repeatedly is that you don’t understand the college football landscape or its revenue streams, and you have a blind spot when it comes to this whole capitalism thing where people don’t always make a market rate salary in order to make a shit ton of money as an owner when their business model works. 

Now shut the fuck up with your uninformed, weak rhetorical trash slinging and slink back off to the shithole from whence you came. You’ve fooled no one here, you’ve simply made a fool of yourself as the dumbest motherfucker on the football board, which is saying something. 

Wtf Shocked GIF by The Maury Show

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I assume you agree with the overall premise that the edge group is by far the group with the least amount of talent and the least hope for any semblance of adequacy? 

I’m not going to get twisted over the idea that somebody says the LBers have top 50 upside instead of top 30. The main point is there is at least some slender reed to grasp onto in all the other units on the team but there’s just no chance at all of anything remotely resembling mediocrity in that edge room, even under very optimistic scenarios.  
I got flayed last year saying there was nobody on campus on the defensive side of the. All that projected to be a stud past 2022, when Collins graduated. I feel slightly better about the talent level and future prospects on defense this year than I did last year. I expect the offense to be really good and the defense to be the suck, but if we can be average on defense (and that’s not a bar I’m willing to say we can clear) then 10 wins (counting potential big 12 title game and a bowl) are a possibility. 
But, a lot will have to go right for the defense to be average. 

There's a lot more natural talent at edge than LB.  The lack of talent at LB is the very reason I pushed back on idea of that unit reaching top 30 level production, even in a best-case scenario. 

We know damn well high recruiting rankings don't equal production (or the inverse) but I think they're worthy data points in assessing raw talent.  Take a look at the pedigree of everyone in the LB room not named Overshown or Gbenda:

image.thumb.png.ee35d4991b5871ed9cfa02cc251ec816.png

5 of 7 veteran LB's ranked outside top 1200 as recruits.   Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and OU have signed 219 LB's since 2005.  Those four schools during a 18 year stretch have signed 1 LB outside the top 1200.  Think about that for a minute.

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

There's a lot more natural talent at edge than LB.  The lack of talent at LB is the very reason I pushed back on idea of that unit reaching top 30 level production, even in a best-case scenario. 

We know damn well high recruiting rankings don't equal production (or the inverse) but I think they're worthy data points in assessing raw talent.  Take a look at the pedigree of everyone in the LB room not named Overshown or Gbenda:

5 of 7 veteran LB's ranked outside top 1200 as recruits.   Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and OU have signed 219 LB's since 2005.  Those four schools during a 18 year stretch have signed 1 LB outside the top 1200.  Think about that for a minute.

image.png

Luke Brockermeyer was so bad. I cannot believe he started the majority of last year. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Well, two of those LBs are walk-ons, and another two are transfers. And I don't think that makes any difference but it makes me feel better to type it. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Even last year - the only teams that scored 35 or more were Tech, OU and Kansas. It's not like everyone was hanging 40+ on our ass. 

That’s a pretty hilarious way to try to spin things. We averaged giving up over 31 ppg. That was 93rd in the country. Teams were absolutely scoring at will on us. The only reason more teams didn’t get over 35+ on us is because they were controlling the game by running it down our throats. And it had nothing to do with number of plays. We were 93rd in points per play and 100th in yards per play. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I was told Steve Patterson was hired because he was willing to get rid of people in the AD and I believe at least a few of them are still on the 40...

BTW, I noticed there was another firing for good ol' Steve. He couldn't cut it as the CEO of the mighty Arizona Coyotes.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/2018/07/canzano_ex-blazers_ex-texas_ex.html

Holy shit he was their CEO?? He was tasked with finding them a new arena and he came up with ASU’s 5,000 seat rink, 33% of the next smallest arena

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The continued insistence that the D is going to suck is getting to be a real beating. A big part of the suckage last year was a lack of effort and missed assignments. A lot of these guys should benefit from another year in the pk system, and you'd figure whatever GP is doing behind the scenes can't hurt. Having guys out there that are actually hungry and bought in makes a huge difference. 

I'm not going to be shocked if we wind up sucking again - but I certainly don't expect to and figure we will be pretty average if not a little better than that. 

Even last year - the only teams that scored 35 or more were Tech, OU and Kansas. It's not like everyone was hanging 40+ on our ass. 

That is a little deceiving. The pace of play was way down in the Big 12.  Texas gave up 2.58 pts per possession, that was good for 95th in the country. It was shitty. 

Plays per game in the Big 12

KSU 130th
  Kansas 124th
  Texas Tech 110
  OU 107
  ISU 95
  Baylor  91
  TCU 90
  Texas  81
  WVU 62
  OSU 10

Edited by Codaxx

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The continued insistence that the D is going to suck is getting to be a real beating. A big part of the suckage last year was a lack of effort and missed assignments. A lot of these guys should benefit from another year in the pk system, and you'd figure whatever GP is doing behind the scenes can't hurt. Having guys out there that are actually hungry and bought in makes a huge difference. 

I'm not going to be shocked if we wind up sucking again - but I certainly don't expect to and figure we will be pretty average if not a little better than that. 

Helluva post, man. Really, about the most perfect Texas Longhorn fan post one could make.

11 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Imagine going to bat for a guy that burned bridges on his way out. What a tool

I mean, I guess you CAN make 6 figs at Nebraska but the on3 NIL tracker shows they have 4 total dudes making 100k+ ... Highest is Casey at $317k.

Texas has 11 at $100k+ and 3 of those are over $1M 

So...

youtube name GIF

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s a pretty hilarious way to try to spin things. We averaged giving up over 31 ppg. That was 93rd in the country. Teams were absolutely scoring at will on us. The only reason more teams didn’t get over 35+ on us is because they were controlling the game by running it down our throats. And it had nothing to do with number of plays. We were 93rd in points per play and 100th in yards per play. 

56 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is a little deceiving. The pace of play was way down in the Big 12.  Texas gave up 2.58 pts per possession, that was good for 95th in the country. It was shitty. 

Plays per game in the Big 12

KSU 130th
  Kansas 124th
  Texas Tech 110
  OU 107
  ISU 95
  Baylor  91
  TCU 90
  Texas  81
  WVU 62
  OSU 10

Alright. Fine. We sucked last year. Not going to get an argument from me. 

That just means it should be easier to improve.

Right? 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, Slacks said:

Not really a fair comp... Whomever is at NU is going to struggle. They have fallen to a depth we can only hope to not achieve... Kansas would beat them by 2TDs.

(in the 2 or 3 games I watched NU... they were traaaaaaaashboat.)

Texas Vs Nebraska would likely be a close game. They’re trash, we’re trash.

• Fuck You 7

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

This is pretty scary, actually, and a super-good explanation for why we've been sucking on defense. There's arguably no more important position group on defense to have highly rated players than LB. The difference they can make is astounding.

Jordan Hicks is a good example. He had 104 tackles for us in 2014.

The most anyone has had for us the previous few years:

2021 - Demarvion Overshown: 74
2020 - Juwan Mitchell: 62
2019 - Joseph Ossai: 90
2018 - Gary Johnson: 90
2017 - Malik Jefferson: 110
2016 - Breckyn Hager: 65
2015 - Jeter Jinkens: 75

Elite LBs make all the difference. We have had a lot of "coach 'em up" position coaches at LB over the years, but not elite recruiters. That has to change.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Criss Angel Magic GIF by DefyTV

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

This is pretty scary, actually, and a super-good explanation for why we've been sucking on defense. There's arguably no more important position group on defense to have highly rated players than LB. The difference they can make is astounding.

Jordan Hicks is a good example. He had 104 tackles for us in 2014.

The most anyone has had for us the previous few years:

2021 - Demarvion Overshown: 74
2020 - Juwan Mitchell: 62
2019 - Joseph Ossai: 90
2018 - Gary Johnson: 90
2017 - Malik Jefferson: 110
2016 - Breckyn Hager: 65
2015 - Jeter Jinkens: 75

Elite LBs make all the difference. We have had a lot of "coach 'em up" position coaches at LB over the years, but not elite recruiters. That has to change.

good competent LBs are essential to any good defense but they are generally the least important players in terms of impact and rarity. EDGE players are the most important and impactful, followed by CBs, then DTs, then Safeties. You can't have a great D without good LBs but you cant have a great D without a great EDGE player.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

good competent LBs are essential to any good defense but they are generally the least important players in terms of impact and rarity. EDGE players are the most important and impactful, followed by CBs, then DTs, then Safeties. You can't have a great D without good LBs but you cant have a great D without a great EDGE player.

Well, luckily for us we don't have good LBs or anything resembling great EDGE players, so things are looking up!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I literally hate every one of you people who capitalize every letter in edge and hope you are afflicted with the world's worst ever foot cramp the next time you're sleeping. 

literally-park-and-rec.gif

Why didn't you capitalize SAFETIES?

geeez i was just trying to be cool like everyone else, dad.