Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

16 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Here’s the thing. That stuff didn’t happen. And the problems still exist regardless.

This post is frustrating, but you are correct about one thing.  The Rig 12 refs that didn't make two obvious PI calls are not going to do so all season long.  The same refs that somehow found an OPI away from the ball on one of our TEs early Q4 and then made a holding call on the next play to set up 1st and 40.

That stuff is going to be difficult to overcome, but we will need to because you can bet your sweet Yormark it's coming our way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

Quinn may get it turned around, he may not.  All I know is that the bill of goods we were sold stated that this was a can't miss, generational, potentially the greatest QB prospect of all time, perfect score recruit. 

Prospects like that don't struggle with basic mechanics in their second year starting under a "QB Whisperer".  They don't finish 59th in the country by QBR against fuckin Rice.  They sure as shit don't airmail routine deep balls with clockwork regularity going into their second season as starter.

Maybe he was damaged beyond repair by the lost HS senior season, lost freshman season at OSU, and the clap from some buckeye coed.  Because unless he's been purposely sandbagging and unleashes something we've never seen before for the rest of the season, we've seen what he can do.  The point is, we didn't get a generational recruit.  We got a maybe, POTENTIALLY good, standard issue QB who might someday grow into the offense.  And we need to come to terms with that.  I find that alcohol helps.

Tough to read, but might be right...

9 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Bad deep balls are a valid criticism, but I think the overall Ewers criticism seems overblown. He had a few bad plays but a lot of good ones. Biggest problem was our oline assignment fuck ups. Rice came ready to play with good tactics on defense.

You can say that again.

Right now you have to simply say that the progression that everyone hoped to see in season with Ewers simply has not appeared, thus far.  Now I can point some fingers at OL to some degree, but overall I personally don't think I saw much more in this first game that I did last season.  The glaring problem is the exact same one as last year, the deep ball.  I also think we try to force this aspect of the game to some degree, and I don't specifically blame Ewers for that, but as whose feet do I place responsibility for the inaccuracy if not Ewers?

The good news is it was only the first game. The horrifying news is this was against Rice, not the beasts of Alabama's DL.

My biggest regret about Ewers pedestrian performance is we should have been able to put in Murphy a lot earlier in a game we simply did not dominate offensively in the first half.  That was my biggest disappointment.  Now my concern shifts to how long do we stick with Ewers if we can't get a better percentage of completions on the deep balls?  This is honestly where I wonder how much Sark has learned from Saban?  If Ewers doesn't look strong versus Bama does Sark roll the dice with a change?  I think looking back at Saban's career you have to think he might put next man up a lot sooner than Sark might.

I personally hope like hell that Ewers comes out next week kicking ass.  But if we cannot compete deeper balls, Ewers is going to have the dogs coming more and more often with less and less big play downside for the bad guys.  Then again if he can make just a deep ball or two complete early it changes the game completely.  Conversely strike out on deep balls that force punts a couple times...  You get the idea.

Ewers needs to move from greatness on paper, to greatness on the field.  Or Sark is going to have to make a tough choice.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Opposing game plan should be easy. Take away the short underneath stuff like slants and out routes and Ewers is neutered. No need to worry about man coverage downfield.

Correct. If I was Saban I would just tell my DB’s to stop running with receivers after 10 yards.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. If I was Saban I would just tell my DB’s to stop running with receivers after 10 yards.

Yea, I wish Saban was a UT fan too

Nash is being too kind to QE as well, Quinn had an average game, but we had at least above average expectations. He looked jittery back there. Not as bad as Card did/does at Purdue, but much more jittery than he should be for this team to go anywhere significant.

Edited by Atticus

I'm really disappointed in Ewers progression,  but there is no such thing as a can't miss player.  Some live up to their billing some don't.  

So far Quin hasn't come close to living up the his hype out of HS.  It have a feeling Sark will stay with him no matter what.  

I'm really disappointed in Ewers progression,  but there is no such thing as a can't miss player.  Some live up to their billing some don't.  
So far Quin hasn't come close to living up the his hype out of HS.  It have a feeling Sark will stay with him no matter what.  

What exactly are your expectations?

I’d assume there is some sort of team metric there. Say wins for this year. Many probably had us 1-1 after Bama.

Ultimately, his jobs is to help us win games.

18 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

What exactly are your expectations?

I’d assume there is some sort of team metric there. Say wins for this year. Many probably had us 1-1 after Bama.

Ultimately, his jobs is to help us win games.

I'm just saying he didn't live up to his hype.  

That's not that hard to figure out is it?

I really wanted ewers to sling it around with esse for 300+ and 4-5 TDs. All WRs to get some cstches. Kinda like ahem, aggy weig. I said it here on surly and some thought if ewers threw for 300 we were in trouble. Will im hglad those idiots must be totally happy with ewers right now. I know the shitty OL play didnt help but ewers just doesnt flash greatness. He did at the start of bama ‘22. But never again after coming back. He throws more ducks than case mccoy. Hell case showed more heart and gamesnanship than ewers.
I still think he doesnt have it and the longer sark waits to give the next guy a shot the more fucked we will be.

