2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

The problem is when you run a wildcat, that will MAKE them stack the box. a WR/RB that's a wildcat QB will run it 99 times out of 100 so teams just stack the box for it... especially if you pair a wildcat QB with a double tight end set. I think the only way a wildcat QB would work is if you actually keep spread receivers out in a normal formation and have a wildcat QB that actually can throw it and you run it enough times that you do throw it enough to make it a credible threat. I don't think wildcat QBs work unless you have someone with a body like Vince or Cam Newton where you were naturally an athletic RB that knows how to play QB damn good too. Or someone like RoJo that was formerly a QB that bulked up to play RB. But even then, Sark didn't throw it enough with RoJo back at QB to make it a credible threat, so everyone just stacked the box again. 

Art Briles ran the wildcat like 9000 times with a wr and won a bowl game.

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

Man, just google it.

https://www.complex.com/life/a/tracewilliamcowen/viral-video-woman-flight-not-real-person

Sounds like a drunk woman having an episode because she lost her iPhone earbuds. Apparently Carrottop was on the flight. 

Yes, I'm being serious. 

What else can you expect with the lunatics that will be on a flight between Texas and Florida? Every flight between these two states that makes it in one piece with no one destroyed on board is a success. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I couldn't believe we had a Wild-whatever play with RoJo at QB and Card at WR, never really covered, and  not once did we even look at him, much less throw it to him. He mostly just stood there, no route run, nothing. The guy played WR as a soph, had plenty of speed... and all we did was run it, 10 against 11. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Fify. This team is overall more talented than the 08 and 09 teams. The coaching staff is also better.

Colt and Shipley arent walking through that door. They were generational talents. Colt was the best player in college football in 08. We’re not sure if Ewers is the best QB on this team.

And PK is nowhere close to Coach Blood.
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I couldn't believe we had a Wild-whatever play with RoJo at QB and Card at WR, never really covered, and  not once did we even look at him, much less throw it to him. He mostly just stood there, no route run, nothing. The guy played WR as a soph, had plenty of speed... and all we did was run it, 10 against 11. 

Yeah and just in general, when RoJo made the move to RB I expected a handful of trick plays every season involving him throwing the ball.

Makes me wonder how bad he looked throwing it in practice during his first semester on campus, to the point where the staff said “yeah take 3 steps to your left and never do that shit again.”

57 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Colt and Shipley arent walking through that door. They were generational talents. Colt was the best player in college football in 08. We’re not sure if Ewers is the best QB on this team.

Colt yes, Shipley and Cosby no. He looked generational compared to the pile of shit Mack had going at WR for a stretch. Both great receivers, neither a true #1.  Roy Williams was a generational talent. This team has 3 or 4 receivers comparable or more talented, and there's really no comparison between both WR groups as a whole. I've also heard for years how Ewers is a "generational talent", so it isn't out of the question that he could play at a similar level to Colt. I also said team. On offense, this team dwarfs both of those teams at every other position on offense before you even consider GDGD vs Sark offense. If you want to make an argument, it's for the 08 and 09 defenses, particularly the DL. I'd say it's mostly a tossup. This team doesn't have anybody like Orakpo, Kindle, or Earl Thomas I suppose. 

The takeaway is that this team can be compared to two teams that almost won national championships.

Edited by Bevo14

On 7/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, Hook1997 said:

I’ll take Ewer’s this season having Daniels competition percentage and TD/INT ratio from last year all day.  The games he played include Ark, KSU, Iowa St, not terrible competition.  

When did our QB1 start apostrophizing his last name?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Yeah and just in general, when RoJo made the move to RB I expected a handful of trick plays every season involving him throwing the ball.

Makes me wonder how bad he looked throwing it in practice during his first semester on campus, to the point where the staff said “yeah take 3 steps to your left and never do that shit again.”

