2024 NBA draft - Bronny in the top ten?

closetohumping

18 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LMAO, yes actually it can be expected time to time.  You fucking idiot.  

Edit... Here you go, shit for brains.  There's many other causes but here's just one major cause of cardiac arrest (heart attack for you).  

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is traditionally viewed as the most common condition responsible for sudden cardiac death (SCD) in young athletes.[24] In a large case series of SCD in 1,866 young athletes, HCM was the causative condition identified in nearly 40 % of cases.[4] Nearly two-thirds of athletes were 17 years old or younger and still at high school. Studies have also revealed a strong male preponderance for SCD, particularly in African American athletes who compete in sports with sudden movements and adrenergic surges such as football or basketball.[5] Unfortunately over 80 % of affected individuals are asymptomatic before SCD, which often occurs during exercise or in its aftermath.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6223355/#:~:text=Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is traditionally viewed,of athletes were 17 years

Thank you for posting this as my medical acumen is pretty low on the knowledge scale. I read a website called Defector and they wrote up an article about this as well and talked in brief about athletes of this age. Basketball players seem to have the highest amount of cardiac arrest as compared to athletes in other sports. I am glad James is okay and I hope he is able to get back on the court when doctors feel the time is right.

Is Gloria James still around, maybe threatening high school principals if they don’t let her take the rims her grandsons break off home as souvenirs? As for Bronny, maybe his heart grew three sizes once he got to college and away from Lebron and Gloria. 

The Grinch Heart GIF by Peacock

On 7/25/2023 at 2:32 PM, Longhornsnus said:

The odds of him having a natural/organic heart attack at that age and fitness is like lottery level. It's one of three things:

1) There is a congenital health/heart issue that has hitherto been undisclosed by the family because it's none of our business, fine

2) Trauma like the Bills football player who took a helmet to the heart at 30mph

3) Drug use

He didn’t have a heart attack. He had cardiac arrest. There’s a difference, dumbass. 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:42 AM, LateAughtsHorn said:

Didn't we have a Westlake commit that had cardiac event during his HIGH SCHOOL game back in the 2000s? It's not unheard of. Must have been those damn hepatitis b vaccines!!

Matt Nader. Had to get defibbed on the field.

Multiple peeps beat me to it. 

Edited by hobbes2702

Matt's not a doctor, but a medical device rep for a company that makes defibrillators and implantable pacemakers. I know his parents very well (Dr Barbara Bergin - Orthopedic Surgeon, and Dr Paul Nader, Nephrologist), and I have met him on several occasions. Great kid now man. His story fits this situation perfectly, and still brings chills, how his mom was watching from the stands when he keeled over and fell, how she and Paul started CPR, and how Justin Tucker's dad (cardiologist Paul Tucker) used the brand-new sideline defibrillator that absolutely saved his life.

Here is a Statesman recent article.

https://www.statesman.com/picture-gallery/news/2023/01/04/westlake-high-school-football-matt-nader-austin-texas-longhorns/10989088002/

• Hook 'Em 6

On 7/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, lemonlime said:

You do know that cardiac arrest and heart attack are not the same thing?  No, you clearly don't know that.  There hasn't been any reporting that he suffered a heart attack.

I didn’t. I thought one was fancy name and the other a common name for the same thing. Thanks. 

On 7/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, Sawbones said:

Matt's not a doctor, but a medical device rep for a company that makes defibrillators and implantable pacemakers. I know his parents very well (Dr Barbara Bergin - Orthopedic Surgeon, and Dr Paul Nader, Nephrologist), and I have met him on several occasions. Great kid now man. His story fits this situation perfectly, and still brings chills, how his mom was watching from the stands when he keeled over and fell, how she and Paul started CPR, and how Justin Tucker's dad (cardiologist Paul Tucker) used the brand-new sideline defibrillator that absolutely saved his life.

Here is a Statesman recent article.

https://www.statesman.com/picture-gallery/news/2023/01/04/westlake-high-school-football-matt-nader-austin-texas-longhorns/10989088002/

that's a lot of doctors at one high school game... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 7:49 AM, alincoln said:

This is the third cardiac arrest of a young male athlete I have heard of this month.  The other two were in our local community.  I'm sure it is all just a strange coincidence though.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, alincoln said:

On 7/25/2023 at 12:32 PM, Longhornsnus said:

The odds of him having a natural/organic heart attack at that age and fitness is like lottery level. It's one of three things:

1) There is a congenital health/heart issue that has hitherto been undisclosed by the family because it's none of our business, fine

2) Trauma like the Bills football player who took a helmet to the heart at 30mph

3) Drug use

On 7/25/2023 at 1:45 PM, Longhornsnus said:

BuT AkShUlLy it's because heart attacks in young men at the peak of their physical fitness is totally normal and common and can be expected from time to time, just as a natural cause.

Yea.  Ended up being a congenital heart defect.  

oh but yea acShuly he’s a druggie who had too much covid vaccine

Sounds like he’s going to keep hooping. There’s precedent at USC. Their center had a similar condition and always went into cardiac arrest. He was back on the court in 6 months. 

I think Rich Paul pulls some levers and gets Bronny taken in the back half of the lottery to a LeBron approved destination. 

