the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

So do you have to hold a vote on the MTV first?  Because right now, Johnson doesn't have enough votes to remain speaker without Democratic support.

I’ve read that first would be a motion to table, and the Dems could vote to table and that would be it. I think @Js1 knows the inside baseball better. I know MJ would prefer not to have to put his speakership into the hands of the Ds and of course the rightful temptation for them would be to let the GOP eat itself again. 

But again— how are they feeling about dead Ukrainians because that’s what they chose? It sucks to have to choose principle over political wins but at some point isn’t that what the Ds say they stand for? This isn’t a missed paycheck for feds. It’s Russian missiles crashing into Ukrainian cities. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Collection of Massie’s whining today

Speaker Johnson has led the GOP to pass: 1) an omnibus that spends more than Pelosi’s highest year 2) an expansion of the domestic warrantless surveillance program and this week he’s pushing 3) Schumer’s dream bill which contains $100 billion of foreign aid, mostly for war.

Friday, we have one less Republican in the majority as Rep Gallagher leaves instead of finishing his term. As a going away gift, Speaker Johnson plans to force the senate to take up Gallagher’s bill to ban tiktok and give Presidential power to ban websites. But still no border.

I just told Mike Johnson in conference that I’m cosponsoring the Motion to Vacate that was introduced by @RepMTG. He should pre-announce his resignation (as Boehner did), so we can pick a new Speaker without ever being without a GOP Speaker.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

What's pathetic to me. And what shows what crazy fucking loon bags the GOP is filled with, is that there now is an easily identifiable "Russian Comrade" wing of the Republican Party in the House of Representatives.  They repeat nearly verbatim Russian propaganda, while at the same time pretending to wrap themselves in the flag on social media.

The only certainly in my mind regarding the house of Representatives elected by Republicans the past 10 years is this.  There has been a consistent and prolonged elevation of stupidity from top to bottom of the GOP in each election.  

Now the Dems have their dimmer bulbs to be certain.  But the difference is the dim bulbs on the Dem side do not control and prevent any and all bi-partisan legislation.  We no hwave a house controlled by the dumb, and led the cowardly.  What Johnson should do for the sake of the country is simply reach across the aisle and make a deal to support his speakership by bringing Senate legislation to the floor of the House.

I know my Republican friend will yelp that... "Well the house passed a lot of bills the Senate should vote on!"  Which of course is a red herring.  Because there are completely different types of bills being blocked in each house.  In the Senate bills are blocked because they cannot garner the 60 votes (that's 60% for the math challenged) necessary to receive a vote.  The bills are simply propaganda tools coming from the house, with no chance at all of ultimate passage.   In contrast the bills being blocked in the House from a vote are... hold your breath here... Because they WILL PASS!

But don't let factual information get in your way. Fox news spent a whole sunday railing against Senate votes against seemingly decent amendments to the bill that kept the government going after months of the House being unable to do their job.  Not once during the Fox News coverage was it ever mentioned that to vote affirmatively on ANY of the last second GOP amendments, would have caused the government to shut down for at least a week!  Because the lazy ass House had already gone home.  But when you elevate stupidity, you can get the stupid to listen to the stupid and believe almost anything.  And that is why the GOP has become so very, very dangerous to American Democracy.  Because they don't believe in allowing votes on bills that can pass in the House, and only pass bills in the house that cannot pass in the Senate.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/04/17/congress/mccarthy-group-ads-immigration-outside-republicans-00152863

A political group with ties to former Speaker Kevin McCarthy is going on air against some of the Republicans who ousted him from leadership.

The American Prosperity Alliance, a nonprofit which does not have to disclose its donors, is running an immigration-focused TV ad in several districts, including those held by Reps. Bob Good (R-Va.), Eli Crane (R-Ariz.) and Nancy Mace (R-S.C.), where members deposed McCarthy last year.    

Brian O. Walsh, a longtime McCarthy ally, is a senior adviser to the group. Walsh is spearheading an effort funded by McCarthy allies to defeat the eight House Republicans who joined with Democrats to boot him from the speakership. Some of those members have already announced they plan to retire. Good, Crane and Mace are among the top targets seeking reelection.

