Joe Biden 2023: The Dark Brandon Rises

StassneyHorn

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

If you want to play thread police, then go yell at LChorn for suggesting Biden could make AOC his VP which is what started the discussion.  

Just to be clear, that seems to frame my post as a suggestion Biden make AOC a VP replacement for Harris.  Rather, I was soliciting opinions as to whether that makes the ticket more electable. 

I've also read the whole page and I don't think anyone is derailing the thread, imo. 

I'm pretty sure Nate Silver did a piece on "does the VP matter" (that I can't seem to find right now) and came to one of those "it depends" conclusions.  I'll say this--I can't envision a scenario where Biden didn't consider Harris's race and gender in 2020 and I'd wager he thinks it matters in holding together his coalition of voters.   

I looked up life expectancy for American males as a function of age.  As of now:

Joe Biden -- 7.74 years

Donald Trump -- 9.32 years

So, both are "expected" to live through a 4-year term.  Of course, either could kick the bucket tomorrow, or could possibly live another 20 years or more.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love the fact that Biden was "too old" when elected at age 77, but Trump will be totally qualified at age 78

what was even better is Trump was interviewed recently and was asked if Biden was too old to run and he was like 'oh no, he's fine'.  Fucking asshole cunt mf.  You're both too goddamned old!  Get out of malibu lebowski!

20 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/workplace/amazon-hiring-seasonal-holiday-employees

Amazon is hiring 250,000 employees for the holidays and beyond, making its largest ever annual investment in U.S. hourly wages, $20.50/hr avg.

Are they doing it because Joey two scoops told them to?  Or why are you posting this here?

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Are they doing it because Joey two scoops told them to?  Or why are you posting this here?

As I said earlier, this is a cop-free thread, but I will answer your question regardless.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s a daily, what’s going on thread with a Biden slant.

Asking me why I'm posting in my own thread?

Discussion about the economy is made up of daily data points until it becomes a consensus. I choose job numbers to illustrate how Biden's admin has defied the odds of keeping it this low. The days of blindly shaking at the ground and mumbling "in this economy?" when there is Dem leadership should no longer go unanswered with an eye-roll, and taking that as serious contribution should be laughed at directly.

So why post Amazon numbers?
It is more jobbies that Biden is going to pluck from the job tree and pull out behind your ear.
It is an indication of what the largest business in America sees in regards to consumer demand/spending in Q4.
It could be a sign of how out-fucking-standing the economy is now.
It could be confidence in the future as well.
It is in opposition to expectations from other large retailers who have kept hiring roughly the same so far, like Target at 100k, still waiting on wal-mart
It could be in defiance of some people who think Amazon is about consolidating competition and then making people wage slaves

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

So why post Amazon numbers?

Propaganda?

NEW YORK, NY, Sept 19 (Reuters) - Amazon (AMZN.O) said it plans to add 250,000 U.S. workers for the holiday shopping season, 67% more than the number of people it hired for the past two years, as it scrambles to expand next-day delivery for shoppers.

Amazon's plans contrast with other U.S. retailers, who say they will hire fewer people in stores and warehouses this year on expectations for reduced consumer spending in 2023. Forecasters expect holiday sales to come in at half of last year's rate due to concerns about higher prices.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Propaganda?

I do wonder about these technology companies and the follow-though.  It seems like announcing job cuts and new hires is really about communicating to investors whatever message they might want to hear at the moment.  

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I do wonder about these technology companies and the follow-though.  It seems like announcing job cuts and new hires is really about communicating to investors whatever message they might want to hear at the moment.  

Yep. 

"Ooh, Amazon is hiring 250,000 seasonal workers, they must be expecting a hugely profitable Christmas...buy, buy, buy"

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

As thread author, there are no police allowed in the thread. It’s a daily, what’s going on thread with a Biden slant. When I post tonight about a special election in New Hampshire it will be on topic.

Flip flip flipadelphia 

NH state seat goes Trump +0.4 to D+12

Dems currently overperforming Biden in the PA HD race by a lot. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Joey B is sick of your motherfucking malarkey

Biden's team tells nervous Dems: Just chill (axios.com)

"We don't take the ups and downs of individual polls to heart," a senior Biden adviser told Axios. "What will matter next year is when our voters are fully engaged."

