Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

14 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

When I was in college, Frank Borman bought a 1964 Piper Twin Comanche. We went and picked it up, brought it to our FBO and annualed it and put a bunch of speed mods on it. We then flew it to Las Cruces, NM, where he lived. I was expecting to see this young guy that had been an astronaut. He was only a little over 60  at the time, but already looked much older than what I expected, and acted much older. He was interesting to talk to, but I thought he would have died a while back. After meeting him, its hard to believe he lasted this long.

CHIEF

I remember him from Apollo 8 and CEO of Eastern Airlines.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I remember him from Apollo 8 and CEO of Eastern Airlines.

He is not even 50 years old in this Eastern ad. When I saw him he looked easily 75 or older. Imagine looking like an advanced senior citizen for more than half your life.

CHIEF

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Goddamn, 6 people killed. Someone must have been flying, shithammered.

The wreck occurred at Fannin and Pierce. That’s right on the fringe of downtown and there’s traffic lights at every intersection. That’s not the conditions you normally see auto fatalities. 

Edited by TonyTexas

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

I'm not sure if this counts as a celebrity, but the owner of the San Diego Padres.

The guy spent his life earning a fortune. Had full control of the Padres for about 3 years and then died. Owning a MLB team would be fun and he had a limited time doing so. Fun fact, he was the grandson of Walter O'Malley, owner of the Dodgers, who moved them from Brooklyn to LA. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Ken Squier, longtime voice of NASCAR, entered hospice a day or two ago and passed away last night. 

https://www.jayski.com/2023/11/16/ken-squier-enters-hospice-care/

Man, he really helped make me into a NASCAR fans as a kid. It’s probably why somebody made this a few days ago 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Former first lady Rosalynn Carter, wife of former President Jimmy Carter, is entering hospice care.

The family of the 96-year-old first lady made the announcement on Friday afternoon through a statement issued from the Carter Center. The Carter family said in the statement that they are "grateful for the outpouring of love and support." 

The statement also says the Carters, who have been together for 77 years, "are spending time with each other and their family."

Earlier this year, Rosalynn was diagnosed with dementia.

The former first lady has been an advocate for numerous causes, including mental health. She has also written numerous books. She and her husband received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1999. 

President Carter, who turned 99 this October, has been in hospice care since February.

Despite their health diagnoses and physical challenges, Jason Carter said in September that his grandparents still experience many great moments as they spend their time surrounded by family at their home.

The former president now spends his time watching baseball games and spending time with family "almost every day."

https://www.fox4news.com/news/rosalynn-carter-hospice

If she goes first, does he last another week? Hospice for 9 months is rather rare. 

On 11/17/2023 at 11:29 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

https://www.fox4news.com/news/rosalynn-carter-hospice

If she goes first, does he last another week? Hospice for 9 months is rather rare. 

I've known many married couples who are older (80s, 90s), and when one spouse dies, the other isn't far behind.  Sometimes it happens because of heartbreak.  Don't know if dementia patients who are further along with the disease actually realize if their spouse passes away.  It's all part of life, but it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

I've known many married couples who are older (80s, 90s), and when one spouse dies, the other isn't far behind.  Sometimes it happens because of heartbreak. 

Sometimes it's family members who take the opportunity to cash in on an inheritance, knowing that the coroner might not look too closely (if at all).

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sometimes it's family members who take the opportunity to cash in on an inheritance, knowing that the coroner might not look too closely (if at all).

Had a neighbor lose her husband last year (long horrible battle with dementia), come to find out immediately after she quit taking her heart medication, dead in a matter of months.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Only person my grandfather ever talked to about himself to was his pastor and his wife of almost 70 years.   She died in 2007. We were all sure he’d go within weeks or months of his best friend.  But he hung on almost four more years.  Helped he was still active and mentally sharp well into his 90s.   

my aunt said what did him in.  He broke his hip and told her “I don’t want to go on anymore, if I can’t walk to visit her grave.”

Also, f cancer. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 11:29 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Hospice for 9 months is rather rare.

I understand that being a former president is different than being a regular dude, but my uncle was in hospice for a few weeks and they pretty much told him he wasn't dying fast enough and he was gonna get moved out. He died a couple of days later.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I understand that being a former president is different than being a regular dude, but my uncle was in hospice for a few weeks and they pretty much told him he wasn't dying fast enough and he was gonna get moved out. He died a couple of days later.

Hospice isn’t always about dying right away, but it definitely is for some. You can effectively be on hospice indefinitely as long as a doctor will sign off that a condition will most likely take you within 6 months. If it doesn’t, you can remain on hospice.

On 11/19/2023 at 11:01 AM, CHIEF said:

My paternal grandfather made it 3 months after my grandmother died. The old couple that owned some property next to my six acres both died within two weeks of each other. It is very common.

CHIEF

My Mom's parents were married for 61 years and were the picture of a loving marriage.  My grandmother had limited mobility due to knee and hip replacements over the last 10 years of her life.  My grandfather waited on her hand and foot like she was a queen for all of those years.  She had a stroke and died on January 16th, 2011.  My grandfather said that he felt that God had kept him on this earth to care for her.  On February 6th, my grandfather died in his sleep.  His heart just stopped.  Wouldn't surprise me if he had stopped taking his own medications for those last few weeks, but we never checked.

My Dad's parents were married for 51 years, but they slept in separate rooms and just generally seemed to bicker a lot.  My grandmother died of a stroke in 2001 and my grandfather partied on for another eight years after she passed.

Guess it just depends.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

My Mom's parents were married for 61 years and were the picture of a loving marriage.  My grandmother had limited mobility due to knee and hip replacements over the last 10 years of her life.  My grandfather waited on her hand and foot like she was a queen for all of those years.  She had a stroke and died on January 16th, 2011.  My grandfather said that he felt that God had kept him on this earth to care for her.  On February 6th, my grandfather died in his sleep.  His heart just stopped.  Wouldn't surprise me if he had stopped taking his own medications for those last few weeks, but we never checked.

A neighbor's dad died about 5 weeks ago and mom just went this past Friday.  They were married 68 years.   There is definitely something to it.

• Hook 'Em 3

My grandparents were married 59 years when my grandmother passed in 2003.  Her last several years she was in poor health, and my grandfather took great care of her.  It took a toll on him mentally, emotionally, and physically.  

After she passed, it was like a weight lifted off him.  His health was better, he started travelling more, he seemed happier.  He lived another 10 years after my grandmother passed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My parents were married for 53 years before my Mom died.  My Dad remarried 10 months later and had a great time with the new wife until she died 5 years later.  He now plays the field with all of the 80+ year-old ladies in his Sunday School class.  Never too old!

Has he moved to The Villages yet?

• Hook 'Em 1

My parents were married for 52 years. Mom is quite a bit younger than Dad. He passed in 2019. She was only 71. The death of your spouse is really traumatic. Especially if you are over 90. I always admired Jimmy Carter. He is a wonderful person, he presided over some really tough times in American history. I could certainly see him dying of a broken heart. He will be deeply missed. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Sig
  • Hook 'Em 2

Some people my grandparents knew had a couple of coonhounds that always were together. One day, the male coondog got injured in a fight with a mountain lion. A day later he died. Then, just a few days after that the bitch died right next to where the male was buried. She wasn't even injured and the family wasn't sure why she died. Some say that it was due to a broken heart. But it was probably some sort of allergic reaction as my grandparents said their fields were covered in southern grapefern which can cause some nasty reactions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3