True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

Esquire is helping me fill in some holes that I missed in the first three episodes (either due to fatigue or late-might inebriation):

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a46553371/true-detective-season-4-episode-3-recap/

HERE'S ANOTHER TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY RECAP, ESQUIRE READERS. I NEED YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT—what? My editor dared me to write this entire recap just like Danvers constructs her text messages: in all-caps with a slight hint of panic. Not working for you? [Ed note: Please revert to all caps like I told you to.]

So far, season 4 hasn't picked a side: it flirted with the idea of blowing up season 1's cosmic-supernatural-creepo happenings into a full-blown story arc but it also maintained a strong basis of true-crime possibilities, by way of Danvers's science and fact-based investigation. Before this week, we saw the ghost of Daddy Cohle, a big-ass polar bear in the middle of Ennis's streets, and a potentially demonic DVD copy of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. But it was still unclear whether or not Night Country's otherworldly elements would take a backseat to earthly horrors (see: the very-real Tuttle family's crimes at the heart of season 1's Yellow King plot).

A Tsalal scientist erupting in a fit of demonic possession settled that one for us. Let's dive in—just make sure to set your Tinder radius to Fairbanks first.

Navarro Exposition Time

At long last, Night Country finally treats us to some extended time with Navarro. But before I get there, a moment of praise for Kali Reis. Two years ago, she was knocking opponents out and hoisting her fists in the air as a professional boxer. Now? She's holding her ground opposite freaking Clarice Starling in her first television role. It's been incredible to watch.

Back to it: in episode 3, we see exactly why Navarro is so attached to Annie K. When Navarro was still working alongside Danvers, she was tasked with arresting Annie for trespassing in Ennis's mines. We see Navarro bust down Annie's door, only to find that she's running the area's last birthing center—and she's mid-delivery. Instead of arresting Annie, Navarro helps her instead.

Why Navarro beefed with Danvers in the first place. This is key. Early on, Danvers tells Prior the bedtime story. Once, Danvers and Navarro received domestic violence reports concerning a man named William Wheeler, who "took up with an 18-year-old girl." The victim wouldn't file a report, so there's nothing they could do. Eventually, Navarro and Danvers are called to his house, where he shot the girl—and himself, according to Danvers—but we never see it. Instead, Night Country shows Wheeler at the scene, whistling a very familiar tune to Navarro and Danvers. I hate to refer you to season 1's terrible antagonist, Errol Childress, but yeah—it sure sounds like the same song.

One last Navarro tidbit: She was raised in Alaska by her mother and a "bad dad." Mom took the family to Boston to get away from the father, then returned to Alaska. When they came home, she struggled with mental health issues, ran away one day, and was mysteriously killed in the wilderness. Another Ennis resident running into the tundra to their death? Let's save that info for later.

Giant Ennis polar bear... is that you?

Danvers Says, "thank u, next"

Let's take a minute to catch up on the case, the investigation of which gives us a brilliant look into Danvers's deep knowledge of Ariana Grande's discography. Like we did last week, let's break this down in a somewhat digestible way:

Annie K. and Raymond Clark's Relationship: Thanks to the heroic efforts of Puddle the Unicorn, we know a few new things about how Annie met Raymond. Annie's hairdresser was the Tsalal lab's resident barber. Annie begged to go with her to the lab and she eventually obliged. Then! Annie and Raymond fell in love, apparently. They kept their relationship a secret from everyone except for one person—who once took a candid photo of them frolicking on the beach.

Oliver Tagaq Enters the Ring: Yet another subplot in episode 3 sends our detectives on the trail of a Tsalal member who left the lab just in time: Oliver Tagaq. Navarro and Danvers eventually find out that he's living in a nomadic hunting colony, so of course, they drive straight to it. Mr. Tagaq is (understandably) pretty pissed about his unannounced visitors, so he chases them out with a shotgun—but not before saying some creepy shit to Navarro. He asks about her name and almost seems to know her, but they drive away before we get any answers there.

Vinny Delivers the Goods: Our favorite The Graduate-ignorant detective boy calls up a veterinarian to inspect the still-thawing Tsalal crew. His verdict? They didn't freeze to death. They were attacked by someone—or something. Let's rule out the paradoxical hypothermia thing.

