Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

To be fair, when you actually recruit basketball players and not just “dudes who jump super high and shit” like Shaka, you get better FT results. It’s no surprise that list is entirely Barnes, Beard and RT. Not a Shaka team on there 

19 hours ago, RichUT said:

This is where I'm at with 3 point shooting as well. We've been worse at the line than we've been from deep, but I still struggle to think of the last team that really caused any of our opponents to guard us differently because we shot the ball so well. 

Both Rice and Carr punished team's that chose to leave them open from 3 last season. 

Max Abmas named Preseason All Big. Joined by Cryer (UH), Dickinson (KU), Harris (KU), Miller (TCU)

Disu, Hunter and Mitchell were honorable mention

No surprise - Hunter Dickinson (KU) named preseason Player and Newcomer of the Year and Baylor's Ja'Coby Walter is preseason Freshman of the Year

Preseason poll:

2023-24 Big 12 Preseason Poll

1. Kansas (12)   168
2. Houston (2) 153
3. Texas 143
4. Baylor 137
5. TCU 113
6. Kansas State 106
7. Iowa State 95
8. Texas Tech 80
9. West Virginia 70
10. Oklahoma State 57
11. Cincinnati 55
12. Oklahoma 54
13. BYU 29
14. UCF 14

Coaches were not permitted to vote for their own team.

On 10/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

We have been so bad for so long.  Did you miss the "battered wife syndrome" part of my post?

Jesus, you people will parse anything.  Tell me, if you've been following Texas basketball for, say, more than 20  years, would you consider this a "good free-throw shooting program"?

lol ok derka. FT shooting has been a major strength for this program the last two years when we've finished 2nd and 1st in the BXII respectively in FT%. last year great FT shooting was a hallmark of this team.

IMG_3083.thumb.png.9170dd862a6b8edb837b9e2167e8519b.png

people have also pointed out to you that we really only consistently sucked under shaka. penders, barnes, beard, terry all have had good-great FT shooting teams. but you don't care. you remain unfazed.

you: "we've been so bad for so long at FTs that i can't believe we'll be good at them this year."

the board: "we've been good at FTs both of the last two years, and generally good outside of the shaka years."

you: "JESUS CHRIST YOU PEOPLE WILL PARSE ANYTHING!"

LOL. but don't let that stop you from snapping on everyone else like it's their problem that you haven't been keeping up with the team. 👌🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol ok derka. FT shooting has been a major strength for this program the last two years when we've finished 2nd and 1st in the BXII respectively in FT%. last year great FT shooting was a hallmark of this team.

IMG_3083.thumb.png.9170dd862a6b8edb837b9e2167e8519b.png

people have also pointed out to you that we really only consistently sucked under shaka. penders, barnes, beard, terry all have had good-great FT shooting teams. but you don't care. you remain unfazed.

you: "we've been so bad for so long at FTs that i can't believe we'll be good at them this year."

the board: "we've been good at FTs both of the last two years, and generally good outside of the shaka years."

you: "JESUS CHRIST YOU PEOPLE WILL PARSE ANYTHING!"

LOL. but don't let that stop you from snapping on everyone else like it's their problem that you haven't been keeping up with the team. 👌🏼 

denzel washington GIF

• Haha 1

also, i never saw this posted here, but max abmas spent this summer training with Trae Young and KD. i am expecting him to be the best version of himself that he's ever been, and that translates into a 1st team AA caliber guard for us. even if we have too much depth/talent for Abmas to receive such accolades, he could very feasibly be one of the 3-5 best guards in America. the hype about this back court is real, and abmas is the top dog. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HookEm said:

Now I will start to pay the price for switching to YouTube TV, which has no LHN. PM me if anyone has a reliable way to stream it.

The weird thing is YTTV is "connected" to LHN.  They just don't show it.  

If you're at all technical, you might look into Channels for YTTV.  
The interface is way better.  Channels DVR plays & DVR's all of the TVE channels that YTTV offers, which is most of them.

https://getchannels.com/

Son went for the first half.  Said that Mitchell looked really good.  He made multiple turn around jump shots.  He said that Weaver flashed some.  Also said that not being at full strength really seemed to disrupt things.  Players just couldn’t get into a good groove.

Edited by txhorns

On 10/18/2023 at 8:53 AM, MAUFRAIS said:

I really like basketball games in Gregory, but wish we had a basketball only vintage court to move in there for when they are played.

There was never a vintage basketball court because the volleyball team also played there so they had volleyball lines on the court as well. but I agree, it would have been nice.