Username checks out

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Colt yes, Shipley and Cosby no. He looked generational compared to the pile of shit Mack had going at WR for a stretch. Both great receivers, neither a true #1.  Roy Williams was a generational talent. This team has 3 or 4 receivers comparable or more talented, and there's really no comparison between both WR groups as a whole. I've also heard for years how Ewers is a "generational talent", so it isn't out of the question that he could play at a similar level to Colt. I also said team. On offense, this team dwarfs both of those teams at every other position on offense before you even consider GDGD vs Sark offense. If you want to make an argument, it's for the 08 and 09 defenses, particularly the DL. I'd say it's mostly a tossup. This team doesn't have anybody like Orakpo, Kindle, or Earl Thomas I suppose. 
The takeaway is that this team can be compared to two teams that almost won national championships.

I trust Shipley and Cosby to be open or make a catch more than I trust any WR on the current team.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Cross-posting...   Good discussion (July 8th)

Scipio Tex goes over best offensive position groups in B12

K-State returns 5 OL starters including three 6yr players and is Scipio's #1 OL group.

I’m starting to realize that KSU’s coach may be pretty damn smart. If you don’t have the overall talent to win, how do you maximize your chance for success? 

46 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m starting to realize that KSU’s coach may be pretty damn smart. If you don’t have the overall talent to win, how do you maximize your chance for success? 

He has more skins on the wall than any other coach in the Big 12.  No one should be shocked that he's building a team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

57 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Coach with the following good at job, more at 11:

.600 winning percentage, three 8+ win seasons, and a conference title in four years at K State, outlier being COVID season;

Five conference titles and four FCS national championships at NDSU

• Hook 'Em 1

100% this. We’re gonna get completely fucked by the zebras at least twice (at a minimum).

This year Texas Tech player will rub out of bounds, past the bleachers, up the sideline and back on to the field for a TD. The b12 will review Texas for false start and delay of game. Tech will decline.
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

This is the most talented WR room ever at Texas. If Texas had a similar offense with Simms, Williams, Thomas, and Johnson as they had with Colt, I think the other two 5-stars would have much better careers at Texas, but Davis was never an innovator. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is the most talented WR room ever at Texas. If Texas had a similar offense with Simms, Williams, Thomas, and Johnson as they had with Colt, I think the other two 5-stars would have much better careers at Texas, but Davis was never an innovator. 

Davis was fine at adapting to the people he had.   40PPG average for over a decade.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

If we can have a healthy OL and Neyor, Whittington, Worthy, Sanders and Mitchell all contribute, this offense has potential.

Don't forget our "depth" (/s) players -- Cook, Niblett, Moore. I don't recall Texas ever having a wr room with this much potential.

2008 got it done with Shipley, Cosby, Collins, and Kirkendall, but they also had the most accurate qb in CFB history throwing the ball and a big running threat (Colt) to keep defenses honest. In terms of pure wr talent and potential, it's hard to improve on what we have now.

I think the Big 12 refs will be careful this year. They'll wait until they can afflict the most pain. I fully expect them to "accidentally" screw up a call against Bama. God willing, if we make the championship game, they'll get us there too. 
See you in hell zebras. 
Pretty sure SEC refs will be doing the Bama game, and tbh I'm fine with that.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I feel like a big chunk of that was simply being to outtalent a lot of defenses.

Getting talent was/is part of the job.   Adapting to it is/was part of the job.  The biggest fuck-up we had was not getting a serviceable backup to Colt.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Doesn’t matter. Just failure 

Um, it does matter.   If the boss makes a decision, the decision is made.  I have had idiotic boss directives before (you want me to divert resources from a paying customer to chase after an unlikely prospect?)  No amount of reasoning worked.  They were full steam ahead. Sort of a kindred spirit to that titanic sub CEO.

12 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:
2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Getting talent was/is part of the job.   Adapting to it is/was part of the job.  The biggest fuck-up we had was not getting a serviceable backup to Colt.  