If he was anybody else’s kid he’d go undrafted. I wish Bronny all the best in his recovery. 

• 5 months later...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39642311/bronny-james-decide-2024-draft-based-team-interest

USC freshman guard Bronny James is expected to weigh his entry into the 2024 NBA draft based on specific team interest, not draft position, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul told ESPN on Saturday.

"I don't value a young player getting into the lottery as much as I do getting him on the right team in the right developmental situation," the agent for James' father, LeBron James, told ESPN on Saturday.

Are teams falling all over themselves to pick up a guy averaging 5 ppg on 37% shooting?

What's more, Paul said, the right team doesn't necessarily equate to Bronny James landing on a roster with his father -- although LeBron James would be "head over heels excited if that were to happen organically," Paul added.

Oh, OK.... I'm sure thats how it will happen. Organically.

Wink.gif.7573756145fe444ad98e0fdf6960d185.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Terrible mock. Reed Sheppard isn’t even the top pick from his own college team. 

He's been putting out some dumbass content lately. His player rankings was fucking whack as well.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My interest in college basketball is, admittedly, nil these days, but a 6'3" American-born white guy is #1 on a mock draft in March?? Is he making 80% of his threes or something?

I understand this is sarcasm, but he's at .526 for the season.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I understand this is sarcasm, but he's at .526 for the season.

He's a lottery pick at some point, but he's probably coming back. Both parents played at UK and he's as Big Blue Nation as they come.

That being said, he's an elite shooter, can score from all over, is a great defender (2.5 STL/game), and can certainly play PG in the NBA. He's not uber athletic, but he's quick and can finish at the rim in myriad styles.

He's a more complete college version of JJ Reddick - who was drafted 11th.

Screenshot2024-03-12at12_52_45.thumb.png.051cb9eefa88317fde4d18336ec3d106.png

Edited by MuellerHorn

Posted (edited)

He’s a nice player but if the spurs draft a 6’3” tweener with negative wingspan who can’t create his own shot with the first pick in the draft I’m chucking Gregg Popovich head first into the river in front of Dicks Last Resort. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He’s a nice player but if the spurs draft a 6’3” tweener with negative wingspan who can’t create his own shot with the first pick in the draft I’m chucking Gregg Popovich head first into the river in front of Dicks Last Resort. 

That isn't true in the slightest.

But, don't worry, the Spurs aren't drafting him.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scraps said:

They will do whatever Lebron tells them to do

This. Even though they should have traded him this season for a cornucopia of assets. They're not going to win again with him and he'll walk after next season (if he so pleases) for nothing in return.

Edited by MuellerHorn

On 3/13/2024 at 3:53 PM, MuellerHorn said:

This. Even though they should have traded him this season for a cornucopia of assets. They're not going to win again with him and he'll walk after next season (if he so pleases) for nothing in return.

Worse for the lakers- he is going to get a 3 year max and they will have to pay him. 

On 3/13/2024 at 2:10 PM, MuellerHorn said:

That isn't true in the slightest.

Is it, though? I'm talking about creating his own shot in an NBA game against NBA defenders, not against some aggie bumblefuck in the SEC. Don't get me wrong, Sheppard can hit a step back three like nobody's business and it's not hard to see him as a pick and roll lead guard (because lord knows you can't go under a screen against him). But he's not someone that you can throw the ball to with the shot clock about to expire who is going to make chicken salad out of chicken shit and go get you a bucket. He's just not. Sorry.

I'm not disparaging him. He's a very intriguing player and he's got a one of the most unusual projections to the next level that I've ever seen. The way he fills a stat sheet on the defensive end is almost logic defying for a guy with his size and athleticism. If you believe in the advanced stats, he's out of this world across the board. He does everything but get to the line and rebound. He's going to be a polarizing prospect and it's going to be interesting as hell to see where he goes in the draft.

I'm still on the fence about him, myself. I could talk myself into him being anywhere from a top 3 player on a championship team to a Fred Vanvleet to an Austin Reaves to a Desmond Bane to a Steve Alford. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 9:32 PM, Scraps said:

Lebron only trying to play with Bronny. He will be a Laker

Shouldn't be an issue because no one is drafting a bad shooter with heart problems.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I haven't seen Sears on any mock and I've been watching this crap in an almost unhealthy way since it became obvious the Spurs were in a race to the bottom. I was about to go on a rant about how terrible Kevin O'Connor has become with his never ending quest to be either: a) contrarian or b) generally recognized as a huge dumbass. But in this draft... who the fuck knows?

I don't believe it's going to be the worst draft ever, though. There are some players here. It's just that there are question marks everywhere.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39879943/usc-bronny-james-entering-nba-draft-transfer-portal

Would be funny if some desperate team drafts bronny in hopes that they can convince Lebron to opt out of his last year with the Lakers and come over and play for a year or two. 

This will be Rich Paul’s magnum opus. 

Bronny has to be a lottery pick to satisfy LeBron’s ego, but he has to be drafted by a contender. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This will be Rich Paul’s magnum opus. 

Bronny has to be a lottery pick to satisfy LeBron’s ego, but he has to be drafted by a contender. 

I think he’ll be the lakers first pick, wherever their pick may be