Voodoo ET Cosmic Coompa Loompa Bullshit: As coined by Danvers, of course. We'll discuss the latest supernatural development when we get to Night Country's big Regan MacNeil moment, but what about the dreams? At one point in episode 3, Navarro moseys around the titular night country, presumably looking for Clark. She sees a figure in the distance—is Daddy Cohle playing tour guide again?—then slips and falls. When Navarro is unconscious, a little girl puts a hand on her shoulder, similar to Danvers's dream from episode 1. She's holding a polar bear, too. If Ennis is really where dreams and reality collide, are the two planes of existence colliding into each other? Will I sound like a stoned Rust Cohle if I suggest the stuffed polar bear is the big Smokey the Bear-looking animal that Navarro almost ran over with her car? Both of them have missing eyes, but... yes. Yes I will. [Ed note: Would work better in all caps, like I freaking told you. See previous note.]

True Detective: The Yellow King Made Me Do It

OK, here it is—the scene that'll make absolutely sure that you don't get any sleep tonight. At the end of the episode, Danvers and Navarro pay a visit to Mr. Tsalal Scientist Who Survived the Corpsicle. His list of injuries is so severe that it's pretty damn tough to believe he's still alive (wink, wink): two amputated legs, frostbitten extremities, blindness. Danvers enters his room and rather futilely asks him why his crew left the laboratory on that fateful night. His response? AGGGHGHGHGHGHGHOOWWOWOWAGHHHHHHHRAWRRRRR. [Ed note: Now we're talking.] Then: "I woke her and now she’s out their looking for us in the dark."

Before she can chase that promising line of questioning, Hank Prior's search party—which Danvers repeatedly called a group of "rednecks" throughout the episode—storms the hospital. While Danvers deals with, you know, that, Navarro peeks in on our newly thawed friend. Once again, just to scare the living shit out of you, he bolts upright in the bed, and belts, "Hello, Evangeline. Your mother says hello. She’s waiting for you." Then he flatlines.

gather 'round the evidence circle

The Best 'True Detective' Fan Theories

'True Detective: Night Country': Best Easter Eggs

Well, uh, shit! Before I go full Reddit on you, there is a possibility—just like a few other moments from this season—that this is a dream and/or illusion. The drinking water in this town is still the color of concrete, and I stuffed last week's recap with NIH papers about the causes and effects of cold-induced mass psychosis. This episode made an effort to tell us about the history of mental health issues in Navarro's family. But if this man really is possessed, we have a lot to talk about.

Of course, the main question is who possessed him in that moment. It has to be the she he mentioned to Danvers—the very same she we learned of in the first episode. ("She's awake," remember?) Do the Tsalal scientists worship a god in a similar way to how season 1's cult worshipped The Yellow King? With Night Country's compulsive season 1 references, are we simply dealing with The Yellow King here? And is that entity what killed Annie in that shady cellphone video?

EITHER WAY, WITH ONLY THREE EPISODES LEFT IN THE SEASON, IT SEEMS LIKELY THAT WE'LL GET SOME REAL ANSWERS NEXT WEEK. SEE YOU THEN.

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

She is not. So much so that it's distracting. 

Honestly, I don't find her acting that bad in this, especially for a former boxer. She's perhaps a little one-dimensional.

• Like 2

I haven’t watched the 3rd episode yet, but how are they going to Scooby-Doo their way out of having a real supernatural element at this point? The reindeer engaged in a mass suicide at the beginning, and Ghost Travis led  Rose Aguineau to the frozen bodies. Hallucinations from the drinking water would just be lame and wouldn’t explain how Rose found the bodies unless she was the one that put them there. 

I think at this point, after three prior seasons, the biggest swerve to viewers would actually be to have a supernatural explanation. Or at least some sort of sci-fi explanation like that Clark was so distraught over Annie K’s death that he tried to resurrect her from the tissue/DNA of her tongue using the genetic sequencing research they were doing at TSALAL, and what he produced was a horrible Frankenstein’s monster that killed everyone. That’s who he’s referring to when he says “She’s awake” right before they all disappeared. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Esquire is helping me fill in some holes that I missed in the first three episodes (either due to fatigue or late-might inebriation):

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a46553371/true-detective-season-4-episode-3-recap/

Hide contents

HERE'S ANOTHER TRUE DETECTIVE: NIGHT COUNTRY RECAP, ESQUIRE READERS. I NEED YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT—what? My editor dared me to write this entire recap just like Danvers constructs her text messages: in all-caps with a slight hint of panic. Not working for you? [Ed note: Please revert to all caps like I told you to.]

