Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

37 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

If I’m him i come out and trust combine/pro day. 
there are some shitty, shitty nfl QBs out there right now. 

the bolded part is what people on here don't understand. 

This is a deep class and a LOT of teams need QBs. The record for most QBs taken in the first round is 6 in 1983 and I think there's a great shot that's equaled or exceeded this year. 

There have been soooo many reaches in recent years because of the premium NFL teams place on the QB position in the draft and now we have a legit 8 QBs who would be first round picks in recent drafts. The first round is going to be bonkers. 

49 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

NFL arm, no doubt. His pocket presence and progressions need help. Dude still doesn’t see the field well enough to be successful on Sundays. 

Literally every NFL coaching staff thinks they can teach that and Quinn isn't unique in that regard. He has abilities that can't be taught and that's why he'll go in the first round and probably a lot higher than some on here expect.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

not getting drafted THIS year or NEXT year? not that it matters, because if he goes he will get drafted.

Stetson Bennett just got drafted dude. IN THE FOURTH ROUND. Max Duggan got drafted. Tanner McKee got drafted. someone named Chris Oladokun got drafted 2 years ago.

if he went THIS year he would get drafted. the only way he doesn't get drafted next year is if he has a major injury.

I'm talking 2024. There's no draft THIS year because it already happened. Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

Maybe. Some of those names that would be ahead of him this year would not have been mentioned in the same conversation a year ago. Some of those guys have played their way into the conversation this year. The same thing will happen next year with some names that we’re not talking about yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

Where are all the blowhards who repeatedly declared it was asinine that Quinn might return next year?
Such as Longhornlove? Not touching this thread as of now lol.

I still think there's a greater chance he declares than comes back, but the chance of coming back has risen as his draft stock has fallen. He was in everyone's Heisman watch list early in the season, now not even on those that go 20 deep. That could change with some great performances the next 2-3 games, but he won't be invited to NY with this much ground to catch up.

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Where are all the blowhards who repeatedly declared it was asinine that Quinn might return next year?

They're here.  Receipts do not have to be honored at this store.  Anyway the 9.95ers were the loudest blow hards about this until they weren't.  Until 3 days ago Gerry was saying "zero chance" he returns.

3 hours ago, My display name said:

Question (may have already been addressed, but couldn't find it): has there been any thoughts or info on the possibility that QE's shoulder was part of the problem with not throwing in the second half? We saw him leave the field a little early at halftime (granted there were only a few second seconds left)- safe assumption it was for more treatment (or another shot). Still trying to wrap my head around not throwing it more in the second half.

Somebody alluded to a lingering rib issue.  In any event, I think it's clear he is not 100% healthy (as much as any QB is at this point in the season).

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

We lose Worthy, JWhit, Sanders, and probably Mitchell. That's probably 95% of the passing yards. Those guys will be replaced by dudes who haven't or have barely taken any snaps nor caught passes. This was Quinn's year to make himself money. He may be better next year, our passing numbers just may not show it.

Good thing the NFL doesn't draft based on passing numbers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm still firm in the belief that Quinn is not getting drafted next year, regardless of him declaring. He still has so much to prove on the field. For those of you who think he's a first round draft pick right now, what tape are you watching? What games are you watching? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these comments. Look I'm not trying to knock the kid but he's not a first round pick. 

You watched Anthony Richardson, Kenny Pickett, Jordan love, Josh Rosen, Paxton lynch or even Jonny Manziel and thought oh for sure first round draft picks? You’re high if you Quinn doesn’t have the arm talent alone to be taken in the first round. Did I just feed a troll? Fuck 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Quinn has a tough decision to make.

On one hand, 2nd round picks still make a lot of money and theoretically he'd get to free agency sooner. And there is some risk in coming back.

On the other hand, he should improve his draft stock if he comes back, at least on paper. He's only really had 2 years of college experience and that third typically makes a big difference. It's also interesting bc he originally thought he'd be eligible for the 2025 draft (before the last-second reclassification), so in a way it would just be back to the original plan. Plus, he wouldn't exactly be starving here at UT.

I mean if I’m an NFL caliber/franchise QB I just mainly want to go to a good team in the first round. There are a lot of poorly run franchises. I wouldn’t care what number I was selected in the first round if I could go to a team with a good OLine and good head coach. Think about the bottom like 16 teams. Yikes. 

I understand wanting to be the top QB selected but honestly if you go to a team that’s not shitty your chances of getting the REAL money come with the second contract. And by then, you are a franchise QB, and hopefully kicking ass. 