One version of the 30-second TV spotfrom the American Prosperity Alliance hits Crane for voting "against funding our border security" and opposing money for border agents, ICE and a border wall. It urges constituents to call their representative to urge him to change course.

Good has a primary challenge from state Sen. John McGuire in his Virginia district. In South Carolina, Mace will go up against Catherine Templeton, a former gubernatorial candidate. And Crane, the lone freshman to vote against McCarthy, will face former Yavapai County Supervisor Jack Smith in Arizona. All three have been elected with significant support from groups that McCarthy helped fund, including the Congressional Leadership Fund and the House GOP campaign arm.

This is likely an opening salvo for McCarthy allies. The seven-figure buy will run in 12 districts total, but only some will see TV advertising and other will get only digital ads. The full list includes seats held by Reps. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) — all of whom also voted out McCarthy — and Reps. Marcy Kaptur (D-Ohio), Jared Golden (D-Maine), Gabe Vasquez (D-N.M.), Matt Cartwright (D-Pa.), Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) and Marie Gluesenkamp Perez (D-Wash.).

So far in the second half of April, the American Prosperity Alliance has spent nearly $330,000 against Mace, nearly $160,000 against Good, roughly $218,000 against Crane and $150,000 against Kaptur, according to data from AdImpact, a media tracking firm.

IMG_2590.gif.a81f94457d63339ac5780642cbe2b23f.gif

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Narrator: because enough were willing to sign the discharge petition that he had to move it forward (especially after what had transpired over the last several weeks in Ukraine and the attack on Israel by Iran). 

Iran's attack on Israel was likely the last straw. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Narrator: because enough were willing to sign the discharge petition that he had to move it forward (especially after what had transpired over the last several weeks in Ukraine and the attack on Israel by Iran). 

Iran's attack on Israel was likely the last straw. 

Yep, he’s counted votes and been told by the Dems to do it or get his fucking shine box.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, he’s counted votes and been told by the Dems to do it or get his fucking shine box.

actually my read was it was enough Republicans were ready to sign it to bring it up to a vote - so they told him to do it or they'll do it for him. keep in mind there were many Democrats who had yet to sign the discharge petition so there had to be a LOT of Republicans telling him to move this forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think Johnson is pushing the foreign aid bill(s) because he's willing to sacrifice himself. If that were the case he would have done it by now. 

Something's changed that he no longer fears losing his position. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don't think Johnson is pushing the foreign aid bill(s) because he's willing to sacrifice himself. If that were the case he would have done it by now. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Fox News went after Marjorie yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Fox News went after Marjorie yesterday.

but the thing is that Trump doesn't want anything passed. this is a clear win for Biden getting this thing through (he's already said he'll sign this or the Senate version). 

31 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The thing that's changed is that now he's HAD the position. Why the fuck would he, or anyone, want it?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

The thing that's changed is that now he's HAD the position. Why the fuck would he, or anyone, want it?

because it's still one of the most powerful positions in the United States and third in line for the presidency? 

also note that the GOP may be going to change the rules for removal (see Marge's whining). if they do that then he's more secure and more empowered. 

Yeah, Boebert flipped her position on my dick during Beetlejuice.  Dammit, I had something for this.  

I think Johnson just finally got some concessions on some other shit, because even if his Orange God wins and is magically converted to supporting Ukraine---that's 9 months from now and his defense contractor donor base for h and his cohort want this done soon.  and not just because money, because Ukraine has hit a quagmire.  They were doing brilliantly for 20 months but their momentum/morale is slowing down quickly.  

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, The Dog said:

but the thing is that Trump doesn't want anything passed. this is a clear win for Biden getting this thing through (he's already said he'll sign this or the Senate version). 

Don Trump Jr is publicly supporting Marjorie on Twitter and bashing Johnson, and I question whether Junior would be doing that without daddy’s approval.  What if Johnson thinks that Trump and the House are going to lose bigly in November? Or he’s gotten wind that the Republicans are being harmed by their pro-Republicans stances?

Or that more Republicans will quit and give the House over to the Dems if he does nothing?

