2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Which contract will end up being worse? Abreu or Montero? 

I hated and freaked out and pissed everyone off for a week after the Montero signing. I loooooved the Abreu signing. 1 for 2.  Better than the Astros are doing right now at 0-2. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Sure would have been nice to bring Vazquez, Gurriel, & Mancini back rather than being locked into 3 seasons of post decline Joey Bautista.

Those 3 have a combined -0.6 WAR. They weren’t the answer either man. I mean- yeah the money and contract length combined was less, and the production is amazingly better even as ugly as it was, but that wasn’t the answer. 

I don’t understand how anyone has been seeing anything other than a wholly mediocre, .500-ish team when you look at this roster. 

Jose Altuve alone isn’t fixing this. And there aren’t going to be any moves to be made at the deadline that are going to fix this, because the Astros don’t have much prospect capital and they’re more than a few patches away from being any kind of real contender. 

It didn’t have to go this way, but the owner wanted to play GM over the winter.

Would Lunhow have signed Abreu to that deal? Montero? Is that how he would have allocated resources? Hell, would Click? Of course not. It was a negligent off-season coming off of a WS title. Hubris. This is what the owner deserves, frankly.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, David Dennison said:

When was the last time we were under .500 this deep into the season, COVID year notwithstanding?

yeah i think 2016, but to be fair we have hovered around .500 the last two seasons until about this time (5/4-5/11) and then they actually pulled their heads out of their asses and took off.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Those 3 have a combined -0.6 WAR. They weren’t the answer either man. I mean- yeah the money and contract length combined was less, and the production is amazingly better even as ugly as it was, but that wasn’t the answer. 

A bit of an unrelated point, but it's absolutely wild how terrible almost every ex-Astro is doing this season.

Aledmys Diaz: -1.0 WAR

Trey Mancini: -0.7

Tony Kemp: -0.5

George Springer: -0.5 

Yuli Gurriel: 0.0

Christian Vazquez: 0.1 

Carlos Correa: 0.2 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don’t understand how anyone has been seeing anything other than a wholly mediocre, .500-ish team when you look at this roster. 

I'm panicking, too, but this is not a .500 roster.  Any .600 team turns into a .500 team or even a .400 team with this many injures stacked up in a short time.

I know shit looks bleak right now, but help is on the way. In the next few weeks we will add:

A former MVP and reigning silver slugger at 2B;

A legit 2-3 starter with potential to pitch like an ace when he's on; and

a career .300 hitter. 

The lineup gets longer and the rotation gets stronger.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Why would you expect anything more from a team this hampered by injuries?

This roster, when healthy, is one of the best in baseball.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

51 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why would you expect anything more from a team this hampered by injuries?

This roster, when healthy, is one of the best in baseball.

The sports pessimist is the easiest online space to occupy.  You get to say "see, I was right" when things aren't going well, and then be "pleasantly surprised" when things turn around.

• Hook 'Em 2

They gave up after the Angels took the lead. Tucker looked uninterested in his last at bat, just waved at bad pitches. 

I’d say they’re slumping/in a post championship lull. They wanted the second championship badly, they won and became comfortable. They need Altuve to come back reignite the competitive fire. I think they’ll eek by until the little guy is in the lineup. But it won’t be pretty. 

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Gilbert hits in AA like he did in A ball until the ASB, you call him up.

I know this may sound crazy, but CF really isn't the problem right now. Chas had a 122 OPS+ before his injury, and Jake has been much better in his absence. Abreu needs to unfuck himself and Yanier needs to hit his way into the lineup. Maldy gets a lot of shit, and rightfully so, but his OPS+ is 39 and Yanier's is a whopping 51. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Game by game….

we need 8 from framber 

need runs, Abreu and bregman need to get going 

dubon needs to get back to working counts. He’s up their swinging too aggressive 

unpopular opinion, Diaz isn’t used to our bullpen yet. It’s showing, need to keep bringing along. 

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know this may sound crazy, but CF really isn't the problem right now. Chas had a 122 OPS+ before his injury, and Jake has been much better in his absence. Abreu needs to unfuck himself and Yanier needs to hit his way into the lineup. Maldy gets a lot of shit, and rightfully so, but his OPS+ is 39 and Yanier's is a whopping 51. 

Yes, why potentially bring up an impact bat when you have fucking below league average Jake Meyers.

Another name to watch on the farm. Joey Loperfido. 7th rounder in 2021 from Duke. So far in the minors, .293/.394/.484, take away his disastrous 1st 19 games in rookie ball, and holy crap this kid can rake. Since being promoted to Corpus has homered in his last 4 games, while carrying a triple slash of .375/.508/.708 through his 1st 13 games.

Plays 1B, CF, and 2B at 6'3" 220.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Another name to watch on the farm. Joey Loperfido. 7th rounder in 2021 from Duke. So far in the minors, .293/.394/.484, take away his disastrous 1st 19 games in rookie ball, and holy crap this kid can rake. Since being promoted to Corpus has homered in his last 4 games, while carrying a triple slash of .375/.508/.708 through his 1st 13 games.

Plays 1B, CF, and 2B at 6'3" 220.

You had me at he can play 1st.