So far, season 4 hasn't picked a side: it flirted with the idea of blowing up season 1's cosmic-supernatural-creepo happenings into a full-blown story arc but it also maintained a strong basis of true-crime possibilities, by way of Danvers's science and fact-based investigation. Before this week, we saw the ghost of Daddy Cohle, a big-ass polar bear in the middle of Ennis's streets, and a potentially demonic DVD copy of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. But it was still unclear whether or not Night Country's otherworldly elements would take a backseat to earthly horrors (see: the very-real Tuttle family's crimes at the heart of season 1's Yellow King plot).

A Tsalal scientist erupting in a fit of demonic possession settled that one for us. Let's dive in—just make sure to set your Tinder radius to Fairbanks first.

Navarro Exposition Time

At long last, Night Country finally treats us to some extended time with Navarro. But before I get there, a moment of praise for Kali Reis. Two years ago, she was knocking opponents out and hoisting her fists in the air as a professional boxer. Now? She's holding her ground opposite freaking Clarice Starling in her first television role. It's been incredible to watch.

Back to it: in episode 3, we see exactly why Navarro is so attached to Annie K. When Navarro was still working alongside Danvers, she was tasked with arresting Annie for trespassing in Ennis's mines. We see Navarro bust down Annie's door, only to find that she's running the area's last birthing center—and she's mid-delivery. Instead of arresting Annie, Navarro helps her instead.

Why Navarro beefed with Danvers in the first place. This is key. Early on, Danvers tells Prior the bedtime story. Once, Danvers and Navarro received domestic violence reports concerning a man named William Wheeler, who "took up with an 18-year-old girl." The victim wouldn't file a report, so there's nothing they could do. Eventually, Navarro and Danvers are called to his house, where he shot the girl—and himself, according to Danvers—but we never see it. Instead, Night Country shows Wheeler at the scene, whistling a very familiar tune to Navarro and Danvers. I hate to refer you to season 1's terrible antagonist, Errol Childress, but yeah—it sure sounds like the same song.

One last Navarro tidbit: She was raised in Alaska by her mother and a "bad dad." Mom took the family to Boston to get away from the father, then returned to Alaska. When they came home, she struggled with mental health issues, ran away one day, and was mysteriously killed in the wilderness. Another Ennis resident running into the tundra to their death? Let's save that info for later.

Giant Ennis polar bear... is that you?

Danvers Says, "thank u, next"

Let's take a minute to catch up on the case, the investigation of which gives us a brilliant look into Danvers's deep knowledge of Ariana Grande's discography. Like we did last week, let's break this down in a somewhat digestible way:

Annie K. and Raymond Clark's Relationship: Thanks to the heroic efforts of Puddle the Unicorn, we know a few new things about how Annie met Raymond. Annie's hairdresser was the Tsalal lab's resident barber. Annie begged to go with her to the lab and she eventually obliged. Then! Annie and Raymond fell in love, apparently. They kept their relationship a secret from everyone except for one person—who once took a candid photo of them frolicking on the beach.

Oliver Tagaq Enters the Ring: Yet another subplot in episode 3 sends our detectives on the trail of a Tsalal member who left the lab just in time: Oliver Tagaq. Navarro and Danvers eventually find out that he's living in a nomadic hunting colony, so of course, they drive straight to it. Mr. Tagaq is (understandably) pretty pissed about his unannounced visitors, so he chases them out with a shotgun—but not before saying some creepy shit to Navarro. He asks about her name and almost seems to know her, but they drive away before we get any answers there.

Vinny Delivers the Goods: Our favorite The Graduate-ignorant detective boy calls up a veterinarian to inspect the still-thawing Tsalal crew. His verdict? They didn't freeze to death. They were attacked by someone—or something. Let's rule out the paradoxical hypothermia thing.

Voodoo ET Cosmic Coompa Loompa Bullshit: As coined by Danvers, of course. We'll discuss the latest supernatural development when we get to Night Country's big Regan MacNeil moment, but what about the dreams? At one point in episode 3, Navarro moseys around the titular night country, presumably looking for Clark. She sees a figure in the distance—is Daddy Cohle playing tour guide again?—then slips and falls. When Navarro is unconscious, a little girl puts a hand on her shoulder, similar to Danvers's dream from episode 1. She's holding a polar bear, too. If Ennis is really where dreams and reality collide, are the two planes of existence colliding into each other? Will I sound like a stoned Rust Cohle if I suggest the stuffed polar bear is the big Smokey the Bear-looking animal that Navarro almost ran over with her car? Both of them have missing eyes, but... yes. Yes I will. [Ed note: Would work better in all caps, like I freaking told you. See previous note.]

