45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

22 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I'm just fucking sick of him getting his way. He wasn't supposed to talk! And if he went off the rails, he's to be fined $50k. Well?

The assessment of damages is coming.  Don't touch that dial.

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Well, I guess let's just keep on hoping that eventually Baby Donald gets a spanking instead of every little treat his heart desires

You pointed out a few posts ago he was found liable for rape. I suspect when Engoron rules, Trump will not be very happy. 

9 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

You pointed out a few posts ago he was found liable for rape. I suspect when Engoron rules, Trump will not be very happy. 

Fuckin' nothing came of his civil rape verdict. E Jean Carroll is having to sue him again lmao 

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, the threatened 50k fine was only if he violated the existing gag order, again, which he did not.  See Engoron email of 1/5 at 13:18.

Ty for clarifying that

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

it is extremely frustrating and an exemplification of how celebrities/wealthy/etc... have a double standard.

that said, as i said earlier, the primary concern procedurally for any state court judge in a bench trial is not making an error on not allowing evidence/facts/testimony in that would allow an appellate court to say that decision was prejudicial or in violation of due process/constitutional rights/etc...  for good reason by the way.  but when it is a bench trial, the judge has no jury to protect so they can put it all towards weight and take that arrow out of any appellant's quiver.  that's why things like dauberting experts is a more tedious process in a jury trial than a bench trial.  letting trump run a clown show pointlessly to the trier of fact (the judge) who clearly sees what a piece of shit he is actually undermines trump's ability to try and undo any of it through the appellate process.  they completely fucked themselves on their outcome in this trial and one of its potential appellate paths so he could have a pointless tantrum.

him getting his way is insanely frustrating when the piece of shit should have been shot to mars by now but in this case, there's a bit of napoleon at play here...giving him the rope to hang himself.

Yeah, it's clear why Engoron has been giving Trump a long leash throughout the trial. What's less clear is why he initially denied the request to speak.  I don't think it matters legally, but backtracking after the bomb threat will absolutely encourage Trump's supporters to keep that shit up.  

As a bit of an aside, man it fucking sucks how much further reasonable district judges have to go to these days to try to protect justice from Trump's cronies at the appellate level. We can probably think of at least a dozen cases off the top of our heads where a judge has prepared a watertight, 100-120+ page opinion painstakingly explaining why the law requires a particular outcome, only to have a circuit panel or conservative SCOTUS majority write some lunatic screed that's the intellectual equivalent of smearing shit over all of the walls while ranting about the Jews. That's not going to happen here (at least not before it gets to SCOTUS) because we're dealing with New York courts, but I think this illustrates just how corrosive an impact Trump and the modern GOP has had on the judicial system generally.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I'm just fucking sick of him getting his way. He wasn't supposed to talk! And if he went off the rails, he's to be fined $50k. Well?

I get it, but in his few minutes of blabbering, he actually confessed to part of the crime, so now that's on the record.  It's not as if Engoran, was going to be remotely persuaded by his bullshit.  

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I get it, but in his few minutes of blabbering, he actually confessed to part of the crime, so now that's on the record.  It's not as if Engoran, was going to be remotely persuaded by his bullshit.  

The state is already mentioning that in their closing after the break.

1 minute ago
1 minute ago
Jonah Bromwich Reporting from inside the courtroom

Amer moves on to Trump’s own testimony, in which he said he reviewed the annual financial statements, as well as that of Michael Cohen, the former president's one-time fixer. Cohen said that Trump asked him to reverse-engineer his desired net worth by boosting the value of his assets.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, it's clear why Engoron has been giving Trump a long leash throughout the trial. What's less clear is why he initially denied the request to speak.  I don't think it matters legally, but backtracking after the bomb threat will absolutely encourage Trump's supporters to keep that shit up.  

As a bit of an aside, man it fucking sucks how much further reasonable district judges have to go to these days to try to protect justice from Trump's cronies at the appellate level. We can probably think of at least a dozen cases off the top of our heads where a judge has prepared a watertight, 100-120+ page opinion painstakingly explaining why the law requires a particular outcome, only to have a circuit panel or conservative SCOTUS majority write some lunatic screed that's the intellectual equivalent of smearing shit over all of the walls while ranting about the Jews. That's not going to happen here (at least not before it gets to SCOTUS) because we're dealing with New York courts, but I think this illustrates just how corrosive an impact Trump and the modern GOP has had on the judicial system generally.

