Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I remember when Pavlik was something like 9-1 with a 5+ ERA and he got named to the All-Star team.

I went to a game against Toronto where Pavlik walked the first 5 batters in the top of the first and got pulled without getting an out. Good times!

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Fuck me. I have to work over there tomorrow. 
Probably take a sandwich for lunch since it might be a shit show trying to go out for lunch. Stupid customer. If they had their shit together I could have been thru this afternoon. 

Yeah we’re bringing a back pack with cold snacks and dry snacks and drinks. Mostly because i’m a suburban idiot dad who plans for all hell breaking loose. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He was my first favorite.  At the time, I thought he was really good because he made the All-Star team.  

I was going to speak to something similar last night, but I didn't want to ruin the vibe.

As a poor growing up, we rarely got to see the Rangers in person or on TV.  Hell, I recall one of my earliest "great" sports moments was a night in which the Rangers/Red Sox were on national TV.  I think Clemens was pitching.  We were down 2-0 in the 8th.  Someone hit a 2 run homer in the 8th; someone else a 2-run homer in the 9th.  (One of them may have been Geno Petralli.) Point I meant to make was that I listened over 90% of the Ranger games during a 10 year period from about age 7 - 17.

Anyway, thinking back, I realized that I was a fan w/o any expectations.  I knew they weren't going to the playoffs, much less the WS.  I don't ever remember being heart broken by a Ranger result.  (I was extremely insulated from the 2011 WS living in Knoxville.)  Going back to @Beau Vine 's quote, there was a year in which Jeff Russell made the All-Star team.  My friend's tv went out just before the game started, so we hightailed it to the Promenade Shopping Center in Richardson and watched the game through the front window of a tv/electronics store.  

My favorite memory of the Rangers was actually due to another team.  Some of you old timers might recall a pitcher from Brownwood, then UT, by the name of Jerry Don Gleaton.  From what I understand, my grandfather was a father-figure to him and coached him into high school.  One year he was pitching for either the White Sox or Royals.  We got seats just behind the 3rd base dugout.  He ended up pitching in relief and tipped his hat to me when he got on the mound.  Awesome times.

Sorry for the tl; dr.  I'm loving hearing everyone's stories and wanted to add my own.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

13 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

thinking about former ticket guys, Norm and Rhyner.  I don't imagine very many people would have predicted that both Norm and Rhyner would live to see a Texas Rangers World Series championship.  It love Nadel's call.  

And Greggo also lived to enjoy this moment.  Even crazier odds.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He was my first favorite.  At the time, I thought he was really good because he made the All-Star team.  

He wasn't a good hitter, but he was an elite baserunner and pretty good defender.  That used to play before teams caught up to the new realities of baseball.  I remember Gaylord Perry was with Cleveland and had a scoreless streak at work; he walked Nelson to open the game, who proceeded to steal 2nd, 3rd and home.

• Drool 1

I’ve analyzed Lowe’s gatorade bath of Garcia in game 1. A lot left to be desired there. Arrives late, completely underestimates Garcia’s final leap to home plate and empties the entire thing into the right batters box. He holds the finish a bit to work himself back into the huddle and make it look like he didn’t just get no one wet, but the tape is out there. 

100% would be the same result if I tried. Just some things to tighten up in the offseason. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I was going to speak to something similar last night, but I didn't want to ruin the vibe.

As a poor growing up, we rarely got to see the Rangers in person or on TV.  Hell, I recall one of my earliest "great" sports moments was a night in which the Rangers/Red Sox were on national TV.  I think Clemens was pitching.  We were down 2-0 in the 8th.  Someone hit a 2 run homer in the 8th; someone else a 2-run homer in the 9th.  (One of them may have been Geno Petralli.) Point I meant to make was that I listened over 90% of the Ranger games during a 10 year period from about age 7 - 

Believe the game you’re thinking of was a mid-August game on the old Monday Night Baseball in 1986. Petralli was one of the homers and Ruben Sierra the other; I believe in that order but might have it backward…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I hope Josey Wales from LSB back in the day, aka the greatest troll in dfw adjacent sports message board history, was watching somewhere smiling and charting Eovaldi's game score, smug with the knowledge that all the Rangers needed to to finally win a World Series was to get rid of that goddamn Jon Daniels.

The great game, indeed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If we’re still name dropping random rangers. I’ll add edwin Correa, Jeff Huson, Jeff Frye, and Dan peltier. 

Billy Sample, Jeff Burrough, Wayne Tolleson, John Matlack, Doc Medich, Rehabbed Doc Ellis formerly pitching on acid...LOL. 

9 hours ago, DougO said:

Billy Sample, Jeff Burrough, Wayne Tolleson, John Matlack, Doc Medich, Rehabbed Doc Ellis formerly pitching on acid...LOL. 

Let's not forget Lee Mazilli, who gave rise to one of the best local sports bon mots ever. He complained about playing left field rather than center after being traded to Texas. I think it was Randy Galloway who wrote "Lee Mazilli called left field an idiot's position -- and then went out and proved it."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You bitches better put some respect on my name.

One of the first baseball cards I can remember, got it signed a few weeks later. That piece of genius memorabilia is long lost sadly. Probably sitting in Mark Cubans safe deposit box just collecting value to double his net worth.

Geno-Petralli.jpg

Edited by pacman
  • Drool 1

Everyone sharing so I’ll join.

I came in to baseball consciousness probably around second or third grade so like 88 or 89. That’s just when I remember realizing who the Rangers were.

I remember always wanting to play second and base and i immediately fell in love (no homo) with Julio Franco and that batting stance. I’d try over and over to copy it in my coach pitch days but never was “allowed” to. It was always elbow up bullshit. Side note, what in the living fuck were they teaching kinds back then.

Anyway, those late 80s and on teams were my favorite. We would go out to Arlington Stadium with the grandparents at least 20 times a year. We’d stop and get a bucket of chicken from KFC and Pepaw would pack a cooler of Dr Pepper. I thought I was in heaven sitting in those bleachers in right field. It was always right to try and catch a break from the setting sun.

I’ve always been a huge stadium nerd. I’m intrigued by the paces these teams play. Stadiums and arenas. When I found out we were getting a new stadium I was so excited. That second summer of construction we had season passes to six flags and I would just ride the Parachutes over and over just to see the Temple going up. My first game there i was 13 I think and I literally cried at how beautiful it was. I can’t count how many games we went to there. I got to play on that field as part of the Showcase out of high school and it didn’t feel like my feet were touching the ground. When I was pitching it was the most effortless 85 I had ever thrown. Got some time at short as well and I was absolutely in heaven.

I don’t even know where I’m truly going with this except HOLY SHIT WE’RE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Edit: I know 85 ain’t shit but to me it was and I was hitting it lol.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3