2023 Safety Jalen Catalon (Transfer)

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I vaguely recall that guy. Didn't we recruit him back in the day?

Welcome Jalen! May you help us win the 14 school Big 12!

We did and he chose piggy

• Haha 2

I was confused how this might work since Catalon seems suited for the role Thompson played. I didn't realize coaches felt Thompson played out of position to accommodate Cook.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/what-jalen-catalon-means-for-the-texas-secondary/

With Catalon arriving, expect Thompson to move back to field safety. This was the staff’s original plan for Thompson last season but they felt Cook was better suited for field rather than boundary. Thompson has good range and is a smart player. It is likely he’ll find his hands on more passes next year.

That would put Catalon in the boundary where he’ll be able to serve as a bowling ball playing downhill in search of pins. Boundary safety allows for more freelance than field safety and Catalon has plus instincts for it as well as physicality.

• Hook 'Em 5

When Catalon is healthy, he has proven to be an all-sec type player.  It he’s healthy, he is the best player on this defense.  I watched that dude make play after play his freshman year and half of his sophomore year thinking we missed out on a great player bc his parents did not trust Tom Herman and his character and boy were they right…

Anyways, excited about this pick up.  Having veteran players in Sweat, Ford, and Catalon/Thompson up the middle has me feeling better about maintaining our level of play and improving on it next season.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, kegman said:

If I remember correctly, he was interested in Baseball as a high school recruit.  I assume with the injuries that he is now football only, but does anyone know if he plans to play baseball?

He was definitely interested in baseball and, IIRC, was a pretty well thought of prospect. I don't believe he played it at all at Arky though so I assume that's all over now

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...