This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

I mean, we beat them two years ago which was nice. Sanders reverted to a turnover machine last year. If we can avoid that, we have a shot in Stillwater if things work out. Would love to go out with a W, but really doesn't matter in the long term. I'm ready for a break from that dynamic. I still think Bedlam will get played in 2030-31, and hopefully get scheduled regularly, not necessarily annually, but regular home and homes every few years. 

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I really think the OL is the key because Bowman is apparently a statue, complete opposite of Sanders with his running abilities (which as noted above also led to injuries). Everything I'm reading is that we are legit 2 deep at OL for the first time in forever. I also read that we're going under center some this year, I read it in the context of Bowman's time at Michigan where that was a big part of the offense. Not sure if they are doing it solely for Bowman or in general, but I think its not just for Bowman, as a one year major change would be odd. I remember in 2010 in one of Weeden's first games we eeked out a win against Florida Atlantic and he went under center for a kneel play and fucking fumbled it. We recovered but goddamned that could have been a fucking disaster. We've taken snaps to kneel from the shotgun every since. 

To be fair, I think Weeden's finger on his left hand was broken when that fumble happened... but then we went to the "shotgun" victory formation and everyone made fun of it at first but now everyone does it, lol.

On 8/21/2023 at 4:49 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who is an NFL scout...  was very bullish on what Bowman may do this year.   Yeah Gundy NEVER names a starter when it isn't obvious (like when Sanders, Rudolph, etc., were entrenched as multi-year starters) and I wouldn't expect that to change at all in the portal era.

Yep... Multiple QBs will play

Mike Gundy News Conference 8/24/23

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yep... Multiple QBs will play

Mike Gundy News Conference 8/24/23

Yeah this is Gundy being Gundy.

Of course "multiple QBs will play" because Rangle and/or Gunnar will come in for Bowman once we get a big lead against UCA. 

Bowman's the starter.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Watched a cowturd video with Matt Ruhle.

Ruhle said Mike Gundy was one of the more difficult coaches to go against... said Gundy does more with less.  Thinks Gundy is underrated as far as CFB coaches go.

Yeah all of the OSU twitter bros were fanatically re-tweeting that the other day.

Nice comment by Ruhle.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, sidis said:

umm, @oSuJeff97, @Homercles, @'stache, @Pokoloco

what the fucking hell?  is trixie not doing blowjobs for all the players anymore or something?

Yeah man it's a goddamn shit show and I'm not sure what to expect any more.

As you could imagine, the OSU hive mind is in complete and utter meltdown.

The defense is a work in progress as expected with the new DC and it's got the typical problems of a first-year new system where it will look really good for a bit and then have some breakdowns/misses and then adjust and be OK and so on. Like on Saturday they looked completely lost in the first half but then basically managed to stuff South Alabama for most of the second half, but that didn't matter because of the primary problem, which is the complete and utter shit show that the offense is.

And I think that is 100% directly related to the ridiculously stupid way that the QBs have been handled. This "equal" three-man rotation they have been doing has essentially not allowed ANY of the QBs to get into any kind of rhythm, and in fact just about every time one does get into a groove it's time to make way for the next guy because of the "schedule." 

They are doing the same thing at the RB position, where (for some reason) our best and most talented RB (Ollie Gordon) got 1 fucking carry in the first half on Saturday and 4 (!!!) for the game. This is a guy who averaged nearly 6 yards per carry in the first two games. He got four motherfucking carries on Saturday.

Honestly, I've been a big Gundy defender over the years but this is the most confounding thing I've ever seen. Like if the QBs are this close to the point that you can't decide then FUCKING FLIP A COIN OR SOMETHING and just go with one of them! For fuck's sake. 