Mack was too busy sucking up to Gilbert Grape and his helicopter dad.  Should have let Sherrod Harris be the backup & given him more minutes, rather than trying to get Colt the Heisman when games were comfortably in hand.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Might never have happened had we not resorted to calling a play with little reward and massive risk. I believe that would have been Davis. If Colt finishes the game, we win and there’s no need change offensive philosophy.

Bro, what are you talking about? It was a power option left on 1st and 10 at the 11 yard line. 

It is a very safe play. QB keeps and turns behind the pulling OL if the pitch man is covered at all. If defense doesn't play pitch, QB makes a pitch and RB races to the cone. 

It was just a weird injury on a hit that happens a couple times a game if the QB runs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bro, what are you talking about? It was a power option left on 1st and 10 at the 11 yard line. 
It is a very safe play. QB keeps and turns behind the pulling OL if the pitch man is covered at all. If defense doesn't play pitch, QB makes a pitch and RB races to the cone. 
It was just a weird injury on a hit that happens a couple times a game if the QB runs. 

We had one guy we couldn’t lose. Not a big guy at that. A play that virtually guarantees a hit on your QB and the one guy you can’t lose. So no, it was not a safe play.

It was not anywhere not amongst our best plays in the playbook either. And you’re correct he was going left which probably exposed his throwing shoulder more. So even if he’s not hurt on the play, you still don’t want a shot on that shoulder.

But hey if it works well, we get 7-8 yards. We didn’t have many others that could have done that.

We’re not great at running the play equals little reward. Guaranteed hit on your QB equals high risk.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I get the affection we have around here for Colt and Ship, but we have a few receivers on our current roster that have first round potential, Ship wasn't that guy. Outside of Quan and Ship, who was our third best WR during that time period? Brandon Collins? Colt and Ship were special college players in the way they went about their business and brought consistency with them every single game, but when talking about generational talent, that's something entirely different.

Ewers probably won't be as locked in as Colt was in 08/09 (like the 2014 Spurs, Im not sure it's, humanly possible to be more efficient than Colt was those two years.), but he has more weapons at WR and should damn sure have a better line. He'll also probably make a couple of arm talent plays that Colt couldn't make. Then throw in Sark vs GD and it's pretty clear that on paper, our 23 offense should be miles ahead of 08, and especially 09.

That being said, until we actually win hardware, I will continue to expect us to lose 4+ games every year. I can only take so much disappointment. 

7 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

I get the affection we have around here for Colt and Ship, but we have a few receivers on our current roster that have first round potential, Ship wasn't that guy. Outside of Quan and Ship, who was our third best WR during that time period? Brandon Collins? Colt and Ship were special college players in the way they went about their business and brought consistency with them every single game, but when talking about generational talent, that's something entirely different.

Ewers probably won't be as locked in as Colt was in 08/09 (like the 2014 Spurs, Im not sure it's, humanly possible to be more efficient than Colt was those two years.), but he has more weapons at WR and should damn sure have a better line. He'll also probably make a couple of arm talent plays that Colt couldn't make. Then throw in Sark vs GD and it's pretty clear that on paper, our 23 offense should be miles ahead of 08, and especially 09.

That being said, until we actually win hardware, I will continue to expect us to lose 4+ games every year. I can only take so much disappointment. 

He was the leader on the team in number of carries on the season, yet you're saying this one play was bad because it was unsafe one? 

Sure, in hindsight, the result was terrible, but the play call was fine. OL didn't block it all that well, and the backside DE made an average tackle. It was an average run play for the Texas offense. 

But let's move on. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

2023 OL and RB should be way ahead of 09, and that should mean something. 

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

He was the leader on the team in number of carries on the season, yet you're saying this one play was bad because it was unsafe one? 

Sure, in hindsight, the result was terrible, but the play call was fine. OL didn't block it all that well, and the backside DE made an average tackle. It was an average run play for the Texas offense. 

But let's move on. 

That is not the post I quoted, surly gremlin.