True Detective: The Yellow King Made Me Do It

OK, here it is—the scene that'll make absolutely sure that you don't get any sleep tonight. At the end of the episode, Danvers and Navarro pay a visit to Mr. Tsalal Scientist Who Survived the Corpsicle. His list of injuries is so severe that it's pretty damn tough to believe he's still alive (wink, wink): two amputated legs, frostbitten extremities, blindness. Danvers enters his room and rather futilely asks him why his crew left the laboratory on that fateful night. His response? AGGGHGHGHGHGHGHOOWWOWOWAGHHHHHHHRAWRRRRR. [Ed note: Now we're talking.] Then: "I woke her and now she’s out their looking for us in the dark."

Before she can chase that promising line of questioning, Hank Prior's search party—which Danvers repeatedly called a group of "rednecks" throughout the episode—storms the hospital. While Danvers deals with, you know, that, Navarro peeks in on our newly thawed friend. Once again, just to scare the living shit out of you, he bolts upright in the bed, and belts, "Hello, Evangeline. Your mother says hello. She’s waiting for you." Then he flatlines.

gather 'round the evidence circle

The Best 'True Detective' Fan Theories

'True Detective: Night Country': Best Easter Eggs

Well, uh, shit! Before I go full Reddit on you, there is a possibility—just like a few other moments from this season—that this is a dream and/or illusion. The drinking water in this town is still the color of concrete, and I stuffed last week's recap with NIH papers about the causes and effects of cold-induced mass psychosis. This episode made an effort to tell us about the history of mental health issues in Navarro's family. But if this man really is possessed, we have a lot to talk about.

Of course, the main question is who possessed him in that moment. It has to be the she he mentioned to Danvers—the very same she we learned of in the first episode. ("She's awake," remember?) Do the Tsalal scientists worship a god in a similar way to how season 1's cult worshipped The Yellow King? With Night Country's compulsive season 1 references, are we simply dealing with The Yellow King here? And is that entity what killed Annie in that shady cellphone video?

EITHER WAY, WITH ONLY THREE EPISODES LEFT IN THE SEASON, IT SEEMS LIKELY THAT WE'LL GET SOME REAL ANSWERS NEXT WEEK. SEE YOU THEN.

This got a lot wrong.  I don't fully understand why the hillbilly posse stormed the hospital?  What was that?

I don't have the same allergic reaction to this season as a bunch of y'all do.  I'm enjoying it.  

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I haven’t watched the 3rd episode yet, but how are they going to Scooby-Doo their way out of having a real supernatural element at this point? The reindeer engaged in a mass suicide at the beginning, and Ghost Travis led  Rose Aguineau to the frozen bodies. Hallucinations from the drinking water would just be lame and wouldn’t explain how Rose found the bodies unless she was the one that put them there. 

I think at this point, after three prior seasons, the biggest swerve to viewers would actually be to have a supernatural explanation. Or at least some sort of sci-fi explanation like that Clark was so distraught over Annie K’s death that he tried to resurrect her from the tissue/DNA of her tongue using the genetic sequencing research they were doing at TSALAL, and what he produced was a horrible Frankenstein’s monster that killed everyone. That’s who he’s referring to when he says “She’s awake” right before they all disappeared. 

Some of your questions from the first graf are addressed in the third episode.

12 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

This got a lot wrong.  I don't fully understand why the hillbilly posse stormed the hospital?  What was that?

I don't have the same allergic reaction to this season as a bunch of y'all do.  I'm enjoying it.  

I was utterly confused by the kerfuffle at the hospital. Had no clue what was going on -- but it was clearly a device by the show-runners to get Danvers out of Lund's hospital room so Navarro could have her interaction with "him."

The orange getting tossed back at her was perplexing. I would've shit my pants if that happened to me. Also, the manhunt for Clark seemed like a really good way for a bunch of them to die due to exposure.

• Hook 'Em 2

The orange coming back, the "demonic possession" outburst out of Neil/Bob/Eileen during the hospital visit, the hypnotic call of whatever was luring Navarro before her radio jolted her back to The White Man's Reality, and other miscellaneous weird shit happening to Navarro seem like they are the same sorts of spooky things that her sister is experiencing, and that (I think?) some of their other family members have experienced in the past. 

It's my hunch that Navarro will be able to escape from it (or otherwise vanquish it) on account of not knowing her Inuit name, and therefore the entity won't be able to fully fuck with her or whatever. 

I’m enjoying it so far. It’s obviously a bit scattershot but it’s got some interesting stuff. 
The biggest issue with the show is Navarro. She’s not a good actress at all and I don’t really care much about her backstory and her sister. Get more Jodie on screen

Navarro reminds me of Marilyn from northern exposure. I’d like to understand this family tree. She and sisters have different names.