There's also the issue that, according to MULTIPLE sources who watched fall/spring practice we spent almost all of our time working in a new run block scheme (adding in a strong helping of gap- vs. they typical inside/outside zone-scheme) and then also running under center. Through three games we've done almost none of that. We've also barely run any play action, RPO and we rarely have any kind of pre-snap motion. It's absolutely bizarre. Like I've never been on the "we save stuff for conference play" train - I tend to think that's an excuse for bad play for the most part - but HOLY HELL... the offense that we are running is the most vanilla of vanilla things I've ever seen ... there are literally high school offenses that do more than we have done in the first 3 games. And I'm not even talking about execution. I'm talking about VERY BASIC things like formations, route concepts, etc. It's all SO FUCKING BASIC and I'm just completely confounded by what I'm seeing.

But alas I'm an OSU fan so I'm used to confounding stomach-punch losses so on to the next one I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah man it's a goddamn shit show and I'm not sure what to expect any more.

As you could imagine, the OSU hive mind is in complete and utter meltdown.

The defense is a work in progress as expected with the new DC and it's got the typical problems of a first-year new system where it will look really good for a bit and then have some breakdowns/misses and then adjust and be OK and so on. Like on Saturday they looked completely lost in the first half but then basically managed to stuff South Alabama for most of the second half, but that didn't matter because of the primary problem, which is the complete and utter shit show that the offense is.

And I think that is 100% directly related to the ridiculously stupid way that the QBs have been handled. This "equal" three-man rotation they have been doing has essentially not allowed ANY of the QBs to get into any kind of rhythm, and in fact just about every time one does get into a groove it's time to make way for the next guy because of the "schedule." 

They are doing the same thing at the RB position, where (for some reason) our best and most talented RB (Ollie Gordon) got 1 fucking carry in the first half on Saturday and 4 (!!!) for the game. This is a guy who averaged nearly 6 yards per carry in the first two games. He got four motherfucking carries on Saturday.

Honestly, I've been a big Gundy defender over the years but this is the most confounding thing I've ever seen. Like if the QBs are this close to the point that you can't decide then FUCKING FLIP A COIN OR SOMETHING and just go with one of them! For fuck's sake. 

There's also the issue that, according to MULTIPLE sources who watched fall/spring practice we spent almost all of our time working in a new run block scheme (adding in a strong helping of gap- vs. they typical inside/outside zone-scheme) and then also running under center. Through three games we've done almost none of that. We've also barely run any play action, RPO and we rarely have any kind of pre-snap motion. It's absolutely bizarre. Like I've never been on the "we save stuff for conference play" train - I tend to think that's an excuse for bad play for the most part - but HOLY HELL... the offense that we are running is the most vanilla of vanilla things I've ever seen ... there are literally high school offenses that do more than we have done in the first 3 games. And I'm not even talking about execution. I'm talking about VERY BASIC things like formations, route concepts, etc. It's all SO FUCKING BASIC and I'm just completely confounded by what I'm seeing.

But alas I'm an OSU fan so I'm used to confounding stomach-punch losses so on to the next one I guess.

Maybe he's going to keep it all vanilla until Bedlam and then unleash it all vs. the Sooners in an attempt to hold scoreboard for the foreseeable future. Sacrifice essentially the entire season for one game to try & stick it to big brother. Would a 4-8 or 5-7 season with that win to top it off be worth it to fans?

OU fans have been saying it would be brutal but many poke fans just assumed Gundy would always churn out 8-9 wins.  This conference is ass, so going forward it’s still possible, but they aren’t competing for dick unless they dump Gundy.  That’s my educated guess.  I could be wrong but he’s a stubborn asshole and isn’t likely to change anytime soon.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, hook me said:

Maybe he's going to keep it all vanilla until Bedlam and then unleash it all vs. the Sooners in an attempt to hold scoreboard for the foreseeable future. Sacrifice essentially the entire season for one game to try & stick it to big brother. Would a 4-8 or 5-7 season with that win to top it off be worth it to fans?

He's not gonna do that and no it wouldn't be worth it.

I guess this week in Ames will be the big tell. If we come out again running this stupid-ass rotation and this Mickey Mouse JV offense then we'll know.

If we come out and have a solid looking game plan and are back to running a college-level offense then well... I'll still be pissed about how the first 3 games were handled but a little less so.

