Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Just now, Gidnik said:

Anyone that thinks theyre getting a mobile qb in Maalik is going to be very very dissapointed.  Arch is the only dual threat QB on the roster and he needs another year. 

Nobody is saying dual threat. Quinn isn't a dual threat and picks up first downs with his legs when it's there. 

5 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Nobody is saying dual threat. Quinn isn't a dual threat and picks up first downs with his legs when it's there. 

Quinn has fairly good straight line speed. He is shit going sideways, but I am pretty confident he is much faster than Murphy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, 59 Burst said:
I have not. I take it from your post I’m probably not going to like what I see.

Arch is more of a dual threat than Murphy, but neither will scare teams with their legs. To be fair, Quinn doesnt either so there's that.

I have actually seen Arch play in high school. In fact I saw him play twice, and both times he got clobbered. I never put much stock into either performance. I’m not a professional coach, but if I’m being honest I really didn’t see what others apparently see.

• Drool 1

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:
21 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm not narrowing it down to one game. This isn't the first time his O has struggled.

Bingo. More or less.

I did watch the game and everyone since sark has been here. Everyone was discussing catch radius and I was saying that hasn’t been challenged much here.  Sark normally doesn’t call jump balls.  He schemes guys open, that doesn’t mean his shit always works as we’ve seen, hence the offense struggling.   Seems like that was where the discussion was going and that was what I was responding to.  

31 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

I have actually seen Arch play in high school. In fact I saw him play twice, and both times he got clobbered. I never put much stock into either performance. I’m not a professional coach, but if I’m being honest I really didn’t see what others apparently see.

Best athlete of the three.  Probably had the most tutelage?  I say we give him a chance when the time comes

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Anyone that thinks theyre getting a mobile qb in Maalik is going to be very very dissapointed.  Arch is the only dual threat QB on the roster and he needs another year. 

Him being athletic out of the pocket can help with his shortcomings as a freshman in the offense. 

37 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

hes also been killed doing it. 

Ewers is a straight line type of runner. He does really well though which is a testament of him wanting to be better overall (5 tds isn’t easy). Last year he was below average. The difference between Ewers and Manning is that Manning is more natural running with the ball. He can receive hits and cut up field better than Ewers. 

On 10/21/2023 at 7:13 PM, Dilligas said:

I’m just not sure Quinn has the mental makeup, and that is a huge part of being a championship QB. Too fucking inconsistent, how many check downs to the RB tonight? That’s not right

Lulz. Texas was running two-man routes against 7-8 in coverage with max protection. He checked it down because it was wide open.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Best athlete of the three.  Probably had the most tutelage?  I say we give him a chance when the time comes

Lol. Your opinions of sark make a lot of sense now. True freshman who played 2A football in Louisiana should get a chance because he had tutelage. The Malik should get a chance over Quinn takes were stupid enough, this is worse. If arch has to play in order for us to win then we are absolutely in a dumpster fire situation. If you’re saying he should get some garbage minutes then yeah let’s try it but other than that this is a terrible take. 

Holy shit, you guys have no idea what Texas was doing offensively yesterday.

Lulz. Texas was running two-man routes against 7-8 in coverage with max protection. He checked it down because it was wide open.

Guess I’ll need to watch again cause I don’t think we ran many two-man routes or max protection.

So max protect with 3/4 rushers? So 8 versus 3.

Holy shit is right.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

It’s amazing how people bitch when the deep ball doesn’t work, but bitch when Quinn checks down instead of throwing deep into coverage.. the only consistent is people bitch 

Umm, there are in between throws that get you the first downs. Also, people wouldn't bitch about deep balls if we could connect on some of them. You would expect our  QB1 to get it down at some point. We went from many deep throws every game to many checkdowns that were short of the 1st down marker. I would love for our QB1 to be able to do both, as needed.

33 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I like the chance of Brooks making something happen on a check down more than I like Ewers hitting worthy and it being caught.

This is a real outdated thought. Also guess you missed the absolute dime Ewers through to Worthy who *gasp* caught the ball for a TD in the UH game.

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Lol. Your opinions of sark make a lot of sense now. True freshman who played 2A football in Louisiana should get a chance because he had tutelage. The Malik should get a chance over Quinn takes were stupid enough, this is worse. If arch has to play in order for us to win then we are absolutely in a dumpster fire situation. If you’re saying he should get some garbage minutes then yeah let’s try it but other than that this is a terrible take. 