“The president's core team is convinced that the media and Beltway pundits are discounting Biden again. They point out that many insiders left him for dead in the 2020 primaries, underestimating Biden's level of support. They also like to note that pollsters who have Biden underwater now also wrongly predicted a red wave of Republican wins in the 2022 midterms.”

To sum it up:

• The polls were wrong in 2022 and they're already extremely inconsistent
  • No one is really that tuned in yet and the election campaigns haven't really been in full swing - wait until the primaries for the GOP side and Trump's trials
  • Polls the summer before the election are not that predictive
Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think there's a lot of election fatigue. we really need to limit the campaign season. and a whole host of other election reforms. but shortening that window would cut out a lot of the bullshit.

Jesus Christ yes.  Both mental fatigue and wallet fatigue.  It doesn't help donors that you just pumped billions into the 2022 midterms and now you have Virginia elections in November 2023 and then primary season in early 2024 and then general election 2024.  And by the time someone is sworn in in January 2025, you're already focusing on Virginia/NJ governor races in November 2025.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/12/2023 at 6:14 PM, hobbes2702 said:

So it’s really still supposed to be about Burisma? We are back to this? That’s all they have?

”you couldn’t afford the houses the Biden’s have on a senators salary!”. Yea guy that’s how money works.

He has a nice house because he rode public transportation and saved his pennies.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:34 AM, Neonmoon said:

Tell people about how good your doing, often . Repetition. Repetition 

The dumb people need you to hit them over the head with it. 

But the message has to be dumbed down.

On 9/18/2023 at 2:10 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Oh I agree. Trump could literally beat an old woman to death on live TV and he'd still get 30% of the vote. 

40% if she's a woman of color and on welfare.

On 9/20/2023 at 10:07 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think there's a lot of election fatigue. we really need to limit the campaign season. and a whole host of other election reforms. but shortening that window would cut out a lot of the bullshit.

good luck with that.  with social media and cable news, people never stop campaigning unless they're retiring.  shit, trump campaigned so much he barely had time to do any presidenting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

and I'll counter:

Yes, they are horrible people that would tank the economy for their gains.  But remember, they'd also tank Democracy, the presidency and whatever domino best serves them.  Why do regular people continue thinking these POS represent their views and concerns?  How are they not terrorists?

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

22 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

He has a nice house because he rode public transportation and saved his pennies.

Well, that and the fact that he and Jill are pulling in roughly $600K per year.  Their debt obligations, including mortgages, are roughly equal to one year's income.  That's pretty damn good.  Most Americans probably owe at least 3 years income in mortgage alone.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, that and the fact that he and Jill are pulling in roughly $600K per year.  Their debt obligations, including mortgages, are roughly equal to one year's income.  That's pretty damn good.  Most Americans probably owe at least 3 years income in mortgage alone.

That's why she's still working, to keep the upper hand on that leverage.  

But I'm wondering at their age if they still have a mortgage.  

Heck his book sales alone would buy quite a bit.  

On 9/19/2023 at 7:17 PM, Js1 said:

Flip flip flipadelphia 

NH state seat goes Trump +0.4 to D+12

Dems currently overperforming Biden in the PA HD race by a lot. 

Educated people vote in off year elections and special elections. D overperformance relative to generals should be expected.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Educated people vote in off year elections and special elections. D overperformance relative to generals should be expected.

Democrats have been winning big in special elections - ABC News (go.com)

That’s more than just an impressive streak — it’s a potential sign of a Democratic wave election in 2024. In each of the past three election cycles, a party’s average overperformance in all special elections in a given cycle has been a close match for the eventual House popular vote in the eventual general election — albeit a couple of points better for Democrats.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wonder why the media won’t cover stuff like this? Is it because it shows Biden doing something else to help ordinary Americans?

The Biden administration on Thursday announced plans to remove medical bills from credit reports through a rule change proposed by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

^^^that graph doesn't seem like the Dems are having a very good 2023 at all to me.  Only ahead in one poll.  Am I reading that right?

I mean, we’ve seen the 2023 election results with our own eyes. Do you not believe them?