I think his misstep was saying that the attorney had to agree to the condition and when there was no response he said the request was denied. The emails say a few times that trump would have to agree at the outset of his comments to limit it to the evidence and trial. The judge should have just left it open ended. "I will allow him to talk, within the time for oral argument, if and only if he says on the record before speaking that he agrees to the limitations." That would have been more clear, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think his misstep was saying that the attorney had to agree to the condition and when there was no response he said the request was denied. The emails say a few times that trump would have to agree at the outset of his comments to limit it to the evidence and trial. The judge should have just left it open ended. "I will allow him to talk, within the time for oral argument, if and only if he says on the record before speaking that he agrees to the limitations." That would have been more clear, in my opinion.

But he didn't do that, either.

More from the live NYT thread that makes it seem like Jr and Eric have derped their way out of it.

ET10 minutes ago
10 minutes ago
Jonah BromwichReporting from inside the courtroom

Amer has moved to trying to show that Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. acted with intent to defraud. He says that evidence demonstrates that they played an active role in a 2021 financial statement that included fraudulent values. He is delving into emails that show Eric Trump had knowledge of the statements. Both Trump sons had denied any serious involvement in, or even knowledge of, the statements.

Engoron interrupts. He says that the attorney general’s post-trial brief doesn’t have much evidence that Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. knew there was fraud. “I haven’t seen it,” the judge says. This comment is about the best news from this trial that Eric and Donald Trump Jr. have received in months.

It is notable that Engoron did not make the same complaint about lack of evidence regarding the former president himself.

Amer responds that the Trump sons would have to have had their heads in the sand not to know. Amer argues that Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. participated in a 2021 call about that annual financial statement, and so “absolutely in 2021, they had more than constructive knowledge, they had actual knowledge.”

Edited by SimonBolivar

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

But he didn't do that, either.

I know I'm being redundant of others, but it was a bench trial.  Letting him speak (with no cameras present) does him little good; what are his supporters going to do, read?  It removes this as an an issue to prolong the appellate process.  And it creates a situation where Trump only can damage his case.  If it were a jury trial, the calculus would have been different.

The baby got his bottle.  But daddy hasn't spared the rod.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

As a point of clarity, what he and Kise were "negotiating" was some unspecified and unlimited part of the closing argument that Trump would give, subject only to the time limitations of the argument itself (and Engoron's limitations).

What transpired was that toward the end of the allotted time, when whoever was speaking would be cut off, regardless of what they were saying, Engoron granted Trump a few minutes to bloviate and cut him off when time elapsed.

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

The baby got his bottle.  But daddy hasn't spared the rod.

Let me know when he actually faces consequences, like having to sell properties to pay huge fines or going to jail.  Until then he hasn't gotten any rod.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Let me know when he actually faces consequences, like having to sell properties to pay huge fines or going to jail.  Until then he hasn't gotten any rod.

Will do.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

He didn't deny Trump the opportunity to speak as was pointed out above. He was told he could speak if he stuck to the facts of this particular case and didn't veer off into a campaign stump speech or into territory that has nothing to do with his civil fraud case. Either he or his attorneys wouldn't agree to those terms and Engoron extended the deadline to respond multiple times before saying he wouldn't allow him to speak. He relented today and then apparently shut it down when Trump started doing exactly what we all thought he would do.

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Which will be appealed. Then appealed again. Ad naseum. DOtarD will be in the grave before he pays a fucking penny to anybody. 

Him and Alex Jones.  Who knew you could owe literally hundreds of millions of dollars to people, never pay it, and never face consequences for not paying it?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Which will be appealed. Then appealed again. Ad naseum. DOtarD will be in the grave before he pays a fucking penny to anybody. 

Undertaker/funeral home...  or is Melania going to bury him by the grease trap at his Jersey club?

2 minutes ago
2 minutes ago

Engoron says that he knows everyone is anxious to get a decision. He says he will do his best to issue a final decision in the case by Jan. 31. He says it’s not a promise or a guarantee, but he’s reasonably confident he’ll be able to meet that deadline.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

2 minutes ago
2 minutes ago

Engoron says that he knows everyone is anxious to get a decision. He says he will do his best to issue a final decision in the case by Jan. 31. He says it’s not a promise or a guarantee, but he’s reasonably confident he’ll be able to meet that deadline.

Why/Why the fuck does he not have a final decision now? Aren't they fucking done?

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

2 minutes ago
2 minutes ago

That's because a good chunk of the decision is already written or at least outlined in considerable detail.

So when the fine is revealed, and it is inevitably appealed, does he have to put the equivalent of the judgment up in a bond a la Rudy?  Or in lieu of that, could the independent monitor be tasked with liquidating to satisfy that amount in order to meet a bond?  

