Looking for some guinea pigs for a pet project of mine

immamac

As some of you may know I work for a big technology company that focuses on storage infrastructure and devices.

I have come up with a cool and interesting way to deploy hot-swappable NVMe into virtually any desktop/workstation/server that involved minimal invasiveness and can add up to 2 fully capable Gen 4 NVMe SSD's in up to 8TB (4TB+4TB) to any system. This will work on any computer/workstation/server that has PCIe gen 3 support or better. 

I'm looking for people especially in the San Fran/Bay area in california that we can get this into your hands and just let you take it for a "long term test drive", effectively we are handing out 8TB worth of NVMe drives that you need to install in this novel way and you get to keep them for as long as you are doing your long term test/giving us transparent feedback on your thoughts. This isn't a prototype device, it's a reference design built on enterprise grade stuff, so it's not like there is a risk of data loss associated with this. 

Also reach out if you are in the Austin area as I can get them here and hand them out as well, but would rather just keep it close to where I can just have someone drive them to you in cali.

Feel free to respond in the thread or send me a DM or email me rick@surlyhorns.com if you are lurker. 

Kinda jelly for those who can take advantage of this project; I migrated to notebooks long ago and don't have donor PCIe space to give this a shot, but assume the intent of this project is for an Enterprise-type device (server/workstation-class).

Count me in when this is repackaged in an external enclosure with a Thunderbolt-4 HBA, though at that point, it won't necessarily need the fastest NVMe.  

19 hours ago, immamac said:

As some of you may know I work for a big technology company that focuses on storage infrastructure and devices.

I have come up with a cool and interesting way to deploy hot-swappable NVMe into virtually any desktop/workstation/server that involved minimal invasiveness and can add up to 2 fully capable Gen 4 NVMe SSD's in up to 8TB (4TB+4TB) to any system. This will work on any computer/workstation/server that has PCIe gen 3 support or better. 

I'm looking for people especially in the San Fran/Bay area in california that we can get this into your hands and just let you take it for a "long term test drive", effectively we are handing out 8TB worth of NVMe drives that you need to install in this novel way and you get to keep them for as long as you are doing your long term test/giving us transparent feedback on your thoughts. This isn't a prototype device, it's a reference design built on enterprise grade stuff, so it's not like there is a risk of data loss associated with this. 

Also reach out if you are in the Austin area as I can get them here and hand them out as well, but would rather just keep it close to where I can just have someone drive them to you in cali.

Feel free to respond in the thread or send me a DM or email me rick@surlyhorns.com if you are lurker. 

Saw the thread title and figure you were getting into some Richard Gere type stuff NTTAWWT

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Kinda jelly for those who can take advantage of this project; I migrated to notebooks long ago and don't have donor PCIe space to give this a shot, but assume the intent of this project is for an Enterprise-type device (server/workstation-class).

Count me in when this is repackaged in an external enclosure with a Thunderbolt-4 HBA, though at that point, it won't necessarily need the fastest NVMe.  

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/sandisk-professional-pro-blade-transport-ssd#SDPM2NB-004T-GBAND

Your welcome for creating this. Still swappable. Have a 4 slotter with dual 20+20gbps coming soon. 

image.thumb.png.abbd899d70d67cc10d11b8de909dfc84.png

22 hours ago, immamac said:

deploy hot-swappable NVMe into virtually any desktop/workstation/server that involved minimal invasiveness and can add up to 2 fully capable Gen 4 NVMe SSD's in up to 8TB (4TB+4TB) to any system. This will work on any computer/workstation/server that has PCIe gen 3 support or better. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/sandisk-professional-pro-blade-transport-ssd#SDPM2NB-004T-GBAND

Your welcome for creating this. Still swappable. Have a 4 slotter with dual 20+20gbps coming soon. 

I assume the "blade" is sealed and not serviceable internally, but swappable with other capacities?  A dual or 4-slot enclosure with embedded RAID controller would be tits.

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I assume the "blade" is sealed and not serviceable internally, but swappable with other capacities?  A dual or 4-slot enclosure with embedded RAID controller would be tits.

You can buy any number of blades and just pop them in and out. There's no reason to service them because they are just replaceable. That's the magic and why it is cool for the internal usecase. 

On 2/8/2023 at 5:37 PM, immamac said:

Yes actually. That would be an awesome contact. 

So, this was unexpected. 

My buddy died about 3 months ago, and I didn't hear about it now.   His cell phone was no good, he didn't return emails.  I  reached a mutual acquaintance, and he's like "Jim passed away; it was all over facebook".

I don't do facebook.  Shame, he was a decent guy. 

• 3 weeks later...