• Haha 1

The last one seems likeliest. Everyone in the current GOP is an asshole but some of them have some sanity left and those are the ones resigning and willing to resign. He may have had a big enough group threaten to resign if he didn't support Ukraine funding. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.950e7f99b697f7c25f5e77c4e7adebb5.png

So he flipped his opinion on Feb 28th, and we're just now hearing about it 6 weeks later, and after several rejected efforts to bring a Ukraine funding bill to the floor by Johnson. That would make the question more like...why did he block efforts to bring the bill to the floor before now? 

No, it can't be that the numbers for a discharge petition were reach, or that Iran attacked Israel. That would make too much sense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The last one seems likeliest. Everyone in the current GOP is an asshole but some of them have some sanity left and those are the ones resigning and willing to resign. He may have had a big enough group threaten to resign if he didn't support Ukraine funding. 

It seems like the only thing that would outweigh going against Trump’s wishes and Marjorie’s threats. Trump and Three-toes can threaten him, but he still has a shot at holding on to the Speaker’s seat in another vote.  A couple of (R) resignations and there’s no more Republican House Speaker until next January at the earliest.  

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, Boebert flipped her position on my dick during Beetlejuice.  Dammit, I had something for this.  

I think Johnson just finally got some concessions on some other shit, because even if his Orange God wins and is magically converted to supporting Ukraine---that's 9 months from now and his defense contractor donor base for h and his cohort want this done soon.  and not just because money, because Ukraine has hit a quagmire.  They were doing brilliantly for 20 months but their momentum/morale is slowing down quickly.  

Which means we would have pissed away a lot of money for naught.  

• Hook 'Em 1

And Dan, you’ve been perfectly happy with any number of buttfuckings of the constitution and of the people. Bitching only when an ox you care about gets gored elicits zero sympathy. You happily helped create the monster, shut the fuck up while it consumes you, as it was ALWAYS going to do.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

If the Republican Party wants to try to restore some semblance of functionality, they need to oust this bitch a la Santos.  She's such a maroon.

Good luck with that.  Unless she's committed fraud on some level, convicted or something...she's gonna be a lifer.

Just wait until a 2nd Trump administration, where she is elevated to Secretary of State or some shit like that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

She is completely intellectually bankrupt. There isn’t an iota of nuance or critical thought rolling around in her brain mush. Everything to her is binary.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF by The Lonely Island

Woooo boy:

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/04/18/congress/hfc-on-alert-00153097

During a Wednesday meeting with the speaker and the Republican Main Street group, members of that more establishment-minded bloc pitched Johnson on two changes, according to two other Republicans familiar with the matter. The first would remove Reps. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), Chip Roy (R-Texas) and Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) from the Rules panel — ending an effective conservative stranglehold on the pivotal panel that preps bills for floor debate. 

“There were a number of members who told him that he should not allow malcontents to serve on the Rules Committee,” Main Street Chair Dusty Johnson (R-S.D.) told POLITICO afterwards.

The second proposed change by Main Street members was to raise the threshold required for majority-party members to force a vote on ousting a speaker from its current number of one. Members of that group argued that McCarthy’s offers to the right — giveaways that ultimately helped end his term as speaker — are handcuffing Johnson.

Notably, Main Street members did not specifically propose that Johnson make those changes as part of debate on the foreign aid bill — but just urged to move as quickly as possible. Even so, the very idea infuriated conservatives, who vowed it would backfire if Johnson pursued them.

“Talking about changing the threshold to the motion to vacate [the speakership] is likely to induce the motion to vacate,” said Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.).

Gaetz, who is not a Freedom Caucus member, later joined several members of the group in a heated floor exchange with the speaker, during which the Floridian said “we did not get the answer that we wanted" about the changes Johnson might entertain.

Greene put it more bluntly: "Mike Johnson owes our entire conference a meeting. And if he wants to change the motion to vacate he needs to come before the Republican Conference that elected him and tell us of his intentions and tell us what this rule change … is going to be.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Someone can explaint to me what having some clown on the floor "guard" against unsavory bills means. What are they, tackling people who want to call legislation to vote?

That being said, this would be funny and hilarious if the end result likely wasn't further delays on Ukraine funding, and other things.

When the Russians buy these guys, they really stay bought. 

• Hook 'Em 2