I assume this story is being “leaked” for a reason(s). Not sure why it would be brought up now? I mean I speculate on shit but I honestly have no clue. 

I’m a dumb motherfucker, so take this for what it’s worth.  Based on what I’ve seen, I think Quinn would be better off in the long-run if he played another year at Texas before trying to go pro.  I think he can improve a lot and if I’m an NFL GM, I’m not overly excited about him this year.

Edited by Horn Dogg

5 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Chris is a cool guy, I met him at a couple parties back in the day and he was always willing to chat with the regular folk like myself.  

I sat next to him at the 09 championship game through a buddy who was on the team. We made fun of Greg Davis the entire time. He seemed pretty cool once he realized I wasnt going to be a pain in the ass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nix and Penix have been around so long the college game has slowed down for them. Its like a 26 year old putting up numbers in AAA, the college game is slower and it took them 5 years to catch up. Sometimes those guys make it at the next level but the safer bet is the guy that's young for his level.

Ewers is 20 years old and still adjusting to college game speed, but has much more room to grow

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Matagorda said:

Maybe the “blowhards” are why Quinn is staying? 

IMG_8600.jpeg

The one on the left was Blaine Irby's gf (wife) and I use to fuck her roommate. Significantly less attractive but her dad owned a famous steakhouse. I was never hungry. CSB.

Edited by MisterP

Quinn has a tough decision to make.
On one hand, 2nd round picks still make a lot of money and theoretically he'd get to free agency sooner. And there is some risk in coming back.
On the other hand, he should improve his draft stock if he comes back, at least on paper. He's only really had 2 years of college experience and that third typically makes a big difference. It's also interesting bc he originally thought he'd be eligible for the 2025 draft (before the last-second reclassification), so in a way it would just be back to the original plan. Plus, he wouldn't exactly be starving here at UT.
Pre-NIL I'd say there's no way he doesn't declare after this season even though his two college seasons haven't gone the way he wanted. Oh, and it's not like his fam desperately needs the money and can't wait another year either. Not everyone in Southlake is wealthy, but the floor seems to be at least upper middle class in my experience.

54 minutes ago, The Dog said:

ESPN projects SIX teams have their biggest need at QB for the next draft - and that doesn't include the Bears who almost definitely should pick someone instead of continuing to ride with Fields IMHO:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/38883052/2024-nfl-offseason-needs-positions-afc-nfc-32-teams

That would put part of the band back together.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

People forget just how dumb NFL coaches and GMs actually are

They draft on potential. I think it was Bill Walsh who said if i see a guy do something once, i can coach him to do it consistently. I personally find that to be a bit foolish, as there are a ton of other factors to consider. But that's the way the coaches and scouts see it, they fall in love with high upside. And Ewers has shown it with his arm.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Nix and Penix have been around so long the college game has slowed down for them. Its like a 26 year old putting up numbers in AAA, the college game is slower and it took them 5 years to catch up. Sometimes those guys make it at the next level but the safer bet is the guy that's young for his level.

Ewers is 20 years old and still adjusting to college game speed, but has much more room to grow

I would be especially leery about Nix.

11 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I took it as a warning shot to wait a few months before we rebudget all that NIL money.

Exactly- This is all just a move to make sure if he does come back the coffers aren't empty. If the kid plays lights out on the way out the season he is gone. Just like any other sport, the decision makers are busy right now running their own teams. Once their season is over is when they will take a deep dive into all the game film from this season. They are going to see a QB who can accurately sling all over from different platforms and different velocity levels running a legit NFL offense. Then when they take a look at the other guys they are going to see the systems that they play in hide a lot of their shortcomings.

• Hook 'Em 1

They draft on potential. I think it was Bill Walsh who said if i see a guy do something once, i can coach him to do it consistently. I personally find that to be a bit foolish, as there are a ton of other factors to consider. But that's the way the coaches and scouts see it, they fall in love with high upside. And Ewers has shown it with his arm.
There's no question if he declares he will be drafted based on potential and upside, but based on his body of work so far in CFB you know Quinn has to be asking himself how high he would be drafted coming out this year. If he comes back he will once again land on Heisman lists and have a chance to even win the thing if he improves just a little bit. Of course I don't know how Quinn or those around him think...as in I wouldn't put money on him coming back.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

There's no question if he declares he will be drafted based on potential and upside, but based on his body of work so far in CFB you know Quinn has to be asking himself how high he would be drafted coming out this year. If he comes back he will once again land on Heisman lists and have a chance to even win the thing if he improves just a little bit. Of course I don't know how Quinn or those around him think...as in I wouldn't put money on him coming back.

If he comes back he absolutely will be on the radar for lots of awards, and it has to be tempting.

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m a dumb motherfucker, so take this for what it’s worth.  Based on what I’ve seen, I think Quinn would be better off in the long-run if he played another year at Texas before trying to go pro.  I think he can improve a lot and if I’m an NFL GM, I’m not overly excited about him this year.

I'm even dumber, but I'd also think getting drafted to a team that doesn't need you to start soon would give him time to heal up and work on his craft without risk of another setback. If NFL pans out he'd be that much ahead of getting off his rookie contract as well. As much as it would be great to have him back I'm not sure that it makes the most sense for him. It's all going to come down to how he finishes and conversations he has with teams pre-draft.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matagorda said:

Maybe the “blowhards” are why Quinn is staying? 

IMG_8600.jpeg

My little brother stuck around for seven years and changed majors a dozen times and this is the reason why. Only other places I've seen with consistently equivalent talent: Tceh and Texas State.

Back on topic, 10 rookie QBs started this season in the NFL, a new record. The previous record was just four years ago (Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Gardner Minshew, Drew Lock, Devlin Hodges, Will Grier, Ryan Finley, and David Blough). You couldn't pick some of those guys out of a lineup if the other people in the lineup were all dressed as team mascots, and at least four of those guys, and maybe six, had nothing like the arm Quinn has.

If people think Quinn isn't getting drafted...what the fuck are you smoking and did you buy it legally?

If it's me, I'm thinking my contract could be $9-$12 million now and there's no telling whether I get tossed into the fire rookie season and I'm out of the league due to another injury, or I could stick around, maybe win a Heisman behind the best OL in college, make another seven figures in NIL money, have my career insured by Lloyd's, and my first contract could be $33-$35 million...among the other, ahem, perks.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, ousux said:
31 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:
Tom Perini's daughter?
Place is my favorite restaurant in the state.

Their steaks are pretty hard to top, but don't sleep on the burgers they have for lunch.

I was there last month and had one.  It was divine.  

Their Sunday chuck wagon buffet is just pure bliss.  Fried chicken.  CFS.  Mashed taters.  Veggies soaked in butter.  

Can’t do it often as it is so bad for you.  But it is delicious.  

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I've known JP for 20+ years, and she looks a lot more like her sister CP now than she used to if you catch my drift. Tom is best friends with Robert Duvall and on more than one occasion was sitting in their living room when I walked in the door.

I am honestly not shocked. They have a hell of a set up though. 

Perini Ranch is Salt Lick with good food.  It’s the very essence of Texas in a restaurant.  Unfortunately it’s in Abilene, which means I don’t go there very often, but if I am ever in that shithole of a town, I eat a meal there. Saying it is glorious would be underselling it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm even dumber, but I'd also think getting drafted to a team that doesn't need you to start soon would give him time to heal up and work on his craft without risk of another setback. If NFL pans out he'd be that much ahead of getting off his rookie contract as well. As much as it would be great to have him back I'm not sure that it makes the most sense for him. It's all going to come down to how he finishes and conversations he has with teams pre-draft.

A team that doesn’t need a QB now but probably in 2-4 seasons?  So… cowboys?

Perini Ranch is Salt Lick with good food.  It’s the very essence of Texas in a restaurant.  Unfortunately it’s in Abilene, which means I don’t go there very often, but if I am ever in that shithole of a town, I eat a meal there. Saying it is glorious would be underselling it.
Wrong, it's in tiny Buffalo Gap south of Abilene..deffo not a shithole. Lots of nice houses with plenty of space between them, and a surprising number of large trees for west Texas. Abilene (the biggest town for 100 miles in any direction) definitely has a shitholish feel, I'll give you that
  • Like 1

Just now, ousux said:
51 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Wrong, it's in tiny Buffalo Gap south of Abilene..deffo not a shithole. Lots of nice houses with plenty of space between them, and a surprising number of large trees for west Texas. Abilene (the biggest town for 100 miles in any direction) definitely has a shitholish feel, I'll give you that

Yeah.  That area from just south of Abilene too Buffalo Gap is actually quite nice.  

NIL money talks 
And also could be the X factor that makes deciding to come back much easier. I wasn't around at the time but I don't think even Chris Simms was cruising around Austin in an Aston Martin, and probably didnt have an apartment/condo quite to the level of what Quinn enjoys.