You think there’s any chance he may have had some tutelage from some hall of fame relatives?  Maybe they gave him a discount for the family camps?  Malik played at a trash school in California.  

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Umm, there are in between throws that get you the first downs. Also, people wouldn't bitch about deep balls if we could connect on some of them. You would expect our  QB1 to get it down at some point. We went from many deep throws every game to many checkdowns that were short of the 1st down marker. I would love for our QB1 to be able to do both, as needed.

There were no in between throws for the majority of the pass plays after the 1st four drives. I was talking to my dad about our layered passing scheme where Sarkisian liked to flood the same side of the field with 3 options deep, middle, flat. This was after Sanders catch that set up our 3rd TD. He was wondering why the LB didn't drift back into coverage on Sanders, and said it was because the RB was right in front of him. After that drive, for some reason we went to Worthy and Mitchell against 7- and 8-man coverages with Sanders blocking and the RB leaking out into the flats.

5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

LJH, Duvernay and Collin Johnson had a larger radius than anyone on the current team.

I’d take those 3 dudes over any WR on the team currently- including AD Mitchell. 

They could block their asses off too, unlike our current guys.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Like 1

I’m going to leave the entirety of the post. Started to delete the last sentence but wanted to give credit because that statement is accurate.

I was quite curious about the initial sentence. It’s complete and utter horseshit and you jumped somebody else’s ass with that as part of your rationale. There might have been 1 or 2 2-man routes. There wasn’t much max protect.

Sanders did pass block more than usual but only 6 out of 32 pass plays. He ran a route 26 times. Mitchell and Worthy ran routes on 35 of 36 pass plays. Whittington ran 23 routes.

Whittington played 55% of the snaps versus 52% on the season. Helm played 43% versus Houston versus 60% on the season.

I believe you did reference elsewhere that after the 4th drive is when it changed. It did not. Just watched it all again. Also on the 36 pass plays, there was an average of 4.5 routes. Assume the RB ran a route on every play, back that out, and you get 3.5 routes per play. Those are some odd numbers for max protection and 2-man routes.

But you posted with authority and confidence so I guess that’s something.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m going to leave the entirety of the post. Started to delete the last sentence but wanted to give credit because that statement is accurate.

I was quite curious about the initial sentence. It’s complete and utter horseshit and you jumped somebody else’s ass with that as part of your rationale. There might have been 1 or 2 2-man routes. There wasn’t much max protect.

Sanders did pass block more than usual but only 6 out of 32 pass plays. He ran a route 26 times. Mitchell and Worthy ran routes on 35 of 36 pass plays. Whittington ran 23 routes.

Whittington played 55% of the snaps versus 52% on the season. Helm played 43% versus Houston versus 60% on the season.

I believe you did reference elsewhere that after the 4th drive is when it changed. It did not. Just watched it all again. Also on the 36 pass plays, there was an average of 4.5 routes. Assume the RB ran a route on every play, back that out, and you get 3.5 routes per play. Those are some odd numbers for max protection and 2-man routes.

But you posted with authority and confidence so I guess that’s something.

Wtf Shocked GIF by The Maury Show

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

You think there’s any chance he may have had some tutelage from some hall of fame relatives?  Maybe they gave him a discount for the family camps?  Malik played at a trash school in California.  

So is a trash school where people go to become a Sanitation Engineer?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Yeah, I'm sure peyton and eli walked him through in camps how to be a great qb lol. He played against weak competition, his last name gets him a ton of respect, and he's a true freshman. There's a reason true freshman don't play much, especially at qb. You are willing to blow arch manning for having two hall of fame uncles but rip on the coaching staff who actually have results in their careers? If this is a schtick then you got me and well played sir. 

I need to clarify that I hope arch manning is an all american and first round draft pick one day, but hoping a freshman can take meaningful snaps at Texas this year at the qb position is regarded. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
furk

20 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yeah, I'm sure peyton and eli walked him through in camps how to be a great qb lol. He played against weak competition, his last name gets him a ton of respect, and he's a true freshman. There's a reason true freshman don't play much, especially at qb. You are willing to blow arch manning for having two hall of fame uncles but rip on the coaching staff who actually have results in their careers? If this is a schtick then you got me and well played sir. 

I need to clarify that I hope arch manning is an all american and first round draft pick one day, but hoping a freshman can take meaningful snaps at Texas this year at the qb position is regarded. 

