Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

No need to comment 

Can I derail the conversation for a sec to discuss X's effort?

The 2nd pass in that clip is overthrown undoubtedly, but to me it also typifies a class of plays that demo a lack of effort from X. If that same pass were thrown to AD, I believe we'd see a diving attempt at a catch - and he might catch a not insignificant portion of them.

X is fast and elusive. He gets wide open a lot, but he doesn't seem to extend his effective reach much at all. If a QB doesn't hit him within arms' reach X seems to put out little effort to stretch for an errant pass or to fight through a defender on and underthrown pass.

Not saying X should catch all of these, but I'd love to see him make a stronger effort when the catch is in doubt. Maybe he'd have more highlight reel stunners on his resume.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Can I derail the conversation for a sec to discuss X's effort?

The 2nd pass in that clip is overthrown undoubtedly, but to me it also typifies a class of plays that demo a lack of effort from X. If that same pass were thrown to AD, I believe we'd see a diving attempt at a catch - and he might catch a not insignificant portion of them.

X is fast and elusive. He gets wide open a lot, but he doesn't seem to extend his effective reach much at all. If a QB doesn't hit him within arms' reach X seems to put out little effort to stretch for an errant pass or to fight through a defender on and underthrown pass.

Not saying X should catch all of these, but I'd love to see him make a stronger effort when the catch is in doubt. Maybe he'd have more highlight reel stunners on his resume.

I didn’t even have to watch the clip to know the play you were talking about. I was at the game and on that end of the field, and it looked real bad in person. Like once he saw he couldn’t catch it in stride he let off the gas just a touch.

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

Maalik had a rough patch after an amazing patch.  The off the back foot floater is something he has got to correct.  That's on him.

I like many of you wish we had more QB runs out of him.  But I also understand the desire to not be down to only one QB and no backups.  If Maalik goes down, then it's Arch and then Savion Red?  I also understand how teams get overconfident when it comes easy, and the intensity wanes a bit, and then all of a sudden a wipeout is a dogfight.  I think most teams know we are not going to run him unless Ewers is a real possibility to come in.  So it takes a dimension away, one that I think could be very important in making those elusive first downs on sustained drives.  Right now we either strike like lightning, or fizzle on offense.

It seems to me that they have tried to get him to take a little bit of heat off the ball. Anyone else have that assessment?  

Anyhow the kid has been hot and cold.  It will be interesting to see how he does this weekend.  And for those lighting him up?  Ewers wasn't exactly a world beater last year as you recall.  Each game is more experience, and if he can just not toss that fucking floater...

We have the #1 rated QB recruit in the damn nation. Shit!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/4/2023 at 7:59 PM, immamac said:

Folks…it was not good today. It was unequivocally bad. Maalik drug his nuts over our and their faces tonight. I still think this team wins out even with MM, but holy fuck. 

@ztejas you summoned me and let this be known. Any time you summon me the bet is paid. You have 48 hours to make right or I pay it and you are gone until you square up. 

No contact attempt by the welcher. 

15 hours ago, Thatguy said:

He doesn't need to. As we are constructed he just needs to hit on enough throws to keep the defense honest and let us run the football. Also, I am not sure how much Milroe you've been watching lately but he is much improved overall as a passer.

Yeah, amazing what happens when you're up against the gauntlet of defenses like, checks notes, Tennessee & LSU. The guy is good enough for a Bama team that only needs good enough to win most games. If he wasn't an elite runner he wouldn't be a QB.

15 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Milroe is 8th in the country in pass efficiency rating.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

Oh, well this settles it then. There's no way those stats aren't comprehensive & show the complete, unadulterated picture of how good a QB is.

On 11/6/2023 at 9:10 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The kid is a walking turnover right now. It’s pretty clear there’s an agreement with the Mannings not to play Arch this year. You have to make a change after the second pick. 

We obviously need to get Quinn back. 

Or maybe the head coach, who is allegedly good with QBs, knows sending Arch out there in his current state of development would be a disaster and a major setback.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

It wasn't all pretty, but props to Maalik for keeping our season on track in Ewers absence. At the end of the day couldn't really ask for more than that. Now let's finish this damn thing.

Got the wins we needed while being shitty enough that only our dumbest fans could make it a QB controversy. No complaints here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

It wasn't all pretty, but props to Maalik for keeping our season on track in Ewers absence. At the end of the day couldn't really ask for more than that. Now let's finish this damn thing.

I was coming here to say the same thing after I heard the news about Quinn.

MM was ready to play and showed up with confidence when we needed him. I think he showed the talent to be something great, but also demonstrated that experience has a lot to say about it. I hope he sticks around to fight for a spot in the QB room, but he'll be great wherever he lands.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Or maybe the head coach, who is allegedly good with QBs, knows sending Arch out there in his current state of development would be a disaster and a major setback.

Not sure about it, but yeah. TCU is not a good team, but - as usual - we're their Super Bowl, blah blah blah. We have three regular season games, almost certainly a CCG, and at least one bowl game... five in all, and Arch would burn his 'shirt if playing in that many, so it makes sense from the standpoint that he/we want to avoid that (although no one thinks he'd be here five years, anyway). I'll be surprised if he doesn't see some action this season, assuming we're not fighting for dear life every game. 

I've not been following recruiting at all, so no idea who we've got coming in at QB. Clearly, if Ewers doesn't go NFL, there isn't a lot of roster room for another QB, especially if Maalik doesn't xfer.

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy shouldn't starts
32 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fuck you haters.....the guy has started 2 college games in his career and won them both.

