Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve been told by a person who is willing to do such things that if you show up at the airport and go to the desk at spirit and the like, you can get super cheap one way deals as they try to fill up before the doors close.  Maybe they are full anyway from people making their way over, I wouldn’t know. 

Flights filled up over the course of the game.  There were still lots of options Tues night but I looked once we got that lead and it had dwindled.  Looked again after and almost everything booked including all connecting options. I think there are going to be a lot of Rangers fans in the house tonight.

52 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

It’s called the startle gram for a reason.

I spent nearly 10 years there and what that paper -- and industry as a whole -- has turned into is downright shameful. When I was there, the columnists were Randy Galloway, Gil LeBreton and Jim Reeves. All were outstanding. (I like Mac Engel as a person. Worked with him on the Stars beat. He's all about driving traffic and getting people upset as it drives clicks, which is what the parent company wants. It's simply not worth reading these days.)

50 minutes ago, Constant said:

If we win tonight, it will go down as one of the best post season performances in the history of baseball. Possibly 12-0 on the road, individual records set, team records set, and a mowing down of all of the best AL teams and our equal in the NL. 

Fuck all the ratings talk. It doesn’t matter.

Actually, if we win tonight it will 11-0 on the road during these playoffs -- 2-0 vs TB, 2-0 vs BAL and 4-0 vs Houston and (potentially) 3-0 vs ARZ. I think the max you could get under the current format is 13-0 in road games.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I will never understand why anybody who is not a network executive would ever give a fuck about the television ratings.

Is there some asterisk that would go down in the record books?  Like "*Had low television ratings"?  No?  Then I don't give a fuck.

As a life-long Spurs fan, we've heard that similar refrain in each of the five titles that we won since 1999. The excuses changed from the Spurs are boring (defensive powerhouse), they're from the smallest NBA market and/or people were just tired of them. WGAF at the end of the day. They were champs five times over. I'm *hoping* that the Rangers will get their first tonight to make up for the one that got away in 2011.

Yes we only missed out on a game 3 in tampa and a game 5 in Baltimore.

but a team could conceivably have 14 road games if they didn’t ever have home field. 3, 3, 4, 4. 

of course winning all of your road games but still playing the entirety of each series means you are losing all of your home games.  And that would be quite a post season. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yes we only missed out on a game 3 in tampa and a game 5 in Baltimore.

but a team could conceivably have 14 road games if they didn’t ever have home field. 3, 3, 4, 4. 

of course winning all of your road games but still playing the entirety of each series means you are losing all of your home games.  And that would be quite a post season. 

No chance of getting a third road game without having a blemish during the first round in this format since all three games of the best-of-3 are in the host's ballpark. You could conceivably get three in the second round and four in the ALCS/NLCS and WS, however. I think that means 13-0 is the best you can do. (But I was told there would be no maths.)

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Actually, if we win tonight it will 11-0 on the road during these playoffs -- 2-0 vs TB, 2-0 vs BAL and 4-0 vs Houston and (potentially) 3-0 vs ARZ. I think the max you could get under the current format is 13-0 in road games.

Not good at counting once it passes my fingers. 

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

here's hoping we crush  their souls again from jump and Smolz can talk about how great their fans are and lament that we can't play this series 9 more times 'cause the snakes would clearly win them all.  Maybe throw out a random superlative for the Orioles while he's at it.

"Were this a 19-game series you'd have to think the Diamondbacks would be favored."  ---- John Smoltz, allegedly. Probably. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I have the nerves. It’s like approaching TX/OU nerves, but without the drunken and misguided confidence. Or the jalapeño cheese corny. Just poured a Four Roses and I’m doing a William Faulkner vibe on my deck. I’m cool regardless. Love you guys. We need this for our “fair ‘burg”. Go Rangers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

As a life-long Spurs fan, we've heard that similar refrain in each of the five titles that we won since 1999.

The 2013 and 2014 Finals ratings were actually very good - esp. 2013. The 1999 Finals is hard to judge because it was the Knicks and it was a huge drop-off from '98 but it was also one of the highest rated Finals since MJ retired. 

'03 and '07 were shitty because it was the Nets and the Cavs so you had two small-market teams (LeBron wasn't his own market yet in '07) and in '07's case a non-competitive series. 

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The 2013 and 2014 Finals ratings were actually very good - esp. 2013. The 1999 Finals is hard to judge because it was the Knicks and it was a huge drop-off from '98 but it was also one of the highest rated Finals since MJ retired. 

'03 and '07 were shitty because it was the Nets and the Cavs so you had two small-market teams (LeBron wasn't his own market yet in '07) and in '07's case a non-competitive series. 

Well, yeah, that had the Heat starpower, at least that's what we were told. The old "the Spurs are boring" was blown out of the water by the 2014 team, which was just beautiful to watch. Enough Spurs talk -- let's go Rangers!!!!!

The Texas Rangers and I came into existence the same year. My 51st birthday is tomorrow. The first WS title for this club happening tonight seems just perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I have the nerves. It’s like approaching TX/OU nerves, but without the drunken and misguided confidence. Or the jalapeño cheese corny. Just poured a Four Roses and I’m doing a William Faulkner vibe on my deck. I’m cool regardless. Love you guys. We need this for our “fair ‘burg”. Go Rangers. 

This is the first game for which I also am nervous.

Against Tampa Bay, I was still so disappointed by the last week of the season that I didn't have time/didn't bother to get enthusiastic.  I was exactly like the groundskeepers: "they're still shitty."  I assumed they'd lose, and two games wasn't enough to really adjust that outlook.

Ever since, we've just been playing with house money.  If we'd have gotten bounced by Baltimore, I really would've been okay with it.  I hadn't thought the team was playing well enough for a deep playoff run, and everything was just a very happy surprise.

The third inning last night was really the first time I had really internalized the fact that the Rangers could win the World Series.  And now, . . . fuck--it's so close, we can almost touch it.

And at the same time, I remember That of Which We Shall Not Speak.  I remember the pain.  A win tonight would be a balm on that wound, but I don't think it'll ever heal.  And being this close has me really nervous.

I was a kid when we moved to Dallas in 1986.  My dad bought season tickets for the first time that year.  I spent my summer evenings leaving my parents' good seats behind home plate to try to catch a foul ball down the third base line, where entire sections were empty unless the Yankees were in town.  And yeah--I was Gen X, so my parents didn't mind me leaving their sight for a couple hours.

We had those season tickets for more than 30 years.  We saw a lot of bad baseball, and some good.  But we never saw a championship.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Skipper said:

I was close to booking a refundable (credit) SW flight during game 3 when they were more reasonable.  There was still one that left this afternoon earlier this morning but it was sold out as of a few hours ago.

I'm taking one for the team staying home as I'm 0-2 in 2023 in relatively last minute high leverage 24 hour in and out sports trips (Elite 8 vs. Miami and Stars/Knights Game 2)

Unrelated, but I was at the Knights/Stars game in Vegas just a couple of weeks ago. What an awesome arena to watch a game. Easy walk in and out from Planet Hollywood, and of course just about anywhere on that half of the strip. Good stuff. 

48 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Oh God. Nothing approaches TX/OU for me. Or Texas football, for that matter (minus some other specific stuff over the years that isn't worth getting into).

I've been weirdly zen about this whole playoff run. I mean it in a literal sense when I say that when I turn the games on it takes me a second to register that we are in the World Series and a game, two games away etc. from a championship.

This shit just came out of nowhere - it's not like we've come up short the past couple years or even been competitive. It doesn't feel like there's any pressure on this team at all and I think it's affected my nervousness/anxiousness as a fan. Also - I already went through all of the ridiculous ups and downs during the season that it kind of hardened me to the same shit during the playoffs. 

That said - I've definitely gotten worked-up during the games. I got nervous as shit last night once it was clear that Smith didn't have it. That G5 loss to HOU stung like a motherfucker and I started wondering "shit - is this going to turn into one of my worst losses as a fan ever?"

Let's whip that ass tonight and end it right here. Anyone wanting us to maybe lose so we can close it out at home is a slapdick fuckface that should quit cheering for any team. I don't care if they close it out in Guatemala - go win that shit tonight. 

• Like 3

I'm nervous as fuck. Pit in my stomach all day. Don't really remember this in 2011 before game 6. Probably because I was in my later 20s and different mindset. I've seen 3-1 series turn on a dime. The ones I remember off the head is 2015 Rockets vs Clippers, 2016 Cavs vs Warriors and 2016 Indians vs Cubs.

So fucking close, yet so far. Baseball is such a random sport day to day, more than any other sport out there. You don't have the ball in hand making stuff happen like football and basketball. Even soccer and hockey, you take control of the puck and ball. Baseball just isn't like that. A weird bounce here can change the course of a game and then a series.

Oh God. Nothing approaches TX/OU for me. Or Texas football, for that matter (minus some other specific stuff over the years that isn't worth getting into).
I've been weirdly zen about this whole playoff run. I mean it in a literal sense when I say that when I turn the games on it takes me a second to register that we are in the World Series and a game, two games away etc. from a championship.
This shit just came out of nowhere - it's not like we've come up short the past couple years or even been competitive. It doesn't feel like there's any pressure on this team at all and I think it's affected my nervousness/anxiousness as a fan. Also - I already went through all of the ridiculous ups and downs during the season that it kind of hardened me to the same shit during the playoffs. 
That said - I've definitely gotten worked-up during the games. I got nervous as shit last night once it was clear that Smith didn't have it. That G5 loss to HOU stung like a motherfucker and I started wondering "shit - is this going to turn into one of my worst losses as a fan ever?"
Let's whip that ass tonight and end it right here. Anyone wanting us to maybe lose so we can close it out at home is a slapdick fuckface that should quit cheering for any team. I don't care if they close it out in Guatemala - go win that shit tonight. 
Agreed. If you want this team to lose so you can witness the win at home, fuck off. You end this shit as fast as you can. Especially with your top guy on the mound tonight. I can't take people serious who think like that.

And I'm not even worried about how the game ended. Arizona scored runs off our scrubs who will never see the light of day in a close game. Good for them. None of that matters. Still down 3-1. We really need Eovaldi to have his filthy stuff he had to start game 1 before he kind of fell off. No walks.

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

It’s worked the last 2 nights.
So dance with the one that brought you.
61a62e3cf2fef95764ac4ca15ff1c27a.jpg

Good God. 140 proof?

I'd add that Denison is miiiiighty close to Oklahoma. But there are a lot of Okies wanting our guys to bring it home tonight too and I can make peace with that. 

I was in person at the 2006 Rose Bowl.  I realized with the teams, the players, the location, hell even the announcers, and definitely with the way it played out and the fact my Texas Longhorns had finally climbed the mountain top that I had likely peaked sports fan wise in that nothing was ever going to top that moment.  I've been fairly calm about sports stuff since (I was most certainly not before)

2011 still hurt, it hurt bad in the moment.  Now we are back here.  Every DFW franchise but this one has won one in my sports conscious life  (the 78 Cowboys SB win came when I was way too young to even know about it, much less comprehend it).  Not nervous, just sort of ready to see it.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

9 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Well, I am about to head to my local watering hole with a buddy.  I have followed this team since I moved to Arlington in 1993.  I have experienced the heartbreak of the late 90's and 2010 / 2011.

I love this team.

This was against the Phillies on opening day.

oday.jpg

I’m at my local as well, drinking cold cheap beer and sippin rotgut whiskey.

Hopefully get to share a good moment with a great class of degenerates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BERT said:

Alright. About to head to the gym then the store. Last night I went at this time and when I got home it was 10-0. 

Let’s do this

3 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I haven’t posted during a game since the end of Game 5 against Houston; ain’t breakin’ it tonight. You fuckers keep it real it here, see y’all on the other side….

This is the commitment that it takes to win a World Series. Your contributions shan't be forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 1