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

My pet theory is that they're all suffering from some degree of mass delusion due to:

• Tainted water supply both Tsalal and the mining operation tapped into by digging up some ancient virus/bacteria that promises everlasting life but causes hallucinations, and/or
  • The perpetual dark/twilight is making them go a bit mad on top of the stress of the moment.

I'm curious when the forensics expert sent up from Anchorage arrives and who it might be.

Bingo. This is my theory too. 

On 1/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, Buzzrock said:

There was a character named Clark in The Thing as well, and for some reason that gives me nice nostalgia vibes.

They also mentioned a Childs and Blair, I believe.  No sign yet of Nauls, Palmer, Windows, or MacReady.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I’m actually hoping it’s something supernatural but it comes about from the actual scientific investigation they’re doing.  Because, to me, it’s gonna be even worse if they try to tie this together with something naturally causing this mess of a plot.  I’ll stay in but yeah it’s struggling.  Still can end up decent imo.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

This is my problem with Lopez. She says she is inspired by movies she watched but in reality she has zero originality and just walks the fine line of plagiarism. 

Gonna be even more obvious when somebody gets tied to a fucking couch!

• Haha 1

Seems to me that it would be really really cold on your face when you are walking around on the ice in the snowy wind in perpetual darkness.  Like damage your skin cold.

Danvers mentioned her Tinder reached Fairbanks?  -19/-27/-33 the next 3 days in Fairbanks.  That is not safe to walk around in for hours.

Othern that I'm going to keep watching to see where in the actual fuck this is going to end up.

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

That scene cracks me up every time I watch it.  

Me too. I saw The Thing for the very first time as a relatively young kid. This was back when VHS was just becoming a thing. It scared the shit out of me but this scene was what I remembered and loved.

• Like 1

I'm struggling with it.  We've watched the last few Monday nights and I just went to bed 10 minutes before it got over last night and told my wife to tell me what happens.

They hit such a home run with Season 1 and have just never followed up.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm struggling with it.  We've watched the last few Monday nights and I just went to bed 10 minutes before it got over last night and told my wife to tell me what happens.

They hit such a home run with Season 1 and have just never followed up.

It's just so cluttered. At some points I really enjoy it, but at a lot of others I find myself wanting to look at my phone. Scripts need tightening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's just so cluttered. At some points I really enjoy it, but at a lot of others I find myself wanting to look at my phone. Scripts need tightening. 

Yes.  Exactly.

I just did season 5 of Fargo, and binged a few of the earlier seasons in between the new episodes.  This is just nowhere near as good as that, and that recent comparison is really hurting it for me.

The criticism on Reddit is crazy about the fact it was filmed in Iceland rather than on the Alaskan north slope in a tiny village. They have no clue how remote or cold or how little infrastructure is in a town like Wainwright Alaska, population 638.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:18 AM, speed817 said:

I'll take Briscoe and Curtis any day.....

https://ew.com/thmb/NKxuxh7s6WeI4zOGbHSyoFFg6LI=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/law-order-briscoe-green_400_0-1c200edb179d463b9314ec385ffe3080.jpg

that's actually Briscoe and Ed Green.

this is Briscoe and Curtis. 

law-order-curtis-briscoe_400-a89e09843df

which was the better pairing? that's for the fan to decide.

some might say Briscoe and Logan were the best.

law-order-logan-briscoe_400-108cdf8d8497

all of this to say that the more supernaturally this season of True Detective gets, the more i lose interest. but i'll watch until the end.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

all of this to say that the more supernaturally this season of True Detective gets, the more i lose interest. but i'll watch until the end.

Ah yea you're right....

6 minutes ago, huge said:

Orbach had an interesting career.  Dude could sing and dance, in addition to playing gangsters and cops.

yep.  it blows people's minds when they first learn he was a Broadway musical star (it did to me).  dude originated the Billy Flynn role in Chicago. he'd crack the Tsalal case.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

yep.  it blows people's minds when they first learn he was a Broadway musical star (it did to me).  dude originated the Billy Flynn role in Chicago. he'd crack the Tsalal case.

Was also Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast animated Disney film 1991.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I vote the OG

MV5BZWJlODAxYTAtOGY2Zi00ZjFlLWI5MmQtYWVl

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Chewbacca said:

She does?  Might need a rewatch.  I know it's sacrilege around these parts, but I think she's hotter than Daddario.

The lady and I are rewatching it right now hoping to pick up some clues for this season. And because this season is so confusing.

But yea we just watched ep 4 and she’s naked in that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1