Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

Oh, and re: Australia, even with all of that action, you can get a 4 Day GA pass for $100-150 less than the cost of 3 Day Parking at COTA, and they throw in transportation to and from the circuit. Or if you want to sit in a seat, their most expensive grandstand seat is about $200 less than 3 Day GA at COTA. Their least expensive grandstand seat also costs less than 3 Days of parking at COTA.

Amazing bang for the buck. I could get a R/T air ticket and 4 Day GA for only a few hundred more than 3 Day Parking and GA at COTA. ETA: Holy furk. I need to start planning this trip.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

Oh, and re: Australia, even with all of that action, you can get a 4 Day GA pass for $100-150 less than the cost of 3 Day Parking at COTA, and they throw in transportation to and from the circuit. Or if you want to sit in a seat, their most expensive grandstand seat is about $200 less than 3 Day GA at COTA. Their least expensive grandstand seat also costs less than 3 Days of parking at COTA.

Amazing bang for the buck. I could get a R/T air ticket and 4 Day GA for only a few hundred more than 3 Day Parking and GA at COTA. ETA: Holy furk. I need to start planning this trip.

image.jpeg.64123f1b1886bada3cf828822fe7f668.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Native Horn said:

I know you're probably just illustrating the volume of activity this weekend, but please nobody think those are Central times listed.  F1 race is 11:55 pm CDT on Saturday.

Yep. 'All times CET'.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I know you're probably just illustrating the volume of activity this weekend, but please nobody think those are Central times listed.  F1 race is 11:55 pm CDT on Saturday.

Sleep is for the weak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LMAO, Haas. My kid & I were predicting who would have the first off. Of course, we both picked a Haas. He picked Hulk & I took KMag, Sure enough. Almost every race weekend, they're the first to go off track.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It rained during the session, so most drivers didn’t get a good lap in. Those time are meaningless. 

Booooooooooo.

AMuS is reporting FP2 during sprint weekends will be replaced by a single-lap qualifying session to set the grid for the sprint.

The Sunday grid will be set by Friday evening qualifying, as per 2021 and 2022.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Native Horn said:

The Australian Grand Prix rules. I know it's a little rough for you guys, but I get to watch qualifying and the race on Friday and Saturday night with a drink in my hand, right after my kids (and probably my wife) go to bed. Beats waking up on Sunday at 5:45 to watch...with a drink in my hand.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, wood said:

AMuS is reporting FP2 during sprint weekends will be replaced by a single-lap qualifying session to set the grid for the sprint.

The Sunday grid will be set by Friday evening qualifying, as per 2021 and 2022.

i think 1 shot quali is a great idea to at least test out

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think 1 shot quali is a great idea to at least test out

I do appreciate how they are willing to experiment in season. 

Separating quali from the sprint will make a lot of people happy.

Another experiment I heard was not allowing sprint starting compound to be the same as the race start compound  Not sure what that accomplishes  

Other ideas i’ve seen floated would have teams try using all three compounds in a race. Would force two stops etc

So ... 

FP1 & Q

Sprint Q & Sprint Race

GP

It's better than the current sprint format, but it's still not as good as the conventional format. F1 keeps trying to fix what's not broken. Liberty and Domenicali are going to end up chasing one mistake with another, and then another, and eventually they won't be able to find their way home, a la NASCAR. They're talking about removing Friday practice, while 123,000 showed up for Friday in Melbourne. 

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I do appreciate how they are willing to experiment in season. 

Separating quali from the sprint will make a lot of people happy.

Another experiment I heard was not allowing sprint starting compound to be the same as the race start compound  Not sure what that accomplishes  

Other ideas i’ve seen floated would have teams try using all three compounds in a race. Would force two stops etc

If they really want variability, they should let them do whatever they want with tire strategy. Use any compound you want, any strategy you want (1 stop, 2, 3, 0 stops), any combination of compounds you want (front/back), etc. Some people would get it right. Some wouldn't. Variability.

But of course, to do that you'd probably need a grown-up tire supplier.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So ... 
FP1 & Q
Sprint Q & Sprint Race
GP
It's better than the current sprint format, but it's still not as good as the conventional format. F1 keeps trying to fix what's not broken. Liberty and Domenicali are going to end up chasing one mistake with another, and then another, and eventually they won't be able to find their way home, a la NASCAR. They're talking about removing Friday practice, while 123,000 showed up for Friday in Melbourne. 

This. Shit ain’t broken.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

If they really want variability, they should let them do whatever they want with tire strategy. Use any compound you want, any strategy you want (1 stop, 2, 3, 0 stops), any combination of compounds you want (front/back), etc. Some people would get it right. Some wouldn't. Variability.

But of course, to do that you'd probably need a grown-up tire supplier.

And reintroduce refueling.  Variability.  

And eliminate all technical regs other than safety regs.  Variability.

I was watching FP2 this morning and they said Mercedes has a new car design in wind tunnel testing right now.  The announcers have speculated that they have been working on it for a few months for it to be that far along in the process.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I was watching FP2 this morning and they said Mercedes has a new car design in wind tunnel testing right now.  The announcers have speculated that they have been working on it for a few months for it to be that far along in the process.

It seems like they’ve been keeping an alternate strategy alive while continuing with the current one, but I doubt this other car in the wind tunnel is all that great. Resources are too limited for them to fully develop two cars. At best, it will be a solid base for them to build from. Either way, they have issues with their floor and suspension that I doubt this new car will fix. 

That looked scary out there. The cars looked so twitchy.

Great job Mercedes. Not great for Aston. Is there a chance of rain for the race? What a shit show for Perez. Just terrible. In his corner though is, what should be a great car.

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Boffins create world's lightest paint, only 3 lbs needed to coat a 747. Merc has no excuse to not paint its cars.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-create-worlds-lightest-paint-just-3-pounds-covers-a-boeing-747

YES, yes, and yes.

I never believed Merc were really as slow overall as they've been in the first two races. On smooth tracks, they'll probably go like hell, like they are in Melbourne. It's the less pristine circuits that will challenge them the most, imho.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mercedes-has-been-talking-up-f1-struggles-says-alonso-/10451632/?_ga=2.125594376.386151600.1679255107-350596123.1678063326

After George Russell and Lewis Hamilton grabbed second and third on the grid for the Australian Grand Prix, both drivers said the result was far beyond expectations after Mercedes' difficult start to the season.

But Alonso, who has qualified fourth in Melbourne, sees things very differently and believes that Mercedes has a much better package in the W14 than it has been making out.

Asked whether he was surprised to see Mercedes beat him in taking the fight to poleman Max Verstappen, the Spaniard said: "No, in Jeddah I think they were within one tenth of the pace on Sunday to us and here they were P2 yesterday with Lewis in FP1.

Not seeing a Red Bull 5 seconds ahead after 5 laps would give me hope for the season. I get the mid field battle is exciting this year but I'm here for the title fight. Was hoping that would be AM + Alonso but I'll take Merc at this point. 

• Like 1

Much warmer now in Melbourne than Saturday. Track temp up at least 15 degrees C. Maybe not great news for Merc, Ferrari, & Williams. Possibly good news for AM & Checo. WeWillSee. Gonna be interesting.