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

ESPNs QBR is out of whack for the college level. Passer Rating/Passing Efficiency seems to be better suited. Quinn was 34th at 169.3 and would have been 15th at 206.76 if Brooks and JT dont drop that TDs. 

QBR says Chandler Morris had a better day with less than 60% completion and 2 picks. Whereas Passer Rating had him in the 80s and 50 points lower than Quinn. 

It also has the UMass having a better QBR with 51% completion with 240 yards, 0 TDs and a pick over two games. Rating has him in the 90s and 58 points lower than Quinn. 

Same with the WVU QB and a few more but let's stop with the QBR nonsense that ESPN puts out. Their system is fine tuned for the NFL. 

QBR is and always will be a dog shit stat ESPN made up

Can we at least acknowledge that one of the dropped passes should have been a TD and another one would have probably been another TD. The deep throws are obviously concerning. With that being said, why doesn't sark start with some of the underneath throws earlier. Taking deep shots and missing will mess with a QBs confidence. Let him get some confidence early and then try and take the top off. Quicker stuff will help with the Oline too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now watching my replay -- can someone explain how the play to X down the right sideline about 10 minutes in (score 7-3) wasn't a penalty on their CB 1?  I mean, he didn't make a play on the ball, he pretty much tackled X as he tried to bring in an admittedly underthrown pass.  I'm no ref, and we didn't seem to argue, but . . .

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Look guys. Quinn wasn’t top 10 in performance and he played warm bodies in rice. That’s the fucking point. Fucking milroe looked like a god damned superhero compared to Quinn I swear some people only watch Texas play. Relative performance is a real thing and Quinn relative to the rest of power 5 is objectively meh. 

My comment had nothing to do with Quinn. Just a general hate for the made up espn stat. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just now watching my replay -- can someone explain how the play to X down the right sideline about 10 minutes in (score 7-3) wasn't a penalty on their CB 1?  I mean, he didn't make a play on the ball, he pretty much tackled X as he tried to bring in an admittedly underthrown pass.  I'm no ref, and we didn't seem to argue, but . . .

but . . . Texas

40 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

What worries me are those sheepish looks for validation when he comes out of the game. Maybe he's a sweet kid and that's how he rolls, and he's fiery out there when it matters, but he looks weak and nervous and that ain't going to cut it.

It's up to Sark to build Quinn's confidence.  Quinn needs to grow up and lead this offense. 

I played football with a great athlete (our QB) that was also a starter on the Texas baseball team.  He was a shy person away from sports... put him on the football field and he was a badass motherfucker who wanted to destroy the other team.

Enough of the shy sheepish shit from Quinn

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

I agree with your first statement. On the 2nd, I will cite Alabama and OU last season. He absolutely played like a rock star in those two games.

To me, this is a mental problem -- his state of mind. His light needs to come back on, and stay on. When will that happen? Can't say when or if it will but I can say that sometimes after a full offseason there is game rust. He shouldn't have been nervous, but it sure looked like he was in the first half. OL didn't help that situation either.

I'm not giving him a pass on that, just saying if this was just first time back in the saddle after a while jitters ( run on, anyone?), he may yet hit his stride.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

that’s not the fucking point.  the point is that the throw was crap and issued by an overrated substandard quarterback.  we’re completely fucked. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

You realize that passer rating is also a “made up stat”? 

ESPN quite literally made it up randomly while trying to justify Tebow. As pointed out above it’s a joke of a metric that a guy with multiple interceptions can have a higher QBR than someone who threw none. 

QBR isn’t even recognized as an official stat by the NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

ESPNs QBR is out of whack for the college level. Passer Rating/Passing Efficiency seems to be better suited. Quinn was 34th at 169.3 and would have been 15th at 206.76 if Brooks and JT dont drop that TDs. 

QBR says Chandler Morris had a better day with less than 60% completion and 2 picks. Whereas Passer Rating had him in the 80s and 50 points lower than Quinn. 

It also has the UMass having a better QBR with 51% completion with 240 yards, 0 TDs and a pick over two games. Rating has him in the 90s and 58 points lower than Quinn. 

Same with the WVU QB and a few more but let's stop with the QBR nonsense that ESPN puts out. Their system is fine tuned for the NFL. 

df4e52a0-d54a-449b-b90a-7b236b5b49fb_tex

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

ESPN quite literally made it up randomly while trying to justify Tebow. As pointed out above it’s a joke of a metric that a guy with multiple interceptions can have a higher QBR than someone who threw none. 

QBR isn’t even recognized as an official stat by the NFL

I mean sure. If the guy with multiple interceptions had a great day running, didn’t take sacks, and pressed the ball downfield he will likely perform better than a guy who did the opposite.

It’s just another metric that is used to measure. It factors in things other than throwing that QBs do. You don’t have to like it and can think it’s suspect, but it still tells us something in regards to other players. Which was the point.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I mean sure. If the guy with multiple interceptions had a great day running, didn’t take sacks, and pressed the ball downfield he will likely perform better than a guy who did the opposite.

It’s just another metric that is used to measure. It factors in things other than throwing that QBs do. You don’t have to like it and can think it’s suspect, but it still tells us something in regards to other players. Which was the point.

It’s not a good metric period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet