2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This thread is depressing. There are ~65 P5 teams and people are hammering someone for saying that LB group has the potential upside to finish around 30th, which is a pretty mediocre unit. 

yea. screw this shit. I'm going to the tell "me about aggy" thread.

19 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thread cleanse. I just want to point out how great Jamaal freakin' Charles was against Ohio State on this one play in 2005.

Watch closely. Vince drops back to pass but the protection breaks down. Vince is in trouble. Suddenly he sees Jamaal and tries to throw it to him but misses pretty badly on account of the Ohio State player draped all over him. A.J. Hawk intercepts. Jamaal dives at Hawk's feet and misses the tackle. At that exact moment it looked like Hawk would score. But Jamaal picks himself off the carpet in a split second and gives chase. He winds his way through traffic, HURDLES a guy, and takes Hawk down at the 17.  The intended target ended up making the tackle 23 yards down the field. The defense did its job and Ohio State had to settle for a field goal after that huge momentum swing. Jamaal was a freshman. It was his second game and it was at Ohio State. The shoe. At night.

You can't teach what Jamaal does here. It's all instinct and it happens so fast. I'll bet Jamaal didn't even have time to think about it while it was happening.

And knocked the shit out of him. 

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Tom Hermans' staffs' inability to recruit edge rushers and linebackers was astounding. It has left our defenses roaming the desert.

That's not really accurate. They recruited a fantastic EDGE and then thought it would be better for him drop back into coverage and rush the QB with a safety from 20 yards out instead .

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I literally hate every one of you people who capitalize every letter in edge and hope you are afflicted with the world's worst ever foot cramp the next time you're sleeping. 

literally-park-and-rec.gif

Why didn't you capitalize SAFETIES?

EDGE is still an abbreviation for Edge Rusher... plus when whiteboarding plays, all players are in caps... easier to view and coaches aren't switching between cases

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The "Texas is going to suck forever" shtick is such a bore. 

You gotta be borderline regard to utter the “we should automatically get better because we sucked last year” line.

You know what’s a bore? Saying the same stupid shit year after year despite being wrong every fucking time.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's not really accurate. They recruited a fantastic EDGE and then thought it would be better for him drop back into coverage and rush the QB with a safety from 20 yards out instead .

No, it is accurate. One guy doesn't make my statement inaccurate. They were terrible at recruiting those two positions. No one can deny that including you. It's almost like they didn't recruit guys for those two positions. they had to go after transfers just to fill holes. Pure desperation.

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

EDGE is still an abbreviation for Edge Rusher... plus when whiteboarding plays, all players are in caps... easier to view and coaches aren't switching between cases

It's a word, you're not a coach (best use of this sentence ever), and this isn't a whiteboard. 

Player names are in all caps on their jerseys, you gonna start doing that, too?

• Haha 2

i will never understand Orlando's thought process with dropping Ossai. I understand Ossai was the best guy on the defensive side of the ball and he was needed everywhere, but at edge (happy huck?), he could instantly make the other 10 guys better and impact every single play in a way that dropping him never ever could. it was the worst positional deployment decision possibly of all time.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i will never understand Orlando's thought process with dropping Ossai. I understand Ossai was the best guy on the defensive side of the ball and he was needed everywhere, but at edge (happy huck?), he could instantly make the other 10 guys better and impact every single play in a way that dropping him never ever could. it was the worst positional deployment decision possibly of all time.

Remember when they moved Roach to linebacker? That dude was a good pass rusher too. That and the safety blitzes from 20 yards back will haunt my memories forever. How did that cuck get another P5 coaching job is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Remember when they moved Roach to linebacker? That dude was a good pass rusher too. That and the safety blitzes from 20 yards back will haunt my memories forever. How did that cuck get another P5 coaching job is beyond me.

Lol at Maryland repeatedly running end-around sweeps while our 290 lb MLB struggled in pursuit.

Herman and Orlando looking at each other - “I don’t see a problem with the scheme. Players need to try harder.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not sure I've ever seen this before.  How does one know where to align after the coach uses four characters as a designator?