I guess the good news for us is that most of the Big 12 looks like dogshit this year anyway so we might as well join in on the fun.

• Haha 1

We’ll be okay. My ceiling was 10 wins, now 8, and probably more like 7. The qb thing is annoying. Maybe I’m just old, I don’t recall this kind of meltdown after other losses. I’m not on the fire Gundy train, it hasn’t even been a calendar year that we’ve stunk. Programs struggle, it happens, get off my lawn.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

We’ll be okay. My ceiling was 10 wins, now 8, and probably more like 7. The qb thing is annoying. Maybe I’m just old, I don’t recall this kind of meltdown after other losses. I’m not on the fire Gundy train, it hasn’t even been a calendar year that we’ve stunk. Programs struggle, it happens, get off my lawn.

Yeah I've seen Gundy pull rabbits out of hats in the past when it seemed like everything is awful so I'm definitely in the "wait and see" camp.

I've just NEVER seen a non-conference performance like what we just saw... just in terms of how the players were managed and what we were doing on the field.

It literally looked like NFL pre-season games ... like we literally didn't really care if we won or lost those games... we were just trying guys out all over the field in weird rotations that didn't seem to have any kind of connection to what was actually happening in the game.... like "Oh - so-in-so had their 4 series - on to the next guy." 

And just running the most basic of basic stuff. Like not even trying to do ANYTHING other than lining up in very basic formations and running the same 6 plays over and over.

Just absolutely fucking weird.

• Haha 1

He bitches about the portal but has used it just fine. We have an NIL program and haven’t heard him discuss it much. He has said a bunch of times that the portal has affected his QB approach which I’m starting to think means that Bowman is getting beat in practice but he doesn’t want to bring in a veteran and sit him without giving him game time. It’s super annoying and I think he’s found out it doesn’t work. I think Rangel will get the nod this week.

Show me another win on the schedule?  There isn't one.

Iowa State stinks, but their D will shut us out.

The way last season ended, losing the D coordinator, Keeping the shitty O coordinator, losing key contributors to the team....anyone who predicted a winning season knows nothing about football.  My 2-10 prediction is still solid. Although I thought the wins would be against Cent Ark and South Al. I didn't realize Arizona State was going to be the worst D1 team in the country.

Having no expectations at all has been nice. 

• Haha 1

Is there a significant difference between the 3 QBs and their ability to run a part of the offense that the others can't to justify this approach? Or is it telegraphing the plays when a runner comes in vs a thrower? Is his boy any good or is it a case where he'd only ever start at a school his dad was the HC?

Just now, 'stache said:

Bro calm down. We’re not going winless in conference especially since most teams are struggling this season. Which in Surly talk means we should merge with the Sunbelt and take  $3m tv deal with Ion TV.

Slight difference between struggling and getting skull fucked by South Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Show me another win on the schedule?  There isn't one.

Iowa State stinks, but their D will shut us out.

The way last season ended, losing the D coordinator, Keeping the shitty O coordinator, losing key contributors to the team....anyone who predicted a winning season knows nothing about football.  My 2-10 prediction is still solid. Although I thought the wins would be against Cent Ark and South Al. I didn't realize Arizona State was going to be the worst D1 team in the country.

Having no expectations at all has been nice. 

KSU is beatable at home as we saw vs. Mizzou but I don't think y'all will.

ISU, WVU, UH are varying levels of ass right there with ya so it'll depend on who is less ass on that given day.

15 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Is there a significant difference between the 3 QBs and their ability to run a part of the offense that the others can't to justify this approach? Or is it telegraphing the plays when a runner comes in vs a thrower? Is his boy any good or is it a case where he'd only ever start at a school his dad was the HC?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I feel like ive read a few things recently where he outright shits on the idea of NIL and players being paid. Doesn't seem like a realistic attitude.

Mike Gundy Reportedly Downplayed NIL in Front of Major Donors Before Season Start (defianttakesfootball.com)

In early August, Coach Gundy addressed a group of around 100 people, including the Pokes with a Purpose team, staff, and top donors of OSU. Sources say he spoke negatively about NIL, deeming it unimportant and expressing his disapproval of student-athletes receiving “A bunch of money.”

“I’ve been here for 40 years, and I can do what I want,” Gundy reportedly said, emphasizing that many of his staff disagreed with his stance on NIL.

Gundy also stressed the need for increased funding for facilities, deeming it the top priority compared to other resources, again underlining his tenure and decision-making role in the program.

Gundy’s speech and consistent opposition to NIL left top donors, PWAP staff, and the many administration members “disappointed."

I'm a man, I've been here 40 years! 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah i'm not sure if those kids are ever gonna get off his lawn. He's gonna have to adjust for that or he isn't gonna be around long. I could see him writing a book about how all this stuff ruined his gash durn college football.

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah i'm not sure if those kids are ever gonna get off his lawn. He's gonna have to adjust for that or he isn't gonna be around long. I could see him writing a book about how all this stuff ruined his gash durn college football.

I hear aggy might be looking for a new coach soon...just saying.

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He's always been an odd duck.  Okie State might have to make a tough decision this year or next.  I don't see him quitting as long as his son is there.

I suspect the next coach will agree to play OU every year.

Gundy is the answer to the question "what if Mike Leach wasn't inexplicably charming?" and the result isn't pretty once the team stops winning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Bro calm down. We’re not going winless in conference especially since most teams are struggling this season. Which in Surly talk means we should merge with the Sunbelt and take a $3m tv deal with Ion TV.

You think you can get$3 mil from Ion? I'd jump on that before south Alabama does 

• Haha 1

If Gundy doesn’t adjust, quickly, to the new landscape, he’ll fail angrily. I always figured OSU would do something stupid and eventually fire him, but he might not give them much choice, either. 

Regardless of how it goes down, Okie State has been lucky to have the guy and I expect them to go back to being a dreadful program once he’s gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Bro calm down. We’re not going winless in conference especially since most teams are struggling this season. Which in Surly talk means we should merge with the Sunbelt and take a $3m tv deal with Ion TV.

Exactly right. Most seasons this would be a shocking loss, but this year it's just another Big 12 team flailing about week after week. The Big 12 has lost to Miami of Ohio and South Alabam', and little towns all around this land. We can drop the ball and throw a pick six, and fumble and stumble over our dicks, but the Big 12 will survive. A Gundy can survive, the Big 12 can survive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If Gundy doesn’t adjust, quickly, to the new landscape, he’ll fail angrily. I always figured OSU would do something stupid and eventually fire him, but he might not give them much choice, either. 
Regardless of how it goes down, Okie State has been lucky to have the guy and I expect them to go back to being a dreadful program once he’s gone. 
I suspect Gundy rues staying at his "dream job" rather than jumping to Tennessee or whichever other school he was playing footsie with years ago. He never got over the hump at okie state, the alums & donors seem to have grown tired of his antics, & when given the option of "adapt or die" in the face of massive change he's apparently decided that lighting himself ablaze makes the most sense.

Meh. He still made a ton of coin in a poor state which will allow him to live like a king for as long as he wants. Plus he will be the standard all other football coaches will be compared to at oSu. The question is, when they unveil the statue in his honor will it feature a mullet, Oakleys, or both?

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Slight difference between struggling and getting skull fucked by South Alabama. 

Yeah.  That was the worst loss in the entire conference so far this year and by a fairly wide margin.  One of the Pokes might know better than I do, but I can't think of a worse loss for Oklahoma State since the 90s, factoring in quality of the opponent and the margin of the defeat.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No way they will ever fire him. I think I heard today on one of the local shows it would cost them $25 million to let him go. Boone Pickens isn’t walking through that door. I have a couple friends that live in Stillwater and have had business deals with Gundy, they say he is a very savvy business man around Stoolwater. Bought a bunch of land cheap and sold high.