I haven’t even said he should start.  Said nothing about him taking snaps.  I said he was the best athlete of the three and had the best tutelage.   His sphere of influence is three Hof qbs.  

as for blowing him, you may be projecting. But I’m not judging. You do you

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Has it been explained why our backup QB is all beaten up to hell?  How does that happen and what exactly is ailing him?

He is one of the biggest QBs I've ever seen and he is jacked like a Marvel superhero actor and, somehow, he strains a tendon if someone blinks too close to him.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I haven’t even said he should start.  Said nothing about him taking snaps.  I said he was the best athlete of the three and had the best tutelage.   His sphere of influence is three Hof qbs.  

as for blowing him, you may be projecting. But I’m not judging. You do you

I responded up thread that if you're saying he should get garbage time minutes then we agree and your rebuttal was he got a discount at family camps lol. That's an odd way to say you agree he shouldn't be our answer at qb right now. You also pointed out that Malik who checks notes has been in college damn near 2 years played at a shitty high school, that sounds like more comparing of the two. My bad though, I'll drop it. 

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I responded up thread that if you're saying he should get garbage time minutes then we agree and your rebuttal was he got a discount at family camps lol. That's an odd way to say you agree he shouldn't be our answer at qb right now. You also pointed out that Malik who checks notes has been in college damn near 2 years played at a shitty high school, that sounds like more comparing of the two. My bad though, I'll drop it. 

Hell he may have snuck in for free at the manning camp

dont remember at any point me advocating for arch to start or even play.  

not sure if this is a schtick but if it is well played.  I think?   

We're going to see a lot of Savion Red this week.  I look for the XW WR pass to show up again.  Sark will call a very conservative passing gameplan for MM and try to lean on the running game.  I would be surprised if we go for it in 4th and anything over a yard or two.  If we bog down with 3 and outs early I could see Arch make an appearance for a drive to see if we can get anything cooking.  The under and BYU plus the points is the play this weekend.  Need our D to step up and get MM a ton of practice before the TCU, KSU ISU run of games.

Edited by jdhorn92

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

We're going to see a lot of Savion Red this week.  I look for the XW WR pass to show up again.  Sark will call a very conservative passing gameplan for MM and try to lean on the running game.  I would be surprised if we go for it in 4th and anything over a yard or two.  If we bog down with 3 and outs early I could see Arch make an appearance for a drive to see if we can get anything cooking.  The under and BYU plus the points is the play this weekend.  Need our D to step up and get MM a ton of practice before the TCU, KSU ISU run of games.

This assumes that Maalik is going to be the starter, that may not happen.

13 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Have you seen our secondary?

He wasn’t even going against our 1st team secondary in the spring game.  Y’all better temper your expectations.  Lots of balls bouncing off of receivers hands because they the ball is thrown way too hard which will likely lead to interceptions.  I hope I’m wrong. 

13 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It’s amazing how people bitch when the deep ball doesn’t work, but bitch when Quinn checks down instead of throwing deep into coverage.. the only consistent is people bitch 

This occurred to me, too.  If it's not there and he forces it downfield, people bitch, and if it's not there and he checks down, people bitch.

Look, Quinn made some very good downfield throws in the first quarter.  Then, he was suddenly scared to throw it downfield.  I suspect he was dinged up, maybe concussed, long before the scramble play that fucked up his shoulder.  I'm not gonna rewatch that shitshow to verify, but that's what it felt like at the time.  

Edited by TexArcher

12 hours ago, Levi said:

Ewers and Brooks were getting for sure 8 yards almost each check down. Give me that all day

If this is the case why did the offense completely stall after the first quarter?  Why doesn't Sark just keep doing something until the defense adjusts?

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

He is one of the biggest QBs I've ever seen and he is jacked like a Marvel superhero actor and, somehow, he strains a tendon if someone blinks too close to him.

I seem to remember there being some concern from some of the On3 guys during the offseason about the nature of Murphy's injury. It was something to do with his foot, and the concern was that it was not healing very efficiently. When you are a big man like Murphy with one of those weird bone injuries in your foot, those things can linger for a long time. I am not sure if that is what we are dealing with here, but I remember the chatter about it in one of the livestreams. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I seem to remember there being some concern from some of the On3 guys during the offseason about the nature of Murphy's injury. It was something to do with his foot, and the concern was that it was not healing very efficiently. When you are a big man like Murphy with one of those weird bone injuries in your foot, those things can linger for a long time. I am not sure if that is what we are dealing with here, but I remember the chatter about it in one of the livestreams. 

spacer.png

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers