NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

I think it’s best for both. Maybe zeke can let go of expectations and have a hood last few seasons. Zeke is still good at the goal line, and more important for Mac Jones, remains a devastating blitz pickerupper and blocker. That has been the issue: great role player with an outsize contract. He’s still getting a great contract as a backup at NE. Way more than I thought he would get.

4 hours ago, naija said:

Wonder if the Trey Lance pick was Shanahan's call. Not doing wonders for them right now

He’s look terrible every time I’ve seen him.  It’s hard to imagine that he’s the basket they placed their eggs in at one point. 

Richardson already named Indy's starter. 
Richardson's move to the starting lineup means the Colts will have a different Week 1 starter for the eighth consecutive season. 
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38196581/rookie-anthony-richardson-named-colts-starting-qb

Anybody else hopes this dude fails?

They didn’t even give Minshew a shot.

He’s look terrible every time I’ve seen him.  It’s hard to imagine that he’s the basket they placed their eggs in at one point. 

A shitpile of draft capital for player that doesn’t even look like he could play in the XFL. I have no idea what they saw in him from his college play. He didn’t play but one season in college at North Dakota state. He just ain’t got it. Niners need to cut his ass and sign almost anyone as a qb3 or use it on depth.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, naija said:

The Niners gave up 3 1st round draft picks for Lance. It's one thing to make a bad pick. It's another thing to do that. The Colts need to find out what they have in Richardson, sooner rather than later.

Yeah, the Lance trade never made sense to me. The worst thing GMs can do is convince themselves they have the perfect eval and bet the farm to go get their guy.

The Niners could’ve taken Mac Jones at 12 or traded way less capital to get Fields at 8-11. Either way, they’d have a better QB and an extra 2 firsts. The Dolphins turned the picks the Niners traded them into Waddle, Tyreek Hill, and Bradley Chubb. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38196581/rookie-anthony-richardson-named-colts-starting-qb

Not unless there's a bunch of Tyreek Hill/Antonio Brown off-the-field issues that surface.  If he succeeds, it will be because the Colts managed to correct his mechanics and footwork.  I'm all for NFL franchises becoming more competent at developing the QB position so we get more high-ceiling guys at the position instead of trotting out Gardner Minshew to dink and dunk down the field.

Edited by Captain Obvious

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I hope the Jets fail. 

Honestly, they are throwing Richardson to the wolves, but if Jame is can stay in the league throwing 80 ints a season, fuck it, I guess. 

Would you feel better if Minshew got four games and then they played Richardson? Minshew knows his role and is well compensated for it. Do you actually think any 1st round pick is intended to sit on a bench? You play em and let ‘em develop on the field so you get the benefit of cheap costs against the cap and know if they’re the guy fast.

Besides do you think any colts fan is buying a Minshew jersey or buying a ticket to watch him play?

Would you feel better if Minshew got four games and then they played Richardson? Minshew knows his role and is well compensated for it. Do you actually think any 1st round pick is intended to sit on a bench? You play em and let ‘em develop on the field so you get the benefit of cheap costs against the cap and know if they’re the guy fast.

Besides do you think any colts fan is buying a Minshew jersey or buying a ticket to watch him play?
Yep gone are the days of Rodgers sitting behind Favre for some years before getting his shot. High draft picks are expected to contribute and perform right away. Any position.

But I can't imagine Richardson has much to offer. Nothing in college told me he has what it takes.

Richardson should have stayed a year at Florida but hard to pass on first round money now. Rodgers benefitted from falling in the draft because he went to a good team. These guys that go early to shitty teams with shitty o lines and usually bad coaches and immediate expectations just add to the challenge of making it in the nfl. It’s why so many wash out.

Aikman had Jerry Rhome as his QB coach initially. Dak did best with Kitna as his coach. It’s an underrated element of the game.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep gone are the days of Rodgers sitting behind Favre for some years before getting his shot. High draft picks are expected to contribute and perform right away. Any position.

It's the NFL adopting the corporate world's "fail fast" strategy. Except unlike the corporate world where it may take years or even decades to perfect a technology or process before it's capable of going to market, in the NFL there's always another crop of draft picks each spring to sift through.

18 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

they found an EJ Manuel starter kit

Apparently, Trey Lance has thrown fewer passes in a game since high school than Geno Smith threw last year alone.  That's absurd.  John Lynch has been a really good GM to my surprise, but the whiff on Lance was BRUTAL. I do think Brock Purdy can be the solid, game manager they need with all of their weapons.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently, Trey Lance has thrown fewer passes in a game since high school than Geno Smith threw last year alone.  That's absurd.  John Lynch has been a really good GM to my surprise, but the whiff on Lance was BRUTAL. I do think Brock Purdy can be the solid, game manager they need with all of their weapons.

This plays to the dice roll with every nfl qb prospect. Brady a sixth round pick. Romo a UDFA. Purdy a camp arm throwaway. Few will be elite, some journeymen, the rest coaching high school at 26. The skills are so different besides an arm; mental acuity, work ethic, listening skills, coachability, on and on.

Reps are important. However, if you are the Chiefs, would you like to go back in time and play Mahomes immediately or are you satisfied with how his development played out? What about Rodgers?

Now Richardson. He needs more mental than physical development. And his college career more than others shows he needs to learn to play the position.

He wasn’t drafted to play 4/5 years for the Colts. The intent is for him to play a decade so playing the first year could go either way. The rush to play him this year is he is that good. That would be surprising to know this early.

As for Minshew, he probably knew the deal. My guess is that he’d like to play rather than just cash a check, but that he’ll take the check rather than do something else.

The NFL has plenty of failures at the QB position due to lack of patience. Some of that is starting these guys too soon. Part of that is not giving guys enough opportunity given their surrounding environment. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes not.

You sounded as if Minshew got fucked. Every qb that sees the team draft a qb first round knows they are borrowed time. Minshew is a journeyman backup and paid well to be that. I don’t think the kid is ready. He should have stayed in college but Irsay is gonna play his pick. Did it with Peyton and Luck.

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You sounded as if Minshew got fucked. Every qb that sees the team draft a qb first round knows they are borrowed time. Minshew is a journeyman backup and paid well to be that. I don’t think the kid is ready. He should have stayed in college but Irsay is gonna play his pick. Did it with Peyton and Luck.

Except those guys were multi-year college starting QB's that were considered generational guys. Richardson is so bad.

I want Richardson to fail because of the the hype and opportunity provided that he hasn’t shown/earned on the field.

If they got Minshew there based on false promises, I don’t care for that. But I have idea if that occurred.

But yeah Irsay does his thing.

I want Richardson to fail because of the the hype and opportunity provided that he hasn’t shown/earned on the field.

If they got Minshew there based on false promises, I don’t care for that. But I have idea if that occurred.

But yeah Irsay does his thing.
Does Richardson have any hype? I don't follow the talking head shows so I'm not sure what they are saying. The general consensus from fans, especially those who follow college football is that he's probably going to suck.

At the Metallica show my granddaughter wanted a bag of skittles, a bottle of water, popcorn, and I added a Pepsi. $49 to have it delivered to our seat. The popcorn seems to have been popped during Quincy Carter’s reign, the skittles bag was about double the size of what you get at Halloween.

Jimmy Graham might be done.  Again.

Saints tight end Jimmy Graham arrested after medical episode, team believes he may have experienced a seizure

New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham (80) runs through drills at the team's NFL football training camp in Metairie, La., Wednesday, July 26, 2023. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham was arrested in Southern California on Friday night after experiencing a medical episode, the team announced Saturday.

Graham was arrested after exhibiting erratic behavior, per TMZ. After being evaluated by a doctor, the Saints believe Graham experienced a seizure. Graham was released from the hospital Saturday morning and is already back with the Saints.

The Saints released a statement Saturday, which read:

"New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham experienced a medical episode last evening, which resulted in him becoming disoriented. He was taken into custody by local authorities and transported to a local hospital for evaluation for what Dr. John Amoss believes to be a likely seizure and spent the night under medical supervision and testing. Amoss met Graham at the hospital and is overseeing his care at this time. He was released this morning and is with the team as they continue preparations for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Chargers."

Graham was reportedly arrested after police received a call about a suspicious person exhibiting erratic behavior. Officers discovered Graham wandering the streets. Police attempted to arrest Graham, who allegedly resisted.

Graham was reportedly arrested for "suspicion of being under the influence of a controlled substance and resisting, delaying and obstructing a police officer," per TMZ. Both are misdemeanors.

The Saints will play the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday. It's unclear if Graham will take part in that game

Does Richardson have any hype? I don't follow the talking head shows so I'm not sure what they are saying. The general consensus from fans, especially those who follow college football is that he's probably going to suck.

Here’s some real stupidity by the Colts. Named their raw qb starter. Then kept on the bench in yesterdays game. Irsays in the oxys again.
  • Like 2