Most coaches use single characters like E B J L S H R.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

There's a lot more natural talent at edge than LB.  The lack of talent at LB is the very reason I pushed back on idea of that unit reaching top 30 level production, even in a best-case scenario. 

We know damn well high recruiting rankings don't equal production (or the inverse) but I think they're worthy data points in assessing raw talent.  Take a look at the pedigree of everyone in the LB room not named Overshown or Gbenda:

image.thumb.png.ee35d4991b5871ed9cfa02cc251ec816.png

5 of 7 veteran LB's ranked outside top 1200 as recruits.   Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and OU have signed 219 LB's since 2005.  Those four schools during a 18 year stretch have signed 1 LB outside the top 1200.  Think about that for a minute.

Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey's ranking of 4168 is a $#&#&$!@! CRIME!  He's WAY better than the guy who was 4067!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That isn't an abbreviation. It's a word. The parallel would be writing DEFENSIVE instead of  DE (or frequently just E when it's on a "whiteboard"). No one has ever done that.

It should just be E - that's consistent with other 1 letter abbreviations for positions, and there's no possibility of confusion, because the only other position on defense with an E in the abbreviation is defensive end, and that's effectively what edge is replacing anyway.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's a word, you're not a coach (best use of this sentence ever), and this isn't a whiteboard. 

Player names are in all caps on their jerseys, you gonna start doing that, too?

We really should hit up CDC about proper capitalization of both the player names on the back of, and the state name on the front of, the jersey. 

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Holy shit he was their CEO?? He was tasked with finding them a new arena and he came up with ASU’s 5,000 seat rink, 33% of the next smallest arena

Steve Patterson couldn't sell ICE in Tempe, Arizona? That belongs on his epitaph.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You gotta be borderline regard to utter the “we should automatically get better because we sucked last year” line.

Who said we're going to be better automatically? I laid out some reasons for why we should be better on that side of the ball and made the point that it actually is easier to go from playing bad defense to playing average defense than to go from average to good or elite. Especially with the talent that Texas should theoretically, at least, have on the roster. 

Your argument is what? That past results are a better indicator of what our defense this season will look like than what we are doing behind the scenes and which players are lining up for us? 

I've already conceded that it's entirely possible that we suck again on D. But if we do - it isn't going to be because BJ Foster is a loser and Luke Brockermeyer can't outrun his grandma. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

I understood the truth wouldn't be received well by the marks who are conned by these 9.95 liars but it needed to be said anyway. Just amazing seeing anyone defend them just a day after they were exposed as frauds once again on the QB thing.

No use expecting people to be better. Y'all don't have it in you.

Even Gerry, the guy who had been saying all along that it was going to be Ewers?

You're the one who needs to do better. You're the one lacking a grasp of the truth.

In short...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The "Texas is going to suck forever" shtick is such a bore. 

There is a difference between saying our defense is going to suck forever and looking at this roster and reasonably expecting us to suck balls again in 2022.

This was our defense last year:

• Points per Play - 93rd
  • Yards per Play - 100th
  • Turnovers per Game - 99th
  • Sack % - 103rd
  • 3rd Down Conversion% - 94th
  • Red Zone Scoring % - 93rd
  • Punts per Play - 85th

That wasn't a young unit being thrown into the fire.  65% of defensive snaps were taken by 4th+ year players.  

This won't be a brand new defense.  Returning players account for 72% of snaps from last season.  We have an incoming freshman class and the only two portal additions are a FCS LB and inexperienced 2nd year CB. 

Is it reasonable to expect marginal improvement due to a 2nd year in PK's system or GP being added to the mix?  Sure, maybe.   Addition by subtraction sending guys like Foster packing?  Maybe.   

I really don't think the lack of talent at LB can be overstated.  Tell me how you see that unit being materially better.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see DTB moving the needle.  Without getting significantly better at LB, I don't see the defense materially improving.   Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Rage+1 3