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why/Why the fuck does he not have a final decision now? Aren't they fucking done?

Because we want a well-reasoned decision instead of a rushed one.  The "ad nauseum" appellate process referenced above will benefit in expediency as a result.  

Also, by January 31 could mean tomorrow or next week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

So when the fine is revealed, and it is inevitably appealed, does he have to put the equivalent of the judgment up in a bond a la Rudy?  Or in lieu of that, could the independent monitor be tasked with liquidating to satisfy that amount in order to meet a bond?  

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say typically, yes that is required.  However, in this case, they will waive that demand and he will continue on, business as usual.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Bench trials usually require extensive findings of fact and conclusions of law. This was a multi day trial with lots of evidence. And it will be appealed and scrutinized as nauseam by the press. Jan. 31 is pretty damn fast for a written decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say typically, yes that is required.  However, in this case, they will waive that demand and he will continue on, business as usual.

Well, except it's not been business as usual for the organization for a quite some time now, the independent monitor has been preventing a financial free for all (their business as usual) since being installed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

He put up a $5.6M supercedeas bond in the appeal of the first defamation suit against Carroll.  I'm not sure if he asked the federal court to stay execution of the judgment pending appeal, but that was an option for the court and he ended up having to go the bond route.  So there's that.

Edited by dcbc

I have truly appreciated the legal information and analysis over the last few years. Perhaps I'm becoming unhinged in some quiet despairing way. 

16 hours ago, sidis said:

it is extremely frustrating and an exemplification of how celebrities/wealthy/etc... have a double standard.

that said, as i said earlier, the primary concern procedurally for any state court judge in a bench trial is not making an error on not allowing evidence/facts/testimony in that would allow an appellate court to say that decision was prejudicial or in violation of due process/constitutional rights/etc...  for good reason by the way.  but when it is a bench trial, the judge has no jury to protect so they can put it all towards weight and take that arrow out of any appellant's quiver.  that's why things like dauberting experts is a more tedious process in a jury trial than a bench trial.  letting trump run a clown show pointlessly to the trier of fact (the judge) who clearly sees what a piece of shit he is actually undermines trump's ability to try and undo any of it through the appellate process.  they completely fucked themselves on their outcome in this trial and one of its potential appellate paths so he could have a pointless tantrum.

him getting his way is insanely frustrating when the piece of shit should have been shot to mars by now but in this case, there's a bit of napoleon at play here...giving him the rope to hang himself.

Reading the intelligent post above, I have begun to have a vision of how the denouement of the republic is playing out. Regarding all of this stuff, it's like we're playing a game of chess against Trump with no time limit. Yay! We take one of his pieces every once in awhile, but the King is castled and safe. We have the upper hand, but he delays every move. 

All the judgments against him feel like small and petty things. Stuff on a chessboard. What does eventual victory even look like?

Meanwhile, Trump fights us on the real ground. This absurd and wicked man says out loud that he will rule with absolute power. He's been found in a civil court to be a rapist. Polls show he is a credible threat to win the presidential election. Even if he doesn't, does it matter? Will he concede? Will his army pause?

"Yes, but look how well we're doing in the chess game!"

"It's too slow and ultimately meaningless."

"You just don't understand the chess game! If you did, you'd see why the upperhand we have will pay off!"

I'll go ahead and put all my money into buggywhips! Can't go wrong. 

16 hours ago, safe sex said:

Well, I guess let's just keep on hoping that eventually Baby Donald gets a spanking instead of every little treat his heart desires

Safe sex throws up her hands and writes the absurdity. We see something obvious. We see crimes, insurrection, rape, state secrets waved around, Russian influence, billions from the Saudis, and a constant stream of lies from a President of the United States

Hoo boy, he's really about to get it!

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

The assessment of damages is coming.  Don't touch that dial.

I can barely care about this pending "victory." Will he pay it? Can they force him? Will it impede the destruction of the Republic by him and his GOP criminal organization? On the chessboard, a knight goes down. Next move will be a few months down the line. 

Yeah, things are going swell.

16 hours ago, gernblansten said:

Penalty for rape and serial sexual assault with a chance of child trafficking: I sentence you to diminution of your happiness. 

And it's all fucking obvious. Right in front of everybody's eyes.

I'm with the writers below.

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why? Because those are the rules of chess! We've got our eyes on taking that bishop at the end of the year.

Do we still win if he picks up the board whacks us on the side of the head? Then he pisses on the board? What do we do?