I saw Quinn throw those same kind of passes last year too in his first year as a starter.

Maalik did his job now back the fuck off.

Quinn's 1st 67 passes:

67 att, 46 comp, 68.5%, 648 yards, 9.67 per/att, 6 TDs, 2 ints

Maalik's 1st 70 passes

70 att, 39 comp, 55.7%, 465 yards, 6.64 per/att, 3 TDs, 3 Ints.. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Quinn's 1st 67 passes:

67 att, 46 comp, 68.5%, 648 yards, 9.67 per/att, 6 TDs, 2 ints

Maalik's 1st 70 passes

70 att, 39 comp, 55.7%, 465 yards, 6.64 per/att, 3 TDs, 3 Ints.. 

Are these not skewed stats as they are going off QE’s 3 game stats,

while useing MM’s 2 game stats???

just wondering….. 

2 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

Are these not skewed stats as they are going off QE’s 3 game stats,

while useing MM’s 2 game stats???

just wondering….. 

not sure that is skewed it is Quinn's first 2.25 games, since he only played about a quarter vs Bama. That is all of Maalik's throws this season. 

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

not sure that is skewed it is Quinn's first 2.25 games, since he only played about a quarter vs Bama. That is all of Maalik's throws this season. 

It's skewed by the fact that Quinn was the starter all the way through Fall practice (and likely Spring) so he was taking most of the first team reps leading into the season.  And his first game was against the University of Louisiana - Monroe.

Maalik had a week of practice with the first team before starting against BYU.  Granted BYU isn't great, but they're a hell of a lot better than ULM.  

Again, and this is important, no one is saying Maalik should start over a healthy Quinn, but you can't just look at random stats without considering the differences in the situations.

Yes, Ewers is currently a much, much better QB than Maalik, but as @Steamboat1874 pointed out.  Maalik is 2-0, and that's really all that matters for the Longhorns.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's skewed by the fact that Quinn was the starter all the way through Fall practice (and likely Spring) so he was taking most of the first team reps leading into the season.  And his first game was against the University of Louisiana - Monroe.

Maalik had a week of practice with the first team before starting against BYU.  Granted BYU isn't great, but they're a hell of a lot better than ULM.  

Again, and this is important, no one is saying Maalik should start over a healthy Quinn, but you can't just look at random stats without considering the differences in the situations.

Yes, Ewers is currently a much, much better QB than Maalik, but as @Steamboat1874 pointed out.  Maalik is 2-0, and that's really all that matters for the Longhorns.

Skip stats and go and watch the games. Night and day difference between the two. Malik thank you for your service but I pray we don’t have to watch him again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Quinn's starts were vs Monroe, Bama, and OU.. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yes, and he had an entire off season as the starter heading into the season.  Maalik had a week.

Counterpoint. Maalik isn't a true freshman. He's been in the system a while. There's really no way to adjust for the differences in their initial stats, however. I think the take-away is, predicting his future success or failure off of a few games is silly. It's easy to forget that some great QB's struggled early in their development. Likewise, some never make it over the hump.

• Like 1

I'd love for the argument to be whether Quinn should take more rest cuz Murphy is doing great and ewers is just better, but MM was a liability last game. He shat down his leg as bad as Hudson Card did in the Arkansas game before getting benched for Casey. It wasn't a physical talent thing. He melted down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, immamac said:

I'd love for the argument to be whether Quinn should take more rest cuz Murphy is doing great and ewers is just better, but MM was a liability last game. He shat down his leg as bad as Hudson Card did in the Arkansas game before getting benched for Casey. It wasn't a physical talent thing. He melted down. 

He also didn't swag his team back from mistakes he fueled them further, not intentionally but still. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Counterpoint. Maalik isn't a true freshman. He's been in the system a while. There's really no way to adjust for the differences in their initial stats, however. I think the take-away is, predicting his future success or failure off of a few games is silly. It's easy to forget that some great QB's struggled early in their development. Likewise, some never make it over the hump.

Neither was Quinn.  He was a Spring enrollee at Ohio State before transferring to Texas

On 11/9/2023 at 1:04 PM, SarkAfterDark said:

Maalik may not be a future star, but the kid did just enough to win and keep our season from going off the rails. Will he ever start again? Probably not. But at least he was prepared. I'll take an ugly win over a loss any day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

He only gave up 7 points with his play...included extra point as a given. 

The punt team gave up 7 points, Brooks gave up 7 points, and Sark gave up 6 points by not kicking field goals deep in the red zone. 

Maalik was not the only, or even primary, reason that game was so close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The punt team gave up 7 points, Brooks gave up 7 points, and Sark gave up 6 points by not kicking field goals deep in the red zone. 

The first line isn't necessarily true. It could be a 14 point swing. We weren't able to take time off the clock and we lost momentum. A QB not being able to come out and respond is exactly how TCU Georgia happens. Landslide momentum.

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

So I recall the Savion red turnover on downs. How have I already forgotten the other time we didn't kick?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He enrolled at Ohio state 2 weeks into fall camp. 

Mea culpa...I should have gone back to check

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The first line isn't necessarily true. It could be a 14 point swing. We weren't able to take time off the clock and we lost momentum. A QB not being able to come out and respond is exactly how TCU Georgia happens. Landslide momentum.

True, his response to adversity wasn't, shall we say, ideal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So I recall the Savion red turnover on downs. How have I already forgotten the other time we didn't kick?

You didn't.  I was conflating the two games.

I'm trying to work while keeping up with Surly, so I was going off memory which was obviously a bad idea.

Either way, that's 17 points that weren't his fault.

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers