The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #36

TrashMaster G

From left field, hook em! After standing out here all year with mediocre predictions, this moment feels amazing. CDC and players came by to share in the moment. Great day to be a longhorn!

Insane that we spent a whole weekend by each other without knowing. We need surly Shirts or something
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

I would say doubletree downtown would be popular...can walk everywhere you need to go

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I stayed Doubletree the one time I was there for the CWS... definitely was nice and well-located, but I'm sure the prices are jacked up for the week.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Yup...lived there with ex for 8 years
Been to the slowdown quite a bit

Sucks for all the ones that didnt make it to rosenblatt...liked it better there and the yard parties and drinking in the church across the street

Rosenblatt was indeed awesome and the tailgating was much better, but they've got a good thing going at TDA. 

In 2014 we made a routine of drinking beer at Slowdown and then crossing the street about 10 minutes before first pitch and finding locals with extra tickets for $20.

Omaha owns and loves this event. If you get downtown and can't find something fun, that's on you. 

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

I lived there so stayed home lol...but there is some good spots right downtown

Doubletree or hilton garden inn...cheaper spots like econolodge quality 8 are right by the airport

This is a Texas message board, Double tree is the cheaper spot to us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm not high class. I'm just gonna sleep in the car and shower at the truck stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would've thought you already changed your location on Tinder to Omaha and have several sloots lined up. You're getting old.

You stupid sips, we told you that winning your conference should not determine if you advance.  We told you that how you fared in your regional should not determine if you advance.  And then we told you that winning your super regional should not determine if you advance.  And if you beat SEC teams, that too should not determine if you advance.

advantage aggy.

I can't help but go to texags at times like these (similar to when I would tune in to hear Dave South after another aggy football loss).  The schadenfreude is just too great.  Love when those assholes are mired in misery.

I love this first-round match-up. It brings up great memories of my first trip to Omaha and the 1985 CWS. 

Before our game with Arkansas the Texas "Wild Bunch" had a pig roast in the parking lot right outside of Rosenblatt.  Afterwards they stuck the head of the pig on top of a broomstick and we walked all the way around to the other side of the stadium simply so we could walk in front of the Arkansas fans behind a person carrying the severed pig's head, screaming "send the Hogs home!"  The pig head was then passed over the top of the dugout and placed on top of the Texas bat rack.  Bill Bates led off the bottom of the 10th with a triple down the right field line and with no outs they walked the next two hitters.  "Send the Hogs home" was in a pitched frenzy when they then proceeded to walk in the winning run.

We lost our first game of the CWS the next day, and I had to hoof it back to Austin right after for summer school.  Monday's deciding game was rained out and Tuesday was a real kick in the balls.  

• Like 2

Just booked my trip.  I'm going up Saturday evening and coming back Wednesday morning so I can see the first two games.  Only hotel I could get was Quality Inn in Council Bluffs, but fuck it I'm not planning on spending much time there and it looks convenient to Downtown and the ball park.  I really wanted my daughter to come with me she is a big Horns fan and is the only one who will go to the baseball games with me.  She was with me for the regional and the final game of the super regional.  Unfortunately, she has a summer program that starts Monday morning and I can't find any flight that will get her back in time so she could at least see the Sunday game.

Any advice from the CWS veterans?  Should I go ahead and try to round up tickets or wait until game day?

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Tickets on that first weekend can be fairly tough.  You can probably wait, but if you find a good deal, hop on it. 

No reason to buy Tuesday tickets now, though.  In fact, we might have an extra ticket for Tuesday. 

This guy knows what he's talking about. The games during the week are not a problem at all.  I went in 2015 and was in and around TDA for each of the first 6 games. Saturday night was the toughest ticket (Florida v Miami). We actually ended up passing on tickets because there were so few "regular people" selling that we actually had to try to talk to the scalpers for the first time ever. Between those knuckleheads, and the resale sites we couldn't get decent seats for a reasonable price so we stayed at the bar. Ended up being a great decision since the game was fucking terrible.

Monday the tickets were a joke. I think we bought cheap ones for the Monday afternoon session for $5 and sat wherever / wandered the stadium. Then we had an Omaha local sell us two tickets 2nd row behind home plate for Virginia - Florida for $20 each. He just wanted to make sure they went to actual fans of the game. Fuck yeah.

If you're rolling solo and only need one ticket, I wouldn't sweat tickets until an hour or so before game time.