Well, that's obvious. We wipe the piss off the board, set up the pieces, and challenge that SOB to another game! This time we'll really get him, boys!

The action to take is obvious and extra-legal. It must be so because plain ol' legal doesn't put a traitorous insurrectionist who we have on video tape from even being remanded to jail.  He's the president, you know. Decorum and precedent.

Maybe I particularly resent that I don't really find the fire in myself to risk anything to stop this. Will I drag my aging ass out to fight? Will I do more than post on this message board? Maybe I'm being punked because I'm a punk. I also resent that I now loathe my country and my home state.

Sorry to go on so long. I'll go back to ridiculing Aggies. Maybe that's my chess game. Sigh.

Edited by RomaVicta
typos
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Cannot stop laughing at this photo.  Left to right:  smarmy smirking attorney; an enraged Trump; Melania look-alike who Trump has undoubtedly banged/attempted to bang.

Trump's glowering is the best part 

image.png.89791289d7cffa2861431949f97a8b56.png

Dewey, Cheatem & Howe Law Firm 

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Cannot stop laughing at this photo.  Left to right:  smarmy smirking attorney; an enraged Trump; Melania look-alike who Trump has undoubtedly banged/attempted to bang.

Trump's glowering is the best part 

image.png.89791289d7cffa2861431949f97a8b56.png

Smirking attorney got paid upfront.  

Well, except it's not been business as usual for the organization for a quite some time now, the independent monitor has been preventing a financial free for all (their business as usual) since being installed.  

Have they? He transferred out 40 million to his personal account in November without telling the monitor. Nothing happened.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Have they? He transferred out 40 million to his personal account in November without telling the monitor. Nothing happened.

I could be wrong on this, but from memory I thought they prevented him from doing this though he attempted to.  If that is in fact the case, I'd say that portion of it is working.  

Then again, my memory of it might be wrong.  

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe I particularly resent that I don't really find the fire in myself to risk anything to stop this. Will I drag my aging ass out to fight? Will I do more than post on this message board? Maybe I'm being punked because I'm a punk. I also resent that I now loathe my country and my home state.

I'm really curious if he "wins" the election how many people will actually sit on the sidelines.  I will damn sure be in the streets and using my constitutional right to free assembly. 

I have truly appreciated the legal information and analysis over the last few years. Perhaps I'm becoming unhinged is some quiet despairing way. 

Why? Because those are the rules of chess! We've got our eyes on taking that bishop at the end of the year.
Do we still win if he picks up the board whacks us on the side of the head? Then he pisses on the board? What do we do?
Well, that's obvious. We wipe the piss off the board, set up the pieces, and challenge that SOB to another game! This time we'll really get him, boys!
The action to take is obvious and extra-legal. It must be so because plain ol' legal doesn't put a traitorous insurrectionist who we have on video tape from even being remanded to jail.  He's the president, you know. Decorum and precedent.
Sorry to go on so long. I'll go back to ridiculing Aggies. Maybe that's my chess game. Sigh.

Bottom line: a society based on the rule of law, to any real extent, has no good way to deal with rich/powerful people who simply opt out of the rule of law.
The GQP has found the cheat code to defeat and destroy the Republic: all you have to do is select the “rules for thee, not for me” option. The old bit about two classes of people: those who the law binds, but does not protect (us decent folks), and those who the law protects, but does not bind (the GQP).
They’ve opted out of the rule of law. That happens. It also means they’ve opted into a different set of rules. The rest of us should be prepared to play, and win, under those rules.
Warning: it involves a lot of dead people. It’s utterly stupid, insane, and indefensible. But they’ve set the rules and the field of play.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I could be wrong on this, but from memory I thought they prevented him from doing this though he attempted to.  If that is in fact the case, I'd say that portion of it is working.  
It happened. They found out after. It's not working.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-breaks-court-ruling-moving-232443293.html

Pretty early on out of law school, I was one of a not so small number of lawyers from various firms involved in a multimillion dollar fraud suit that became a multimillion dollar collection case.  It definitely isn't a quick process.  But (1) it's death by 1,000 paper cuts for the defendant(s), the plaintiffs ultimately collected, the civil fraud defendant was convicted in federal court during the process of securities fraud, he absconded and lammed it for over eight years, and currently resides in federal prison on a sentence he won't outlive. 

The enjoyable part of this person's life ended with that civil fraud judgment.  The rest was pretty miserable for him. 

Yes, things are more pressing here.  Time is a commodity.  But I disagree with the notion that the judgments are meaningless.  Remember the other Teflon Don.

But as with all things future-predicting, as the Zen Master said, "We'll see."

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

They didn't prevent it, the payments were legitimate, mostly taxes according to Judge Jones, but were unreported.

5 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Most likely, if he wants to postpone execution/collection of the judgment.  However, there are reasons a plaintiff might hold off on attempting to execute a judgment pending appeal.  That's the only penalty for not posting such a bond.  I doubt he can do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Most likely, if he wants to postpone execution/collection of the judgment.  However, there are reasons a plaintiff might hold off on attempting to execute a judgment pending appeal.  That's the only penalty for not posting such a bond.  I doubt he can do it.

So if we have that correct, in my mind the Trump org, and it's house of cards spirals pretty quickly starting in about a month.  

I've always thought he's a total house of cards, and upside down on pretty much everything.  Assuming all this is correct, we might find out sooner than people think.  

So if we have that correct, in my mind the Trump org, and it's house of cards spirals pretty quickly starting in about a month.  
I've always thought he's a total house of cards, and upside down on pretty much everything.  Assuming all this is correct, we might find out sooner than people think.  
Believe me, I want nothing more. I've just lost faith that anything meaningful will happen to this asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yes, things are more pressing here.  Time is a commodity.  But I disagree with the notion that the judgments are meaningless. 

In what context are they meaningful? In Trump's financial life? I'll agree with that. So the judgments are not absolutely meaningless. There's been a victory in court. 

In the context of stopping a person accelerating the decline of the republic, my eyes tell me the judgments are trivial. These are the same eyes that watched the assault on the Capitol. They saw the impeachment where the criminal organization called the GЯP stood behind the would-be tyrant. 

Trump pays no price in reputation or political standing. He's set up the rubes to believe any assault on his character is a bad reflection on the people exposing and prosecuting him.

I hope my growing cynicism is proved wrong, but there are so many tributaries to this river of shit magma including "Christians," and ruthless business industries who combine to deny the science proving that we face the greatest natural cataclysm to ever loom before civilization. 

The two Dems who berated the GOP for their Trump toading in Congress are the first glimmer of the faint chance that decorum will be dropped and bare knuckles adoopted. 

Okay, back to laughing at TexAgs for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

In what context are they meaningful? In Trump's financial life? I'll agree with that. So the judgments are not absolutely meaningless. There's been a victory in court. 

In the context of stopping a person accelerating the decline of the republic, my eyes tell me the judgments are trivial. These are the same eyes that watched the assault on the Capitol. They saw the impeachment where the criminal organization called the GЯP stood behind the would-be tyrant. 

Trump pays no price in reputation or political standing. He's set up the rubes to believe any assault on his character is a bad reflection on the people exposing and prosecuting him.

I hope my growing cynicism is proved wrong, but there are so many tributaries to this river of shit magma including "Christians," and ruthless business industries who combine to deny the science proving that we face the greatest natural cataclysm to ever loom before civilization. 

The two Dems who berated the GOP for their Trump toading in Congress are the first glimmer of the faint chance that decorum will be dropped and bare knuckles adoopted. 

Okay, back to laughing at TexAgs for me.

I get the frustration entirely, because this has been agonizingly slow.  However, Trump just died financially in court today in his prized world of real estate shenanigans.  In my opinion, his financial house of cards, at least in that realm are over.  Sure, his group of rubes may well continue to fund his lifestyle for a while, but today was win, in a case I will remind you he's already lost.  This wasn't to potentially get off the hook, it was to see how bad the hook will be; and he did absolutely nothing to help himself in that regard at all.  

As for the criminal side of all this, the wagons are circling, and not on his side.  Again, it's been agonizingly slow, but judgment for his criminality is on his doorstep.  The Appeals Court didn't laugh in his face, but they might as well have.  He made such a ridiculous argument that even this Supreme Court, as awful as it is, won't be inclined to help him (again, my opinion).  His ridiculous immunity defense played out to the highest level, he now has 3 felony criminal trials in the next 6 to 9 months, and little if anything he can do to stop them.  

Eventually, even the biggest rubes can spot a loser.  They won't change their belief system in all likelihood, they will just move on to some other demigod, but they will move on from a loser; and make no mistake Donald Trump is a big fat Big Mac sauce sweating loser.  If he lives long enough, more than a year or so, he will get to see his financial "empire" in ruins (already are, but you know what I mean), his political clout completely gone, and his freedom gone.  In an odd way, I hope he does (thought at times I waver).  For now, I personally enjoy thinking about that sound that must be constantly ringing in his head, which is inevitability and fear.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1