Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

well shit fire, I stand corrected lol. Was the pass to bijan that they completed considered a TWP? The pass that he dropped just over a defender that was completed to sanders? A good DB probably makes a play on both those balls. I'm curious, who leads the NFL in TWP? 

I don't believe so - Quinn had 2 TWP's in the Oklahoma game.  I assume one was the actual interception and the other was the ball that hit the DB in the hands and was dropped.

As for NFL:

image.thumb.png.d22a958205320ab5015bf104904a833e.png

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

That is very odd statement. Most freshmen Qbs make mistakes. The job of coach is to rein those in. It is possible to acknowledge the obvious talent and also acknowledge that Quinn is making some freshmen mistakes. I guess the difference is I think Quinn is a very talented QB that is still learning the game (only played 8 quarters, so that should be obvious), but you think he is a finished product. 

This might just be semantics but I don't think the correct approach with Quinn is to rein him in. The kid is testing his limit and that's what I want to see. His limit is higher than any other QB in college football. The sooner he finds it the better. He doesn't have a whole lot of time. 

Quinn has already shown a propensity for a lot of the things that freshmen QBs need to work - commanding the offense, going through progressions, throwing the ball away when he needs to. His main learning points are going to be more reps and consistent footwork. On that second point, his footwork is excellent when he needs it to be. It's just that sometimes he doesn't need it because his arm is so good and that's when the inconsistency turns up. He missed a handful of open guys against OU but I fully trust that he and Sark will improve on that as he gets more reps. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

The prior pic to the "Take me now, Quinn" photo from Saturday.  Incredibly short fingers on the gal.  Nevertheless, would bang.

Quinn 1.jpg

Personally, I prefer a girl's fingers to be incapable of massaging my small intestine, thank you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

I just now realized that he’s essentially only played 7 quarters of football. He’s barely scratched the surface of where he’s headed.

Beyond that, he didn't play his senior year of HS, instead signing with tOSU and handing the ball off a couple of times.  The prior year (junior in HS) he only played 8 games, missing the rest due to injury.

The guy is 19 years old, hasn't played much football beyond the age of 16 and is slinging the ball like an all-conference or better college upperclassman.  (I'm trying not to overstate that last point.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

The questions on arm strength are fucking hilarious.

Who questioned his arm strength?

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

He hasn't uncorked one deep recently, which may have some morons talking about showing a lack of arm. 

Not having to show arm != Showing lack of arm.  

Yes, because he hasn’t needed to rifle it deep or quick, the foremost impression  is other positive qualities than a monster arm. 

That does not imply he has none. 

Im impressed yall decided to unify on kneejerking instead of reading. 

"That said, over all of his snaps, I didn't see that his actual arm talent (velocity, placement, touch, distance) was an obvious standout.  Maybe that's why there wasn't much reported separation between he and Card in the camp setting."

Weird that people took away from that, that you questioned his arm. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

This is what Ewers is looking at when he starts his windup on the Sanders TD up the seam.  He has already set his feet and the throwing motion has begun.  The decision to throw this pass was made a little earlier when he set his feet a fraction of a second before this.  Many QB's will wait until Sanders is at least even with the defender before uncorking, but that would allow the safety to help over the top.  Sanders appears to be on the 22 yard line at this point in time. 
Ewers1.thumb.png.ef592d0e7dd6507dc6011a30680ef444.png  

Besides the upgrade in anticipation, trusting the receiver to run the proper route, and putting the ball where only he could catch it, imagine this play with Card. He'd ignore the two receivers on the left and focus on the apparent open receiver in the middle of the field - completely missing the safety hiding behind the ref ready to pounce.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Chris threw short passes too hard and too flat.  His arm was pretty overrated.  We have three guys on the team right now with stronger arms than Simms.

He just looked great doing it I guess.  I agree we do have three guys with stronger arms.  

Another supporting anecdote.  Chris was at one of the those post season bowl games with Carson Palmer and scouts noted Palmer's arm was quite a bit stronger.

2 hours ago, Modessit said:
20 hours ago, RabidM said:
This is what Ewers is looking at when he starts his windup on the Sanders TD up the seam.  He has already set his feet and the throwing motion has begun.  The decision to throw this pass was made a little earlier when he set his feet a fraction of a second before this.  Many QB's will wait until Sanders is at least even with the defender before uncorking, but that would allow the safety to help over the top.  Sanders appears to be on the 22 yard line at this point in time. 
Ewers1.thumb.png.ef592d0e7dd6507dc6011a30680ef444.png  

Besides the upgrade in anticipation, trusting the receiver to run the proper route, and putting the ball where only he could catch it, imagine this play with Card. He'd ignore the two receivers on the left and focus on the apparent open receiver in the middle of the field - completely missing the safety hiding behind the ref ready to pounce.

Yep, Ewers is simply just a better QB for a multitude of reasons.  Card is just intent on completing the 1 pass and not looking like an ass, Quinn DGAF.  Would it shock me if Card is the better athlete and might actually have a strong arm as well?  No.

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Simms was a 3rd round pick instead of a first round pick for a reason.  His senior year was good other than the OU game, so it’s not like bad film caused him to drop to the 3rd despite having 1st round talent.  Vince (once you get past how damn weird his delivery looked) and Swoopes both had bigger arms than Simms, too.  

Ewers obviously has the most arm talent of them all, by a large margin.   That 20 yard opposite hash out against Bama and some of the seam throws into tiny windows don’t happen with really any other QB we’ve had.  Swoopes might be the closest on pure arm strength if they both wind up to uncork one, but he had nothing else. 

I had heard that Mock had the strongest arm on the team.  Maalik has a cannon as well.

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

PFF calls them 'TWP' or Turnover Worthy Plays.  These include both passes that should be intercepted or when a QB is 'careless with the ball'

Quinn is tied for 7th among Power 5 QB's in TWP% (percentage of total plays that are considered turnover worthy)

image.thumb.png.de76a5e76ae4e634aef097c0411bfdcd.png

yep. Looks about right. Quinn’s definitely been making a good amount of throws that could be picked, which is fine. He’ll improve on that over time, and you take the good with the bad. Even this early, the good vastly outweighs the bad. 

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Who questioned his arm strength?

Not having to show arm != Showing lack of arm.  

Yes, because he hasn’t needed to rifle it deep or quick, the foremost impression  is other positive qualities than a monster arm. 

That does not imply he has none. 

Im impressed yall decided to unify on kneejerking instead of reading. 

You said arm talent, not just arm strength. Quinn has shown ridiculous arm talent already that far surpasses Card and almost every other QB in college. You had a horrible take. Might as well stop while you’re way behind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The throw to JT was a beauty.  He fired it off before JT made his cut.

That said, over all of his snaps, I didn't see that his actual arm talent (velocity, placement, touch, distance) was an obvious standout.  Maybe that's why there wasn't much reported separation between he and Card in the camp setting.

What was obvious was how calm he was in the pocket.  And that helps with slowing down the game, processing the reads, and ultimately driving the team better, particularly in high pressure situation.  So I think there's more upside to be seen if/when he's in more of those scenarios.

Thank you for your expert opinion, Coach O'Brien

9 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Quinn will probably throw some picks that matter and cause a game to not be a blow out. We should all prepare for that eventuality

I fully expect J Whitt to blow up the guy who makes the pick, causing a fumble. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The throw to JT was a beauty.  He fired it off before JT made his cut.

That said, over all of his snaps, I didn't see that his actual arm talent (velocity, placement, touch, distance) was an obvious standout.  Maybe that's why there wasn't much reported separation between he and Card in the camp setting.

What was obvious was how calm he was in the pocket.  And that helps with slowing down the game, processing the reads, and ultimately driving the team better, particularly in high pressure situation.  So I think there's more upside to be seen if/when he's in more of those scenarios.

50 second mark is all you need to see.....

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Simms was a 3rd round pick instead of a first round pick for a reason.  His senior year was good other than the OU game, so it’s not like bad film caused him to drop to the 3rd despite having 1st round talent.  Vince (once you get past how damn weird his delivery looked) and Swoopes both had bigger arms than Simms, too.  

Ewers obviously has the most arm talent of them all, by a large margin.   That 20 yard opposite hash out against Bama and some of the seam throws into tiny windows don’t happen with really any other QB we’ve had.  Swoopes might be the closest on pure arm strength if they both wind up to uncork one, but he had nothing else. 

Swoopes had the strongest arm I’ve ever seen, but he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat into a lake.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet