Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

33 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I want a culture where nobody is beyond accountability. As long as a game ain't on the line, I don't see anything wrong with having a player who fucks up penalized by sitting out a series.

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is what I’m saying. Let him know drops can’t be happening not that he’s gonna sit forever but that we are gonna let johntay cook get a shot cuz you keep dropping catchable balls. It’s not weird or anything that should be long term just a signal of accountability

Last year was the year for that. If his hand was that bad, then he shouldn't have been on the field. But if he is on the field then you expect him to make the catch. However, as you saw, the coach just let it go for whatever reason.

X has been much better this year. Although, I wouldn't call him the best receiver in the country. Maybe top 10.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ewers with better footwork and Bijan with a better block here...kid will learn

I guess I had forgotten the play and thought he barely got touched and coughed up the ball.  But on seeing the replay I can see the counter clockwise spin move he made on the play action and turned right into a guy who inconveniently came pretty much untouched. 
Im sure someone will put up his throws on YT but I feel pretty good about his accuracy and judgement for the most part.  The biggest objection to his throws was floating a few.

The first TD was a nice throw, not perfect.  Receiver held up for a bit but QE wouldn’t necessarily have done any better.  The end zone pass that Zay dropped was a nice pass too.  A better contested ball receiver catches that most of the time.  The slant was really nice and great hands by AD because that was a heater.  

13 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I guess I had forgotten the play and thought he barely got touched and coughed up the ball.  But on seeing the replay I can see the counter clockwise spin move he made on the play action and turned right into a guy who inconveniently came pretty much untouched. 
Im sure someone will put up his throws on YT but I feel pretty good about his accuracy and judgement for the most part.  The biggest objection to his throws was floating a few.

The first TD was a nice throw, not perfect.  Receiver held up for a bit but QE wouldn’t necessarily have done any better.  The end zone pass that Zay dropped was a nice pass too.  A better contested ball receiver catches that most of the time.  The slant was really nice and great hands by AD because that was a heater.  

I’ll have to go back and look at that, but I thought that was a ball that was under thrown (not horribly) and gave the DB a chance to make a nice a play. Got his hand in between X’s arms, raked down, and made a nice PBU.. Texas was up enough that I didn’t really pay much attention to it. 

It does highlight the difference between Mitchell and Worthy.. Mitchell adjusted to the moon ball and shielded the defender with his body. Worthy has never really shown much ability to be physical on contested balls 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I was yelling at the tailgate that they should bench Xavier for a series punitively for some of the mistakes he makes. It’s hard to justify because when he does make the catch he is a dynamic playmaker, but his drops are a huge problem. In the NFL they wouldn’t throw to him over a more reliable target because that’s how many drops he has at this point. 

I am super curious to what people are seeing in Maalik being immobile in the pocket or having bad footwork. From what I saw I thought he did great and showed a lot more settled feet and willingness to throw when he knows he’s gonna get blown up. It’s not atypical for really large body quarterbacks to look and play a bit statuesque in the pocket, they can often play through contact more than the smaller guys. This is obviously a category Maalik fits in. He’s the biggest human on the field most plays. 

You're blind. He was on his back foot pretty much the whole game. Every throw was an adventure. He settled down a bit, but his footwork remained bad. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I was yelling at the tailgate that they should bench Xavier for a series punitively for some of the mistakes he makes. It’s hard to justify because when he does make the catch he is a dynamic playmaker, but his drops are a huge problem. In the NFL they wouldn’t throw to him over a more reliable target because that’s how many drops he has at this point. 

I am super curious to what people are seeing in Maalik being immobile in the pocket or having bad footwork. From what I saw I thought he did great and showed a lot more settled feet and willingness to throw when he knows he’s gonna get blown up. It’s not atypical for really large body quarterbacks to look and play a bit statuesque in the pocket, they can often play through contact more than the smaller guys. This is obviously a category Maalik fits in. He’s the biggest human on the field most plays. 

Worthy dropped at least 3 balls that I can remember. I am all for giving Cook some of his reps. I know a lot of people here think you can't take him off the field but Cook is pretty explosive, and getting him some touches might be just as good.

As far as Murph goes he was fine. We didn't help him with the pass blocking. A lot of times the IOL was in his lap. You want him to step into throws? Clean up his pocket. The thing with Murph right now is he is just throwing the ball and believing his guy is going to win. That is going to cost you here and there, I expect that kind of stuff from a young guy. He will get better with time. He has the tools though.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Worthy dropped at least 3 balls that I can remember. I am all for giving Cook some of his reps. I know a lot of people here think you can't take him off the field but Cook is pretty explosive, and getting him some touches might be just as good.

As far as Murph goes he was fine. We didn't help him with the pass blocking. A lot of times the IOL was in his lap. You want him to step into throws? Clean up his pocket. The thing with Murph right now is he is just throwing the ball and believing his guy is going to win. That is going to cost you here and there, I expect that kind of stuff from a young guy. He will get better with time. He has the tools though.

Worthy didn’t drop 3… There are 3 plays that people THINK were drops.. The ball that was tipped at the line, which is not a drop. I just went back at the one in the End Zone and the DB got his hand on the ball, so that isn’t drop. The one on 3rd down on the flat was a drop. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Sark called a similar slow developing play vs Bama last year near the goal line that got QE hurt.  Plus there were a drop or two at least on catchable throws and maybe a third, couldnt tell if the slant was tipped.

It's the same play we've scored on before.  If Brooks slides over in time to make that block, X likely scores a TD.

17 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Were you drunk then, now, or both? Murphy looked like not a disaster, that's the best you can say. You know, other than the multiple disastrous plays. 

The sunshine pump will crank out delusional horseshit 24/7 you are trying to reason with a wall basically just happens to be a perpetually drunk wall.

One thing the pump is right about is Ewers ain't the answer

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The sunshine pump will crank out delusional horseshit 24/7 you are trying to reason with a wall basically just happens to be a perpetually drunk wall.

One thing the pump is right about is Ewers ain't the answer

Give me a healthy Ewers and I'm pretty confident we win out.  He's still a work in progress but he is probably worth 10 points at least compared to MM.  The fact that it came out it was his throwing shoulder that was hurt (on the prior sack) explains a lot of his last quarter against UH when was checking down and we assumed watching live he was just not processing his open reads.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Give me a healthy Ewers and I'm pretty confident we win out.  He's still a work in progress but he is probably worth 10 points at least compared to MM.  The fact that it came out it was his throwing shoulder that was hurt (on the prior sack) explains a lot of his last quarter against UH when was checking down and we assumed watching live he was just not processing his open reads.

The kid has lost more talent in the time it took me to type out this post than either of us ever had. I want him to do well but he is basically the Robert Horry of football only in a sport where he can't be Robert Horry...

QB must be dialed in 24/7 and Tom Brady proved to the world that commitment over talent wins in the end.

We have reached a point in football where you can find a stat to fit pretty much any narrative you want.

I’m sure we will see a tweet this week about how “Texas leads all Big 12 teams this year in positive yardage plays inside the 40 yard line in games that start at 2:30, per PFF.”

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pimphand said:

Why on earth would even Big Shot's mom celebrate him squandering his talents? You can't even get a diss right

The "maybe" was shorthand for explaining this would apply only in the case where she thought her baby would have been the greatest if only the coaches in his way hadn't favored other players and the refs always treated him worse than the other players otherwise he would have made MJ look like a joke. I don't know his momma so I have no idea if this was her attitude or not, though it is a common attitude among sports mommas.

2 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

The "maybe" was shorthand for explaining this would apply only in the case where she thought her baby would have been the greatest if only the coaches in his way hadn't favored other players and the refs always treated him worse than the other players otherwise he would have made MJ look like a joke. I don't know his momma so I have no idea if this was her attitude or not, though it is a common attitude among sports mommas.

No the only person holding Robert Horry back was Robert Horry he didn't have the MJ or Bird work ethic but he had otherworldly talent and so he was still able to make an impression and win a lot.  That is literally who Quinn Ewers is to a T but you do you. 

I didn’t have Robert Horrry as the most talented basketball player ever on my bingo card.  He wouldn’t make the top 500.  He hit clutch shots in big moments because he had more talented teammates who carried his ass to the big stage and gave him the opportunity to hit those shots.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

You’re talking about Robert Horry, right? 

As much as I'm ready for the Robert Horry diversion to end, I am kind of fascinated that we're being chastised for not having Robert Horry holstered as our go-to for "most talented basketball player of all-time" 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

As much as I'm ready for the Robert Horry diversion to end, I am kind of fascinated that we're being chastised for not having Robert Horry holstered as our go-to for "most talented basketball player of all-time" 

Yeah no this is a totally irrelevant conversation, but I’m fascinated as well. Robert Horry? 😂

51 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Horry was probably the most talented basketball player ever but had a shitty work ethic.  In basketball you can get away with it when you have Olajuwon, Shaq, & Duncan taking you to the promised land.

That is a new one to me. Guy I always heard as a model of lazy and talented was D Coleman. Never even thought of Horry as uber-talented or lazy. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Horry was probably the most talented basketball player ever but had a shitty work ethic.  In basketball you can get away with it when you have Olajuwon, Shaq, & Duncan taking you to the promised land.

If you replace Horry with Shaq then this all the sudden makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

i am so glad i stuck with this thread and didn't miss the robert horry as the most talented bball player of all time take.  that may be the most hilarious thing i've ever read on this board.

This board always delivers during football season. Stay locked in my friend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

The kid has lost more talent in the time it took me to type out this post than either of us ever had. I want him to do well but he is basically the Robert Horry of football only in a sport where he can't be Robert Horry...

QB must be dialed in 24/7 and Tom Brady proved to the world that commitment over talent wins in the end.

He's still only started 17 games.  He needs another full offseason and year as a starter before we really know if he can take it to the next level and be a dominant CFB QB.  Obviously we'll never know as he'll be holding a clipboard in the league next year. I just think he needs a shitload of reps personally.

6 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Derrick Coleman, Vince Carter... and obviously Robert Horry

Those early 90’s drafts had a ton of busts because there was no rookie wage scale and the high draft picks were really fucking rich before they played a game.  That tends to disincentivize players with questionable work ethics.

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Years ago Horry was interviewed on one of the talk shows. He said he would trade every one of the titles he was a part of for just one season ‘leading’ a team. Thought it was an interesting but honest answer. 

Well he should've worked harder....

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers